• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Withnail

It's clearly a prototype.

I would need to hold it before passing judgement but it doesn't look too bad. Not a fan of the sticks shown in the picture but happy that it keeps the symmetrical placement.

I think the touchpad could be quite cool.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So what functionality is the touch pad supposed to serve then? It doesn't seem practical, unless its just for swiping through the OS?

Swiping through lists quickly but accurately, scrubbing throu your captured video so you can select the right part to share, flicking through photos or scrolling web browser pages.
For games it could add some nice accuracy and adjustability for eg a LBP editor.

Plenty of gestures that iPhone etc use would be relevant on a touchpad

There is something strange going on with the shoulder buttons. It almost looks like there is only room for 2 shoulder buttons.

I think they will be staggered+angled. Look at the Move nav controller.

3fV38Un.jpg

Kinect isn't exactly as proven a science as touch-screens. The Move also functions better and has been less force-fed this gen to gamers. Plus, this also doesn't look super-expensive, although I expect a controller to be $60-75 now for PS4.

This rough controller has a lot going for it, if it's real. The d-pad and improved sticks alone... it's a refinement and not a 100% redo, which I always appreciate.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-6855-Kinect-Costs-$56-To-Manufacture-According-To-UBM-TechInsights.html

Sony has no shame. Are they really going to try to sell screens on controllers having seen Nintendo innovate that approach with the WiiU? Ripping off rumble from the N64 controller, motion controls with the Sixaxis, and now SCREENS with this unnamed PS4 controller, I have never been more disappointed. Can they not come up with an innovative idea for once in their companies lives? At least with the Vita they at least tried to innovate with rear touch panel capabilities, but this is just getting ridiculous. Sony I sincerely hope you change your plans while you have the time. Maybe then will I consider dropping money on this travesty.
Trust me sir, you're not the only one disgusted by these tactics. Rising above the clear corporate machine is something we as gamers must do. Onward we must push in order to secure a place where we as gamers are no longer taken advantage of. Look, I know some of you fine folk are okay with blatant plagiarism in the industry. Let us reject in this instance though the clear shenanigans and gimmickery this controller represents. I know I won't be there day 1 for PS4's launch. Nor will I be there for day 2 of PS4's launch. Gone are the days where honor was a concept that pervaded the Japanese gaming industry.

I love you.

jsnepo

Keep the gifs in the other thread please.

Anyway, I wonder what kind of force feedback we'll be getting with this thing.

mgcastro

Any chance that touch pad is provisional and the final piece will feature a touch screen?

I'm honestly lost as to what's the functional or gamechanging purpose of the touchpad.

Like the d-pad and the quasi-concave analog sticks. Touch pad looks inoffensive enough, assuming it's primarily intended to replace the Start/Select buttons

I hope the touchpad is multitouch. Two finger tap for friends list, three for sending message, four for chat window, etc.

I think one of the articles mentioned that it's two-finger multi-touch. Then again, it looks like two fingers is all a person could fit on that small space.

PaulLFC

Sony has no shame. Are they really going to try to sell screens on controllers having seen Nintendo innovate that approach with the WiiU? Ripping off rumble from the N64 controller, motion controls with the Sixaxis, and now SCREENS with this unnamed PS4 controller, I have never been more disappointed. Can they not come up with an innovative idea for once in their companies lives? At least with the Vita they at least tried to innovate with rear touch panel capabilities, but this is just getting ridiculous. Sony I sincerely hope you change your plans while you have the time. Maybe then will I consider dropping money on this travesty.
Except it isn't a screen. As for "ripping off" motion controls, Eyetoy says hello.

Tell me you're serious.

Nintendo needs to sue here, I take seriously the idea that a company should be encouraged to create their own ideas versus leeching off of other successful products. On this controller I see the heart and soul of the WiiU and Dreamcast. Positioned in the center where everyone can see it is everything wrong with the gaming industry today. End this Sony.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
headphone jack... wtf is everyone talking about.

that makes no sense. if you use headphones they get run through a receiver... It would be a huge waste to wirelessly transmit the audio signal to the controller to be processed and exported through a headphone jack... let alone a huge waste of power/battery life.

