• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Capcom has been doing that for their other games too since, only exception I can think of is SFV, which again was rushed to release. Take MvCi and RE7, both came out of the blue (RE7 did have the kitchen demo shown much earlier) same kinda goes for the new dead rising. Obviously Capcom doesn't want the long wait most companies do for their games from announcement to release for the fear of hype dying out, which makes perfect sense.
I would've share the same opinion if they had not announced REmake 2 the moment that they got it green-light.

To me DMC5 had pre-production done by Jan 2016, which is when Itsuno had that tweet indicating him working on a project. E3 2017 seems perfect time to announce the game and have it release Jan/Feb ala RE7 schedule.
I agree with this actually. I just think the reason they didn't move on to full production before that, was them waiting on 4SE's sale data before deciding whether they wanted to invest in DMC5. (and/or how much they wanted to invest in it)

TreIII

Claiming victory and that we get the announcement no later than E3, full blowout by TGS and a release date in February 2018.

LET'S GO!

MBS

Banned
duUydbw.gif

Sesha

This is pretty much the best news that 2016 could have ended with (for me, at least).

Although it's still a bit early on my end, have a Happy Goddamned New Year, DMC-GAF.

All those Jabronis in that thread asking for something other than DMC5...

LMAO!

I won't fault them for not paying attention. I could, but I won't.

Sesha

Clearly paid by Capcom for the upcoming DMC5 reveal. So do you guys think we will get a reveal before E3? Any special DMC anniversaries coming up? (too lazy to look on wikipedia).

I think we'll get the same as every other recent major Capcom announcement. Rumors a few days prior to the press event. But no details prior outside of maybe some weird interview talk about "we would love to...", "we are looking into", etc. Maybe the FY2017 financial review in April will have something, like how we sorta found out about RE7, DR4 and MHXX from the non-specific sales targets.

The only major anniversaries recently were DMC1 and the series' 15th anniversary, and DMC3SE's 10th anniversary in 2016. There's nothing coming up. DMC2 was 14 years ago, DMC4 was 9 years ago, DmC was 4 years ago. Only thing would be the 5th anniversary of DMC HD Collection, which isn't of note.

Someone should excuse Suda51 tho :p

I think we'll get the same as every other recent major Capcom announcement. Rumors a few days prior to the press event. But no details prior outside of maybe some weird interview talk about "we would love to...", "we are looking into", etc. Maybe the FY2017 financial review in April will have something, like how we sorta found out about RE7, DR4 and MHXX from the non-specific sales targets.

The only major anniversaries recently were DMC1 and the series' 15th anniversary, and DMC3SE's 10th anniversary in 2016. There's nothing coming up. DMC2 was 14 years ago, DMC4 was 9 years ago, DmC was 4 years ago. Only thing would be the 5th anniversary of DMC HD Collection, which isn't of note.
I can actually see them put a DMC 15th anniversary logo/massage in the announcement trailer. I really hope they don't though. It'll just piss me off cause they didn't bother to even acknowledge it when it actually was the anniversary so they should just keep quite about it now.

Sesha

Someone should excuse Suda51 tho :p

I can actually see them put a DMC 15th anniversary logo/massage in the announcement trailer. I really hope they don't though. It'll just piss me off cause they didn't bother to even acknowledge it when it actually was the anniversary so they should just keep quite about it now.

I hope the announcement begins like RE7, where you don't know what it is at first, and the first thing you'll see is 15.

For example, the footage starts and goes on for a couple of minutes. You see a man in a coat, and you can faintly see a couple of guns. Then the 15 appears again, followed by 1 disappearing, leaving 5. Then "Devil May Cry" appears. Screen fades, followed by a full Dante reveal.

I hope the announcement begins like RE7, where you don't know what it is at first. The first thing you'll see is 15. The footage starts and goes on for a couple of minutes. Then the 15 appears again, followed by 1 disappearing, leaving 5. Then "Devil May Cry" appears.
God dammit, can't believe I have to wait 6 months for this... Longest half year of my life :p.

I hope the announcement begins like RE7, where you don't know what it is at first, and the first thing you'll see is 15.

For example, the footage starts and goes on for a couple of minutes. You see a man in a coat, and you can faintly see a couple of guns. Then the 15 appears again, followed by 1 disappearing, leaving 5. Then "Devil May Cry" appears. Screen fades, followed by a full Dante reveal.

