• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

I'm glad they released a demo for this game and on both platforms. I'm very interested in getting a pure action game but I haven't played a DMC game since the original DMC, so I'm not sure how things have changed. I would love if it was possible to post comparison shots without the typical bullshit that comes with them but this thread and the 1up Burnout Paradise Review thread tell me that they are more trouble than they are worth.

Maybe the way to go about a multi-platform comparison would be to start a thread by showing the 2 versions without labeling the platform each belongs to. Discuss the differences and then the OP reveals which image belongs to which platform. I think that tactic would avoid system wars bullshit and multi-platform owners can actually discuss the differences without being attacked by system defenders.

Nemesis556 said:
I don't quite get what Just-Revs are. Can someone explain it?

C- Warrior said:
Instant-rev (aka Just-Rev) Allows you to instantly load up rev-bar (there are 3 bars in the demo). Each bar constitutes one slash, or one special move.

While revved up, R1 + Foward + /\ goes from a simple lungle to a fire-based, 360 attack that you can actually charge up. Ditto for R1 + Back + /\

Just-Rev, works in that you can stream into things:

for example, slash once, tap L2 during the middle of the slash animation, and then lead straight into a suped up streak or high roller. (those R1+foward+/\ esque based moves)

You can also just-rev during the 3 hit air combo.

advanced set up combo

/\ = triangle = one sword slash

/\, (just-rev), R1+Back+/\, (you should now be airborne) , /\, (just-rev), R1+Foward+/\

Yes, even the regular helm breaker (air chop down attack) can be revved up to another move. Nero says "hell yeah" when he does it.

By tomorrow we should have the DMC-ers flood youtube with their combo videos of the demo. :lol

besada

Banned
Just played the 360 version. No problem with RB as target lock, but I have bigger hands than most.

Looks great, moves fast, and once I figured out what that blue shining point was, I stopped being stuck in the damn cathedral.

I like tossing enemies in the air and then keeping them there with the pistol until I get around to finishing them.

Seems like there needs to be more enemies, but I guess this is set to Easy mode or something.

Felix Lighter said:
Maybe the way to go about a multi-platform comparison would be to start a thread by showing the 2 versions without labeling the platform each belongs to. Discuss the differences and then the OP reveals which image belongs to which platform. I think that tactic would avoid system wars bullshit and multi-platform owners can actually discuss the differences without being attacked by system defenders.

You're talking about the same forum where someone posted real-life pictures posing as in-game pics and people ravaged those shots to pieces for not being good enough.

Any kind of comparison thread around here will always fail.

McDragon said:
My thoughts on the 360 demo:

1- X button should be the sword attack, not Y

2- right bumper need to be changed to right trigger

Was thinking the same thing. Also, for some reason my thumb got tired really quickly whilst spamming the Y button. I don't play much action games, and I don't know if I ever have on the 360, so if I had a PS3 I would prolly go with that version because of the face buttons.

Kestastrophe said:
Was thinking the same thing. Also, for some reason my thumb got tired really quickly whilst spamming the Y button. I don't play much action games, and I don't know if I ever have on the 360, so if I had a PS3 I would prolly go with that version because of the face buttons.

Yeah, my forearm started to get a bit tired from the 360 controller. It's nice and bulky, but that's just the thing, it's nice and bulky

But then again I was playing the demo over a bunch of times.

Kyoufu

C- Warrior said:
By tomorrow we should have the DMC-ers flood youtube with their combo videos of the demo. :lol

Oh how I wish I had a capturing device. I also wish I could switch melee for shoot because it'd make my J-cancels so much easier to do.

What a fucking awesome game/demo.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Game looks AMAZING on my 40" hdtv on my ps3, im satisfied as hell.
Day 1 and if it comes earlier then day -1.

Berial owned me, i he had 2 little blocks of health left, still not bad for first try right? He's harder than i thought tho :p. Game is everything i wanted from a new dmc and more. absolutely love it.

ps. Playing it with dualshock 3 = woot.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
You're talking about the same forum where someone posted real-life pictures posing as in-game pics and people ravaged those shots to pieces for not being good enough.

Any kind of comparison thread around here will always fail.

I'm telling you, if they went about it my way, violent fanboys wouldn't touch the thread until the platforms were revealed and by then the thread will no longer be useful anyway.

Ok, tried it with the HK demo and it didn't crash now. Got as far as the 2 Ice creatures but didn't have time to beat them. I wasn't able to do the Escape though. L1 + Left stick + X. Didn't work for me for some reason.

Gonna try the second option of the demo now.

Kyoufu

Hoooooooooly shit I just spent a good 3 minutes in the air Grab-cancelling + J-revs against Frosts :lol

IM SHAKING ITS SO DAMN GOOD

gkryhewy

I believe I read that the retail 360 version will have fully customizable controls, so remapping from bumper to trigger will be possible.

kiUNiT

Dahbomb said:
The comparisons are fucking lame... wake me up when there is an actual difference in those screens worth caring about. The game looks terrible in screens anyway, playing it in motion in HD is where it's at.

"Ice enemies look better on PS3 version" "Sword textures on 360 version look funny" "Textures on 360 version sharper than 360 version".... :lol

Like C-Warrior said, no one is going to give a fuck about comparisons when you are fighting against Berial in the heat of the battle.

Dahbomb said:
Verdict: If you are one of those lucky gamers who he is bestowed with BOTH a PS3 or a 360 then it is recommended based on the following facts that the PS3 version is the version to get over the 360 version. Due to the issue of legacy controls and no load times the choice becomes exceedingly simple.

