• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gets Console HDR Support

defiant04

Banned
Ok guys I need some help.
I do own a TV that as far as I know is HDR compatible. It's a Samsung JS8500.

Is there something I should be doing to activate HDR? Because I'm not seeing any difference nor any sign that HDR is active. In fact, now under the "video" options in the game there is some sort of HDR option under brightness but it's greyed out.

Just to be sure I deactivated Game Mode but other than giving me massive input lag there is no difference

Have you upgraded your tv's firmware?

Fbh

Is your backlight and contrast not maxing out when HDR is detected then?

Edit: I have a JS9000.

No.
I haven't seen anything to indicate that a HDR signal has even been detected.
Did you have to activate anything in the option menu of the TV?

Have you upgraded your tv's firmware?

Yes.
I have it set to auto update.

Just to be sure I did a manual update search and it says there are no new updates availables

This title HDR is working on Vizio 2016 P Series, reports are that it looks great, very sharp, and great color. Pics posted on AVSForum, in the owners thread.

This PS4 only until next firmware update fixes Xbox One S HDR gaming. There, is also a input lag fix coming that will remove HDR lag. 45ms with a backlight brightness increasing it to 35ms. Increasing backlight to 100 introduce motion blur.

Dead on right now for gaming we are just getting increased highlights and dynamic range. The really need to use WCG for HDR games don't understand why they are not in first place. YES IPS is not ideal for HDR and thank you for explaing to some why 10 bit panel is not enough for HDR.. Some p[eople saying I have 10 bit monitor and can increase my contrast and backlight to full to get HDR. Does not work like that..

Well my, Vizio 2016 P Series P55-C1 is a IPS panel with FALD and does an amazing job with HDR and deep blacks. Tyler Pruitt of Spectracal, said that they're P55-C1 performs very well.

branny

I was saving Mankind Divided until the PS4 Pro came out but decided to give the HDR patch a try. My TV is a Samsung KS8000. (TV's backlight is set to 20 as usual for HDR content.) Put me down for getting that white flash issue whenever the camera changes in cutscenes.

For some reason, changing the PS4 from Limited (and TV's Black Level from Low) to Full (and TV's Black Level to Normal) alters the HDR image output. The calibration eye disappears for me at 70% game brightness with Limited/Low but disappears at 45% game brightness with Full/Normal. This really shouldn't be happening--the HDR signal should remain the same, right?

A while back I also noticed that the PS4 does a poor job matching black levels on its own. Whenever I had RGB Range set to Automatic (along with the HDMI Black Level on my TV set to "Auto"), the PS4 kept switching between Full and Limited randomly on me. I eventually restricted it to Limited and matched that to Low on my TV. Now it seems like the Full/Normal combo somehow gives a better result when HDR is enabled...? Ugh...

Anyway, judging only from the starting area, the HDR image in Mankind Divided (on Full/Normal) is okay, but it's nowhere near as amazing as it is in Forza Horizon 3. The beginning inside the helicopter looks nice, though, so I'm guessing other parts of the game might look better.

Edit:
Re Full vs Limited - I'm in general agreement that it's easier to calibrate for Limited however since there's another thread to debate HDR standards and labels, this one is about Deus Ex, my Deus Ex experience is that PS4 + Limited + HDR appears to have an incorrect (raised) black level, at least on LG E6 OLEDl. All other combinations work fine (SDR + full or limited, HDR + Full), so you have to run Full.

Oops, just saw this. Guess it's a thing, lol.

Edit 2: Okay, played more. The intro area doesn't do it justice--it does look better in the rest of the game. :D

Ok guys I need some help.
I do own a TV that as far as I know is HDR compatible. It's a Samsung JS8500.

Is there something I should be doing to activate HDR? Because I'm not seeing any difference nor any sign that HDR is active. In fact, now under the "video" options in the game there is some sort of HDR option under brightness but it's greyed out.

