• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

nOoblet16

In my measurements above the average difference is ~9% between "very high" and "medium" -- higher if you also count contact hardening. I'd say that's pretty significant for a single setting.

It is there's also the matter of shadow LOD, so while the quality difference may not be as high as you want you'd get harsher and more noticeable cascades.

fantomena

I have an overclocked 1080 and 5820k and I've been playing it at 1440p with everything maxed except MSAA off, volumetric lighting set to "on", and contact shadows off. I'm also using borderless windowed mode because exclusive full screen caused bad stuttering.

With those setting I've yet to see the game drop under 60 fps.

Thx, sounds good. I guess I will get a small FPS boost since I will play in 1080p.

Kinda fixed my loading times and crashes (I think)

- Verified files in Steam
- Stopped using continue, instead load manually (gives different loading screen too)
- Disabled all DLC

Loads in less than 20 seconds now. Using Continue still gives me 1+ minute load times and crashes.

Is anyone else getting huge framerate drops in the area coming out of Monument Station and heading right? I go from 70s/80s just about anywhere else in Prague to dipping down into the 30s walking in that area.

Also huge hitching issues in Golem City. Afterburner says it's using less than 7GB of RAM buuuut...

Everything maxed except for Shadows (High) and AO (On) at 1080p.

Specs:
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Memory: 8GB 3000hz DDR4 RAM
GPU: GTX 1070

Durante

Is anyone else getting huge framerate drops in the area coming out of Monument Station and heading right? I go from 70s/80s just about anywhere else in Prague to dipping down into the 30s walking in that area.
I was just there exactly. I'm playing V-sync'd, I think it dropped a single frame when running from the station through that street (read 58.9 instead of 59.9 for a split second).
(Of course, I'm running a 6 core CPU and 32 GB of memory)

Fledz

- Stopped using continue, instead load manually (gives different loading screen too)
- Disabled all DLC

Loads in less than 20 seconds now. Using Continue still gives me 1+ minute load times and crashes.

Interesting. How do you disable DLC, just untick them in Steam?

Going to try this now, as well as manual load over continue.

dr_rus

Hold up, are we talking 100% Ultra with MSAA 8x enabled at 1440p+ resolutions? Because I'm running near maxed out settings at 1440p with Ultra textures, and my 16 GB of RAM isn't peaking above 10 GB, and I only have a 250 MB pagefile (for crashdumps).

Then again, my RAM usage at idle on the desktop is only 1.4-1.8 GB.

No MSAA, just Ultra preset with 2560x1600 res (although I don't think that the res or MSAA affect the RAM consumption - at least it shouldn't). If you don't have anything running in the background you will probably be fine on a 16GB machine but if you like to have some browser open with several tabs - there can be issues I think. Not fatal issues of course but some slowdowns and hitches.

- Disabled all DLC

How much RAM do you have? Reloading is very fast for me, initial loadings are kinda slow but acceptable (i.e. less than 30 seconds I believe). I'm running off a 7200rpm HDD.

Iceternal

What a shit port. It's my opinion and you might disagree but :

- absurdly demanding settings for little image quality value, DOOM looks much better and runs like a dream

- I am fucked because I only have 8gb RAM ... so if I want to buy the pc version, I also have to spend 100€ for 16GB of RAM ?! Yeah right ...

- Settings just don't work ?! Shadows are messed up if you go higher than high ..

- Very bad AO

I might as well just buy the PS4 version at this rate...

Even though I have a 980 ti , and a 4790K ... ridiculous.

Durante

- absurdly demanding settings for little image quality value, DOOM looks much better and runs like a dream
Most of the settings have a significant image quality value. In any case, even if they did not, having an option is never a negative. No one forces you to use it.

- I am fucked because I only have 8gb RAM ...
You are not "fucked", you just can't run the game at maximum settings.

so if I want to buy the pc version, I also have to spend 100€ for 16GB of RAM ?! Yeah right ...
As per the above, no you don't. Also, 16 GB of memory are ~60€ right now.

- Settings just don't work ?! Shadows are messed up if you go higher than high ..
One of the settings does not work ideally in a few situations.

