• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers really need to start having DS4 support on their PC games

Yudoken

I think so. This option only changes the button prompts on the screen. Playing The Phantom Pain with the XBOX prompts while using the DS4 was a bit annoying.

Ok, that's how it should be.
But honestly why it's annoying?
In past few months I've helped friends upgrading their pc (basically installing a fresh w8.1, installing cheap capable gpu and installing SPC driver with a Bluetooth stick to support their DS3/DS4) instead getting a PS4 and after a few hours of Rocket League (or other games) they completely understand every button prompt.
The only reason to need PS button prompts are of course it looks nicer and for absolute new beginners.

Project M 3.6 was the only game (beside Gamecube/Wii emulation) where I try to change the buttons with Playstation ones because that actually can confuse people (try to let a new player get out of the game in Smash with a non Nintendo controller) but that's a minor thing and there is a fix for it.

We should unite and ask devs to implement a switch for implementing DS4 button prompts!
That should be easy to do.

A 360 pad, DS3 and DS4 are basically the most used pc pads.

Bio

I don't really care about native support, DS4Windows fixes everything in that regard, but god damn I wish every game had the option for dualshock button prompts

wbEMX

Ok, that's how it should be.
But honestly why it's annoying?

I bought the PS4 right about when TPP came out, so it was my first time using another pad on the PC. I got the hang of it by now and I'm almost always using it for PC gaming. But yeah, PS button prompts would certianly look nicer.

Arklite

The only reason to need PS button prompts are of course it looks nicer and for absolute new beginners.

This is mostly true, unless you're playing a game with frequent quick time events. I often play RE4/5/6 on PC, and a quick flash of the 'X' button can be confusing. Your hands obviously feel a Dualshock and instinctively hit 'A' when it asks for 'X'.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really care about native support, DS4Windows fixes everything in that regard, but god damn I wish every game had the option for dualshock button prompts

God yes! It's such a rare treat when a game has this.

Ploid 3.0

I'm so used to the buttons being xbox while playing with Dualshock. When someone else plays a game on my PC I forget the controller has Square, triangle, circle, and X for a moment as they sit there confused.

B, press B, oh I mean Circle. X is square, Y is Triangle, etc etc.

This is all that is needed. PC is a open platform, it's easy to get the controllers working on it, at least provide the buttons.

laxu

Absolutely. Considering the icon graphics are usually available for multiplatform games, just adding an option to toggle which icons to use would be all that is needed.

That said, what I really want is native support for the Steam Controller. It works perfectly in Portal 2 for example and configuration is consistent across all games.

M3d10n

Define "native".

The DS4 shows as standard direct input pads, so a bunch of games which do support dinput either detect it by its device id or assume PS button overlays.

If you are a licensed PS4 developer, Sony offers a library for native DS4 support for free (they only ask you to make a big deal about it whenever you can). This allows full DS4 support, including touchpad, motion sensors and controlling the LED bar. It doesn't require a driver installed on the clients' PCs.

Top Bottom