Just to be sure I deactivated Game Mode but other than giving me massive input lag there is no difference

I have the same TV and also have a 4K uhd player and tried a friend's xbox one S, both successfully displayed HDR. Make sure UHD colour is on your PS4s input. Will be trying out deus ex on ps4 later today.

defiant04

Banned
No.

As far as I can tell the tv does not indicate that a HDR signal has been detected...though I've only viewed HDR content on Netflix and Amazon prime.

I usually set the picture to movie mode then switch it to HDR+ mode when viewing HDR content.

huh1678

Banned
Mate I've been playing 4K PC games for a year now, and believe me, HDR or no HDR it'll look amazing.

Yeah i know it'll look great but at this point i feel like waiting til HDR gets better would be ideal since HDR seems like such a big deal vs 4k alone.

But I may get a X800D anyway since its the right size(43") i want and there aren't many good 4k HDR sets around that size. It'll be good enough like how the PS4 Pro is good enough is how I'll likely justify getting it soon ha ha.

Yeah i know it'll look great but at this point i feel like waiting til HDR gets better would be ideal since HDR seems like such a big deal vs 4k alone.

But I may get a X800D anyway since its the right size(43") i want and there aren't many good 4k HDR sets around that size. It'll be good enough like how the PS4 Pro is good enough is how I'll likely justify getting it soon ha ha.

I say go for it, the high end sets will always be a high end price, and there will always be something new around the corner. You can return it after some time of trying it out if it isn't what you expected.

Heard good things about Vizio P series 2016.

huh1678

Banned
I say go for it, the high end sets will always be a high end price, and there will always be something new around the corner. You can return it after some time of trying it out if it isn't what you expected.

Heard good things about Vizio P series 2016.

Yeah that will be my plan since there will always be better for higher price. I just want 4k + HDR with WCG. im planning to use this set in my room with PS4Pro/PC and the vizio P smallest size is 50" which is too large sadly.

Fbh

I have the same TV and also have a 4K uhd player and tried a friend's xbox one S, both successfully displayed HDR. Make sure UHD colour is on your PS4s input. Will be trying out deus ex on ps4 later today.

So how do you know HDR is active. Is the difference that big?.

I tried activating UHD color but all it did was make the image look washed out and the HDR option in the options menu of the game was still greyed out.

Do I need a new/special HDMI cable? I'm using the one that came with my Ps4

I tried activating UHD color but all it did was make the image look washed out and the HDR option in the options menu of the game was still greyed out.

Should be enough of a difference, our TVs aren't the "premium standard" but they still handle it pretty well.
Going to report back here once I try in a couple of hours. Hopefully I don't have the same issue and it isn't the TV

Soriku

I don't have a Samsung but on my LG TV it says HDR content playing at the top right, in addition to switching to a unique HDR mode automatically (btw I only checked out HDR demos via USB; if you're on Game mode or whatever for PS4, I'm not sure if your TV automatically switches to an HDR mode).

I can also press "info" on my remote and it tells me I'm receiving an HDR signal (plus checking the resolution, etc.).

If you need new cables, give these a try:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SSD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's not like I'm only listening to him. Obviously there are 10bit panels out there (and yes the Z9D is also 10 bit I think) it's just that it all doesn't seem to be worked out fully yet so I'm not gonna rush to upgrade my patched-HDR tv for an HDR one just yet. Gonna wait at least a year.
Fair enough. Your post just read like the dude's word was solid. At least that's how I read it.

Also, LG'S current run of OLED panels are also 10-bit.
This title HDR is working on Vizio 2016 P Series, reports are that it looks great, very sharp, and great color. Pics posted on AVSForum, in the owners thread.

