• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gets Console HDR Support

I had the Vizio P series back in June,while I was deciding which tv to get. I also had the Sony 850c. Only thing I could test both dolby vision and hdr10 was Marco Polo on Netflix. Dong a side by side comparison there was basically no difference. Any real difference was the tvs themselves.
I've had a Vizio P65-C1 since May and I can attest that Marco Polo S1 is the absolute worst piece of content to judge HDR on, though its strengths are in its dark scenes.

There is so much more UHD content out now. Even back in June, though, you could have watched Mad Max: Fury Road, which is considered one of the best UHD masters thus far.

Do you think there's any performance cost on the PS4 with HDR on? I've been wondering this since they announced HDR for the original PS4. I imagine it's insignificant if it's there anyway. Same question for the Xbox One and One S I suppose. Could you do a video on that?
If there is a performance hit for HDR, it's insignificant.

Turned it on on my Samsung UE43KS7500 (UK Model).

Detects it all, and says HDR, but the picture just looks awful. Tried starting it in movie mode first then going to game mode. Makes no difference.

HD Colour is enabled for HDMI1 and all that jazz. It 'detects' HDR fine and shows the symbol.

Just the game looks like junk. Lights have this weird affect where they just look darker in the middle. It's really poor looking.

Probably just setting as everything detects ok, but a poor first outing for HDR.

Questions I have currently
------------------------------
* Should HDMI UHD Color on the HDMI Interface be ON/OFF? Some say yes for PS4. Other sites say no and only some Samsung Blu-Ray Player requires this setting.
* Should the RGB colour space be low or normal.

I will continue to play with settings and monitor this thread. Lighting looks so poor and overblown that there must be an issue somewhere.

I don't have any other HDR contents before. :/

Quick search in Google and from the TV settings there was an option to turn it on, and when I switch to PS4 it says "HDMI UHD Color", so I think it supports?

I think the HU series only does HDR with that connect box upgrade you have to buy for the TV. And even that may only for the the HU8000s

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Yeah, I turned HDR on for my samsung, but it looks like butt. I fucked around with it for a bit, trying to get the image to look better, but ended up turning it off. I'm also waiting for my PS4 Pro to arrive before I sink more time into it.

DeeBatch

Samsung TV's don't either, HDR is picked up whatever mode you have it in.

Yes but only Movie mode processes the METADATA correctly.. This is important because the other modes just do SDR when they see metadata.. Movie mode puts the tv in proper HDR mode with WCG.

DeeBatch

Nothing uses BT2020 colour 100% since there are no mastering monitors that reach that gamut. HDR Blu-ray is only mastered with DCI-P3 displays, but they store it in the BT.2020 container. Apparently Xbox HDR games don't even use a wider gamut, and the same is probably true for PS4, so the only benefit we see is the increased highlights. Maybe 10-bit gradients if we're lucky.

No monitor currently available can take advantage of HDR since none of them support the HDR10 or Dolby Vision standard and the electro-optical transfer function. Having a 10-bit panel or support for wider gamut doesn't magically make it understand the HDR signal, and if the current HDR games don't even touch the wcg, the benefit would be nil anyways.

IPS in particular lacks the deep blacks needed for Ultra HD Premium certification so even if the panel ticks all the other boxes like 10-bit, DCI-P3, 1000 nits, it'll fall short and only be HDR "ready". My guess is the first HDR monitors will be VA/OLED exclusively. You can already see from the upcoming models how more and more VA panels are coming out, even if they aren't HDR yet.

Dead on right now for gaming we are just getting increased highlights and dynamic range. The really need to use WCG for HDR games don't understand why they are not in first place. YES IPS is not ideal for HDR and thank you for explaing to some why 10 bit panel is not enough for HDR.. Some p[eople saying I have 10 bit monitor and can increase my contrast and backlight to full to get HDR. Does not work like that..

DeeBatch

the HU7200 isnt an HDR screen from what I recall, where do you recall seeing it was?