- Very bad AO
It's not "very bad". More like average.

Right. The version which runs at 30 FPS (with some drops), and still at lower settings than what you could achieve on your system at higher framerates. With the "worst" version of the "bad" AO. And terrible sharpening that you can't turn off. Whatever, go ahead.

Iceternal

Most of the settings have a significant image quality value. In any case, even if they did not, having an option is never a negative. No one forces you to use it.

You are not "fucked", you just can't run the game at maximum settings.

As per the above, no you don't. Also, 16 GB of memory are ~60€ right now.

One of the settings does not work ideally in a few situations.

It's not "very bad". More like average.

Right. The version which runs at 30 FPS (with some drops), and still at lower settings than what you could achieve on your system at higher framerates. With the "worst" version of the "bad" AO. And terrible sharpening. Whatever, go ahead.

Game is apparently prone to crash with 8gb of RAM so yes I consider it obligatory to buy more RAM.

What a shit port. It's my opinion and you might disagree but :

- I am fucked because I only have 8gb RAM ... so if I want to buy the pc version, I also have to spend 100€ for 16GB of RAM ?! Yeah right ...

- Very bad AO

Even though I have a 980 ti , and a 4790K ... ridiculous.

While DOOM "runs better" (having some of the best engineers in the team might help), saying that it looks much better than Mankind Divided is hyperbolic as hell. id's engineers are not stupid, they made a game and levels that will need as few things going on as possible, and they optimize the game having that in mind. It is part of the explanation why DOOM runs so well.
Mankind Divided is something else, being a semi-openworld with events happening in it, many way to deal with a situation (more complex level-design might means more geometry to render for example, even if it should not be a primary issue), many IAs to deal with...

And while I absolutely love DOOM, especially its presentation as a whole when in motion, it would be again more than hyperbolic to state that DOOM is out of reach for Mankind Divided. I prefer the lighting, shading and environnements complexity of Mankind Divided, and I prefer DOOM's most post processing effects (motion blur, bokeh DoF, TSSAA, even if the one in Mankind Divided is pretty great too and provide a great overall IQ). The two games are top notch technically speaking, why opposing them like that in the first place ?

Mankind Divided is not in a perfect state, hence the problems with shadows rendering in the distance if CHS is activated, the not greatly tweaked "Very High" option for AO and its artifacts in the distance...

It is not perfect, yes, but does it deserve to be bashed like that ? Definitely not.

(PS : You might have problems with your RAM quantity only when pushing the settings close to the max. I suggest you to tune down the LoD setting. Anyway, the game asked for 16Go of RAM for max setting, so it is not like you should be surprised in the first place)

warheat

WHTW isn't faster. Look for more benchmarks. Some examples:
http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/1209/bench/Warhammer_01.png
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2016/07/29/msi-geforce-gtx-1060-gaming-x-review/7
There's also zero reason to use AMD's badly coded DX12 path for NV h/w so you should compare NV DX11 to AMD DX12 and in this case 1060 will basically always win there. Which is the reason why AMD keep pushing the release of DX12 renderer there further and further hoping that they'll be able to reach NV's DX11 performance some day.

That review from bit-tech is actually a MSI Gaming X version against reference RX 480 and I find it hard to believe in that techspot review that the GTX 970 beating both R9 390 and RX 480 in Mirror's Edge Catalyst at hyper settings. The GTX 970 defaulted to the Ultra setting instead due to its memory limit, silently decreasing image quality, appearing to have superior performance. The "GPU Memory Restriction" should be left unchecked for accurate results.

Look at this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5ZCJah-FY

bathsalts

Was getting big drops in the 2nd part of the hub area, 70's and then random stutter down to the 20's, long wait to bring up the menu/map etc. Clearing space on my ssd fixed it, only had ~20 gigs free on a 250, freeing up another 25 fixed everything for me.

