• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Rumor: Beyond Good&Evil 2 funded by Nintendo for NX

Nairume

Banned
I thought the big argument against Bayonetta 2 was that Bayo 1 was never on Nintendo systems, so there was no chance of fan crossover.

Isn't that explicitly not true with BG&E?
The only real way you could maybe spin that argument is that it hasn't been on a Nintendo system in a while (as opposed to being up-ported to other platforms more recently), but that's such a weak argument that I don't think anybody would actually try and seriously present it.

Or if they did, nobody would take them seriously.

No you said Nintendo didn't have enough money to buy ubi. Whether or not it would be worth it is a different argument

Vivendi is actually trying to buy Ubisoft, if Nintendo attempt to outbid Vivendi they're going to spend too much money, money that they may have but would be foolish to use. There not in an Apple situation where 5-6 billion is ok to spend without thinking about it. They don't have the money to allow them to spend that much.

From their 2015 financials it's actually closer to 8.3bn dollars due decreasing value of the yen and some spending since 2012.

http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/Tearsheets/Financials?s=7974:TYO

Whether they actually would, definitely not. Doesn't fit Nintendo's style.

Thanks, I'm actually quite impressed, they hold up pretty well even with the WiiU's situation. The 3DS must have offset a lot.

jdstorm

Banned
Hopefully this is true. UBI needs some quick cash, and Nintendo get to build better 3rd party relations and get a game to diversify the catalogue on the NX. It's a win win. Plus with the recent emphasis on games with female leads. A non violent stealth shooter with a female lead is very on trend

jdstorm

Banned
It's better than nothing, though, and it helps build the idea that you can get an NX and get more than just Nintendo games, which is how you build up the sales of "voluntary" third party games and that's how you recover.

The problem Nintendo faces is dearth of software, which is caused by split resources and poor third party relations. The NX ameliorates split resources, and cross-compatibility could help on third party relations by getting the Japanese handheld games on consoles in the West where they'll likely get better exposure. Western third party support is the tough nut to crack, and i think we've gone over why the whole "meet Sony and Microsoft head-on" strategy is very risky: imagine the humiliation and lost money of doing something like getting a promotional deal for Far Cry 5 and still getting badly outsold by the PS4 and X1 versions.

Much of the PS4's success shows that aside from having the right hardware environment, success is about the perception, and bringing back fan-favorite games creates good perception and gets people noticing the platform. Then you entice back western third parties, slowly, starting with the essentials like Madden and CoD, and moving up to more ambitious stuff.

This. If the NX doesn't get EA support Its dead in the water. UBI doesn't matter as much, but it's still good progress showing that Nintendo is intent on having comprehensive western 3rd party support. People won't buy a 2nd console to play FIFA, Madden, Battlefield, Titanfall, and Mass Effect. Plus whatever future Star Wars games are coming. On the other hand. If Nintendo gets EA support on a device that is essentially a portable PS4. They will comfortably win Gen9

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So they sequel to a game that underperformed is (maybe) coming exclusively to the sequel to a console that underperformed?

I don't know that I understand the reasoning for either party involved, but whatever. They each must've had some reason.

Look at the various meltdowns from the playstation fans in this thread.

Let's hope that Destructoid is wrong.
What? Why would you say this? Everyone has pretty much given up on this game being real the way Ubisoft has jerked the fans around for years with their on again/off again comments. If this is true, it'll be a huge deal for everyone involved. It'll be a big plus for Nintendo to have an exclusive, Ubisoft gets the damn hing made, and fans are happy because the damn thing was made and we get to play it!

PLEASE BE TRUE!

sjay1994

Did the digital re release of the original do any better? Because if not, it might explain why ubi was so hesitant to fully fund the game.

Sagroth

I personally think this rumor is BS, but I hope I'm wrong. That said, if the rumor IS true, it'd be the most compelling argument I've heard yet to get an NX.

If true, I'm glad the game may finally be coming out for the fans that have been waiting years for this but this better not cause Wild to be sidetracked as that honestly seems more exciting to me.

What? Why would you say this? Everyone has pretty much given up on this game being real the way Ubisoft has jerked the fans around for years with their on again/off again comments. If this is true, it'll be a huge deal for everyone involved. It'll be a big plus for Nintendo to have an exclusive, Ubisoft gets the damn hing made, and fans are happy because the damn thing was made and we get to play it!

PLEASE BE TRUE!

Obviously he would say this because he doesn't want to buy an NX but still wants the game.

If an NX exclusive is the only way the game is going to get made (ala Bayo 2) then great, but I'd prefer it to be an X1/PS4/NX multi plat release.

sn00zer

Im liking this new Nintendo going up against Sony directly with these sort of moves...... not quite sure MS is doing atm.

Obviously he would say this because he doesn't want to buy an NX but still wants the game.

If an NX exclusive is the only way the game is going to get made (ala Bayo 2) then great, but I'd prefer it to be an X1/PS4/NX multi plat release.

How would he know if he doesnt want to buy an Nx if we dont know what the fuck it is tho ?

duvjones

Banned
Cross-post:
...Throwing money at a cult favourite was ultimately a fruitless endeavour and did nothing to change the Wii U's fortune, so why would Nintendo sign off on the very same tactic for the NX??
Because it wasn't about changing fortunes, it was about developer relations... last that I checked, Platinum games is helping with the development of Star Fox Zero. And they have very little ill to say about there work on Bayo2/W101, so Nintendo is likely to call on them again. Or Namco Bandai.... So Tekken Tag 2 happened on the system, after it's rather devoted fanbase and competitive scene acquired it on other platforms. But have you noticed that Nintendo has called on Namco Bandai to help with game development a lot. Pokken notwithstanding, they were a big hand with Mario Kart 8, and it's pretty well known that "The Tekken Team" were on hand with Smash 4... they are one of few the third party developers (and publishers) that I almost expect to Nintendo to bend over backwards to please at this point considering how many times the company has gone to bat for Nintendo with resources in tow.