Perhaps some people don't own a receiver? Perhaps some people that do own one occasionally want to just slob out on the sofa and not trail a headphone cable across the room?

Doesn't need to be a battery hog - if the headphones aren't plugged in, it doesn't bother streaming the audio.

One thing is for sure: PS4's FIFA will be the definitive version. I LOVE the feature in Vita where you can shoot by touching, with the touchpad being the net. Touch top right and the shot will be top right. It's very precise and very amazing.

Man

Maybe the Blu-ray drive and PSEyes are located on the same small unit with a cable leading down to the hidden powerbrick / actual processing hardware.

KalBalboa

Banned
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-6855-Kinect-Costs-$56-To-Manufacture-According-To-UBM-TechInsights.html

Makes you wonder why a Kinect costs consumers considerably more, but I'm thinking more in respect to a Wii U control pad.

This looks like it wont cost me as much.

Jezbollah

Question: Will we see the final controller/console designs next week?

I think what we've seen with this prototype is what Sony etc will need to show the console functioning next week and at E3.

I think what we see when the PS4 is released will be different - refined and finalised for mass manufacturing.

Takuya

Banned
Nintendo needs to sue here, I take seriously the idea that a company should be encouraged to create their own ideas versus leeching off of other successful products.
On this controller I see the heart and soul of the WiiU and Dreamcast.
Positioned in the center where everyone can see it is everything wrong with the gaming industry today.
End this Sony.

So Sony is still safe.

Roo

Nintendo needs to sue here, I take seriously the idea that a company should be encouraged to create their own ideas versus leeching off of other successful products. On this controller I see the heart and soul of the WiiU and Dreamcast. Positioned in the center where everyone can see it is everything wrong with the gaming industry today. End this Sony.

k...

that makes no sense. if you use headphones they get run through a receiver... It would be a huge waste to wirelessly transmit the audio signal to the controller to be processed and exported through a headphone jack... let alone a huge waste of power/battery life.

360 controller has it. There is no waste of power/battery life. It's in fact better as you don't use the additional bluetooth slot and you can use a $10 headset that Sony can supply with the console, making sure that every console has a headset and thus making it useful for once.

KalBalboa

Banned

Heh.

150 dollar camera vs a touch panel in the controller

You know the pricing of next gen Kinect? Please do tell. If you're basing it on current gen, then the 150 dollar part isn't accurate nor is the comparison accurate since that 150 dollar camera you're mentionning supports up to 4 players while Move doesn't. I don't want open the discussion Move vs. Kinect again because neither of them are cheap.

Kinect isn't exactly as proven a science as touch-screens. The Move also functions better and has been less force-fed this gen to gamers. Plus, this also doesn't look super-expensive, although I expect a controller to be $60-75 now for PS4.

This rough controller has a lot going for it, if it's real. The d-pad and improved sticks alone... it's a refinement and not a 100% redo, which I always appreciate.

Who says I was referring to the touch screen only? The leaked images show what's probably a microphone, move and touch pad in a single controller. How is that any different from bundling Kinect in a box? And it's not about the level of force feeding this gen because how things look like as of now, both Microsoft and Sony will force feed you their gimmick crap, yet people despise Microsoft for it and applaud Sony for it.

Loudninja

Yeah this is a joke confirmed haha.

Its hard to tell sometimes.

rdrr gnr

You had me at the first post. Losing steam, bro.

ASIS

Well, at least this is entertaining.

Oppo

The trackpad looks small, but let's not forget what the BB people were using until recently...

1uOQX2G.jpg

That silly little squircle thing was surprisingly adroit in getting around a web page in pointer mode. I was surprised.

ekim

There is no screen on that controller. That's a touchpad like the one on your notebook.

Bgamer90

Banned

???

Do you have the Xbox 360?

Top Bottom