• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

I know I've talked a lot about Yakuza, but screw it, I'm gonna talk about Yakuza cause DMC5 needs to learn from some of the shit that this series does.

Playing Yakuza 5 earlier and I was very surprised to see that the game has 5 different Boss Rush modes in it! I had finished them before but I guess after recently replaying DMC4SE missions over and over again just to have one fight with Credo, Dante, etc, after every 10-15 minutes or so, I've found a new appreciation for how Yakuza 5 gives you all these options just as you finish the game.

Not only that, but the last variation of Boss Rush in Yakuza 5 not only includes every big boss fight from the game, but it also adds new bosses that weren't even in the main game! 2 of the playable characters in Y5 were never boss fights in the campaign but in Boss Rush you have to fight them before you face off against the last boss. (and that's on top of having other secret bosses that you can fight after finishing the game and fulfilling certain conditions)

If DMC5 comes out with the same amount of side contents as DMC4/DMC3, I'm gonna freaking lose it. Stuff like Boss Rush and Training are the absolute minimum of what I expect to see in vanilla DMC5. I know I whine a lot about the game not getting announced and even though I do want them to announce it already, but I'm willing to give them as much time as they need when it comes to actual release of the game. Just make sure you give us a complete package.

P.S: Another Yakuza thing that I want to see a DMC equivalent of is the "Ultimate Challenges" that you unlock after finishing the game. Those are an absolute blast to play.

Sesha

DmC had its fourth anniversary yesterday. I got reminded of it by randomly seeing a FaceBook post by Ninja Theory on it.

Funny if DMC5 arrives next year on DmC's fifth anniversary. Then again, next year will be DMC4's 10th.

I got a PS3 controller the other day and only just realized it meant I can play DMC3 again. But of course, my save data is all on my old PS3. Time to grind for abilities again...

Oh, and happy birthday DmC.

Sesha

This is a weird form of cross-media marketing :p

cBn34Wa.jpg

I got a PS3 controller the other day and only just realized it meant I can play DMC3 again. But of course, my save data is all on my old PS3. Time to grind for abilities again...

Oh, and happy birthday DmC.

Play the DMC3SE PC version. Won't solve the grinding issue, but keeping track of your save is simpler, at least.

Dahbomb

Hitman wins ACTION game of the year on NeoGAF...

Ayy lmao... *starts to cry slowly

Itsuno save us from these non action action games already.

Dahbomb

Hitman is a STEALTH GAME!

Stealth is the POLAR OPPOSITE OF ACTION! You are actively trying to avoid combat and confrontation where as in an action game you are actively trying to engage in combat!

This is like giving best Platform to a Pokémon game, a game where there isn't even a jump button.

Stealth is the POLAR OPPOSITE OF ACTION! You are actively trying to avoid combat and confrontation where as in an action game you are actively trying to engage in combat!

This is like giving best Platform to a Pokémon game, a game where there isn't even a jump button.

That is true... but I sometimes get Jason Bourne vibes with Hitman so I kinda can see why it is put in action category.... but yea without a doubt it is a stealth game first and foremost...

The genre categories are kinda screwed up. You can argue against and in favor of stuff like Hitman, Dishonored, Dark Souls and tons of other games being part of the action genre and you wouldn't be wrong in either case.

Sesha

The action category is a mess. This is the top ten:

Hitman
Let It Die
Severed
Battleborn
PlayStation VR Worlds
The Lab
Senran Kagura: Estival Versus
Hyrule Warriors Legends
The Playroom VR
Aragami

Aside from Hitman and Aragami, none of these games have anything in common. There's not much left for action when you separate into adventure games, action games, FPS, and shooters (which includes 3PS and various other shooters). Furi, a game that absolutely belongs in this category, is instead in the shooter category. I really don't get the distinction between action and adventure in this case. Couldn't games like Hitman, Severed and Aragami be considered adventure games?

Sadly, the melee action-adventure games and DMC clones that dominated the PS2 era are basically dead, partly due to the death of the AA mid-tier and licensed games.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Unfortunately, "Action" has been a catch-all term that people use for basically any 3D game involving a combination of exploration, attacking enemies, and isn't strictly a shooter. With those blurred lines, a lot of subgenres that don't have enough categories to have a substantial list, like "Stealth", "Musou", "Open World/GTA", and "Adventure", commonly get tossed in.

flemia's modding abilities have gone far beyond my understanding now.
i genuinely have no idea how he's even doing DT specific strings- that shit is incredible

anyhow he updated the classic vergil motion mod, with a nelo angelo specific DT moveset that only activates when you're in DT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJclF2yChBA

Wow, this is ridiculously impressive.

