• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Theman2k

cyC6kfL.gif

and we have a winner :)

demolitio

All I can say is:

Don't worry.

You honestly think that could happen here? People will worry over everything similar to the Boomerang controller even before we saw hands-on of it and they all have their own ideas of what makes the perfect controller and think that their opinions are fact. Combine that with the people that have already enlisted in an army for the Console Wars and there's always going to be a lot of worrying...lol

At least we know how the DS feels in our hands so people know if they like it or not. Not sure why so many people thought they were going to move the stick just because they like it more as if no one likes the current position. I have big hands so I find both consoles' controller comfortable in a lot of ways but I still prefer my DS3 personally. That doesn't make it a fact that it's better though like some proclaim. :p

FLAguy954

244985-ibb.jpg

OH FUCK, I just realized something. What if the light on top of the controller functions similarly to the blue orbs on the move controllers. Could this mean that the controller would be used in conjunction with the cameras in some way?

So what the problem with DS3? I keep it in that way and have no problem that every one complaining about, like bad L2/R2 triggers, thumbs bitching each other, or it is too small.

5WGS8o7.jpg

6URE4th.jpg

Things.

Also: The touchpad isn't necessarily something you'd want to use 'instead' or at the same time as the analog sticks while playing...

I would see it as a complimentary addition to the available inputs.

Assuming the new controller has a touchpad, of course. ;-)

Any of this.

People bitch about everything until it comes out and then everything goes quit. It's like when a baby is crying for a bottle and they only shut up once they have it since they're too busy using it.

Pretty sure the baby stops crying because its hard to audibly cry with a nipple or bottle in your mouth. I don't think you'll hear any less complaining about consoles/controllers if people still think the design isn't that great. Doesn't mean they won't buy it, but it also doesn't mean they'll like all aspects of it.

Maybe I'm just lucky to have big hands, but this is exactly where I'd want the touchpad. The only issue would be if you had to track from one side to the other with the same thumb, in which case I'd just let go of the back of the pad with one hand.

Other than the fact that this is obviously a cheap, unpolished mockup, I'm generally encouraged. Worst part is the bulky top and even that doesn't bother me too much.

I'm just thrilled to see a Vita style D-pad and the new sticks look good.

Are you trying to assault that thing? I suppose I see your point if you wrap your hand around the top of it like that.
I'm just trying to give an idea of the range I will have using the pad while gripped with two hands. While using the pad regularly, with two hands, as I do for most games. The most I expect to be able to do with this touch pad is tap on it with each thumb. Which is pretty much what I can do but clicking in on the thumb sticks or pushing any of the 4 face buttons (or the start/select buttons if they were even used).

Sure there might be some new possibilities to use the touch pad in interesting ways while holding the controller one handed and using an index finger to swipe around. But it feels like the controller is just adding me too features that won't benefit in regular games. I'm still having to take my thumb off the stick or d-pad to interact with the touch pad which I assume will be quite limited. I just see it as controller bloat.

tipoo

Banned
I hope they can get battery life up while also throwing all that new stuff in there. IIRC the DS3 had the worst battery life of this gen.

Izick

So what the problem with DS3? I keep it in that way and have no problem that every one complaining about, like bad L2/R2 triggers, thumbs bitching each other, or it is too small.

5WGS8o7.jpg

6URE4th.jpg

When the right thumb goes right and the left thumb goes left, they get to meet each other head on.

Man

244985-ibb.jpg

OH FUCK, I just realized something. What if the light on top of the controller functions similarly to the blue orbs on the move controllers. Could this mean that the controller would be used in conjunction with the cameras in some way?
Dude.

But yes, that's what we've been talking about. There's no doubt about it's purpose. :)

DBT85

5WGS8o7.jpg

I cannot hold it like this and feel comfortable. I have my index fingers on the R1/L1 and then middle fingers under the back of the pad alongsie the other two fingers.

Oppo

I hope that light isn't too bright or the brightness can be controlled. The reason I don't use Move much is because of that bright ass bulb.

I'm sure the light won't be on by default. It isn't for Move titles that don't use optical tracking. Or the XMB.

and honestly it's not an issue, sitting in front of a glowing 50" screen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So I was asked via PM to point out the rectangles on the dev kit in the OP - the suggestion being they might be the stereo camera lenses.

But would they really be so spaced apart? Anyone have ideas about what else they might be?

You honestly think that could happen here? People will worry over everything similar to the Boomerang controller even before we saw hands-on of it and they all have their own ideas of what makes the perfect controller and think that their opinions are fact. Combine that with the people that have already enlisted in an army for the Console Wars and there's always going to be a lot of worrying...lol

At least we know how the DS feels in our hands so people know if they like it or not. Not sure why so many people thought they were going to move the stick just because they like it more as if no one likes the current position. I have big hands so I find both consoles' controller comfortable in a lot of ways but I still prefer my DS3 personally. That doesn't make it a fact that it's better though like some proclaim. :p

I know. I'm saying it anyway though.

CREMSteve

I've never understood why Sony didn't just release two versions of their controller with the two different stick placements. This would be far more profitable than releasing eighteen different colour variations of the same controller.

I really don't like this touch pad thing, it seems so useless. A real touch screen would be so much better. It could be very handy to type text, view your download, trophies, friend list, etc... But a touch pad? Outside of poorly emulating a mouse, I really don't see the use. And with a placement like that, it wouldn't even work well as a mouse replacement for shooters. A touch screen would cost a lot more though, and people would bitch because it's a Wii U ripp off.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I cannot hold it like this and feel comfortable. I have my index fingers on the R1/L1 and then middle fingers under the back of the pad alongsie the other two fingers.

Same here, I don't know how anyone can hold the DS3 like in that picture, is that how your officially supposed to hold it?

Oppo

I've never understood why Sony didn't just release two versions of their controller with the two different stick placements. This would be far more profitable than releasing eighteen different colour variations of the same controller.

Because every game diagram that shows button mappings would need to adjust.

Man

So I was asked via PM to point out the rectangles on the dev kit in the OP - the suggestion being they might be the stereo camera lenses.

But would they really be so spaced apart? Anyone have ideas about what else they might be?
Maybe it's like the tiny touch pad. Just get it out to the devs now in the crudest form so they can start hacking out some logic for it. :p

StuBurns

Banned
If it's really going to light up, fuck that. How shitty is that for night play? Terrible shit. As bad as the always on Kinect bullshit.

Midas

It's also interesting to see that L1 and R1 seems to be further on the back of the controller? And the space where you have the dpad and the face buttons is a bit more elevated than on the DS3?

You realize he said OnLive and you posted OUYA? Right?

And you realize he said only microsoft does it their way, and I posted a controller from a company that also does it Microsoft's way. Right? Might want to read the full conversation before you leap into full defense posture.

Top Bottom