• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's raids will not support online matchmaking with random players.

Homeboyd

ODST firefight being great had nothing to do with a lack of matchmaking. Let me guess, you think Gears 3 horde would have been better without matchmaking?
lol I don't even know what you're talking about. I've never played Gears 3 horde.

My point was, attempting something like the vidmasters in ODST FF would be a lot more difficult to complete with randoms than people who were coordinating efforts to completing the challenge and this seems similar in some regards. I've explained myself pretty thoroughly in other posts in this thread... just not specifically to you directly.

Seem to have gotten side-tracked on the matchmaking w/ lag issue which had nothing to do with my original point at all.

This is a terrible idea. Bungie is simply assuming that 5 skilled randoms teaming up and spending hours together won't work together to complete the raid. And that's pretty stupid for a game that is focusing so much on being a "social" experience. I mean the alternative now is to friend random people on NeoGAF...wasn't the whole point of this decision for me to NOT play with people I don't know?

What the fuck.

depward

Yeah I don't like this. Let us pop into matchmaking. I really only GAME game with two other people; now I need to apparently find three others?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Except you're not allowed to attempt it unless you go out of your way to find 5 other people OUTSIDE of the game. It's a ridiculous restriction that makes no sense. There's no excuse for not having the option.

Having the option would mean that people would be non-stop throwing themselves into a brick fucking wall when they are getting matched up with randoms.

It's a mode dedicated to pre-made groups that use mics. It's specifically designed just for it. I really don't understand the confusion, there is tons of shit to do with randoms if you want.

Or it could be a fun experience. Why limit giving players a choice?

Because going into an extremely difficult grueling raid that may be hours long, with people you can't communicate with, is more often than not going to frustrating and not provide a satisfying gaming experience.

The raids are not meant for casual players looking for 45 mins of fun, there are plenty of other options in the game for that. Raids sound like they are built specifically with clans and organized groups in mind.

Bessy67

That's disappointing. Now in order to do a raid you'll pretty much have to go to a forum and find 5 other people willing to do it first.

That's terrible.
Why not give people the option at least?
They are cutting out a huge number of potential players by doing this.
Some people just want to join a game and not deal with the hassle of organizing an online get-together.

TheXbox

I don't understand why they wouldn't include MM. It's not like people using MM to complete raids interferes with people who want to play with their friends. Only a few of my friends play video games, and the ones that do play CoD and Dota, so it's pretty much impossible for me to actually take part in this thing.

It's not a huge loss considering there appears to only be one in the launch game, but still disappointing.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Except you're not allowed to attempt it unless you go out of your way to find 5 other people OUTSIDE of the game. It's a ridiculous restriction that makes no sense. There's no excuse for not having the option.

It would be horrible PUGing a Raid IMO, you need everyone to have coms or you're gimped from the get-go.

Was bad enough doing Strikes with people bugging out halfway into it... when I rolled with others with mics, so much better.

Quality of life my friend, QoL.

syko de4d

Go ahead.

the raid is not a jump in a play mode.

according to Bungie it takes hours and you can't just leave once you start.

there are enough MMOs with super long raids that have done it. And when a player leaves in the middle of the raid the LFG tool just looks for a new player to join.

Two Words

Ugh, this is dumb. What if I want to do a raid but nobody wants to that I am friends with? What is the problem with matchmaking raids? Just let us talk with them in raids. Their logic is flawed. They disable matchmaking voice chat, so therefore they must disable matchmaking raids because it needs voice chat?

Sai-kun

Banned
Because going into an extremely difficult grueling raid that may be hours long, with people you can't communicate with, is more often than not going to frustrating and not provide a satisfying gaming experience.

The raids are not meant for casual players looking for 45 mins of fun, there are plenty of other options in the game for that. Raids sound like they are built specifically with clans and organized groups in mind.

And yet, people in World of Warcraft have managed to make it work.

BigDug13

The game is full of content. I never beat Terramorphous or any other BL2 raid boss except for the Bee+Conference Call days and it didn't stop me from feeling like BL2 had a metric butt-ton of content.

If you just want to jump on and play, you probably don't want to do it with the game's most difficult and time-consuming content.

Pretty sure he'd like the option though. Just because someone's on my friends list doesn't inherently mean we will do better at these missions. I've been matched up with some pretty awesome players.

This is a stupid move.

Not fan of this. For a few reasons, one being I don't have much "online friends", two I'm not the type to scheduled my gaming. I just want to jump on and play. Randoms would do me fine.

i agree with you. this really sucks balls and i dont like it! i hope they change this is not like they would affect anyone but the random dudes

This will be a serious problem for me then.

