• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

DMC4 is actually easier than DmC DE at the hardest setting but harder than vanilla DmC.
Yah it's kind of disappointed they didn't add a GMD difficulty to DMC4. I guess there's always PC mods. I do wonder if they tweaked the difficulty (probably would try to make it easier though).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Good info, thanks! I play souls games and fighting games (albeit poorly lol) so hopefully there is some crossover in skillsets.

There absolutely is some crossover in skills. Something to keep in mind is to the above posts about dodging, and how they jump is intended to be utilized in combat. Also, jump canceling and weapon switch canceling.

Take a look at the tutorial videos in the op. If those are too advanced, then watch some of the character introduction videos listed as well. There's a lot of useful information there.

Plot wise the story of DMC4 is largely self contained, however you'll miss a lot of references. That said, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't play DMC3.

BadWolf

Couldn't control the hype so did some fanart:

maQlO9U.jpg

Can't wait to start the game with her on release, still a little bummed we can't play the entire campaign with her like with Vergil though.

Alright so this will be my first DMC game, and also my first character action game. Anybody have any sage advice for a newbie like myself, gameplay or plot-wise? I pre-ordered the PC version (fingers crossed its a good port).

You should honestly play DMC3 first.

Can't wait to start the game with her on release, still a little bummed we can't play the entire campaign with her like with Vergil though.

You should honestly play DMC3 first.
Oh my gawd.. Do Vergil next pls...

Unless there are some weird issues and bugs in this re-release, reviews are pretty much uesless for this game. We know the type of game it is, we know the content.

It can get a 1/10 from reviewers, we will still know that it is one of the best action games out there with a godly combat.

The reviews aren't really for 'us' though.

It's for public perception and people who are on the fence.

Golnei

I love it - I'm usually not a fan of Lady's DMC4 outfit, but with the palette, pose and stylised features you've given her, it looks perfect.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Which version of 3 should one go with?

There are three viable options. All will run at 60fps and control well (though the PC version may require some effort on your part). If you already have a PS3 or X360, I'd recommend just picking up the HD Collection since it's the least labor intensive.

1) DMC HD Collection
Almost perfect, if barebones, adaptation of Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition. There is a very rare freezing issue that some people have cited and a single underutilized move in DMC3 doesn't work properly, but it is otherwise probably the quickest, and least labor-intensive way to play the game in HD.
Physical-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VBVQDI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005X50JWQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Around $15

2) Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition- PC (Steam)
This will take some work. You should download the Style Switch mod, which includes the latest patches and xpadder type drivers for using a controller:
http://www.nexusmods.com/devilmaycry3/mods/1/?

It also has slowdown and incompatibility issues with some cards until certain music tracks are removed from the game. Some people claim not to have this issue:
http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/topic/3715047/1/

DMC3 Special Edition
http://store.steampowered.com/app/6550/
DMC 3 & 4 Bundle.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/50979/
Individually it's currently on sale on Steam for $6.79. It often goes on sale for $4.99 during dailies or flashes, but the sale is almost over, so that's not going to happen any time soon.

3) Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition- PS2
Classic way to play the game in SD. Be sure to get the Special Edition, since it has all the extras and playable Vergil, as the base non-Special Edition will not have these.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E49SGE/?tag=neogaf0e-20
You can also use an emulator to play this on PS2. A lot of people use this option.

Got Lady/Trish's campaign done. Gonna see if I can knock out Vergil's now.

Is there any way you could speed through Heaven or Hell mode to confirm that difficulty clear picture?

Seyavesh

the pc version of dmc3se is currently $6.79 on the steam store

style switching in dmc3 dawg!

also like a plethora of possible issues too but... style switching

The reviews aren't really for 'us' though.

It's for public perception and people who are on the fence.

DMC4SE is really hard to review because most people who get it are going to be character action veterans, but do you write the review for them or for people who might not know what they're getting into?

I spent a while thinking about it before I wrote mine.

BadWolf

Wow dude that looks amazing.

Oh my gawd.. Do Vergil next pls...

I love it - I'm usually not a fan of Lady's DMC4 outfit, but with the palette, pose and stylised features you've given her, it looks perfect.

That looks awesome. I love the almost fashion design stylization on her.

Glad you liked her guys ^_^

Been sitting here listening to the DMC4SE dashboard music for about 10 minutes now

I've been binging on DMC trailers and vids.