This PS4 only until next firmware update fixes Xbox One S HDR gaming. There, is also a input lag fix coming that will remove HDR lag. 45ms with a backlight brightness increasing it to 35ms. Increasing backlight to 100 introduce motion blur.
I can attest to the first paragraph. I started a new game on Deus Ex (my saves are at the end) and did notice some objects being overly bright. I was also paying attention to dark areas and found excellent shadow detail. However, I can't say that the first level is the best example. As others have stated, though, I'm saving my second play through for my PS4 Pro.

As for the second paragraph, I was quite pleased to hear Matt McRae echo the next firmware coming down the pipeline. However, for whatever reason, talk of the P-Series has died a lot in this thread and seems to be self contained in its own thread.

Doesn't sound right at all to me, the giveaway being the HDR menu in game being greyed out. Sounds like the PS4 is fucking about to me, being glitchy with detection.

-VipeR

Banned
Pretty decent comparison shot of HDR on PS4

https://twitter.com/VHyttinen/status/783341321369030656

Ct78wWKXEAAPvZC.jpg

that looks awful.
The colors are saturated and crushed. Unless the second picture is the HDR one.

that looks awful.
The colors are saturated and crushed. Unless the second picture is the HDR one.
Of course it looks awful. It is impossible to capture HDR and display it on a standard display. Whatever that GAFfer used to take the picture, well, it's doing the best it can, but the brightness of HDR is throwing it way off.

In real life, then picture is gorgeous and not in any way representative of the picture.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Of course it looks awful. It is impossible to capture HDR and display it on a standard display. Whatever that GAFfer used to take the picture, well, it's doing the best it can, but the brightness of HDR is throwing it way off.

In real life, then picture is gorgeous and not in any way representative of the picture.

It's crazy to see so many people insisting on comparison shots still.

-VipeR

Banned

Yeah but look at that tweet. People are praising it like a flock.
It looks bad. the second one looks like actual HDR.
The first one looks like he turned RGB to full on a tv that doesn't support it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah but look at that tweet. People are praising it like a flock.
It looks bad. the second one looks like actual HDR.
The first one looks like he turned RGB to full on a tv that doesn't support it.

People love oversaturated colors and deep (crushed) blacks.
Been that way forever, and the reason Vivid mode exists.

Karak

Hey Karak - just wondering if you have any idea what settings you use for your 2016 LG OLED when testing hdr? Do you just leave the settings default or are there some tweaks I should be looking to make? Hdr bright / vivid / standard?

I always have some tweaks. Every game currently will probably have a couple to be honest just simply due to the way the consoles/HDR work. Honestly I can't remember. I am doing a huge blow out on GEARS HDR and comparisons and will go back and check. Friday I will try to DM you a video link of it.

-VipeR

Banned

Actually it is very possible to capture the difference using a camera. You'll be able to see more details in darker and brighter areas when HDR is on. For example, the photos provided, the second one looks to be the HDR one.

TheRyanx2

Neo Member

I have the P50 and this is great to hear! Will go check out AVS pics later. I still wish Sony would release some sort of demo app to test this out though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Actually it is very possible to capture the difference using a camera. You'll be able to see more details in darker and brighter areas when HDR is on. For example, the photos provided, the second one looks to be the HDR one.

You can capture "a difference", but it's not the HDR difference.
Everything is thrown off no matter what details you can make out.

Drewfonse

No.

Yes.
I have it set to auto update.

Just to be sure I did a manual update search and it says there are no new updates availables

I have that TV. Have you enabled UHD Color for that input in the picture settings? You need to.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There is another issue with HDR, besides not being able to compare and contrast without an HDR panel: Unlike say, resolution, where a 4K TV is a 4K TV, HDR panels are going to vary in quality and coverage of the spec.

A cheaper TV that supports HDR isn't going to replicate the same color and luminosity range that a $10,000 OLED hgih end panel would.

And no, I'm not saying your TV sucks ;) But I am saying it could be an issue of someone else's TV being more compliant with the spec and the effect being more noticeable there.

Or, a sI mentioned, that HDR isn't some magic thing and for somepeople it's not going to be like the religious experience marketing says it should be.

