• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

I cannot hold it like this and feel comfortable. I have my index fingers on the R1/L1 and then middle fingers under the back of the pad alongsie the other two fingers.

Yes. When I pick-up DS in first time, I held it like you. But then I think it will be better to have quick access to R2/L2 buttons and start to held in this way. After several weeks it work like a charm. Gamepad is more stable in hand and very comfortable.

Haunted

cyC6kfL.gif
Funniest picture of 2013 so far.

Oppo

If it's really going to light up, fuck that. How shitty is that for night play? Terrible shit. As bad as the always on Kinect bullshit.

It will only light up for optical tracking, the way Move does. That's my guess.

CREMSteve said:
What the left sick does for one, it would do for the other. How is than an issue?
it's confusing and unnecessary. You know what is even less of a big deal? Moving your thumb a few millimeters.

lenovox1

If it's really going to light up, fuck that. How shitty is that for night play? Terrible shit. As bad as the always on Kinect bullshit.

Umm. It isn't a big ass notification lamp as far as anyone can figure. You can probably turn it off depending on what your doing and what you're playing.

When the right thumb goes right and the left thumb goes left, they get to meet each other head on.
I give you that. It does appear from the prototype they made the middle wider, so that should help.

But honestly I've played many games on the PS3 (and PS2 and 1) and never once have I had to do that.

Sky Chief

So I was asked via PM to point out the rectangles on the dev kit in the OP - the suggestion being they might be the stereo camera lenses.

But would they really be so spaced apart? Anyone have ideas about what else they might be?

I think they would have to be quite spaced apart if they were really going to offer decent depth perception. They look like cameras to me.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Anyone scared they may drop the vibration motors citing that "they would interfere with the other features in the controller?

BearPawB

Banned
I dont understand people who use their middle fingers for the second triggers.

on 360 index fingers on triggers and i move them up to the bumpers as needed.

Boss Man

Umm. It isn't a big ass notification lamp as far as anyone can figure. You can probably turn it off depending on what your doing and what you're playing.
I sure hope so, I could definitely see it getting annoying. Although to say that it's as bad as always online is way overboard lol. Purely cosmetic.

I do not see the point of a touchscreen as it will break easily (the glass) and make the dualshock more expensive that it already is. Yeah ok maybe you can use the touch for something here and there but it is not worth it in my opinion.

This was so hard I almost broke my fingers...

dsc08111s9uby.jpg
I can't actually get a good grip on the triggers like that. I have to use the the first bone in my finger on the R2 trigger as opposed to the second. Which makes it hard to grip the whole controller steady and may fatigue the hand more. Haven't tried it. Definitely feel that I'd loose accuracy in control and that the sticks would get in the way sometimes.*

So I was asked via PM to point out the rectangles on the dev kit in the OP - the suggestion being they might be the stereo camera lenses.

But would they really be so spaced apart? Anyone have ideas about what else they might be?

I wouldn't have thought so but they look interesting. Seems to be a second circle in each box too.

Raoh

So what the problem with DS3? I keep it in that way and have no problem that every one complaining about, like bad L2/R2 triggers, thumbs bitching each other, or it is too small.

5WGS8o7.jpg

6URE4th.jpg

That's how I hold it with games that demand use of every button. Because I use the controller this way I find the 360 controller to be non functional because the 360 style has you use your index fingers in the L2/R2 (360 trigger) positions so you have to let go of the triggers with your index fingers to use the 360 bumper/shoulder buttons.

So for me the best use that I prefer is:

R1 = Fire
R2 = Alt/Secondary fire
L1 = Zoom (i like to use up/down on d pad to alternate zoom modes/distance)
L2 = Variable (crouch/deploy/chat/etc)

Haunted

Real talk, though. Despite being slightly disappointed that it's still essentially the Dualshock, this is by far the most attractive looking iteration of the controller so far.

Lucifon

I dont understand people who use their middle fingers for the second triggers.

on 360 index fingers on triggers and i move them up to the bumpers as needed.

This. So uncomfortable to hold 4 fingers on the back constantly for long periods of time.

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm sorry, what now?

newControllerSmall.jpeg

Once Sony learns how to design one, I'll get right on it.
You know what's interesting in this whole analog debate is that I'm pretty sure the only reason the playstations analog is where it is at is because it was an added on feature to the original playstation.

The d-pad was used for a majority of games and only changed after the n64 released and Sony jumped on the analog bandwagon.

Prior to that and mostly since, the far left of the controller is reserved for the pad that controls movement. But sony still had a majority of
Games using the d-pad so they had to put the analog in a place that both was comfortable and didnt disrupt their prior design that consumers had become accustomed to(all of this my speculation mind you). Almost all other controllers have stuck with that philosophy of movement being controlled at the far left of the controller. Nintendo 64 being sort of an exception(but still not really). I mean dreamcast, super nes, Nintendo, sega, GameCube, 360, wiiU, ouya, all put primary movement on the left of the controller, almost always adjacent to the buttons or close too. I kinda wonder, if playstaion had thought of analog before the playstaion released, would they have designed the same controller? And is it just brand awareness and history that has stopped them from branching out into a more redical design like the boomerang or something even more different??

vazel

Banned
A screen and a speaker. Finally, the promise of the VMU is being followed through on with the DS4. Nintendo took things a bit overboard.

Top Bottom