• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

TB14

There is a small part of me hoping these DLC are as meaty as Witcher content.. one can dream..

Apparently, it's around 2 hours long. Between that and the breach mode stuff at the end of the trailer I don't guess I'll be picking it up anytime soon.

usp84

https://twitter.com/DeusEx/status/779307567029813248

CtCn4knW8AAdBAI.jpg:small

thanks

it doesn'e seem like it's worth it though

Iceternal

No hype at all for this dlc ...

They really dropped the ball hard on this game ...

The game is a bomb anyway .

If they plan on releasing a third game, they have to go into a radically different direction.

Put some emotion in your damn game for starters . Apart from the bomb attack at the beginning , the game is incredibly flat . Jensen never seems affected by anything.

Don't waste time with your episodic bullshit and Deus ex universe crap and cut to the chase. Next game should tie directly into Deus Ex 1. Then remake DE1 if the third game is successful and go on to another franchise.

Yeah, I managed to finish it in a little under 4 hours, and I think I completed almost everything.

The Breach part isn't actually like Breach (it's more of a tiny series of small puzzle platforming bits plus one neat segment that made me kinda chuckle), and the Blade itself is a nice big tower to infiltrate and snoop around, with lots of alternate routes and whatnot.

The story is kinda fluff (Bank has dark secrets, blah blah), and the mini-hub before you enter the Blade is a nice surprise after Desperate Measures and how soon this comes after the main game, but it obviously can't match the main Prague districts, with a bunch of unopenable doors and obvious buildings and rooms that blatantly exist just for a main story segment (I'm still laughing at how they needed some early combat/stealth areas, so they just plopped down some random armed super anti-aug people in a courtyard who don't seem to have any reason to be there or belong to any named group. I guess the Dvali were too played out by this point?).

Anyway, it was definitely some Deus Ex fun though $12 is a bit steep for what it is.

(Interestingly, you get a final choice at the end of it, right before the final FMV cutscene and credits, which I wonder if they're going to track that for a sequel given that they specifically make it out to be a "this will help the cause" or "this could backfire on us" decision)

(Also also, the dynamic between Pritchard and Jensen is maybe the most genuine in the entire game outside of the
___Eliza__
sidequest, Toufexis is pretty on point expressing the tone for their whole frenemies banter)

(Also also, the dynamic between Pritchard and Jensen is maybe the most genuine in the entire game outside of the
___Eliza__
sidequest, Toufexis is pretty on point expressing the tone for their whole frenemies banter)

It was funny and had nice development in the first game as well. Now if the third game doesn't throw away the only two meaningful relationships Adam is allowed to have, unless they bring Malik back and make it 3.

Yeah, I managed to finish it in a little under 4 hours, and I think I completed almost everything.

The Breach part isn't actually like Breach (it's more of a tiny series of small puzzle platforming bits plus one neat segment that made me kinda chuckle), and the Blade itself is a nice big tower to infiltrate and snoop around, with lots of alternate routes and whatnot.

The story is kinda fluff (Bank has dark secrets, blah blah), and the mini-hub before you enter the Blade is a nice surprise after Desperate Measures and how soon this comes after the main game, but it obviously can't match the main Prague districts, with a bunch of unopenable doors and obvious buildings and rooms that blatantly exist just for a main story segment (I'm still laughing at how they needed some early combat/stealth areas, so they just plopped down some random armed super anti-aug people in a courtyard who don't seem to have any reason to be there or belong to any named group. I guess the Dvali were too played out by this point?).

Anyway, it was definitely some Deus Ex fun though $12 is a bit steep for what it is.

(Interestingly, you get a final choice at the end of it, right before the final FMV cutscene and credits, which I wonder if they're going to track that for a sequel given that they specifically make it out to be a "this will help the cause" or "this could backfire on us" decision)

___Eliza__

I'm still pretty early on in the game. Is it okay to placy this any time during my playthrough or is meant to be done after you finish the story?

I'm still pretty early on in the game. Is it okay to placy this any time during my playthrough or is meant to be done after you finish the story?

It seems to take place at a certain point during the story, though I don't think there are any spoilers outside of a vague allusion from a random NPC spoke to. I think after you come back from Golem City is when it takes place?

It seems to take place at a certain point during the story, though I don't think there are any spoilers outside of a vague allusion from a random NPC spoke to. I think after you come back from Golem City is when it takes place?

Ahh okay glad I asked, I haven't been to Golem City yet so I'll wait until after. Thanks for your help!

Also also, the dynamic between Pritchard and Jensen is maybe the most genuine in the entire game outside of the
___Eliza__
sidequest, Toufexis is pretty on point expressing the tone for their whole frenemies banter

I really want to get the DLC just to see them together again. I really loved their interactions in HR. 12 bucks is a lot for four hours though, and I've got Bioshock Infinite and RE4 to beat.

Ristifer

It really bothers me how underdeveloped the characters and their relationships are in Mankind Divided. Good game overall, but I didn't care about most of the new characters or the "stories" behind each one of them.