Surely that isn't much different from SDR screens varying dramatically in contrast and brightness depending on how good the panel and driving electronics are?

DeeBatch

Wrong , new update allows HDR in standard and also it works in game mode on all KS models.

Game mode you havr to manually adjust backlight and contrast to max.

The color gamut is just as good as movie mode.

ahhhh New update ... Just read up on it on AVS good to know. However Movie mode is still recommend for proper HDR reproduction.

DeeBatch

Do we know when/if HDR10 standards will be worked out?

HDR standards are worked out.. Dynamic Metadata is coming in 2017 . HDR reproduction is fine. The problem is gaming HDR reproduction is baking it in afterwards.. The game needs to be graded for HDR from the Start. Lots of games are just baking it in. FH3 was built with HDR from ground up same with GOW4. However these games are not using REC 2020/DCI P3 the use rec 709. So instead of using 1.07 billion colours to create a WCG they create the much lower REC 709 colors.. This is why HDR movies look so much better much more information is available of the image.. HDR gaming needs to be WCG seriously makes a big difference.

Mesharey

HU7200 with a sek 3500u(evolution kit) can do HDR. The panel is 10 bits then Evolution kit adds 4 HDMI 2.0a HDCP 2.2 ports . It has the new sil9777 chip to process HDR and a whole host of new processors for CPU to video and scalers. Basically turns the HU into a JS model minus the quantom dots.
So apparently my TV doesn't support HDR but at least this box adds it, thanks for telling me about it!

I found this one on Amazon, my TV (HU7200) isn't a US model afaik, does it matter? (I just use it for games)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V9Z6392/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This might help.

Ok so uh, for PS4. My settings should be Full and then my TV should be normal? Or is it limited + low. This is all confusing lol.

McSpidey

On LG OLEDs the combination language is
Console: Full = TV Black Level setting:High
Console: Limited = TV Black Level setting:Low

So for Deus Ex PS4 HDR from my testing you want Full + High. I'm not sure what other TVs call their settings.

On LG OLEDs the combination language is
Console: Full = TV Black Level setting:High
Console: Limited = TV Black Level setting:Low

So for Deus Ex PS4 HDR from my testing you want Full + High. I'm not sure what other TVs call their settings.

I see. I should've mentioned I have a Samsung as my TV only has Low, Normal, and I guess Auto.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
HDR standards are worked out.. Dynamic Metadata is coming in 2017 . HDR reproduction is fine. The problem is gaming HDR reproduction is baking it in afterwards.. The game needs to be graded for HDR from the Start. Lots of games are just baking it in. FH3 was built with HDR from ground up same with GOW4. However these games are not using REC 2020/DCI P3 the use rec 709. So instead of using 1.07 billion colours to create a WCG they create the much lower REC 709 colors.. This is why HDR movies look so much better much more information is available of the image.. HDR gaming needs to be WCG seriously makes a big difference.
PS4/Pro/One S won't have issues supporting dynamic metadata, right?

III-V

looks correct, as in the HDR shots look outrageously terrible on SDR display.

So they defo have some good implementation. Thats what people don't understand. Your display cannot reproduce these color intensities and brightness levels it just appears oversaturated.

I am considering picking this up just for the novelty of owning the first PS4 game with HDR implementation.

What was the first XBO (and subsequently ever) game with HDR?

PS4/Pro/One S won't have issues supporting dynamic metadata, right?

As long as you are not expecting the DV version of dynamic metadata, I do not see why it can't be implemented on the open platform. HDMI 2.0a and HDCP are satisfied, it should be ok.

WCG on the other hand will be a welcome addition when this becomes more prevalent.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
looks correct, as in the HDR shots look outrageously terrible on SDR display.

So they defo have some good implementation. Thats what people don't understand. Your display cannot reproduce these colors and it just appears oversaturated.