Got an email saying the preorder has been paid for and the game is estimated to be available at 11pm Gmt on the 23rd. What is the point in even saying it drops on the 23rd if its an hour before the 24th.

Dugna

mine says 6/22/2015 at 9 pm...so when you get an email from the sony store for preorder it means you local time correct?

Also I ended up buying some PSN cards and buying me and my friend this game just to chill and slash up some guys for fun.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMC4SE is really hard to review because most people who get it are going to be character action veterans, but do you write the review for them or for people who might not know what they're getting into?

A review is written for the general masses, of course, and most people aren't going to dip beyond the surface of a game like DMC4. But having someone review the game without familiarity with the series, its legacy, and standards does a grave disservice to the game and the readership as a whole. This was done on multiple occasions with the reviews I read for DmC. I would expect a reviewer to be able to break down the value of the game by its strengths and goals, and tailor the review to the demographic that might have a passing interest in such a title rather than any gamer.

It's a tricky thing, and a delicate balance I imagine.

I could try my hand at it, though I bet by the time I do, someone will have done it just before I did, lol.

H&H should be cake with Lady & Trish, though.

Yeah, the only reason I ask is because H&H should be super easy and quick to tear through, and having it confirmed would be nice.

Wait, people have it already???=O

Seven Force got lucky with the import. :p

mine says 6/22/2015 at 9 pm...so when you get an email from the sony store for preorder it means you local time?

Yeah pretty sure its your local time or at least the time zone for the region your psn account is registered under.
It states 23/06/15 @ 11PM for me , of course it does say its an estimate so only time will tell when its released

I too plan to stream. And also put up some vids on youtube and replace that god awful skrubtastic dmc4 vid i made years ago

Dugna

Yeah pretty sure its your local time or at least the time zone for the region your psn account is registered under.
It states 23/06/15 @ 11PM for me , of course it does say its an estimate so only time will tell when its released

Ohh cool so I might be able to play earlier because of server differences or something then, will be a first for me being on the east coast of US which is usually subject to west coast time.

Dugna

Pretty sure the differences are time zone differences..

yeah so the server and timer are set for earlier time compared to me for once, which is nice. Usually most video game servers involving the big three are set on west coast or midwest which makes it so launches of games digitally always end up stupidly late for me on the east coast.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Has anyone gotten their hands on the xbone version yet? Pretty sure I'm going ps4 with this one, but not if the AF issue rears its head again.

Been biding my time finishing off the Witcher 3. Now that that's done I'll probably spend the next few days rewatching trailers, combo videos and tutorials to get my head back in the game.

Edit: awesome pic BadWolf.

Seeing Trish use Rising Sun really makes me wish Vergil had it as a standard move still. So strange to give it to her instead of him.

BadWolf

Been biding my time finishing off the Witcher 3. Now that that's done I'll probably spend the next few days rewatching trailers, combo videos and tutorials to get my head back in the game.

Edit: awesome pic BadWolf.

Thanks!

Whoa, just noticed that Lady bends the trajectory of the bullets when shooting from her handguns, kind of like in that movie Wanted.

And watching these vids I have no idea why anyone would want someone other than Itsuno working on the series.

1. That second Vergil clip was funny around the end. Just play it off, man.

2. Dat Trish.

Yeah that Vergil animation caught my eye too lol.

Loving the taunts for all three of the new characters, they outdid themselves.

Love how they went the extra mile to give them these bells and whistles despite being on a low budget.

Ideally it should be for both; to inform new players what they're getting into and to assure old players that might not have been following this as closely as the rest of us.

Ideally anyway.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Whoa, just noticed that Lady bends the trajectory of the bullets when shooting from her handguns, kind of like in that movie Wanted.

And watching these vids I have no idea why anyone would want someone other than Itsuno working on the series.

It reminds me a lot of tracer bullets in Borderlands. It's a really cool effect.

is vergil doing some kind of boxing at 1 min? lol

yeah it seems something like Dante would do. I think they didn't change some of the animations of Vergil from Dante. When Nero got hit he would stand up after recovery while Dante would do the 'boxing'. Don't know about lady or trish...

Dahbomb

I thought Vergil's Round Trip was a set distance away, people are using it at point blank range to good effect.

Man the first 5 character combo mad for DMC4SE is going to melt people's faces....

Top Bottom