• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex 3 realtime screenshots revealed

Donos

These Boots Are Made for Walkin'

Gribbix said:
In-game screenshots:

6dmut.jpg

There are also some new magazine scans floating around with additional images.

Xater

EmCeeGramr said:
stealth is all about not being detected, regardless of whether they're facing you or not

killing is a separate component, and can any times be antithetical to stealth since you're leaving evidence that you were there

that's why it's so satisfying in MGS, Thief, Hitman, or Deus Ex, to make it through an area or mission without being spotted or having to kill a single person

Well this title will have non-lethal takedowns.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
EmCeeGramr said:
that's why it's so satisfying in MGS, Thief, Hitman, or Deus Ex, to make it through an area or mission without being spotted or having to kill a single person

I see. But they added an option to carry bodies, so I guess it'll be a bit more complicated than usual.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
subversus said:
mmmm....

I thought stealth is all about people not facing you.

Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe the complaint is that stealth gameplay originated as an alternative to the shoot-people-in-the-face mantra that had become ubiquitous to FPS and action games at the time. Indeed, stealth games became more about violence as a last resort - a desperate plea to silence enemies that could alert others to your presence. See: Thief, Hitman, and early Splinter Cell games.

Increasingly, though, "stealth gameplay" doesn't present itself as an alternative to violent play but rather "sneak up behind somebody and shank them in the kidneys." A lot of people mourn the loss of the idea of stealth in and of itself as a goal and play style, rather than just a fancier way to put bullets in people. Look at Arkham Asylum, the recent Splinter Cell game, Assassin's Creed... they're all more about using stealth to get close to people for violent actions (with the violent actions being the goal of the player) rather than getting through areas without leaving a trace. And these games aren't necessarily bad, but just as Rainbow Six Vegas sort of heralded the end of days for the seriously tactical FPS, Arkham Asylum may have heralded the end of "be completely unseen at all times" style of stealth gameplay.

scaffa

REV 09 said:
anyone else get a metal gear vibe from this?

Yeah, a little bit. Because of some textures, the way his suit looks, the mechs and the pmc looking dude.

Shots look great, dig the atmosphere a lot.

Interfectum

Campster said:
Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe the complaint is that stealth gameplay originated as an alternative to the shoot-people-in-the-face mantra that had become ubiquitous to FPS and action games at the time. Indeed, stealth games became more about violence as a last resort - a desperate plea to silence enemies that could alert others to your presence. See: Thief, Hitman, and early Splinter Cell games.

Increasingly, though, "stealth gameplay" doesn't present itself as an alternative to violent play but rather "sneak up behind somebody and shank them in the kidneys." A lot of people mourn the loss of the idea of stealth in and of itself as a goal and play style, rather than just a fancier way to put bullets in people. Look at Arkham Asylum, the recent Splinter Cell game, Assassin's Creed... they're all more about using stealth to get close to people for violent actions (with the violent actions being the goal of the player) rather than getting through areas without leaving a trace. And these games aren't necessarily bad, but just as Rainbow Six Vegas sort of heralded the end of days for the seriously tactical FPS, Arkham Asylum may have heralded the end of "be completely unseen at all times" style of stealth gameplay.

I'm holding out hope for this game, Hitman 5 and T4f... but yeah I agree it's sad to see the stealth genre die this slow, painful death. SC:C was a fucking joke.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
3rd person? Hopefully you can toggle this.

I think it looks fantastic otherwise, however. Love the art direction.

Speevy said:
I thought this series had color.
The original game was quite ugly and dreary throughout. I loved the game, but it was not attractive in the least even back in 2000.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm wondering how the game is going to be set up. Is it going to be completely linear? Or will be mission based set around a HUB area.

I'm very interested to see more. To be honest, i hope we'll begin to see more Cyber-punk games after this. It's such a great genre and games need to start taking more advantage of it.

dark10x said:
3rd person? Hopefully you can toggle this.
Yep! Each time you press the cover button and sometimes when you press the stealth-kill button. That's assuming that they're not on the same button.

Jenga

Banned
wRATH2x said:
That looks great, I never played any of the games but this has me interested.
Play it. Deus Ex is still a fun game, and it's what, $10 on steam? Seriously guys.

If any of you are interested in this but never played the original, what are you doing here? you're depriving yourself of one of the most famous FPS games of all time. Play the game people!

Rikyfree

EmCeeGramr said:
stealth is all about not being detected, regardless of whether they're facing you or not

killing is a separate component, and can any times be antithetical to stealth since you're leaving evidence that you were there

Indeed, when you've done it right, people won't know you've done anything at all.

thefil

This looks really cool. I've never played a Deus Ex; I hope it will provide a suitable entry point for the series, as I don't really find myself with the time or motivation to go back and play many old games these days.

ezekial45 said:
I'm wondering how the game is going to be set up. Is it going to be completely linear? Or will be mission based set around a HUB area.

I'm very interested to see more. To be honest, i hope we'll begin to see more Cyber-punk games after this. It's such a great genre and games need to start taking more advantage of it.

Hopefully like DX1... just big open-ended "missions". No hub, blech.

played the second one for all of about 5 minutes on xbox (because I didn't "get" it), does anyone think that playing the first two games will be largely beneficial for the third even though its a prequel?

Xater

Rabbitwork said:
played the second one for all of about 5 minutes on xbox (because I didn't "get" it), does anyone think that playing the first two games will be largely beneficial for the third even though its a prequel?

You should not paly the second game ever, because it's terrible. I really doubt that you need to know any of the stuff from DX1. They made this a prequel on purpose.

Rabbitwork said:
Playing the first one will be largely beneficial for you as a human being. The second one isn't all that great, and the devs will probably stay as far away from it as they can.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
OuterWorldVoice said:
I really hate 3rd person stuff in a game that is otherwise 1st person. Really distracting to me. Like, what Vegas and Brothers in Arms do.

Its annoying.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I just saw the new CGI trailer, they should make a damn movie with it. I like the character and the setting, never played Deux EX, but might try this one out.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
sweets

Glad to see that the developers for once dont feed us bullshots with a 3645p resolution and 24x AA

jett

D-Member
Looks average, has a sub-HD quality to it.

I hope the PC port is good, lately console-to-PC port have been kinda crap.

I like how this looks. I hope the writing, gameplay and choices (dialog, actions, storyline branches) are up to par with the first one.

Dead Man

Those screens make me cautiously optimistic. The palette is a bit 'next gen brown' but other than that they look good.

Jenga

Banned
jett said:
Looks average, has a sub-HD quality to it.

I hope the PC port is good, lately console-to-PC port have been kinda crap.
The PC is the lead this time around, thank God. About a year ago they barely announced DX3 coming to consoles.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
revolverjgw said:
Hopefully like DX1... just big open-ended "missions". No hub, blech.
I wouldn't mind a hub ala the Unatco base (honestly, a large hub would be great), but I certainly don't want something like Assassin's Creed. That is, the missions should be their OWN maps.

This is how Deus Ex, Vampire Bloodlines, and Thief 3 all worked and I quite liked it.

Top Bottom