I am considering picking this up just for the novelty of owning the first PS4 game with HDR implementation.

What was the first XBO (and subsequently ever) game with HDR?
NBA 2k17

Pagusas

Elden Member
Sorry, I don't know Samsung's language and it turns out they have the most useless help document on this setting too.

This post suggests for Samsung
Full = Low
Limited = Normal

...but you may have to use one of the calibration images confirm it.

Odd. That's opposite of how my old Samsung was

Full = 0-255 (PC levels)
Limited = 16-235 (standard video levels)

I wish manufacturers would just use the technical language instead of making up setting names.

ss_lemonade

Would an offscreen video help in showing the difference? Or would the HDR side just look oversaturated in comparison?

I've only seen HDR once at the local Best Buy and it did look interestingly different, like more colorful and bloomy, but not in an exaggerated way.

branny

Sorry, I don't know Samsung's language and it turns out they have the most useless help document on this setting too.

This post suggests for Samsung
Full = Low
Limited = Normal

...but you may have to use one of the calibration images confirm it.
Odd. That's opposite of how my old Samsung was

Full = 0-255 (PC levels)
Limited = 16-235 (standard video levels)

I wish manufacturers would just use the technical language instead of making up setting names.
Yeah, that's not right. The Wii U only outputs Limited, and it's matched properly when my Samsung's black level is set to Low. The person giving that advice probably crisscrossed their input and saw an increase in contrast (along with black crush) but mistook it for the correct settings.

It's actually the other way around:

Low = RGB Limited
Normal = RGB Full

As for what to use on PS4, I was having issues with HDR output when set to Limited/Low, so I suggest the Full/Normal combo for now.

III-V

Using an LG B6 OLED TV.

Yes, this is true, but there's more to it...

It's the difference between the light intensities that really impresses. You can have dark, shadowy areas on screen as well as extremely bright areas and it looks quite natural. In DX, a super bright neon sign can be contrasted against a darkened sky in a way that feels more like what your eyes would see. It relies on increased color, sure, but the actual impression isn't just that there are more colors on screen.

It's like walking outside under a bright but cloudy sky - the sky is very intensely illuminated to the point where you might feel the need to squint but if you look around on the ground, things appear less bright. HDR displays are able to capture this type of realism. It's very effective.

Yup, I noticed this as well.

Sounds great, any more impressions?

Would an offscreen video help in showing the difference? Or would the HDR side just look oversaturated in comparison?

I've only seen HDR once at the local Best Buy and it did look interestingly different, like more colorful and bloomy, but not in an exaggerated way.

Right, the HDR will not look right. Yes, it is more natural looking when seen in person.

Some of these comments about HDR = extra vivid mode, just helpless.

branny

Yes, this is true, but there's more to it...

It's the difference between the light intensities that really impresses. You can have dark, shadowy areas on screen as well as extremely bright areas and it looks quite natural. In DX, a super bright neon sign can be contrasted against a darkened sky in a way that feels more like what your eyes would see. It relies on increased color, sure, but the actual impression isn't just that there are more colors on screen.

It's like walking outside under a bright but cloudy sky - the sky is very intensely illuminated to the point where you might feel the need to squint but if you look around on the ground, things appear less bright. HDR displays are able to capture this type of realism. It's very effective.
This is the perfect way to explain it. I noticed that taking photos of HDR on a TV is kinda like snapping photos outside with a sun in your shot, at least in terms of managing exposure. You'd have to take at least two pictures (one focused on the brightest parts of the screen and then another on the darkest areas) to really capture everything you see in person, but even then, you can't increase the colors. :(

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Make sure dynamic contrast is set to high. Changing that and gamma made my forza experience so much better.

Edit: Dee beat me

Yep. Got one for my HU9000. Was like a new television quality-wise and saved me from having to upgrade.

Thanks! I'll look at what my settings are like when I get home. Stuck on the bus at the moment!

Top Bottom