• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gets Console HDR Support

etta

my hard graphic balls
OOOOOOOOOOHHHH maybe I'll leave the second playthrough for when I get a TV with HDR.

Vuze

Wish more games were "Play Anywhere" or atleast supported Cross Saves. Can't be bothered to replay the game from scratch since I've finished it on PC but would love to check out their HDR support.
Eh, then again I don't think you can disable the sharpening on console right?

Actually I'm looking forward to hear about the first OG/Slim PS4 HDR experiences since this is the first game to support it on these eh?

shanafan

I'll be interested in watching the DF video on the differences between HDR and non-HDR with Deus Ex.

I have low expectations in this, but I hope it's good for the technology going forward.

I don't even have an HDR set (yet) but it seems weird to me how this is basically a console exclusive feature so far. Why no HDR on PC?

ukas

I'll be interested in watching the DF video on the differences between HDR and non-HDR with Deus Ex.

I have low expectations in this, but I hope it's good for the technology going forward.

You won't be able to see the difference.

MCD

Curious to see PS4 HDR because I thought HDR requires HDMI 2.0.

Digital foundry/darkx10 plz!

SliChillax

I don't even have an HDR set (yet) but it seems weird to me how this is basically a console exclusive feature so far. Why no HDR on PC?

Curious about this as well. Before people say there are no HDR monitors, remember that lot's of people use their TV's for pc gaming, myself included.

You know the 10 in HDR10, the more popular implementation of HDR? The 10 stands for 10-bit color depth, a feature of HDR10-compliant TVs, but a virtually non-existent feature outside of expensive professional monitors.

Edit:
Curious about this as well. Before people say there are no HDR monitors, remember that lot's of people use their TV's for pc gaming, myself included.

Game developers and hardware companies don't really care since there's no easy way to figure out how to how many users are plugging HDR-compatible GPUs into HDR-supporting TVs.

Since we can be certain it's a smaller number than the number of console owners playing on HDR TVs, it becomes a cost benefit analysis.

R1CHO

You know the 10 in HDR10, the more popular implementation of HDR? The 10 stands for 10-bit color depth, a feature of HDR10-compliant TVs, but a virtually non-existent feature outside of expensive professional monitors.

Tvs work with pcs too!

brau

Can I please get it on my PC? Thanks.

This!

Is there a reason there is no plans for PC games to support it? or is this something that might come eventually? I just got a 4k set with HDR and its amazing. I want my games to support HDR so i make full use of my new tv.

That makes sense. I'd imagine monitor makers will probably be making future models with HDR10 support, but what about PC gamers who play on their TV's? There are dozens of us..

Vuze

Currently, there is no OS level support which means developers would have to resort to GPU manufacturer implementations (I know Nvidia is actively offering one, no idea about AMD). Understandably too much work to support such a niche audience (no HDR monitors on sale yet + only recent GPUs support the feature anyway). However, OS level support for Windows 10 is slated to go live early next year with developers already having access to the required features so they can prepare.

Nvidia claimed a bunch of games will support their NV HDR soon, but yeah, guess which of the announced titles has support right now?
GTX-1080-HDR.png

Jin

This!

Is there a reason there is no plans for PC games to support it? or is this something that might come eventually? I just got a 4k set with HDR and its amazing. I want my games to support HDR so i make full use of my new tv.

I think it has to do with Windows not supporting HDR yet. Last time I check they said "soon".

That makes sense. I'd imagine monitor makers will probably be making future models with HDR10 support, but what about PC gamers who play on their TV's? There are dozens of us..

HDR monitors are in the pipeline, but it might be a couple years before they become mainstream.

Monitor manufacturers have been getting away with selling people 6-bit monitors for years with 8-bit as a premium feature, so they can't be too happy with this HDR rush.

Until then, it's probably going to be ignored on PC.

brau

I think it has to do with Windows not supporting HDR yet. Last time I check they said "soon".

You would think this would come sooner than we think if their Xbone already handles it. But then, maybe this is the feature that they can count on to sell some units?

Either way, i really want to see more HDR.

Lucifon

We need ps4 / xb1s hdr comparisons now! Super interested to hear about this including the hdr implementation on ps4.

MCD

Question about PC: in Nvidia control panel, should I use YCBCR with my TV? I like using RGB because it's not washed out but it only lists 8bpc with RGB.

Except they can't show you the difference.

We need ps4 / xb1s hdr comparisons now! Super interested to hear about this including the hdr implementation on ps4.

You can only compare them by having 2 HDR TVs side by side.

Currently, there is no OS level support which means developers would have to resort to GPU manufacturer implementations (I know Nvidia is actively offering one, no idea about AMD). Understandably too much work to support such a niche audience (no HDR monitors on sale yet + only recent GPUs support the feature anyway). However, OS level support for Windows 10 is slated to go live early next year with developers already having access to the required features so they can prepare.

Nvidia claimed a bunch of games will support their NV HDR soon, but yeah, guess which of the announced titles has support right now?
GTX-1080-HDR.png

Do either of you know what sort of changes might be coming? HDR is seemingly supported as of the Anniversary Update with updates to WDDM 2.1 and DXGI 1.5.

Vuze

Do either of you know what sort of changes might be coming? HDR is seemingly supported as of the Anniversary Update with updates to WDDM 2.1 and DXGI 1.5.
Yeah, that's what I thought as well and what made me think FH3 and Gears would ship with HDR10 support (as it turns out, neither has/will).
But some other GAFfers have provided sources that this update is seemingly only relevant for developers and consumer rollout will be early next year. Unfortunately didn't bookmark the sites.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well and what made me think FH3 and Gears would ship with HDR10 support (as it turns out, neither has/will).
But some other GAFfers have provided sources that this update is seemingly only relevant for developers and consumer rollout will be early next year. Unfortunately didn't bookmark the sites.

Ah, okay.

rrs

I think no DX support for HDR is why, once it's in I could see a patch for both games

Adam M

Looks pretty good on my OLED TV.

But LG should allow HDR with game mode as well

Seems that PS4 Pro will be a really good deal for 400 with "4k" HDR, I'm glad that the updates like this are coming so fast, hopefully this will be true to the PS4 Pro patches too

Wow! This is news I did not expect. Looks like I get to play my first HDR game, and what a doozy of one! These last few hours of work are going to be painful.

NXGamer

Curious to see PS4 HDR because I thought HDR requires HDMI 2.0.

Digital foundry/darkx10 plz!
No Hdmi 2.0 Is for bandwidth and the newer HDCP encryption requirement.

HDR 10-bit is fine for 1.4 even the higher dolby digital 12-bit runs on the same or rather both.

2.0 is for 4k>24 or combinations of.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I'm going to look at it myself but...there's really nothing I could do in a video to show it off. That's the whole issue right now - you cannot actually demonstrate HDR on an SDR display. Most of the attempted examples are incredibly fake and unflattering.

I will try it tonight.

Top Bottom