That wouldn't be so bad but I don't see Sony (assuming it's their conference) giving 2-3 minutes time to DMC5's trailer. It'll probably be a 1-1.5 minute thing so they'll probably reveal Dante/Vergil within the first 20-30 seconds.

Dahbomb

DMC 15th Anniversary pops up.

The 15 turns into 5, revealing Devil May Cry 5 the trailer.

Trailer ends with DMC5 logo as a "5" but then Vergil comes and slashes up the logo leaving a "V".

V has come... and so will I!

DMC is a lot more up front with the audience as far as what it's all about so the things they can do with a horror/mystery game as far as reveals would be hard to pull off with this.

I just want to get hype.

Dahbomb

DMC3 was first unveiled as DMC0 and then Dante came and slashed it into a 3. Or maybe it was the other way around, I forgot.

DMC5 would be revealed RE7 style.

They'll show something that completely doesn't look like traditional DMC- they'll make it look horrorish like having a woman being chased through a Japanese castle by some biohazard looking dinosaur monster, then people would be like "Oh shit is this Onimusha?!" or "Oh shit it's Dino Crisis?!".

Then the woman run into an open field, tripped and fell. But just as the monster was about to get her we hear a familiar barrage of gunfire followed by a large sword being thrown to impale the beast in the face. (Eagle eyes/ears fans would recognize them)

The woman turned and saw a man wearing a cloak.

"Who are you?"

He smirked.

"Wanna know the name?"

Bam! <DEVIL MAY CRY 5. Feb 2018.> Plastered across the screen. The audiences blew their minds and Sony won E3 2017.

Was DMC3 actually revealed that way though? I know it was in the game and looked really sick but I wasn't a DMC fan before I first played DMC3 on PC. So right now you and Dah are confusing me with these conflicting reports on DMC3's reveal trailer lol

DMC5 would be revealed RE7 style.

They'll show something that completely doesn't look like traditional DMC- they'll make it look horrorish like having a woman being chased through a Japanese castle by some biohazard looking dinosaur monster, then people would be like "Oh shit is this Onimusha?!" or "Oh shit it's Dino Crisis?!".

Then the woman run into an open field, tripped and fell. But just as the monster was about to get her we hear a familiar barrage of gunfire followed by a large sword being thrown to impale the beast in the face. (Eagle eyes/ears fans would recognize them)

The woman turned and saw a man wearing a cloak.

"Who are you?"

He smirked.

"Wanna know the name?"

Bam! <DEVIL MAY CRY 5. Feb 2018.> Plastered across the screen. The audiences blew their minds and Sony won E3 2017.

I would love that! Though think about the poor Jawmuncher. He/She will be destroyed by that Dino tease :(

Also, maybe not with the reveal trailer, but they need to show some bits of gameplay whenever they announce it. Maybe release a gameplay teaser later on the same day/week, but they need to give us something gameplay related.

I would love that! Though think about the poor Jawmuncher. He/She will be destroyed by that Dino tease :(

Also, maybe not with the reveal trailer, but they need to show some bits of gameplay whenever they announce it. Maybe release a gameplay teaser later on the same day/week, but they need to give us something gameplay related.

Picture this- seamless transition from cutscene to gameplay, MGS4 style.

They pulled back the camera and show gameplay by donguri who they flew out in secret to record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8herTMJSYQA

this is the thing i'm talkin' about.
i guess it wasn't the reveal but it's always what i think of when i think dmc surprise reveal- dmc4 even had a teaser with something like that using prototype dante fuckin' up that camera
Oh, it's so cool that they had it in the trailers as well. Now I wanna see something similar for DMC5. "Sweet dreams" part included.

Regarding DMC4 teaser, I actually liked that look of Dante more than what we got in DMC4. He looked like a crazy dude and it really suit him.
Picture this- seamless transition from cutscene to gameplay, MGS4 style.

They pulled back the camera and show gameplay by donguri who they flew out in secret to record.
Stop it, I can only get hyped so much.

Sesha

Those Lady faces. She really is a cutie.

That wouldn't be so bad but I don't see Sony (assuming it's their conference) giving 2-3 minutes time to DMC5's trailer. It'll probably be a 1-1.5 minute thing so they'll probably reveal Dante/Vergil within the first 20-30 seconds.

