• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gets Console HDR Support

JS8500 reporting in:

HDR seems to be working as intended.

-TV picture mode is on standard
-UHD colour is on
-PS4 RGB is on full
-dynamic constract set to medium
-colour space auto (doesn't make a difference)

Don't think I've changed anything else.

KyleCross

JS8500 reporting in:

HDR seems to be working as intended.

-TV picture mode is on standard
-UHD colour is on
-PS4 RGB is on full
-dynamic constract set to medium
-colour space auto (doesn't make a difference)

Don't think I've changed anything else.
JS8500 here as well. You're on Standard? Why don't you have Game Mode active?

Robot Pants

For those of you having strange looking lighting (black and grey in the middle of the bloom) try turning the brightness IN GAME to 100%

McSpidey

HDR10 doesn't use traditional gamma power functions anymore, and I've noticed the in-game brightness option for HDR tends to be about trying to tell the game what your TVs HDR brightness capability is. Technically HDR TVs should tonemap output to their maximum capability when fed a full brightness signal (and this seems to be the case for LG E6 2016 OLEDs), but that seems that's hit or miss with some TV vendors so I appreciate games having their own settings. If I'm right then this setting is the number one most important thing for HDR to look good since it acts like a clamp.

I'm still not sure exactly what the setting does in Deus Ex however..but it seems to be in this ballpark and I haven't found any downsides to setting it to 100% (even if it's not required) on the LG Oled.

use movie mode .. Put colour to 55 make sure smart led is set to high and colour space set to auto.. That Tv is quantum dot correct? you should not be having horrible PQ perhaps your tv is a dud. Anyways after these setting and hdr video or game is active switch to game mode from within Movie mode by go to general settings and turning Game mode on. Use dynamic contrast high and gamma +2. If still looks like crap to you then it either your Tv(doubtful) or you just don't like or know what to expect with HDR.

all these steps to get HDR to work correctly?

this is just ridiculous

this is just ridiculous

It's like cracking a puzzle game isn't it? It's ridiculous. Spend £1000 on a TV. Then spend 5 days looking at forums on the magic combination of settings to make it work as expected.

Now I read posts about how you "should" manually turn contrast and backlight to 100% when watching HDR content ? Really?

It just gets worse and worse.

Why does the TV not do this when it detects a HDR signal then?

Doesn't even do it in movie mode.

Setting the in game contrast to default is what made me have a normal looking picture without weird gray in the middle of the lighting. Picture looks good now. Not a mind blowing difference to me by any means, but we will see how it goes as I progress through the game.

MCD

this is just ridiculous

With movies, the hdr settings are seperate so it's just a one time and you are set.

In game mode sadly we have to adjust back and forth till Samsung make it seperate.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It's like cracking a puzzle game isn't it? It's ridiculous. Spend £1000 on a TV. Then spend 5 days looking at forums on the magic combination of settings to make it work as expected.

Now I read posts about how you "should" manually turn contrast and backlight to 100% when watching HDR content ? Really?

Isn't this where the different HDR standards come in? I haven't had the chance to try anything on my telly but I did a little reading earlier tonight and saw something mentioned about the two.

From www.techfrag.com
Currently, there are two competing HDR standards: HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Out of the two, HDR10 is the more widely adopted standard being used by TV manufacturers like Sony, LG, Samsung, Sharp and more. It is compatible with every upcoming 4K capable Blu-ray player.

However, Dolby Vision created by Dolby is superior to HDR10 when it comes to technical side of things. It features 12-bit color depth compared to the latter’s 10-bit, as well as cranks out more nits of screen brightness. This better functionality will obviously cost you more.

III-V

Setting the in game contrast to default is what made me have a normal looking picture without weird gray in the middle of the lighting. Picture looks good now. Not a mind blowing difference to me by any means, but we will see how it goes as I progress through the game.

Each TV mnfr. has different ways of accepting/displaying HDR material. Several 2015/2016 sets require the use of specific HDMI inputs, (HDMI 2 or 3 only for Sony X800D for instance). Sony should have HDMI input format set to 'enhanced' and Samsung requires that the input is set to UHD color. I imagine certain TV may require the user to be in a specific TV mode (movie, expert, etc.).