You started this shit right in the OP so Glass Houses and shit, and if the PS3 showed any of the advantages the 360 has shown you would have been all over that shit. For those that have both systems it will just come down to controller or custom music.

ukiraros

Kestastrophe said:
Lol, I can't even get to that Berial boss. I keep dying on those ice-fuckers. Any tips?

Yeah, melee attack 2-3 times then press O (PS3) button to throw them. Repeat this and you should beat them. When their health is low you can hit them in the air and do an aerial attack.

Damn that Berial beat me twice but the 3rd time's the charm with very little health left. The demo is freaking awesome.

My first DMC experience.

gkryhewy

kiUNiT said:
You started this shit right in the OP so Glass Houses and shit, and if the PS3 showed any of the advantages the 360 has shown you would have been all over that shit.

This is true.

Ephemeris

ukiraros said:
Yeah, melee attack 2-3 times then press O (PS3) button to throw them. Repeat this and you should beat them. When their health is low you can hit them in the air and do an aerial attack.

Damn that Berial beat me twice but the 3rd time's the charm with very little health left. The demo is freaking awesome.

My first DMC experience.

Congrats :D

Mamesj

Banned
Kestastrophe said:
Lol, I can't even get to that Berial boss. I keep dying on those ice-fuckers. Any tips?

ABANDON ALL HOPE.

C-Warrior said:
Instant-rev (aka Just-Rev) Allows you to instantly load up rev-bar (there are 3 bars in the demo). Each bar constitutes one slash, or one special move.

While revved up, R1 + Foward + /\ goes from a simple lungle to a fire-based, 360 attack that you can actually charge up. Ditto for R1 + Back + /\

Just-Rev, works in that you can stream into things:

for example, slash once, tap L2 during the middle of the slash animation, and then lead straight into a suped up streak or high roller. (those R1+foward+/\ esque based moves)

You can also just-rev during the 3 hit air combo.

advanced set up combo

/\ = triangle = one sword slash

/\, (just-rev), R1+Back+/\, (you should now be airborne) , /\, (just-rev), R1+Foward+/\

Yes, even the regular helm breaker (air chop down attack) can be revved up to another move. Nero says "hell yeah" when he does it.

Thanks, I just came in to ask how I was instant revving.

Demo is fucking awesome. can't wait for the game.

Oh, and no problems with the 360 controller. Felt natural after 2 seconds of play. :\

wowfactor

Banned
I guess the PS3 version was intentionally blurred by the person who captured the images.
Look at the text in both version. The text is more blur in the PS3 version? why? how?

PS32.jpg

3602.jpg

sinnergy

wowfactor said:
I guess the PS3 version was intentionally blurred by the person who captured the images.
Look at the text in both version. The text is more blur in the PS3 version? why? how?
What??

angelfly

I'm loving the demo so much. I'm picking it up day one. Still trying to figure out how to beat the boss on that ice stage. I can dodge most of his attacks but one on them (a huge fire burst) seems like it can't be dodged.

Mamesj

Banned
wowfactor said:

Who fucking cares

Kestastrophe said:

Don't overuse the devil arm attack on them.

It may seem super cool and powerful, but it only targets one, so while you're flipping the fucker around the other will go in for an attack.

However, if they are close together, then go ahead and do -- and press B a bunch of times (or O if PS3) this will spin the one, and it will damage and stun the other.

Rev attacks will also stun them.

But it's best to perform just-revs.

Slash, then quickly press L2 during the previous slash animation. You will charge your rev meter by one.

Dot50Cal

Banned
wowfactor said:

Umm, no. Its the PS3's default black levels. The lines are more gray on it than the 360. It is not blurred.

Kyoufu

Just beat Berial, only times I hit the ground was when he hit me with that fucking fire from the ground attack which I don't know how to avoid during j-revs.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
So basically the difference between the versions is the same as it was as Burnout Paradise (i.e. not at all) but GAF will continue to turn nothing into something.

Wait for the 1up review.

Mamesj

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Just beat Berial, only times I hit the ground was when he hit me with that fucking fire from the ground attack which I don't know how to avoid during j-revs.

yeah, I'm wondering how to dodge that as well. jumping didn't work, dodging did nothing, and he appears to send it out in the 360 degrees surrounding him...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am currently playing DMC1 and DMC3:SE on my PS3. Having grown accustomed to the controls using the sixaxis (soon to be a DS3), I am buying the PS3 version. Having said that, I think it is great that people who own either an X360 or PS3 can play this game and not wonder how green the grass is on the other side. There may be slight differences, but this is in no way like the differences between Madden '08 on the two systems or any of the other shitty port jobs. Thank you, Capcom, for taking the system wars BS out of the equation.

Now, should I or should I not download the demo....Something tells me I will need all the practice I can get.

Mamesj said:
yeah, I'm wondering how to dodge that as well. jumping didn't work, dodging did nothing, and he appears to send it out in the 360 degrees surrounding him...

Backflip away.

If you pick up on the audio cue fast enough - - you can dodge away from it. It's extremely close, but it's possible.

I'm not sure why they put a timer on the first part of the demo. If you get far enough in the 8 mins (or was it 10?), it leads into the snow part anyway. So why not just have that whole thing as the demo. Instead of making you race a clock. Well, whatever. It was fun as hell and looks great. I'm looking forward to it now.

Kuroyume

Banned
Game is gorgeous... Is there a way to put the lock on button on the right trigger? The right trigger is used for nothing as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom