• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Ardenyal

RM19MN8.jpg

There is something protruding from the controller in the back... Second set of analogs confirmed!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Please lord Sony let there be a pack in mic that plugs into the controller.

I just want to apologise to everyone for making that "Used Game" gif. I didn't expect it to get posted everywhere so much.

Anyway, I was hoping for it to have finger grooves. Like the EA Sports Grips I have on my DS3. They feel great.

lZLqlZY.jpg

I've got a set like this too, they give the DS3 a bit more bulk and stopped it slipping of my table from the slightest knock, but attract dust, fluff and other crap like metal to a magnet though, lol.

KillGore

Both good points. I'm sure it won't be a problem. I'm just happy they fixed the controller with the triggers, etc.

Very hyped for the 20th and the PS4 itself.

Same here

On a sidenote. The move controller's bubble doesn't turn on until you actually choose to calibrate the it. You can use the controller on the system menu without the bubble turned on. That's why I assume it'll be the same here.
Never really felt the DualShock D-pad had anything wrong with it. Is the VITA d-pad just that much better?

Yes, it destroys dualshock's dpad out of the water

1-D_FTW

So I'm going to assume that the dual cameras will be included in the PS4 now, because Move functionality seems to built into the controller.

We're not still assuming this to be around the $399 area anymore are we? If so, I think that's a disappointment.

I don't think they have any choice. Wii U is a disaster on many issues, but Sony and MS both have to look at 11k/per week for month three and be absolutely terrified about what happens when the market rejects you. Even if they had grand plans for higher, at some point fear should snap them back in line.

mattp

the sony d-pad has always been decent, but not great.
but lately, the only reason people think of it as so great is the lack of competition haha. the 360 dpad is fucking garbage

the vita dpad is SO nice

Spinluck

Never really felt the DualShock D-pad had anything wrong with it. Is the VITA d-pad just that much better?

Yes, more clicky and it feels more responsive.

Years of playing 2D fighters on my DS3's have completely worn their D-Pads.

Vita's seems far more future proof and durable.

Looks a lot less cheap in this new shot I think. I'm actually hoping most of this form factor stays intact for the final. Also this looks like it has a matte finish, which I'm hoping stays as well.

The Vita-esque D-pad and buttons look even nicer from that angle.

SpotAnime

When is Sony going to learn to change the analog stick placement? All controllers nowadays move the left stick so it isn't directly aligned with the right for comfort.

Also, that touchpad above the sticks isn't going to work for anyone who doesn't have elastic thumbs.

joeblow

The only problem I have with the Vita's D-Pad (which is very nice) is that when I tap 'down' I often hit the analog stick because they are sooooo close together.

So in games like Velocity where both the D-Pad and analog stick are active for player movement, I am forced to use the analog stick for movement since using the D-Pad causes me to accidently hit the stick, which gets me killed.

The more I look at it the better it looks. Originally it just looked strange and awkward. I guess I won't know for sure until I get it in my hands :)

Pctx

Banned
Lets see how much controller noise that mic picks up. I don't want to hear a bunch of buttons being mashed and analog sticks squeaking.

Could care less. The ability to chat while gaming online has been something that the PS3 suffered from as the Xbox had chat with the headset. Even if there is an additional plug in Mic, this is a huge win for gamers.

KillGore

The only problem I have with the Vita's D-Pad (which is very nice) is that when I tap 'down' I often hit the analog stick because they are sooooo close together.

So in games like Velocity where both the D-Pad and analog stick are active for player movement, I am forced to use the analog stick for movement since using the D-Pad causes me to accidently hit the stick, which gets me killed.

Yeah, but that's not because of the dpad, it is the limited space available on the system. There seems to be a good amount of space in this new dualshock.

I just hope that is a touch screen and not a touch pad. I don't need a full RGB screen. Just like one of those 16 color low-res screen for basic icons and soft buttons. Would be great for games and media functionality.

Top Bottom