• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 SE: Vergil, Trish & Lady Playable, Release Date 18th of June

Sephzilla

Just booted up my Xbox and Trish & Lady Preorder DLC is installing on its own.

Well isn't that interesting!

You know what would make me happy? If street date for DMC4SE was lifted and it got released early. Isn't going to happen, but I can dream!

DMC HD Collection technically got released early though

Last Guardian is being reported to show up at E3. That being said, Godzilla might also rise out from the Pacific

If you are talking about the Guardian post, that sounds like they are purely speculating/hoping. Capcom does have the penchant for very limited leaks.

Edit: It seems the Guardian guy is invoking insider knowledge on TLG....hmmm....

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just booted up my Xbox and Trish & Lady Preorder DLC is installing on its own.

Just curious, when you log into Xbox.com, does it show the package, game, and costumes as being purchased?

On that note, my pre-order PS4 theme isn't showing up anywhere anymore, not even as an add-on on the page. Very odd.

That's strange. It's not showing up for me either. I'm using it, but it's not listed in the store or in the library.

Here are just SOME of the challenges that are going to be present when trying to make DMC PvP:

*Issue of gun spam. No block button means you will be taking a lot of minor but safe damage from afar by someone just spamming guns. Depending on how much hit stun the guns have it could be really strong.

*Mobility. Characters have teleports that are hard to punish as they are low recovery. Plus stuff like Table Hopper is going to make it very difficult to land a clean hit on these characters.

*Royal Guard would break PvP especially the guard cancel aspect of it which makes everything safe. You could do stuff like Spiral shot guard cancel over and over again. This extends to Vergil's Teleport cancel as well.

*Something like Devil Bringer Snatch is insanely hard to react to and will lead into a full combo if you get grabbed by it. Very powerful tool to balance (which is why equivalent moves in fighting games have start up).

*Many moves would be unusable like Real Impact. No one will ever get hit by Real Impact, it's a move that only works against comboed targets or big bodies. There are a bunch of other moves in DMC that would be completely unusable in PvP.

*How do you incorporate the Style gauge into PvP? That's a core element of the DMC series and it has to have some implications in the PvP combat as well (maybe you drop combos if your gauge starts to drop)

*Spiral Swords are very difficult to balance in a game that has no blocking. The computer isn't too smart with its usage but a human player would just keep moving/teleporting towards you while you try to dodge and not attack until the Spiral Swords hit. It's very difficult to parry the individual Spiral Sword hits as well.

*Devil Trigger has super armor while attacking which makes it very strong in PvP. Just build enough meter for DT and then just go ham on the opponent. Plus the regeneration aspect of it is very strong.

With the level of freedom and deliberate unbalance in a DMC game, a PVP mode's rules would have to be developed from the ground up. At that point, you're better off just making a completely new game based on those core concepts.

Devil May Cry is all about giving the player absolute power and mobility as long as they're good enough. They have every tool at their disposal. The PVP mode would kind of go against this core tenet. I would still love to have it, because it'd be hilarious to see these broken characters going at it. That'd be some MUGEN level shit.

But if they wanted the mode to have longevity, they'd have to basically develop an entire new third person combat system with more offensive rules and more defensive options. At that point, are you even playing DMC?

PVP would need fighting game level balance and at that point, may as well just save them for MVC4/Capcom Vs. Capcom or a DMC fighting game spin off.

Yeah, PVP is something that would be too hard to fit in with DMC's current combat system, just having co-op would be far more preferable.

Only character action game out there that would really work with a PVP mode would be Ninja Gaiden, considering how its combat is much more rooted in 3D fighting game fundamentals (to an extent).

TreIII

What's the #1 feature you would want in a DMC5?

For me? Number one is an extensive meta-game that far outlasts the 8-10 hour story mode, and gives the game nigh-indefinite replay value.

Part of the reason I could keep coming back to the likes of Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma is because there's a helluva lot of things to do. There's always another Quest/Monster to hunt. There's always another Rank to raise up to. And if you're really that much of a badass who's gotten through most of it, who knows, Capcom may give you even MORE to do, thanks to DLC updates and the like! And this is where the likes of
Rodin
and Ur-Dragon super bosses could really stand to shine, for the true bad mamma jammas.