If it's like an MMO raid then Group Finder feature to play w/ strangers is pretty much standard.

Having the option would mean that people would be non-stop throwing themselves into a brick fucking wall when they are getting matched up with randoms.

It's a mode dedicated to pre-made groups that use mics. It's specifically designed just for it. I really don't understand the confusion, there is tons of shit to do with randoms if you want.

So who gives a shit? If I want to run face first into a brick wall I should have the option. There is absolutely no downside to having the option. When you don't have the option you're effectively gating off the content for people unless they want to go out of their way to recruit other players outside of the game. Which for a lot of people is not something that is particularly enticing.

It would be horrible PUGing a Raid IMO, you need everyone to have coms or you're gimped from the get-go.

Was bad enough doing Strikes with people bugging out halfway into it... when I rolled with others with mics, so much better.

Quality of life my friend, QoL.

Having the option no way effects your premade groups and quality of life. Your argument against it makes no sense, I'm sorry. Having the option does not detract from being able to make a full premade group of 6 people at all.

Orayn

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by "friends-only" I assume they mean people who have joined your fireteam rather than people in your OS-level friends list. It's possible to set your fireteam to open, which allows anyone to group with you by highlighting your character and choosing the "Join Fireteam" option that pops up.

So yeah, that would make it technically possible to attempt with randoms, and I'm sure players will decide on an informal "stand here with an open fireteam for raids" spot in the Tower relatively quickly. Some sort of LFG status that sets you fireteam to open and puts a "JOIN ME!" icon above your nameplate would be better, though.

Ugh, this is dumb. What if I want to do a raid but nobody wants to that I am friends with? What is the problem with matchmaking raids? Just let us talk with them in raids. Their logic is flawed. They disable matchmaking voice chat, so therefore they must disable matchmaking raids because it needs voice chat?

chat has nothing to do with it.

Vandiger

That's disappointing. Now in order to do a raid you'll pretty much have to go to a forum and find 5 other people willing to do it first.

Why? Have you not played games like WOW or any decent MMORPG? When raiding in difficult areas you need some hardcore players. Usually you get some great items when you put in the work. Playing with some randoms is a recipe for disaster.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's terrible.
Why not give people the option at least?
They are cutting out a huge number of potential players by doing this.
Some people just want to join a game and not deal with the hassle of organizing an online get-together.

This mode is made specifically with these people in mind though.

Are you sure? Maybe I've had bad luck but I never heard anyone speaking in my fireteams except when I was grouped with people on my friend list.
Can confirm, I've had random people join my fireteam when I've set it to "open" and if their mic is connected they can just start talking to you

BigDug13

Time to add everyone from DestinyGAF on my friendlist I guess.

Doesn't forming a clan negate the need to do this? I'm really looking for an answer to this. Is a "clan" treated like a group of friends without needing to manually add each player?

Bsigg12

I think major thing will be communication. Right now, what we played in the beta only allowed you to talk to your fireteam. Bungie isn't doing proximity chat because they don't want you to run into that one guy screaming or playing music into his mic and ruin the game for you.

By not allowing matchmaking or voice chat with strangers, they are putting a premium on making sure you can establish a group of people in order to compete these raids. It might suck for people who don't have 5 other friends playing the game at the same time who want to run a raid and with them being multiple hours long, it may be even harder to establish those groups. We'll be fine here on GAF since we can set groups up here than meet up online but not everyone has that luxury of a community like ours.

Pastry

Banned

Ding ding ding. This is the real issue here. The way the clan system worked in the beta you'll be forced to form the group outside of the game. At a minimum we will need an option to flag ourselves as LFG to our clan and group members in game. And I still want this to have matchmaking, I like randoms :(

Recall

The game is full of content. I never beat Terramorphous or any other BL2 raid boss except for the Bee+Conference Call days and it didn't stop me from feeling like BL2 had a metric butt-ton of content.

The game isn't out you have no idea on amount of content, the same as no one really knew with Borderlands until it came out and they added DLC.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I will not be happy if they cave in again and dumb down the difficulty because randoms found it too hard for them.

What would be wrong with having a lower difficulty with lower rewards for people that would like to see this content but are unable to have a dedicated group?

BigDug13

Can confirm, I've had random people join my fireteam when I've set it to "open" and if their mic is connected they can just start talking to you

Ok but how does that affect this specific situation where you need the 6 FRIENDS formed before starting the raid?

Does the Destiny GAF Clan formed in-game count towards that requirement without manually adding each person to your friend list?

Top Bottom