• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gets Console HDR Support

Lister

Banned
Just barely seems noticable to me. I noticed lights slightly brighter but then the oled brightness is set to max in HDR mode whereas I use the tv generally on around 70 brightness so that right there could be doing that.

There is another issue with HDR, besides not being able to compare and contrast without an HDR panel: Unlike say, resolution, where a 4K TV is a 4K TV, HDR panels are going to vary in quality and coverage of the spec.

A cheaper TV that supports HDR isn't going to replicate the same color and luminosity range that a $10,000 OLED hgih end panel would.

And no, I'm not saying your TV sucks ;) But I am saying it could be an issue of someone else's TV being more compliant with the spec and the effect being more noticeable there.

Or, a sI mentioned, that HDR isn't some magic thing and for somepeople it's not going to be like the religious experience marketing says it should be.

Lucifon

i noticed it right away by just looking up at the sky clouds and sky looked much more defined instead of just super bright.
That was an area I tried to keep an eye on when switching between the modes and reloading the game. If anything the sky just seems super brighter than before.

There is another issue with HDR, besides not being able to compare and contrast without an HDR panel: Unlike say, resolution, where a 4K TV is a 4K TV, HDR panels are going to vary in quality and coverage of the spec.

A cheaper TV that supports HDR isn't going to replicate the same color and luminosity range that a $10,000 OLED hgih end panel would.

And no, I'm not saying your TV sucks ;) But I am saying it could be an issue of someone else's TV being more compliant with the spec and the effect being more noticeable there.

Or, a sI mentioned, that HDR isn't some magic thing and for somepeople it's not going to be like the religious experience marketing says it should be.

The b6 is one of the highest rated and priciest 55 inch tvs you can buy (albeit the cheapest of LG's 2016 lineup it's still £2300+). Surely if it's going to be noticeable on any tv it should on this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That was an area I tried to keep an eye on when switching between the modes and reloading the game. If anything the sky just seems super brighter than before.

The b6 is one of the highest rated and priciest 55 inch tvs you can buy (albeit the cheapest of LG's 2016 lineup it's still £2300+). Surely if it's going to be noticeable on any tv it should on this.
It is very noticeable. Which area are you in? It's much less dramatic in day time Prague but Prague at night or one of the darker missions look dramatically better as a result of HDR. Also, what are your settings?

Ushay

Saving this for Scorpio next year when I get a HDR set, will play all DLC too. Will be more common I hope.

taoofjord

It is very noticeable. Which area are you in? It's much less dramatic in day time Prague but Prague at night or one of the darker missions look dramatically better as a result of HDR. Also, what are your settings?

Bright areas in HDR (and SDR) are also going to be less impressive on LG OLEDs due to the Automatic Brightness Limiter.

Lucifon

I'm in Prague in the day so that might not help.

I just changed it from HDR Bright to HDR Vivid which seems to make the switch more noticeable but then I'm not sure if that's just the effect of contrast being jacked to 100 automatically when on HDR mode along with oled light. Would be good to know what settings people recommend for a B6 OLED in HDR mode.

Here's the menus looking dodgy in hdr mode:

SDR
gQGma3p.jpg

HDR

Elios83

HDR slider is turned off for me in the game?
HDR is turned on in the PS4 video settings and I have a HDMI2.0 cable with a Samsung 49KS8000 TV.
How do you enable it?

HDR slider is turned off for me in the game?
HDR is turned on in the PS4 video settings and I have a HDMI2.0 cable with a Samsung 49KS8000 TV.
How do you enable it?
Are you running through a receiver? I had to change my port settings on my receiver to get it to pass the signal properly.

Elios83

Are you running through a receiver? I had to change my port settings on my receiver to get it to pass the signal properly.

No just the Samsung One Connect unit that is necessary to hook HDMI cables to the TV.
I've also tried to change HDMI port and disable game mode.
Nothing, Maybe it's a bug?

Waikis

Hmm, it does actually work and it looks incredible. This is the perfect game for HDR (walking around Prague at night with the ultra bright neon and electronic signs everywhere).

The PS4 passes 1080p BT.2020 12-bit and it works.

Can xbox one s output bt2020 at 1080p too?

No just the Samsung One Connect unit that is necessary to hook HDMI cables to the TV.
I've also tried to change HDMI port and disable game mode.
Nothing, Maybe it's a bug?

Samsung owner over here who went through the same confusion earlier.

Turn on HDMI UHD COLOUR in Picture > Advanced Settings in your TV settings.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hmm, it does actually work and it looks incredible. This is the perfect game for HDR (walking around Prague at night with the ultra bright neon and electronic signs everywhere).