...Nintendo is not going to throw millions behind another dormant IP that has an even rockier history (even on Steam the original BG&E is barely at 100k after several years).

I would argue that sales is not an immediate target of this... I think having more solid relations with a publisher the size of Ubisoft means more to Nintnedo with the NX on the horizon. There might be a few things that Ubisoft is thinking of that Nintendo might call on them to do, getting BG&E out to start that process would ease over the issue of trust between them. Platinum Games was the same.
This is assuming that BG&E 2 is a thing that is happening.

Banned
I thought the big argument against Bayonetta 2 was that Bayo 1 was never on Nintendo systems, so there was no chance of fan crossover.

Isn't that explicitly not true with BG&E?

No, you don't get it Alberto. Nintendo is stealing our games!

:p

Im liking this new Nintendo going up against Sony directly with these sort of moves...... not quite sure MS is doing atm.

Butchering it's PC games with Windows 10 restrictions. Those guy's are busy right now.

redhood56

Banned
If Nintendo is crazy enough to finally fund this game then good for them. Without them the game probably wouldn't exist past the early concept stages.

Meesh

Enjoyed BG&E1 so I'm hoping this is true...

Now all I need is more Bayo, a dash of FF7, a sprinkle of Mon Hun and all my dreams come true. Lol

Jumpman23

Personally, I hope this is true and launches along with or right after the console does. Now if I can get a sequel to ZombiU I will be fucking stoked about Ubisoft and Nintendo relations.

How would he know if he doesnt want to buy an Nx if we dont know what the fuck it is tho ?

It's a new Nintendo games console. That's enough for some people to not be interested at all, and I think that's reasonable. I'm not as closed off as that, but I'm not planning on picking the machine(s?) up.

In previous generations I've gone for all game consoles, but I'm trying to move away from indulgent purchases so this time around I passed on the Xbox One and doubt I'll be picking up an NX. It might do something to change my mind, but I'm not sure what it would actually need to do for that to happen.

It's a new Nintendo games console. That's enough for some people to not be interested at all, and I think that's reasonable. I'm not as closed off as that, but I'm not planning on picking the machine(s?) up.

In previous generations I've gone for all game consoles, but I'm trying to move away from indulgent purchases so this time around I passed on the Xbox One and doubt I'll be picking up an NX. It might do something to change my mind, but I'm not sure what it would actually need to do for that to happen.
Is it a console? We don't know. We don't know shit about it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Because it wasn't about changing fortunes, it was about developer relations... last that I checked, Platinum games is helping with the development of Star Fox Zero. And they have very little ill to say about there work on Bayo2/W101, so Nintendo is likely to call on them again. Or Namco Bandai.... So Tekken Tag 2 happened on the system, after it's rather devoted fanbase and competitive scene acquired it on other platforms. But have you noticed that Nintendo has called on Namco Bandai to help with game development a lot. Pokken notwithstanding, they were a big hand with Mario Kart 8, and it's pretty well known that "The Tekken Team" were on hand with Smash 4... they are one of few the third party developers (and publishers) that I almost expect to Nintendo to bend over backwards to please at this point considering how many times the company has gone to bat for Nintendo with resources in tow.

The idea of strengthened relationships carries little weight in my eyes. Platinum Games, for example, hasn't enjoyed the success that confers the luxury of being able to pick and choose projects, so if Nintendo wanted PG to work on Star Fox, PG would have worked on Star Fox, regardless of Bayonetta 2.

I would argue that sales is not an immediate target of this... I think having more solid relations with a publisher the size of Ubisoft means more to Nintnedo with the NX on the horizon. There might be a few things that Ubisoft is thinking of that Nintendo might call on them to do, getting BG&E out to start that process would ease over the issue of trust between them. Platinum Games was the same.
This is assuming that BG&E 2 is a thing that is happening.

I more or less mention that direct sales are not the sole motivator in the very post you quoted.

Arion

I can fully get behind the Amiibo dystopia if it's fueling these kinds of vanity projects. Where is the best place to play the original bg&e right now?

Malus

Would've made a great E3 surprise if true. Aw well, actual confirmation of this rumor, coupled with an awesome trailer at e3 would still be a great surprise. Fingers crossed.

I never played the original but the comparisons to Zelda definitely have me interested.

CazTGG

Eh, i'm very skeptical about this. Much as i'd love to see Beyond Good & Evil 2 happen, the rumor sounds like it's connecting one too many tenuous dots together.

Oersted

Absolutely and I would not port beg, but we're nowhere close to this being true yet.

But again who in this thread has actually said this?

Just like the above, it's a heck of a leap from the OP's statement to assume that he must wish for the game to not exist at all
Surely, as was explained, he just wishes it to be multiplat, a pretty logical deduction?

You do notice that OP is getting basically attacked at every page multiple times? That he/she had to explain him/herself? You can't even pretend to be that oblivious.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

its not reasonable nor fair to brush it off when you have no idea what it is and just because its Nintendo. Unless you are some biased brand loyalist fanboy.

Top Bottom