HU7200 with a sek 3500u(evolution kit) can do HDR. The panel is 10 bits then Evolution kit adds 4 HDMI 2.0a HDCP 2.2 ports . It has the new sil9777 chip to process HDR and a whole host of new processors for CPU to video and scalers. Basically turns the HU into a JS model minus the quantom dots.

DeeBatch

Turned it on on my Samsung UE43KS7500 (UK Model).

Detects it all, and says HDR, but the picture just looks awful. Tried starting it in movie mode first then going to game mode. Makes no difference.

HD Colour is enabled for HDMI1 and all that jazz. It 'detects' HDR fine and shows the symbol.

Just the game looks like junk. Lights have this weird affect where they just look darker in the middle. It's really poor looking.

Probably just setting as everything detects ok, but a poor first outing for HDR.

Questions I have currently
------------------------------
* Should HDMI UHD Color on the HDMI Interface be ON/OFF? Some say yes for PS4. Other sites say no and only some Samsung Blu-Ray Player requires this setting.
* Should the RGB colour space be low or normal.

I will continue to play with settings and monitor this thread. Lighting looks so poor and overblown that there must be an issue somewhere.

UHD colour should be on always for HDR.. Make sure in movie modes as you know.. Put gamma +2 and dynamic contrast to High. This will improve your image and this is recommended by spectracal.

UHD colour should be on always for HDR.. Make sure in movie modes as you know.. But gamma +2 and dynamic contrast to High. This will improve your image and this is recommended by spectracal.

On this Samsung set, setting to Game Mode (even under Movies) turns the movie mode off (I can tell, as it gets rid of the warm2 setting and everything else).

Even in Movie mode, whites on characters faces are totally blown out, it looks a total mess.

If I play Bosch on Amazon prime I get the HDR flag and it looks perfect.

It looks so poor, I think there has to be more to it than the gamma and contrast. This isn't a matter of making it look 'better'. It's simply making it look normal.

With HDR on it looks absolutely terrible.

jorgejjvr

I have a HDR TV.

Do I have to change some settings on the game and/or TV?

I see an option on my TV for game mode, which I normally do, and another for HDR. But I can't have both on at the same time.

Samsung smart TV.

Any advise?

Lister

Banned
I have a HDR TV.

I see an option on my TV for game mode, which I normally do, and another for HDR. But I can't have both on at the same time.

Samsung smart TV.

Any advise?

Get used to bad input lag?

Some TV's that support HDR don't also support game mode, and many will add a lot of latency when HDR mode is on.

You might want to check in the manual, and play to compare input lag.

This will improve your image and this is recommended by spectracal.
Did they specify sets? 'Cause if not, then that's a dangerous suggestion to give to anyone. Especially considering each set is different and there can be variations with panels of the same model line.

For example, picture settings needn't be touched with Dolby Vision settings. And HDR10 sources are all over the place in regards to their output. One title may need a gamma adjust of +2, but then another needn't any change.

ISF calibrator are still trying to figure out this mess, with no clear definition. Though I thought I saw Samsung display calibration guidelines at one of the most recent tech shows. When those are released to all, that should help.

DeeBatch

On this Samsung set, setting to Game Mode (even under Movies) turns the movie mode off (I can tell, as it gets rid of the warm2 setting and everything else).

Even in Movie mode, whites on characters faces are totally blown out, it looks a total mess.

If I play Bosch on Amazon prime I get the HDR flag and it looks perfect.

It looks so poor, I think there has to be more to it than the gamma and contrast. This isn't a matter of making it look 'better'. It's simply making it look normal.

With HDR on it looks absolutely terrible.

What Tv do you have?

DeeBatch

Did they specify sets? 'Cause if not, then that's a dangerous suggestion to give to anyone. Especially considering each set is different and there can be variations with panels of the same model line.

For example, picture settings needn't be touched with Dolby Vision settings. And HDR10 sources are all over the place in regards to their output. One title may need a gamma adjust of +2, but then another needn't any change.

ISF calibrator are still trying to figure out this mess, with no clear definition. Though I thought I saw Samsung display calibration guidelines at one of the most recent tech shows. When those are released to all, that should help.