Some TV alert the user to HDR content, others do not. Some people are also getting confused by manually turning HDR 'on' in system settings, this is also incorrect. HDR should not be confused with Vivid mode or anything like this.

You should not need to set one device to limited and another to full, unless your TV is just f'ed.

If we are discussing black level, then low (0) should be full RGB and normal (16) should be limited (it is what TV have been using for 50 years, hence normal).

So in a sense, its not exactly a plug-n-play implementation for HDR, but newer sets are a bit easier in implementation than the earliest sets.

The first step to getting a good picture is to learn how to properly set the brightness and contrast. Then, you are 90% there.

EDIT: and there are no TV out now that can satisfy the DV standard for peak brightness, so its not exactly 'better', it is just more of a long term goal or future proofed standard. There are some big issues with 10,000 nits peak brightness including the the power requirements!.

There are maybe 2 consumer TVs that can display 1000 nits peak brightness, the rest of our HDR TVs get halfway (or a little less) and still look stunning.

So I have a Samsung KS8000 and tried out this game yesterday. I haven't actually played it yet. was just waiting to play it with Pro.

Started the beginning area where you are looking out to the water and the HDR looks...ok I guess? There wasn't much difference to be fair. Colours between the darks and lights seemed more natural I guess but really it just looked like I turned the brightness up?

My settings were game mode(tried movie mode too and this was fine as well) contrast 100, uhd set to on, backlight to 20, colours 50, smart led to high (although this made little difference) and gamma was at 0. The ingame brightness was set to 65 when the logo was barely visible for me.

Drewfonse

So I have a Samsung KS8000 and tried out this game yesterday. I haven't actually played it yet. was just waiting to play it with Pro.

Started the beginning area where you are looking out to the water and the HDR looks...ok I guess? There wasn't much difference to be fair. Colours between the darks and lights seemed more natural I guess but really it just looked like I turned the brightness up?

My settings were game mode(tried movie mode too and this was fine as well) contrast 100, uhd set to on, backlight to 20, colours 50, smart led to high (although this made little difference) and gamma was at 0. The ingame brightness was set to 65 when the logo was barely visible for me.

Me too. I have the Js8500. I noticed in that sequence that the distant birds fluttering around were more easily visible in HDR, as were some of the finer details on the structures in the water. Nothing mind blowing. I must have turned HDR on and off 100 times in the game's menu to compare graphics back and forth, hahaha.

Drewfonse

I never really found the need, does the image quality actually get worse? Doesn't seem to when I activate it so I'll keep it on.

I was worried about that, too. I didnt realize that you can calibrate it within game mode, I thought that game mode had static settings. Once I recalibrated it within game mode, the picture was pretty much identical to movie mode. And the response time was much faster. I've been playing Titanfall and BO3 recently and it makes huge difference in fast paced games.

branny

Yeah, the first area isn't really the best--you only sort of get an idea of how the game looks with HDR when you're inside the helicopter. Later into that mission (and the rest of the game), you'll start seeing the benefits of HDR much more clearly. Like after a pre-rendered scene, the game engine with HDR will kick in, and you'll be like "oh..."

Also, when I was testing different settings, it seems like there's an issue with HDR output when the PS4 is set to RGB Limited (and your TV's HDMI Black Level is on Low/Automatic). The picture looks a little washed out compared to RGB Full (and your TV on Normal).

Once you change to the Full/Normal combo, you'll notice that your brightness slider calibrates around 40-45 now instead of 65-70. It's weird--I really didn't think adjusting that should have an effect on the HDR signal, but it does for some reason. I don't know if it's just that particular TV or the PS4 itself or what.

I mean the immediate benefit I saw was the brightness and contrast, but it looked a lot less washed out than it would be otherwise.

Yeah, the first area isn't really the best--you only sort of get an idea of how the game looks with HDR when you're inside the helicopter. Later into that mission (and the rest of the game), you'll start seeing the benefits of HDR much more clearly. Like after a pre-rendered scene, the game engine with HDR will kick in, and you'll be like "oh..."

Also, when I was testing different settings, it seems like there's an issue with HDR output when the PS4 is set to RGB Limited (and your TV's HDMI Black Level is on Low/Automatic). The picture looks a little washed out compared to RGB Full (and your TV on Normal).