The game does not immediately start up in HDR mode but it did pop-up a message noting that my TV supports HDR and asked if I wanted to enable it.

I wish there were some way to communicate this to people but faking screens and video really just doesn't sit well with me since it gives the impression that you're just boosting contrast artificially.

I'm noticing one glitch, though - while talking to characters, there are brief white flashes appearing when the camera cuts. Just a frame or two of full white.
Can you answer if the Xbox One S supports a wider color gamut for games? Penello was saying it was only enhanced contrast for games, which makes no sense, but I don't really trust him on technical issues.

It would be amazed to see a large difference as the Port is not the issue, will be covering both versions shortly snd attempt to demonstrate and explain as best through SDR formats...not easy ;-/

Looking forward to it mate. I have been following your channel for quite some time so it's good to see on GAF.

The game does not immediately start up in HDR mode but it did pop-up a message noting that my TV supports HDR and asked if I wanted to enable it.

I wish there were some way to communicate this to people but faking screens and video really just doesn't sit well with me since it gives the impression that you're just boosting contrast artificially.

I'm noticing one glitch, though - while talking to characters, there are brief white flashes appearing when the camera cuts. Just a frame or two of full white.

Thanks for the excellent info :)

this is the message displayed when the game detects a HDR display. what happens on my TV is the PS4 auto switches from Game Mode to the HDR Mode as if I used the TV remote myself to switch modes.

closing the game will switch my TV back to Game Mode. odd stuff

kinda concerning considering all the extra postprocessing crap that gets enables outside game mode and introduces input lag.

DeeBatch

All you guys listen please.. For proper HDR TV must be in movie mode then play HDR content and then activation of supported game modes. Do not use HDR+ or any other artificial HDR settings for native HDR. Other modes( Standard Dynamic) ignore the META-data and will stay in REC 709.

Make sure dimming is maxed for HDR and that colour space is auto(native can be use too or BT2020). On Samsung TVS use dynamic Contrast Med-high(careful on high it might cause blowouts) Gamma+2 and Smart Led High. These HDR settings will give you the best accurate HDR PQ 4 your set.

MazeHaze

Banned
I'm in Prague in the day so that might not help.

I just changed it from HDR Bright to HDR Vivid which seems to make the switch more noticeable but then I'm not sure if that's just the effect of contrast being jacked to 100 automatically when on HDR mode along with oled light. Would be good to know what settings people recommend for a B6 OLED in HDR mode.

Here's the menus looking dodgy in hdr mode:

SDR

HDR
Any kind of vivid setting is gonna oversaturate and blow out the colors. HDR screen grabs look near identical to SDR with proper settings when viewed on an sdr device. I would lose the vivid mode.

MCD

All you guys listen please.. For proper HDR TV must be in movie mode then play HDR content and then activation of supported game modes. Do not use HDR+ or any other artificial HDR settings for native HDR. Other modes( Standard Dynamic) ignore the META-data and will stay in REC 709.

Make sure dimming is maxed for HDR and that colour space is auto(native can be use too or BT2020). On Samsung TVS use dynamic Contrast Med-high(careful on high it might cause blowouts) Gamma+2 and Smart Led High. These HDR settings will give you the best accurate HDR PQ 4 your set.

Problem with the Sammy is that in Game mode I must make these adjustments every time I play an HDR game. Annoying.

Smokey

Are you guys going to be make a video with your thoughts on DX: MD with HDR?

DeeBatch

Any kind of vivid setting is gonna oversaturate and blow out the colors. HDR screen grabs look near identical to SDR with proper settings when viewed on an sdr device. I would lose the vivid mode.

Yes this is correct must be in movie mode.. Dynamic contrast can be used in HDR on Samsung TVs though viamovie mode . SDR and HDR will look virual the same on SDR screen. Yes colour will look slightly different due to higher dynamic range and BT2020 but SDR monitor still displays it in REC 709. So to some people they think HDR is some type of filter... HDR needs to be seen on HDR screen that simple.. Only point of showing HDR on SDR is that something is different just cant quantify the degree to which it is.

DeeBatch

Problem with the Sammy is that in Game mode I must make these adjustments every time I play an HDR game. Annoying.

When in game mode and HDR adjust the settings exit game mode and settings are kept just for game mode.. You now should have 2 different modes calibrated independently . I agree though very annoying having to always adjust according to SDR or HDR.

Scrawnton

you sir, deserve mad props. I am using a samsung with HDR and am currently playing Forza Horizon 3 and the HDR looked jaw dropping; I just set my Gamma to +2 and my mind is blown even further with how much better it looks with just that minor tweak.