This was for Samsung Tv's the spectracal mentioned the gamma+2. They are regulars on AVS forums.. From testing we realized that Dynamic contrast works differently in HDR mode purest say MED extremist like High setting.

Karak

Tested on our 3 current test sets. The 4th died and had to be shipped back lol.

And agreed with many others. It looks good...and very poor in various places. Regardless of the set I test it on.

Correct in so many ways man.

Yes but only Movie mode processes the METADATA correctly.. This is important because the other modes just do SDR when they see metadata.. Movie mode puts the tv in proper HDR mode with WCG.

Let's see if I've got this correct, you have to be on movie mode, let it detect HDR, then select game mode?

Elios83

Then you are not getting correct colours or image as intended so you know..

As I said the movie mode as it is simply looks terrible on my TV.
It has this warm2 color temperature that makes the image look pure yellow.
It has a zero sharpness setting which makes the image look absolutely blurred.
I don't think that the image is supposed to look yellow and blurred...
Also if you don't use game mode, with HDR enabled the latency is too high for games, it's over 100ms and you can totally feel that controls become more unresponsive.
I have HDR demos like the LG Chess and the Sony Camping HDR demo which look amazing in standard/game mode.
Unfortunately HDR doesn't make a lot of difference in this game based on what I've seen, it's more a subtle thing.

Harp

I've had a Vizio P65-C1 since May and I can attest that Marco Polo S1 is the absolute worst piece of content to judge HDR on, though its strengths are in its dark scenes.

There is so much more UHD content out now. Even back in June, though, you could have watched Mad Max: Fury Road, which is considered one of the best UHD masters thus far.

I own Madmax on blueray, not going to spend another 30 bucks for UHD unfortunately. Good movie but I have already spent 50 bucks to watch that movie twice.

Yeah, I turned HDR on for my samsung, but it looks like butt. I fucked around with it for a bit, trying to get the image to look better, but ended up turning it off. I'm also waiting for my PS4 Pro to arrive before I sink more time into it.

Make sure dynamic contrast is set to high. Changing that and gamma made my forza experience so much better.

Edit: Dee beat me

HU7200 with a sek 3500u(evolution kit) can do HDR. The panel is 10 bits then Evolution kit adds 4 HDMI 2.0a HDCP 2.2 ports . It has the new sil9777 chip to process HDR and a whole host of new processors for CPU to video and scalers. Basically turns the HU into a JS model minus the quantom dots.

Yep. Got one for my HU9000. Was like a new television quality-wise and saved me from having to upgrade.

DeeBatch

Samsung UE43KS7500 (UK Model)

use movie mode .. Put colour to 55 make sure smart led is set to high and colour space set to auto.. That Tv is quantum dot correct? you should not be having horrible PQ perhaps your tv is a dud. Anyways after these setting and hdr video or game is active switch to game mode from within Movie mode by go to general settings and turning Game mode on. Use dynamic contrast high and gamma +2. If still looks like crap to you then it either your Tv(doubtful) or you just don't like or know what to expect with HDR.

As I said the movie mode as it is simply looks terrible on my TV.
It has this warm2 color temperature that makes the image look pure yellow.
It has a zero sharpness setting which makes the image look absolutely blurred.
I don't think that the image is supposed to look yellow and blurred...
Also if you don't use game mode, with HDR enabled the latency is too high for games, it's over 100ms and you can totally feel that controls become more unresponsive.
I have HDR demos like the LG Chess and the Sony Camping HDR demo which look amazing in standard/game mode.
Unfortunately HDR doesn't make a lot of difference in this game based on what I've seen, it's more a subtle thing.
You have the ks8000, right? I have the same tv. Unfortunately it sounds like you've gotten accustomed to the mode it ships in. Unless your tv has some sort of software bug, warm2 is actually closer to color reference than standard. Sharpness=0 isn't blurring the image, it's just not adding a sharpening effect on top of it. You can see this if you send a 4K signal from a computer to it and open a text editor. You'll see that things are resolved at full fidelity. Switching to warm2 from standard is initially jarring, but after spending a few minutes there, switching back will feel just as jarring and unnatural. Give it a shot.

use movie mode .. Put colour to 55 make sure smart led is set to high and colour space set to auto.. That Tv is quantum dot correct? you should not be having horrible PQ perhaps your tv is a dud. Anyways after these setting and hdr video or game is active switch to game mode from within Movie mode by go to general settings and turning Game mode on. Use dynamic contrast high and gamma +2. If still looks like crap to you then it either your Tv(doubtful) or you just don't like or know what to expect with HDR.