Once you change to the Full/Normal combo, you'll notice that your brightness slider calibrates around 40-45 now instead of 65-70. It's weird--I really didn't think adjusting that should have an effect on the HDR signal, but it does for some reason. I don't know if it's just that particular TV or the PS4 itself or what.

Yeah I've set my ks8000 to normal black level and the PS4 to full rgb today and it looks slightly better and richer in colour.

I know I have HDR properly configured too as sample HDR MP4 clips I play on my Shield look pretty damn good in movie mode (which I used with deus ex as well as game mode) and you can immediately tell it's a HDR video. Like the chess video and Exodus clips look amazing, so it's not my settings.

I guess HDR in games will depend a lot on how good it is implemented. In Deus Ex maybe it's just average? Didn't wow me but it didn't look shit or anything either.

Yeah I've set my ks8000 to normal black level and the PS4 to full rgb today and it looks slightly better and richer in colour.

I know I have HDR properly configured too as sample HDR MP4 clips I play on my Shield look pretty damn good in movie mode (which I used with deus ex as well as game mode) and you can immediately tell it's a HDR video. Like the chess video and Exodus clips look amazing, so it's not my settings.

I guess HDR in games will depend a lot on how good it is implemented. In Deus Ex maybe it's just average? Didn't wow me but it didn't look shit or anything either.

Where can I find that Chess demo everyone talks about!

KyleCross

So I've seen posts over on AVS for some months and now I've seen them here too as well mentioning the need to activate Dynamic Contrast to truly enable HDR (at least on Samsung sets). What's the story with this? When I use Dynamic Contrast it actually destroys detail in the picture. For example; the above Chess demo. The red flag towards the end is simply a single solid red color with DC active, but with it off I can see the waves in the fabric and the other details inside the flag.

I'm leaving DC off unless someone can explain how it isn't simply ruining the picture.

Fbh

Ok so I got it to work on my JS8500.
Changed the HDMI cable and everything worked fine, not sure if the one I was using before was too old.

The differene is... Ok I guess? Colors seem a bit better and bright areas in particular are brighter than they used to be. I know my set isn't super high end but I guess I was expecting a bit more after all the "future of TV" talks regarding HDR.

Funnily enough I tried activating HDR without having UHD color enabled and that seems to result in a much bigger and more obvious change. Not everything looks great (humans for example look oversaturated...almost orange), but some indoors locations looked really nice with this

Elios83

Yes based on my experience with it the HDR implementation in Deus Ex is not particularly brilliant.
You can tell the difference and indeed it can help a lot with details covered by shadows or in the dark scenes but just don't expect a jaw dropping on/off comparison.

Ok so I got it to work on my JS8500.
Changed the HDMI cable and everything worked fine, not sure if the one I was using before was too old.

The differene is... Ok I guess? Colors seem a bit better and bright areas in particular are brighter than they used to be. I know my set isn't super high end but I guess I was expecting a bit more after all the "future of TV" talks regarding HDR.

Funnily enough I tried activating HDR without having UHD color enabled and that seems to result in a much bigger and more obvious change. Not everything looks great (humans for example look oversaturated...almost orange), but some indoors locations looked really nice with this

Ahah I've tried that myself and indeed at first it seemed to make a bigger difference but it's pretty much a bug in the game that does not detect that HDR has been turned off on the TV until you close and relaunch and it still sends the HDR signal to the TV which results in over saturated non HDR pictures.

Fbh

Ok I did some more testing today and found out a few things:

- Kinda obvious right now but the reason the HDR option was greyed out for me is because you need to activate UHD Color on a Samsung Tv BEFORE launching the game. If you have already launched the game and then activate UHD color the option will be greyed out until you close the aplication and restart the game.

- After playing around with the options a bit it seems that the "dynamic contrast option" gets the biggest change when HDR is enabled. If you have it set to mid and specially high the difference between enabling HDR On and Off are pretty clear. But if you set it to low or off there isn't such a big difference. Is there any word on this? Is Dymaic Contrast supposed to be set to high/mid to take full advantage of HDR?