I could see it getting 2-3 minutes. Not more than that, though.

DMC is a lot more up front with the audience as far as what it's all about so the things they can do with a horror/mystery game as far as reveals would be hard to pull off with this.

I just want to get hype.

The footage could follow a different character in the beginning and play it mysterious before showing Dante. If they're doing another game with a second protagonist it would be a good fake out. Even if there's gameplay footage, without recognizable characters people would keep guessing.

I'd just love it if they did something clever and memorable that got people talking. I absolutely love the original DMC3 trailer, but sadly stuff like that doesn't really wow people anymore. They've continually mentioned the strong reaction RE7 got, so I could see them looking into doing a surprise reveal like that again. However, like you said, the nature of DMC is very specific.

I could see it getting 2-3 minutes. Not more than that, though.
I don't know man. Spider-Man which was a Sony exclusive only got 1:19 minutes trailer for its reveal at E3. Both Days Gone and The Last Guardian weren't that much better either and only had 2 minutes long trailers (and they are both first parties). Even MvCI in PSX had only a 1:20 or so reveal trailer.

I don't think Sony would be okay with a 2-3 minutes trailer for DMC5.

Sesha

I don't know man. Spider-Man which was a Sony exclusive only got 1:19 minutes trailer for its reveal at E3. Both Days Gone and The Last Guardian weren't that much better either and only had 2 minutes long trailers (and they are both first parties). Even MvCI in PSX had only a 1:20 or so reveal trailer.

I don't think Sony would be okay with a 2-3 minutes trailer for DMC5.

Days Gone got a big demo at the end of the E3 presser. The Last Guardian got a big showing at E3 2015, and short trailers on several events between then and release. MvC: I was short, but it was a CG trailer, and they had the gameplay reveal during the Capcom Cup. I'll give you Spider-Man, but there were plenty of games that got lengthy showings at both E3 and PSX the last couple of years as well.

But anyway, I realized it's kinda pointless to speculate about.

Six months would fly pass like nothing.

Yakuza
RE7
Berseria
Nioh
For Honor
Nier
Horizon
Persona 5

Then Suddenly E3 would be right around the corner.

Days Gone got a big demo at the end of the E3 presser. The Last Guardian got a big showing at E3 2015, and short trailers on several events between then and release. MvC: I was short, but it was a CG trailer, and they had the gameplay reveal during the Capcom Cup. I'll give you Spider-Man, but there were plenty of games that got lengthy showings at both E3 and PSX the last couple of years as well.

But anyway, I realized it's kinda pointless to speculate about.
You are right about Days Gone, my bad. Though the point that I was making is that current Sony allows lengthy trailers in their conferences only if they are from very popular franchises/people. (FF, RE7, Kojima game, etc)

That's why I don't see them giving DMC5 that much time, since it's been 9 years and series might have lost some of its popularity. (for instance look at that Itsuno thread getting only 7 pages, while much nicher stuff like Persona regularly get +10 pages topics)

But as you've said, it's probably pointless to speculate about Sony's conference plans.
Six months would fly pass like nothing.

Yakuza
RE7
Berseria
Nioh
For Honor
Nier
Horizon
Persona 5

Then Suddenly E3 would be right around the corner.
You guys better buy these. None of them are DMC but they'll manage to scratch your action itches for now.

Golnei

WTF!? Hahaha, Itsuno and team are glorious trolls LMAO

Since the characters' faces don't animate normally in gameplay, the static "masks" of exaggerated expressions might have been a performance compromise to allow some sort of visible change while not having to use full animations for something that'd be mostly hidden while playing. I think V will probably ditch them as far as the actual implementation goes, but the actual expressions could easily still find their way in.

Since the characters' faces don't animate normally in gameplay, the static "masks" of exaggerated expressions might have been a performance compromise to allow some sort of visible change while not having to use full animations for something that'd be mostly hidden while playing. I think V will probably ditch them as far as the actual implementation goes, but the actual expressions could easily still find their way in.
Yeah, I was thinking that some of them probably have to do with the tech that they had to use at the time. But few of them were clearly designed to look goofy so I wouldn't be surprised if DMC5 had a few as well.

Sesha

Facial mo-cap and animation has advanced a lot in gaming (a lot of it thanks to Ninja Theory, interestingly enough), so I expect that a lot of in-game animations would use facial mo-cap.

Top Bottom