• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex E3 behind closed doors (20 minutes of gameplay) leaked

Looks great for the most part. The one button action kills are a bit weaker than I thought. I'm hoping that a lot of the stuff like double take downs are high level stuff. Then there was the through a wall take down, and maybe it is just for the demo, but no one seemed to notice that noise :lol

I'm guessing a lot of the transition stuff between first and third person will be smoothed out. The take downs especially look off in this early build.

Really dig the style and all that except that voice acting is a bit hammy.

I wish there will be good variety in the environments though. Not too much cities, night life, bars and warehouse. I like me some morning and plantlife (if any)!

Phionoxx

Wallach said:
Bah. I do hate playing inventory tetris sometimes.

Yeah there is that aspect of it, but at the same time such a system can go a long ways towards forcing the player to stick with the type of skills / augs they have invested in. Makes for a lot more variety for multiple campaign runs by not being able to accommodate each and every weapon group.

Zilch

Banned
Larson Conway said:
I wish there will be good variety in the environments though. Not too much cities, night life, bars and warehouse. I like me some morning and plantlife (if any)!

I actually remember reading a post on the Deus Ex 3 official forums to the effect of "there can't be daylight levels in this game! daylight isn't cyberpunk!"

Some geniuses over there.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
looking absolutely awesome. is there an idea on when this will ship? is it 2011 like everything else at e3?

Odrion

Banned
sunlight in a deus ex game :lol

Actually, if they're going by a "Black and Gold" color scheme then maybe we will see a sunrise at the end or something.

way more

Wallach said:
Bah. I do hate playing inventory tetris sometimes.

I miss those inventory systems. Making the tough calls and reading the ingredients of the future soda was always fun.

Troidal

Great art direction. I was skeptical before, but this is now most definitely in my most anticipated list for 2011.

Dizzy-4U

Sooo hyped for this game. One thing for sure: I'll buy that goddamn soundtrack as soon as it is released. It's absolutely amazing.

mac said:
I miss those inventory systems. Making the tough calls and reading the ingredients of the future soda was always fun.

Can't tell if you're sarcastic or not, but honestly, I really do like grid based inventory management. RE4 has some of the best because you can turn items and try to make everything fit so neatly, ah, so satisfying.

ezekial45

Banned
That was pretty dumb of SA to release this footage.

Game looks great though. I can't wait to see more of it. Officially.

KTallguy

Banned
Looks fun... good aesthetics at least.
Some of the stuff seemed like one-offs, like that rappelling through the ceiling thing. Can you use that same move in other places or something? Looks nice though.

Broseybrose

It's great to see that it doesnt look like a bomb. :lol

20 min of beginning gameplay and it still seems quite capable of living up to the name - so far. Definitely watching this one closely.

The general feel of the game reminds me of Wong Kar Wai films w/sepia tint. (that's a good thing) I'll be looking forward to the official HD footage.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Castor Krieg said:
The game looks great - again, WTF didn't S-E make this demo walkthrough public? So that Famitsu can get another sneak peak?

Most of their showings at E3 seemed low key, to be honest.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Holy crap, it looks like it's living up to the Deus Ex pedigree. Thank goodness. Guess I don't have to worry anymore.

This looks like it's going to be great. My only problem is the feeling that the character is floating through the game, especially when a weapon isn't equipped.

Sober

SephirothRK said:
game looks great, I like the part where he breaks the brick wall and break the guy neck.
I wonder if there is a non-lethal version of wall punching someone from behind! :lol (no, seriously!)

Bob Loblaw said:
Holy fuck that part with the
transforming bot.

Day 1.
I was watching it and joking about how the bot has terrible aim or something, because there seems to be destructible cover, otherwise what the hell are in some of those boxes?

How come nobody saw this guy recording? He holds the camera (I guess photo camera) for 20 minutes sitting in the 2nd row. Oh Square, you need to try harder.:lol

Castor Krieg said:
How come nobody saw this guy recording? He holds the camera (I guess photo camera) for 20 minutes sitting in the 2nd row. Oh Square, you need to try harder.:lol

prob had like a pin camera or some james bond shit going on:lol

Sciz

Huh. So this actually looks a lot like Deus Ex. As long as the level design is appropriately labyrinthine and there's still a half dozen ways to do just about everything, we just might have a real sequel on our hands.

Character design, animation, and voice acting are all hokey in exactly the right ways too. :lol

Gribbix said:
Yeah, that could be an issue, but I recall reading a recent interview that said the takedowns use up energy so you can't keep spamming them unless you have the energy or you don't care about using your augs.

This would be amazing if true.

Perhaps I am the only one, but I was a lot more interested in the VA, facial animation and body language more than anything else.

The animations still need some work, but Jensen's VA was extremely good.

Spookie

"4-5 diffrent ways in to this warehouse" - Oh Jesus please be true. Hyped for this game now. Music is quality too! So good. :(

Blimblim

The Inside Track
LegatoB said:
Upcoming thread title: ScrewAttack never invited to a Square-Enix Eidos PR event ever again
That's for sure, looking at that footage it's clear they sneaked the camera in and definitely knew they were forbidden to film and release anything. I wouldn't be surprised if S-E threatened to sue them over that little stunt.
_Bro said:
Pretty sure they can record for review when doing their impressions write up.
I've never been to a behind closed door presentation where any video recording device was allowed for any reason what so ever.

Kittonwy

Banned
Looks pretty good visually, the NPC animations are a bit stiff, not sure why they're using third-person perspective for cover and cutting to a completely different camera angle for stealth take-downs, it completely takes the player out of the immersion and is unnecessary, they need to decide whether they're making a first-person game or a third-person game, mixing both doesn't work well.

Top Bottom