I think I learned more about
Montag (the detective in the Harvester side mission)
than anyone else in the entire game.

Iceternal

It really bothers me how underdeveloped the characters and their relationships are in Mankind Divided. Good game overall, but I didn't care about most of the new characters or the "stories" behind each one of them.

Yes... It contributes to the lack of emotional investment the player gets into the story .

SJRB

Gold Member

This, and Jensen seemingly not giving a fuck about pretty much anything that's happening.

pa22word

Like I've played the shit out of MD, but please do ask me the names of the side characters in this game. Um, shady but misunderstood australian bossman? Prickass ops manager dude? Doe eyed psychologist lady? Quirky computer guy? Quirky lab tech guy? Shooting range girl with same face as a few rando npcs? I can't remember any of their names, not one of them. All of them probably get 10 mins screentime each, other than maybe the bossguy. They all feel like cardboard cutouts propped up by tropes picked out of the random document jump feature on TVtropes.

I mean I know a lot of people dislike Mass Effect 2 around here for mechanical reasons, but it serves as a great example of how you do a game with a very minimal plot. Strong questing, strong characters, and strong worldbuilding. This game does the questing and the level design aspect of that, but misses wide on the characters and world itself as a believable place.

So how's the DLC? Any impressions from those who are in the middle or who've already finished?

It's more deus ex, but with some quirks tossed in to trick you up a bit. Nothing really mindblowing, but it's fun.

Tacitus_

So how's the DLC? Any impressions from those who are in the middle or who've already finished?

Take the bank level from the main game but make it bigger. Soooo many alternative paths, computers to hack. and guards to evade. I clocked in 3,5 hours.
All in all, it could've been a bit cheaper, but I feel I still got pretty good worth for my money.

DukeBobby

Finished the DLC. I think it took me about 3 and a half hours.

It was decent. If more Deus Ex is what you're after, then this should satisfy you. You get a little hub area to explore, and the Palisade Blade is a good size with plenty of nooks and crannies to explore. Oh, and the breach section is about 5 minutes long, so don't worry about that.

I'd say it's just about worth the money. However, if you're not desperate for more content, I'd wait for a price drop.

I'm still playing the base game. Can someone tell me how far I am?

Just finished the part where I confronted Allison, the bomb maker. I was able to end the conversation peacefully and she was arrested.

I'm still playing the base game. Can someone tell me how far I am?

Just finished the part where I confronted Allison, the bomb maker. I was able to end the conversation peacefully and she was arrested.

id say a little more than half way thru but it really depends on what side missions you completed and if you will complete the new side missions coming up and your play style (whether your more stealthy or not)

with that said just beat the game
got the "good ending i think because i was able to do "both" choices both times by using icarus glitch tho i know you can get the good ending. by just doing both choices the last time. with that said.... that Mid credits scene doe!!!!! I KNEW something was up with that psychiatrist! i should have hacked her computer earlier with a multi tool but i didnt know i wouldnt be able to hack it again later. gonna def hack her in new game+. Man I cant wait for the next deus ex!

Levyne

Banned
Is there a way to disable the gas for the side mission involving the guys wife?

Yes.
Look to the left when facing the door.

I enjoyed the DLC, I guess. But it wasn't worth 12 dollars. The hub felt kinda pointless (you seem like you are pretty much required to go everywhere for the story anyway). I don't like how the Deus ex dlc is so divorced from the main game.

The writing seemed really poor too. Like some fan group was asked to make a "Deus Ex" mission. But I guess they needed something that was largely inconsequential since it took place in middle of the main game.

The bank was fun though. But it really is just more of the same.

If the DLC isn't integral, I think I will save my money. I played the DLC for Human Revolution, but that was a much better game.

I was hoping for something great with Mankind Divided, and honestly kind of expected it given the last game, but it was a letdown. Not a bad game, but nothing to write home about either.

I don't feel like spending more money on it, especially $30 for DLC. (I assume it's more in Canada and 2 DLC packs at $12 is $24 anyways.)

I've been wanting to free up some space, so maybe I'll delete this thing.

CHC

Yeah the whole plot and sense of pacing is just VERY off. Even things like the amount of actual dialogue with certain characters. People like Macready are supposed to be kind of central, but then (perfect example you gave) you get like 10x more dialogue with some random detective in an optional side mission. And there is just so much empty talking in the game too - people taking too long to tell you too little. They desperately needed someone to come and "punch up" the script to be able to do more with less in terms of moving the plot along and cleanly defining the characters.

Played right up until the end and the only reason I kept going was to explore and see new places. The plot did absolutely nothing to get me (or keep me) invested, personally.

The writing in Human Revolution wasn't great but it got the job done. Here it's just really poor. Which is a shame because the game does SO much else right. Even just something simple like a Dishonored style plot would be better - an archetypical conspiracy and revenge story that stays out of the way of the action and exploration.