Having a weird issue - using headphones, if i'm looking directly at someone, the audio is muffled, like it's meant for a centre channel. If I turn my head, their voice comes in fine. I have my PC set for stereo...any help?

jorimt

No MSAA, just Ultra preset with 2560x1600 res (although I don't think that the res or MSAA affect the RAM consumption - at least it shouldn't). If you don't have anything running in the background you will probably be fine on a 16GB machine but if you like to have some browser open with several tabs - there can be issues I think. Not fatal issues of course but some slowdowns and hitches.

Well, in certain circumstances, if you have a GPU with low VRAM, it can dip into your system RAM, and then, finally, the pagefile. This can cause stuttering. And I didn't even know running browsers (or anything) in the background while playing a demanding game was a thing. Sure, if you have a second monitor, you may want to multitask, but come on people, what you do you expect? Of course it's going to have a detrimental performance impact :p I've got multiple tabs open on Firefox at the moment, and I'm using close to 400 MB of RAM on that alone (and that's without any flash content/videos going).

Anyway, I just looked at my Afterburner RAM readout after my recent play session (with no other programs running in the background), and I peaked at 10250 MB. Sustained average looked to be about 9 GB.

Iceternal

While DOOM "runs better" (having some of the best engineers in the team might help), saying that it looks much better than Mankind Divided is hyperbolic as hell. id's engineers are not stupid, they made a game and levels that will need as few things going on as possible, and they optimize the game having that in mind. It is part of the explanation why DOOM runs so well.
Mankind Divided is something else, being a semi-openworld with events happening in it, many way to deal with a situation (more complex level-design might means more geometry to render for example, even if it should not be a primary issue), many IAs to deal with...

And while I absolutely love DOOM, especially its presentation as a whole when in motion, it would be again more than hyperbolic to state that DOOM is out of reach for Mankind Divided. I prefer the lighting, shading and environnements complexity of Mankind Divided, and I prefer DOOM's most post processing effects (motion blur, bokeh DoF, TSSAA, even if the one in Mankind Divided is pretty great too and provide a great overall IQ). The two games are top notch technically speaking, why opposing them like that in the first place ?

Mankind Divided is not in a perfect state, hence the problems with shadows rendering in the distance if CHS is activated, the not greatly tweaked "Very High" option for AO and its artifacts in the distance...

It is not perfect, yes, but does it deserve to be bashed like that ? Definitely not.

(PS : You might have problems with your RAM quantity only when pushing the settings close to the max. I suggest you to tune down the LoD setting. Anyway, the game asked for 16Go of RAM for max setting, so it is not like you should be surprised in the first place)

But I SEE nothing justifying the amount of RAM. So to me, this is bad optimization or a bad engine. Compare this to the draw distance of Blood and Wine for example.

jorimt

Any fix for the blurring faces on npcs?

Edit: Ah, seems to have been the tessellation.

i think the taa aa causes that.

No it's Subscattering that causes the blurry faces, tesselation makes the bricks look 3d

Interesting, I'll have to try disabling tessellation. I thought I did, but I'll try again. I already tried disabling subsurface, did nothing.

And no, TAA doesn't cause the face smearing issue; happens with TAA on or off.

Durante

I haven't really noticed that issue, but subsurface scattering seems most likely based on the description. It might well have a temporal accumulation component. If it's not that and not TAA then that's strange.

What sort of settings can I play this on? 1080p/30fps???

i7-6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Titan X Pascal SLI
64GB DDR4 RAM
1TB SSD
Windows 7 Home 32 bit

Thanks.

mCKosfA.gif

Normally I'd go with MasterBait.jpg, but I love this GIF.

jorimt

just hopping in but whats the consensus of a 980ti + 6700k @ 1440p?

i7-4770k/980 Ti here, 60 fps 90-95% of the time @1440p if you set it like this (sans motion blur, chromatic aberration, sharpen, etc, as they are a preference):

67fa9b8b317b821bc59156708f0dacad.png

You currently aren't missing anything with Very High Shadow Quality, Very High AO, or Contact Hardening Shadows at the moment; they're bugged.

Volumetric Lighting Ultra has better filtering over "On," but has about a 10 fps performance impact for it in affected scenes.