Thank you so much!

Also, colorspace is better set for auto for me? It was originally set to native...

McSpidey

Have confirmed on an E6 LG Oled calibrating for Full + HDR output has a correct black level, but Limited + HDR has a raised black level.

Elios83

Tried the effect on my Samsung 49KS8000.
Unfortunately I have a new game plus save at the beginning of the game in Dubai so I can't see the effect in night Prague where it probably gives its best.
But it's a subtle thing, there is definetly a better local contrast, but it's far from a night and day difference.

So Game Mode doesn't detect any HDR signals?

From my understanding, I start off in movie mode to get the TV to recognize the HDR content and then switch to Game Mode. That'll keep the HDR content and have the benefits of Game Mode?

I always thought that it was one mode or the other. I didn't know it worked like that.

Elios83

From my understanding, I start off in movie mode to get the TV to recognize the HDR content and then switch to Game Mode. That'll keep the HDR content and have the benefits of Game Mode?

I always thought that it was one mode or the other. I didn't know it worked like that.

On my TV even in game mode when you launch the game after a short while it appears the message (from the TV firmware) that HDR material is in reproduction.
Btw movie mode as it is looks totally yellow and blurred to me, I don't use it.

DeeBatch

you sir, deserve mad props. I am using a samsung with HDR and am currently playing Forza Horizon 3 and the HDR looked jaw dropping; I just set my Gamma to +2 and my mind is blown even further with how much better it looks with just that minor tweak.

Thank you so much!

Also, colorspace is better set for auto for me? It was originally set to native...

Great glad I could help.. Yes Auto is proper setting and Metadata will adjust accordingly.

DeeBatch

Yes lot's don't know . Game mode activated from movie mode will detect HDR correctly..

DeeBatch

On my TV even in game mode when you launch the game after a short while it appears the message (from the TV firmware) that HDR material is in reproduction.
Btw movie mode as it is looks totally yellow and blurred to me, I don't use it.

Then you are not getting correct colours or image as intended so you know..

ukas

What's if I'm watching through an HDR TV? They can't release HDR video files?

That's the only way you would be able to tell the difference. Even then I'm not sure if direct capture would work like that. No streaming services support HDR just yet, ie youtube, dailymotion etc.

on my TV its one way or the other. once I switch it to HDR in the DeusEx menus it turns on my TV's HDR mode and I'm not able to change it back unless go back and turn if off in DeusEx. the option to change any picture modes is greyed out on my TV's settings when DeusEx has control over the TV.

XBR55X850D

Tagg9

on my TV its one way or the other. once I switch it to HDR in the DeusEx menus it turns on my TV's HDR mode and I'm not able to change it back unless go back and turn if off in DeusEx. the option to change any picture modes is greyed out on my TV's settings when DeusEx has control over the TV.

XBR55X850D

I'm rocking the same TV. Everything looks way more muted now. Not a fan of it, but presumably it's closer to the developer's vision?

XBR55X850D

Yeah, it's the same way for me as well (Samsung KU6300). My other options are greyed out, giving me the impression that I have to have one mode or the other. I haven't had the opportunity to test out any console related HDR content yet but I do get the little pop up when I stream HDR content on the TV either through Netflix or PC. Will have to test this when I get home.

I'm rocking the same TV. Everything looks way more muted now. Not a fan of it, but presumably it's closer to the developer's vision?

it must be the way Eidos has scaled HDR in this game. watching Narcos and other HDR content it's very apparent when its on and it looks stunning.

someone also said it's only really noticeable at night in Prague, i just started a new game+ so it's daylight in the game right now.

I have a feeling future games will truly make use of the wide colour range we see in the movies and TV shows on netflix/amazon.

Neat. I'll be getting an HDR capable TV soon.

Outside of talkling about it, there is really no way to show it. It's impossible. It's like advertising HDTV's in commercials with people having SDTV's back in the day. It just can't be done. But none of that is stopping you from discussing your impressions on a DF video, you just won't have anything to show.

Mesharey

The option is grayed out for me even though my TV supports HDR and I activated it on both my TV settings and PS4.
I tried to switch HDMI cables too, no luck. :(

I have Samsung, any idea what to do? ._.

Make sure your RGB settings are matched up. Muted colors sounds like you TV is RGB Full and your PS4 is to RGB limtied (or on auto that isn't detecting things properly).

The other thing could be that you had your TV set to some dumb ass "vivid" mode. Your eyes adapted to these insanely blasted colors, high sharpness, high contrast etc., and now what you're seeing is a far more accurate image, yet because of the disparity it now seems "muted."

Top Bottom