Mesharey

Bought the DLC.. then remembered that I have a European version.. oh well the first time it happened since PS3, the $50 was a gift.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
After some time away, finally beat it. I think they did a much better job on the gameplay front this time. Energy was still limited, but it was plentiful enough that you could use powers frequently. I never understood how scarce (and expensive) items to recover energy were in the first game (especially for nonlethal takedowns). Seemed to miss the point of having augments in the first place. Definitely enjoyed augs and gameplay more this time around.

They also did a good job of accommodating multiple choices without punishing you for not choosing "their" way. Felt very open and flexible.

Story is kind of a dog, though. I guess it's just that sagging middle phenomenon most trilogies have.

Environments have great details that make the setting believable. Solid presentation.

Failed to save Miller
Accomplished both goals at the end
Only killed mooks in one area where I was just kind of fed up
Used the killswitch in the final fight

8/10 would buy again

mbpm1

DLC was okay. Just a bigger bank though, with less interesting design. Probably won't get any more if they're all the same amount of content for 12 though

Braag

Finally finished it today. I had a lot of fun with the game but man that ending was underwhelming.
I hope we get a third game to wrap up the story of Adam.

Bishop89

is anyone having problems with breach mode?

I just started it, and twice now its kind of frozen whereby I get a new reward node and then I cant do anything else, just sits there. I have to restart the game.

SlickVic

Finally finished up the game today. Was pleasantly surprised to see the Pacifist trophy pop, as I couldn't remember if I accidentally killed anyone through the course of the game.

Thoroughly enjoyed it overall. I played both this and Human Revolution as almost pure stealth, but for whatever reason the gameplay felt a lot better in Mankind Divided. Not sure why as on the surface it didn't feel like it's dramatically changed, but for whatever reason I found to be a lot more fun and satisfying in this game. I wound up never finishing HR because I eventually got burned out on it, but never got close to feeling that here. Couldn't get enough of hacking doors and reading emails. And Palisade Bank was a pretty awesome heist.

As far as the main narrative, I definitely can see the complaints of it being underwhelming. Without delving too much into spoilers, it does feel like a game that ends with far more questions than meaningful answers. However, I was ok with it since it does make me curious to see where they go with all this in the next game. Writing wise, I do think the side missions were the bigger highlight of the game for me, and again trying to avoid spoilers, it does make me wish the main story leaned a bit harder into some of the stronger cyber punk themes presented in a certain side mission.

I did like Prague a lot, and it did feel very believable as a very-near-future city dealing with the aug prejudices. The concept of it may not be as interesting as Hengsha from HR (I loved the idea of a city getting too big for itself so someone decided to build another city right on top of it) but I still enjoyed exploring it. Like others have said, I do wish there was at least one more hub in the game of comparable size to Prague. I find their cyber punk world quite interesting and I'd love to see their interpretation of what other cities would look like in this Deus Ex world.

Definifely going to be one of my top games of the year. Hopefully the next game won't take another 5 years to come out. Swore I heard a rumor that the next game had already started production last year while they were finishing up MD, but not sure if that's accurate. Would love to see them tease some info next E3.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Umm, I feel stupid. How the hell are you supposed to tackle these heat sensors in System Rift?

mbpm1

Umm, I feel stupid. How the hell are you supposed to tackle these heat sensors in System Rift?

There are areas glowing with heat that are red on the floor and also barrels(?) that are glowing hot.

I think those are the areas you want to be behind.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
There are areas glowing with heat that are red on the floor and also barrels(?) that are glowing hot.

I think those are the areas you want to be behind.
Ah. Duh. That makes sense, thanks.

Like I've played the shit out of MD, but please do ask me the names of the side characters in this game. Um, shady but misunderstood australian bossman? Prickass ops manager dude? Doe eyed psychologist lady? Quirky computer guy? Quirky lab tech guy? Shooting range girl with same face as a few rando npcs? I can't remember any of their names, not one of them. All of them probably get 10 mins screentime each, other than maybe the bossguy. They all feel like cardboard cutouts propped up by tropes picked out of the random document jump feature on TVtropes.

yeah, and all of them seem miserable or just assholes. There are no likeable characters :p Why they couldn't bring Malik back to be the pilot and have a familiar face that was atleast friendly is beyond me...

I still liked the game though and hope we get some more actual answers to the story in the next game.

Acinixys

Playthrough 1: 40 hours of stealth and side missions

Playthrough 2: NG+ with all augs and weapons available. Skipped every side quest and all the dialog. Took me 4.5 hours to finish the game this way

I even took a few minutes to kill all the cops and civilians in Praug and there are ZERO consequences for being a mass murder in this game. Very disappointing. All the cops and people just re-spawn after you go to a new area

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Does anyone else have problems with the game quitting when in stand by mode on consoles or even if you leave the game for a few minutes to use another app?

I'm on M10
where the drones come in and cut off the meeting with Janus. No matter what I do they seem to get triggered and go into search mode once I drop down into the sewers. I googled a bit and it seems like this is unavoidable. I suppose this is because the drones are spotting and attacking the civilian NPCs down there. My question is does this count as an alarm against you and do the civilian deaths count as kills against you? Should I just ignore them and press on or should I try to escape through the front to avoid all that?

Top Bottom