Did your stuff. Looked slightly better...
Then I sorted it!
In Deus Ex go to display and set then contrast test thing to default. Setting that made 100% difference. Game looks normal now.

Drewfonse

What a clusterfuck the rollout if HDR gaming is turning into.

And for Deus Ex to be the first PS game to support it? Pffft. Not exactly the best showcase.

I have a 2015 Samsung 2015 HDR set, and followed the suggestions on gamma, smart LED, etc, and the picture still looks mediocre.

Hopefully the Pro integration if HDR is more user friendly, because this is confusing so far.

Hmmm...

Contrast test thing? Will try later.

You know, the thing all games have. "Move this bar until you can barely see the X" thing.
It's the only option in display settings above the HDR toggle.
Go into that and push the button to 'set to defaults'. Be interested to see if you think it looks better.

Robot Pants

What a clusterfuck the rollout if HDR gaming is turning into.

Yea I'll say. I talked with a guy at bestbuy for about an hour about everything. He's a huge gamer has forza in HDR and says it's a huge deal, which I believe. But he has an OLED tv and that's just a league of its own.
My tv only has patched in HDR and I just know because of how real HDR works that patched in is not gonna be great. So I was pretty convinced I was just gonna upgrade to the newer Sony model this year once it drops in price a bit. But then he was telling me these sonys are actually only 8-bit panels that use software to make it 10-bit, they only had one true 10-bit panel in the store and it was a Samsung.

The whole HDR thing just seems like it still needs to be worked out. And judging by what people are seeing with Deus Ex and how hard it is to get it to look good on supposed HDR sets I'm convinced to just wait a year or two until everything is figured out. All these little tricks to the TVs are doing to process that HDR signal tends to make it look washed out (on mine too) since it isn't true HDR.

And apparently my x850c is better than the 850d is just about every department, and it's still barely an HDR tv.
So I'm gonna wait. And I think the dude convinced me to just go OLED

Syrus

Banned

Wrong , new update allows HDR in standard and also it works in game mode on all KS models.

Game mode you havr to manually adjust backlight and contrast to max.

The color gamut is just as good as movie mode.

Yea I'll say. I talked with a guy at bestbuy for about an hour about everything. He's a huge gamer has forza in HDR and says it's a huge deal, which I believe. But he has an OLED tv and that's just a league of its own.
My tv only has patched in HDR and I just know because of how real HDR works that patched in is not gonna be great. So I was pretty convinced I was just gonna upgrade to the newer Sony model this year once it drops in price a bit. But then he was telling me these sonys are actually only 8-bit panels that use software to make it 10-bit, they only had one true 10-bit panel in the store and it was a Samsung.

The whole HDR thing just seems like it still needs to be worked out. And judging by what people are seeing with Deus Ex and how hard it is to get it to look good on supposed HDR sets I'm convinced to just wait a year or two until everything is figured out. All these little tricks to the TVs are doing to process that HDR signal tends to make it look washed out (on mine too) since it isn't true HDR.

And apparently my x850c is better than the 850d is just about every department, and it's still barely an HDR tv.
So I'm gonna wait. And I think the dude convinced me to just go OLED
Your biggest mistake is listening to a Best Buy Associate. The Vizio P-Series are true 10-but panels. I would think Sony's Z9D is, but I don't know. Oh, and Best Buy carries both those sets. I can't speak for the LG OLEDs, and since I don't know I won't say either way. Someone else will surely chime in with that information.

Lucifon

Tested on our 3 current test sets. The 4th died and had to be shipped back lol.

