• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex Universe Hair Rendering Slides/Images

MartyStu

If AJ returns, I really hope this is all after DE1.

I think it would be really interesting to play as a mechanical aug in the nano world.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If AJ returns, I really hope this is all after DE1.

Going by what they've said so far, it'll be set post-HR pre-DE1, society having passed over the mechanical augmentation renascence fad to the point where mechanical augs are frowned upon. I'm guessing it'll focus on the dawn of nano augs, the Gray Death, and hopefully the kaboomy of the Statue of Liberty.

Replicant

Yes, I love AJ. I can identify with his loneliness, his tenacity to keep looking, and the fact that he's absolutely awesome.

spanks

I still hate how he has sunglasses built onto his face. So cheesy. Why not just give him some tinted contacts or straight-up modify his eyes?

Anyway, I hope the art style is closer to Deus Ex 1; HR felt a bit too clean to me, and the flamboyant fashion didn't really gel with the atmosphere they were going for. Not that HR wasn't an excellent start for a new studio.

I'm really hoping we'll see an announcement trailer at E3 and the game not that far off. It's been so long since HR. Can't wait to see what they can do with a proper engine. Personally I digged the HR aesthetic, but the engine made it a bit janky.

Ezalc

I still hate how he has sunglasses built onto his face. So cheesy. Why not just give him some tinted contacts or straight-up modify his eyes?

Anyway, I hope the art style is closer to Deus Ex 1; HR felt a bit too clean to me, and the flamboyant fashion didn't really gel with the atmosphere they were going for. Not that HR wasn't an excellent start for a new studio.

I looked at that as a callback to Molly Millions.

Everything is too clean these days, the 80s and 90s had a certain vibe which I miss these days. Hell's Kitchen in the first game manages to have a lot of atmosphere despite the dated graphics.

I think the perfect example of that dark murky vibe in another medium would be Se7en.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Square Enix spend 90% of their development budget on hair.

Lime

I was at the talk. They explicitly said that none of the characters used in the presentation would necessarily be in the next Deus Ex. This was just their way of showing off the tech without revealing anything about the actual game.

Thank god.

I'm done with scruffy white dudes with troubled pasts. Don't get me wrong, Jensen's design was all right in HR, but giving the dude yet another game in a general game environment where we are overwhelmed by scruffy white dudes with troubled pasts is just not that interesting. If they made him old or did something radical with his character, I'd feel different, but I don't expect that from a AAA production.

KainXVIII

Not bad at all, remembered how ugly was Jensen's hair in HR.

Just WOW
070F696A58762AA7CD49867059C44E46B6EBFE2D

Pooya

v1.0 still tanks the performance a lot, I imagine this is supposed to be faster than the one in Tomb Raider?

HariKari

All this hoping for characters returning. I hope whoever made the musical score for the first comes back more then any character. That shit was on point, best musical score of the year IMO. Should have gotten way more credit then it did.

Edit: It's Michael McCann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyG6YMLEWus

Absolutely. Makes my all-time soundtracks list. The game leans heavily on atmosphere and his score was key.

If they don't reuse AJ, I'd like to see a game with Michael Zelazny as the front man. You could miss his entire story if you just shot him first without asking any questions. Part of the Deus Ex magic IMO and they handled that whole aspect well.

Zelazny explains that they were outfitted with experimental mechanical augmentations by Belltower, and had implanted with a neural hub that could manipulate memory centers in the brain, effectively controlling what they could and could not remember. After a couple of operations, Zelazny started to experience memory shifts, remembering bits and fragments of past missions, slowly realizing that they could not have been logically orchestrated by the government.

Eventually he found out that he and his peers were used by the corrupt officials in the American and Chinese governments. He confronted the project director, and had him disconnect Zelazny's and his colleagues' hubs. Going through the director's contacts, Zelazny found the list of the corrupt people that used him and his men, then proceeded to hunt them down, seeing it as justice.

I'm really hoping Jensen is the protag for the new game and I'm really, really, really, hoping Michael McCann returns for the score. Human Revolution has my favourite soundtrack in a game of all time. The immersion it made for the game was spot on.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Michael McCan, better return. He elevated the game a lot.

I need this game in my life.

Hopefully both Jensen and Sarif come back, VAs included. So long as the VA for Sarif hasn't totally gone off the deep end, anyway.

Edit - Francis too.

I remember something of him doing conspiracy videos, and that he was a bit crazy, but was it really that serious?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I certainly hope the ending is not button pressing multiple choice, where your choices didn't matter in the end. And that the boss battles are like the Director's Cut.

EDIT: Also, an actual closure to his relationship with Megan Reed.

The pre-rendered scenes were so poorly compressed. :|

I can't wait until games use in-game assets, because they're that good.

The Order and Uncharted are doing this, and it's awesome.

I certainly hope the ending is not button pressing multiple choice, where your choices didn't matter in the end. And that the boss battles are like the Director's Cut.
Yeah, I wasn't in love with the story but the ending completely killed it for me.
I can't wait until games use in-game assets, because they're that good.

The Order and Uncharted are doing this, and it's awesome.
Part of it from my understanding is due to the production pipeline and how cutscenes are handled.

The ending was silly. But the worst was the takedown animations. I duno I just prefer taking people down without all this nonsense flash and flare.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, I wasn't in love with the story but the ending completely killed it for me.

The commentary for the final stage is really interesting, as they had much bigger ideas for how it would all play out and your interaction with the various groups, none of which they were able to accomplish in time. They also noted that the post switch pressing cinematics weren't supposed to be taken as literal canon, but more exploring the ideas and philosophy behind the choice you made (not that it makes them good, but yeah).

I can exclusively reveal that the next Deus Ex game will shed more light on the flexible electronic old men and the mythical city in the hills.

Don't believe me? It's all in the numbers...

AU Tiger

Hair looks great but I can't help but feel that we'll only get a half assed implementation of it because neither of the new consoles can render it on everyone. (it would look dumb if it were only on the main protagonist and the npc's all get terrible hair)

Hope I'm wrong though. Video game hair has looked awful for a really long time.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Fuck yes.

Really can't wait for his. Was worried when they called it "Universe" that it would have unessicary multiplayer or f2p focus, glad that is seemingly not the case.

My mouth waters at the thought of a current gen only Deus Ex.

Thank god.

I'm done with scruffy white dudes with troubled pasts. Don't get me wrong, Jensen's design was all right in HR, but giving the dude yet another game in a general game environment where we are overwhelmed by scruffy white dudes with troubled pasts is just not that interesting. If they made him old or did something radical with his character, I'd feel different, but I don't expect that from a AAA production.

Put the Gazelle from Kingsman in the next game.

sofia-boutella-kingsman.jpg

Top Bottom