- While in-game the colors look good with HDR. The loading screens look extremely over saturated. Mabye it's because the game is just optimized for HDR in game but loading screens aren't?

branny

I'm leaving DC off unless someone can explain how it isn't simply ruining the picture.
Yeah, I don't like using it, either. It alters everything so much on higher settings that you're not really getting the same image anymore. :\

I noticed that setting it to Low seems fine when watching something like Netflix HDR in lower-lit situations because it can help make letterbox bars a little darker in nighttime scenes. That's about it, so I don't see any reason to use it with games, personally.

I can understand that others might prefer the picture with it on, though. You should do whatever makes you happy lol.

jorgejjvr

Hdr is set to automatic in ps4 and Hdr mode is on my TV but it all looks to dark

I go to the game and I can't raise the Hdr brightness. It's grayed out

I'm doing something wrong?

Elios83

Hdr is set to automatic in ps4 and Hdr mode is on my TV but it all looks to dark

I go to the game and I can't raise the Hdr brightness. It's grayed out

I'm doing something wrong?

You should enable HDR on your HDMI input.
In Samsung TVs the option is HDMI UHD Color.
But you might also want to check your black level settings if you see things too dark, they need to be matched on both the PS4 and your TV.

jorgejjvr

You should enable HDR on your HDMI input.
In Samsung TVs the option is HDMI UHD Color.
But you might also want to check your black level settings if you see things too dark, they need to be matched on both the PS4 and your TV.
Alright I did that, uhd was not on

Is the Hdr line in deus ex not supposed to be able to be invreased? Like stayed grayed out

Elios83

Alright I did that, uhd was not on

Is the Hdr line in deus ex not supposed to be able to be invreased? Like stayed grayed out

The game has just an on/off switch for HDR and the normal brightness slider which I don't think works well when HDR is enabled anyway.

Ok I did some more testing today and found out a few things:

- Kinda obvious right now but the reason the HDR option was greyed out for me is because you need to activate UHD Color on a Samsung Tv BEFORE launching the game. If you have already launched the game and then activate UHD color the option will be greyed out until you close the aplication and restart the game.

- After playing around with the options a bit it seems that the "dynamic contrast option" gets the biggest change when HDR is enabled. If you have it set to mid and specially high the difference between enabling HDR On and Off are pretty clear. But if you set it to low or off there isn't such a big difference. Is there any word on this? Is Dymaic Contrast supposed to be set to high/mid to take full advantage of HDR?

- While in-game the colors look good with HDR. The loading screens look extremely over saturated. Mabye it's because the game is just optimized for HDR in game but loading screens aren't?

It seems to be what most people are saying now in regards to dynamic contrast being set to high, hdr movies look rubbish without it, literally no pop whatsoever.

It seems to be what most people are saying now in regards to dynamic contrast being set to high, hdr movies look rubbish without it, literally no pop whatsoever.

I would guess the reason for this is that hdr increases visible details in the highlights and shadows. So when you up the dynamic contrast setting, SDR will blow out details in those areas while HDR should retain some details. Its why the difference should be more obvious. Although i have only tried it with dynamic contrast off as im not a fan of it seeing as it blows out so many details normally. Will have to try it with it on later.

Any way i tried this game last on my ku6400 (7000 in the US) while in game mode. This model isnt the full hdr 10 but it does say it reads it and will process some but not all of it. I was curious if this would work for games and low and behold it does.

The option to turn it on is there and when i did i got a message saying a hdr video is now playing. The difference is subtle in this game but its there. Colours and lighting just looks a little bit more natural and areas looked a touch less flat.

So as someone who didn't know if his TV would take any advantage of this tech i am pretty pleased to find it does.

XGoldenboyX

Its so wierd,
I tested both HDR on and Off , and when its off Yes colors are poping as intended like any other game. While PS4 RGB is set to Automatic

Now If I turn HDR On in the game it all becomes yes clearer in the shadows and I see details but it also becomes Washed out, loss of color.

Now the only way this can be fixed is by turning on the PS4 RGB to Full.

And to my observation this only makes it look exactly the same as HDR Off and PS4 RGB to Automatic and the loss of detail is the same in shadows ?

So wierd. Why does is become Washed out when its HDR On and why do we need to put the PS4 RGB to Full when I was told that on a Full HD we should have it to Automatic to have the best colors possible and not crush the details in the blacks ?