And agreed with many others. It looks good...and very poor in various places. Regardless of the set I test it on.

Correct in so many ways man.
Hey Karak - just wondering if you have any idea what settings you use for your 2016 LG OLED when testing hdr? Do you just leave the settings default or are there some tweaks I should be looking to make? Hdr bright / vivid / standard?

Begaria

Pretty decent comparison shot of HDR on PS4

https://twitter.com/VHyttinen/status/783341321369030656

Ct78wWKXEAAPvZC.jpg

Drewfonse

You know, the thing all games have. "Move this bar until you can barely see the X" thing.
It's the only option in display settings above the HDR toggle.
Go into that and push the button to 'set to defaults'. Be interested to see if you think it looks better.

I will, thanks

MazeHaze

Banned
I have a HDR TV.

Samsung smart TV.

Any advise?

HDR is not a mode, you are talking about HDR+ which is for converting SDR content to HDR. Just use game mode and the tv will display HDR with the low input lag.

Wrong , new update allows HDR in standard and also it works in game mode on all KS models.

Game mode you havr to manually adjust backlight and contrast to max.

The color gamut is just as good as movie mode.

Why is it advantageous to have it in standard vs Movie? Aren't they just different template modes you can tweak anyway? I agree my TV does appear to detect HDR in standard, so fine, whatever.

It seems on my series 7 Samsung setting 'Game' mode changes from the Movie mode when you select it as a sub option anyway (i.e. it disables warm2, contrast is different etc ,etc and you get a whole different lot of settings). Almost like game mode is it's own thing.

I agree with other posters saying that HDR settings/standards etc is just a total clusterfuck at the moment.

These posts of "WRONG" or "YOU MUST DO THIS" with absolutely zero evidence to back any of it up certainly don't help.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I agree with other posters saying that HDR settings/standards etc is just a total clusterfuck at the moment.

These posts of "WRONG" or "YOU MUST DO THIS" with absolutely zero evidence to back any of it up certainly don't help.

I'm ponying up the $400-$500 it's going to cost me for a professional calibration when I get the chance.

Robot Pants

Your biggest mistake is listening to a Best Buy Associate. The Vizio P-Series are true 10-but panels. I would think Sony's Z9D is, but I don't know. Oh, and Best Buy carries both those sets. I can't speak for the LG OLEDs, and since I don't know I won't say either way. Someone else will surely chime in with that information.
It's not like I'm only listening to him. Obviously there are 10bit panels out there (and yes the Z9D is also 10 bit I think) it's just that it all doesn't seem to be worked out fully yet so I'm not gonna rush to upgrade my patched-HDR tv for an HDR one just yet. Gonna wait at least a year.

huh1678

Banned
I wanted the Sony X800D but this thread has totally killed the idea for me. I really wanted something to go with the PS4 Pro but now i just don't know.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I wanted the Sony X800D but this thread has totally killed the idea for me. I really wanted something to go with the PS4 Pro but now i just don't know.

We're definitely still in the teething age of HDR.
Even movies aren't really mastered to a single standard as users on AVS have reported settings that work perfectly with one set of UHD films causes issues with others.

Fbh

Ok guys I need some help.
I do own a TV that as far as I know is HDR compatible. It's a Samsung JS8500.

Is there something I should be doing to activate HDR? Because I'm not seeing any difference nor any sign that HDR is active. In fact, now under the "video" options in the game there is some sort of HDR option under brightness but it's greyed out.

Just to be sure I deactivated Game Mode but other than giving me massive input lag there is no difference

Ok guys I need some help.
I do own a TV that as far as I know is HDR compatible. It's a Samsung JS8500.

Is there something I should be doing to activate HDR? Because I'm not seeing any difference nor any sign that HDR is active. In fact, now under the "video" options in the game there is some sort of HDR option under brightness but it's greyed out.

Just to be sure I deactivated Game Mode but other than giving me massive input lag there is no difference

Is your backlight and contrast not maxing out when HDR is detected then?

Edit: I have a JS9000.

Top Bottom