SimplexPL

I was a bit disappointed with the cloth flailing on the wind in the prologue. I put a box on top of the cloth. Guess what happened? It keep flailing through the box, as if the box was not a physical object but a hologram. So this is really just a canned animation, not a real physic interaction with the world. Pity.

According to DF, consoles version are running on settings approximate to PC's high. Pity you cant turn off the (uber)sharpening filter.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Is anyone else getting a lot of out of memory crashes? I've been getting one pretty much every hour or less of gameplay, especially if I'm moving between areas a lot.

I have 8 gigs of ram and Task Manager usually doesn't show the game using more than 3. I don't know what's going on.

Piggus

Thx, sounds good. I guess I will get a small FPS boost since I will play in 1080p.

I have a 1080p monitor as well. The post-process AA method the use does a good job of cleaning up the image, but I still suggest using Nvidia DSR to downsample and improve IQ.

knerl

Anyone?
Really curious if 6700K users are not with their CPU maxed out.

@Durante: Which CPU do you have? 5920K? How's your usage?

Without hyperthreading my cores sits at about 70% usage across all cores at larger areas.
Which is a good thing? Means there's room to spare.

SimplexPL

I found a nice quote in the comments on Rock Paper Shotgun:
"I started enjoying PC games more after I learned to start on medium/high settings and turn things up if there was room to, instead of starting on ultra and turning things down. "

jorimt

Any fix for the blurring faces on npcs?

Edit: Ah, seems to have been the tessellation.

I haven't really noticed that issue, but subsurface scattering seems most likely based on the description. It might well have a temporal accumulation component. If it's not that and not TAA then that's strange.

Arrgg, @Sykotik is 100% correct, disabling tessellation does resolve the smearing face issue. I never tried that setting, because I never thought a setting like that would affect it.

If you or anyone wants to test this themselves, the worst offender of the issue I've seen is this guy near the lobby in the Palisade Bank:

What is up with the settings conflicts in this game?

SimplexPL

To get better shadows, disable Contact Hardening Shadows and set shadows to high instead of very high.
To get prevent oversharpening, disable sharpening.
To get better AO, set to On instead of Very High
To get playable performance, disable MSAA.
To prevent blurring on faces, disable tesselation.

What next? ;)

And no, TAA doesn't cause the face smearing issue; happens with TAA on or off.

TAA was definitely causing artifacts issues at
the first encounter with Marchenko
. It was quite "funny" since only his face was having problems, the rest of the scene such as Jensen and others NPC were fine. Don't know what could be the cause.

Really curious if 6700K users are not with their CPU maxed out.

Some of my cores got to 45/50% maximum maybe, and only on certains cores such as the first one that seems to be, as usual, under the heaviest load. Definitely not 100%.

But I SEE nothing justifying the amount of RAM. So to me, this is bad optimization or a bad engine. Compare this to the draw distance of Blood and Wine for example.

We can't know for sure what is going on behind the scenes unless we have a look at the engine itself. And it will not happen. Comparing two games' RAM consumption solely on their technical achievements is somehow far-fetched. Having less important draw distances is not necessarily equal to less RAM usage (FYI, Blood&Wine uses nearly as much RAM as Mankind Divided for me...).
And for what I remember, The Witcher 3 is not exactly a loading time champion (HDD here hehe) and while reloading time after death are not that long, they are definitely longer than in Mankind Divided that 3-4 seconds long on my side.

Buburibon

To get better shadows, disable Contact Hardening Shadows and set shadows to high instead of high.
To get prevent oversharpening, disable sharpening.
To get better AO, set to On instead of Very High
To get playable performance, disable MSAA.
To prevent blurring on faces, disable tesselation.

What next? ;)

Sounds about right. I'm personally just going to play something else until most of these issues have been addressed.

Bizzquik

I found a nice quote in the comments on Rock Paper Shotgun:
"I started enjoying PC games more after I learned to start on medium/high settings and turn things up if there was room to, instead of starting on ultra and turning things down. "

This is why I wish Nvidia's GeForce Experience would get Mankind Divided in its game optimizations sooner rather than later.
I always let it optimize my games for me - and then turn down the optimization scale from "10" to '8" to enjoy a locked 60fps.

Top Bottom