Have you guys seen these diferences ? OR With HDR On to you its better with RGB to Full or Automatic ?

dr_rus

Ok so RGB Full should be On of Off for 4K TV's ?

Considering that RGB Full is a prime example of an expanded color range it should always be On, especially for HDR. But I'm struggling to think of why this setting would even affect HDR as it's pretty clear that HDR mode should just override it as it is actually a step higher than RGB Full.

XGoldenboyX

Alright thanks. In DX Ive seen a diference but not that major wow if you ask me.

I was senior Lighting artist in this game and this feature was implemented at the end of the games developement. Lighting is more artistic then actual perfect HDR lighting and PBR Materials.

But still the end result can be quite impressive in some areas.

Looking forward to 4k.

Ivan

I really want to know how much additional work there is to add PC support for HDR. It isn't like the hardware doesn't exist. If you're making the console version have HDR, how much more could there be to make it work on PC?

0.3 percent

farisr

So I just got a TV and was trying out the HDR in this (just in the first area as this is a friend's ps4 I have and I want to go through this game on my Pro on the 10th).

All enabling HDR seems to be doing is slightly increasing the brightness and slightly desaturating a few of the colors. Now I've heard the first area isn't great for HDR, is this basically what I'm supposed to be seeing in the first area at least or am I doing something wrong here.

Have a Vizio P series, enabled hdmi color subsampling on the input the ps4 is connected to (not input 5). PS4 settings are set to automatic. Using the HDMI cable that came with the TV.

Using a KS8000, I had to:

1. Set the PS4 RGB Range to "Full"
2. Start the game and enable HDR.
3. Enable game mode in the Samsung picture settings. (Primarily for input lag reduction. ,y game mode settings were set to match my HDR movie mode settings)
4. Set the HDMI black setting to "Normal" on the Sammy (which matches the full range on the PS4)
5. Set the in-game brightness settings to 45

I'm having trouble setting this game's HDR mode up.

TV: LGUH7700

Black level: I configured my HDR mode TV settings based on TLoU (Left Behind to be precise). Black level set to high on TV and PS4 RGB setting is set to Full.

General settings: I configured the non-HDR mode for the PS4/HDMI based on review settings for this TV and my preference for color temp etc.

For HDR mode, I configured the preset mode so that it would basically look the same as the non-HDR mode in terms of color temp, saturation etc.
I think this the correct way as the you should not actually see different colors or whatever when switching a game to HDR mode. With my setup the switch just makes the colors more nuanced and most obvious difference is the HDR itself: Piercing brights e.g. in the sky with deep blacks in the same image. But moving to a bright area won't look too bright and looking at a dark area won't just show black but you can make out the details. That's how our eyes work and is the main point of any HDR implementation.

e.g. for Ratchet&Clank I didn't need to change anything after my initial configuration, it just looked right.

But for Deus Ex, I immediately had to switch the TV black level to low as the image was obviously washed out. I did not change any other settings on the TV or PS4 (see above) and tried to get the picture look right using the ingame brightness setting.
I think the image in outside areas still looks too washed out compared to non-HDR mode but reducing the ingame brightness just gives me weird bloom-ish artifacts on bright surfaces. I have to set the brightness higher than what the text tells you to ("until icon barely visible" etc.) to get rid of that, but I still want to make the image less washed out.

For reference:

non-HDR 0% Brightness:
deusex_mankinddividedovk15.png

non-HDR 25% Brightness (set to icon visibility):
deusex_mankinddividedhojsw.png

non-HDR 100% Brightness:
deusex_mankinddivided8bjw3.png

HDR 0% Brightness:
deusex_mankinddivided1nj11.png

HDR 35% Brightness (set to icon visibility):
deusex_mankinddividedcpjcz.png

HDR 100% Brightness:
deusex_mankinddivided0gj5w.png

In the HDR 0% Brightness image you can see the mentioned artifact in the face.
So the brightness setting in HDR doesn't actually do the same as in non-HDR mode (making it darker/brighter) but is more like a setoff option or something?

Changing the brightness on the TV doesn't give a good result either, not to mention that I simply do NOT want to change my TV settings for each game. Changing the black level already annoys me.

edit: indoors it looks mostly fine so maybe I just don't agree with their outdoor look in HDR.

Top Bottom