That, in a nutshell, is what I want to see for DMC5. Bloody Palace by itself just isn't going to be enough for me, any more. And for a series like DMC, which prides itself on having such excellent combat engine, it really needs to give you more outlets where that combat can be further put to use.

For me? Number one is an extensive meta-game that far outlasts the 8-10 hour story mode, and gives the game nigh-indefinite replay value.

Part of the reason I could keep coming back to the likes of Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma is because there's a helluva lot of things to do. There's always another Quest/Monster to hunt. There's always another Rank to raise up to. And if you're really that much of a badass who's gotten through most of it, who knows, Capcom may give you even MORE to do, thanks to DLC updates and the like! And this is where the likes of
Rodin
and Ur-Dragon super bosses could really stand to shine, for the true bad mamma jammas.

That, in a nutshell, is what I want to see for DMC5. Bloody Palace by itself just isn't going to be enough for me, any more. And for a series like DMC, which prides itself on having such excellent combat engine, it really needs to give you more outlets where that combat can be further put to use.
Yah I feel you on this as well. Need more than just BP and main campaign. BP can get old despite the great combat engine, because you repeat the same level encounters on a disc.

Also the less rumors DMC5, the less I feel it's happening at E3.. Anyone remember when DMC4 was revealed if there were rumors floating around?

Dahbomb

Also the less rumors DMC5, the less I feel it's happening at E3.. Anyone remember when DMC4 was revealed if there were rumors floating around?
I already have said many times there were absolutely no rumors before DMC4. It came out of left field at the Sony conference, no one expected it. DMC3SE had just come out.

DmC had rumors floating around though even though many people didn't want to believe it.

No big rumors for DMC2 and DMC3 either. The only DMC3 rumor was that the actress for Lady stated that she was working on a new DMC game on her blog just a little while before the game was unveiled first in PSM and then video footage was shown at E3 for the first time shortly after.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Finally pre-ordered in PC. £16. I love PC and Green Man Gaming.

Is DMC4 vanilla a 120/144fps game, or is it locked to 60? If I get to do some super smooth Vergil madness I will be a very happy man.

cheesekao

They can easily prevent infinites in a versus mode by implementing a damage burst system like in PSABR, I-frames upon recovery and also have diminishing returns for every extra hit.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
DMC4:SE opening movie sequence. Some Dante, Vergil, Nero, Lady, and Trish gameplay is mixed in there. Will capture some gameplay either later this week or over the weekend. I love the music in this game.

https://youtu.be/kmbWNBtj7nU

GLORIOUS
80557ea64f0af07031f1dde2d65c8381.gif

This game was totally off my radar because while I enjoyed the original game I found the first half a complete slog. Unupgraded Nero is very dull.

Then I saw a clip of Lady's gameplay and knew I had to get the game. Vergil and Trish look really fun too.

Dunno if I'll ever even touch the Nero-Dante campaign at this point. Too hyped for the other ones.

Also a bit bummed that you can't play the entire campaign with any character (aside from Vergil). And gotta farm Proud Souls again too, ugh. :V

Nemmy

Is DMC4 vanilla a 120/144fps game, or is it locked to 60? If I get to do some super smooth Vergil madness I will be a very happy man.

You can unlock the framerate in the vanilla PC version. Not sure if there's a limit - if there is, it's definitely not 60.
I sure hope it stays that way in SE :)

The PC version has arbitrary framerate support right in the in-game options, no tweaking required. It is probably the best PC "port" of all time. It ran at 120fps on my friggin' Macbook Pro on an external monitor.

If this remaster ends up being worse I will be infinitely disappointed. You just never know with Capcpom.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMC4:SE opening movie sequence. Some Dante, Vergil, Nero, Lady, and Trish gameplay is mixed in there. Will capture some gameplay either later this week or over the weekend. I love the music in this game.

https://youtu.be/kmbWNBtj7nU

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Did you ever find out if your interview was with the development team or Capcom USA? Should we lookout anywhere in particular for the interview?

Top Bottom