Dahbomb

Hitman
Let It Die
Severed
Battleborn
PlayStation VR Worlds
The Lab
Senran Kagura: Estival Versus
Hyrule Warriors Legends
The Playroom VR
Aragami

I didn't even look at the lost past Hitman. This is a diarrhea of genre mixtures and an insult to action gaming.

Isn't Battleborn a hero shooter like Overwatch? Why isn't Overwatch in the action category?

Sesha

I guess stealth games are technically action games. MGS would be action games as well. But I don't get the supposed distinction between action and adventure in this case.

I didn't even look at the lost past Hitman. This is a diarrhea of genre mixtures and an insult to action gaming.

Isn't Battleborn a hero shooter like Overwatch? Why isn't Overwatch in the action category?

It's an FPS MOBA. Overwatch is more like Team Fortress. But yeah, they're both team-based hero-based multiplayer FPS. It couldn't make the FPS list because it wouldn't have enough votes, but it really begs the question of why it's on the action list.

Sesha

That looks fine for what it is. Even without Pro, the PS4 version would probably have looked and ran the same. No cause for concern for DMC5 imo. Also DMC5 won't be first person and will have lots of things going on at all time, so the IQ won't be as noticeable.

The IQ in PS4 version is so bad that it actually hurts my eyes just looking at it (I'm not being hyperbolic, it really does). It's like looking through an unfocused camera lens. I'm usually not affected by these stuff, but RE7's IQ is one of those rare cases that I can totally see how bad it is.

Sesha

RE7 might feel worse because it's first person and slow-paced, so it's more noticeable. I personally think it looks more than playable. But I won't lie, the crispness and clarity of the Pro version looks really good. I hope I can get a similar effect on my PC.

30fps on PS4, 60fps on PS4 Pro

There's no way, especially with RE7 being 60 fps. They surely know better after DmC.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but judging from that Nioh combo video I posted and several like it, is it fair to say that Nioh does combos the same way DMC does combos?

Meaning not the "dial-a-combo" philosophy?

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but judging from that Nioh combo video I posted and several like it, is it fair to say that Nioh does combos the same way DMC does combos?

Meaning not the "dial-a-combo" philosophy?

Nah because DMC relies on special moves more than Nioh and any other action game really. That's why stuff like the style system is so important. Nioh functions like Ninja Gaiden more than DMC on a combo level. At least it seemed that way to me when I was playing it.

Dahbomb

There are hardly any similarities in combos.

That's not even a combo video, that's a freestyle combat video

Something similar to that in a DMC game would be this:

https://youtu.be/Ma3zKo4IaLU

DMC games are way more focused on juggles, cancels, movements and switches. It's just a completely different system.

I mean yeah Nioh isn't exactly dial a combo but that's like saying ZOE2 or Godhand are like DMC.

I mean yeah but that's getting down to the nitty gritty details of it which most people probably wouldn't get into so I feel that the nuisances would be lost in the explanation.

I think it's enough to say "Dial-a-combo" and "freestyle", and an explanation/example of that would be DMC. People would understand that it's not exactly like DMC.

Also you surprisingly have quite a bit of freedom in switching weapons and stances- you can do it in mid animation. I'll post a video of someone explaining it.

Nioh Gameplay Mechanics Explained (Stream Highlight)

Coming from the Bayonetta games, which DMC game would you recommend? The only DMC games I've played so far are DMC3 SE and DMC4 non-SE.

I'm primarily looking for a DMC title for the PS4, but I can't decide between the latest DMC and DMC4 SE. I also have a PS3 hooked up, so the HD Collection would be a valid suggestion, too.

Any other Bayonetta-like games on the PS4 that I've missed (I already have Transformers: Devastation)?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Coming from the Bayonetta games, which DMC game would you recommend? The only DMC games I've played so far are DMC3 SE and DMC4 non-SE.

I'm primarily looking for a DMC title for the PS4, but I can't decide between the latest DMC and DMC4 SE. I also have a PS3 hooked up, so the HD Collection would be a valid suggestion, too.

Any other Bayonetta-like games on the PS4 that I've missed (I already have Transformers: Devastation)?

Since you're already finished DMC3SE, I'd suggest DMC4SE, as the new characters and fresh coat of paint really add another dimension at a budget price.

You could also give Metal Gear Rising a try. Not exactly Bayo like, but it does share similarities. You'll have to go PS3 or PC for it though.

Since you're already finished DMC3SE, I'd suggest DMC4SE, as the new characters and fresh coat of paint really add another dimension at a budget price.

You could also give Metal Gear Rising a try. Not exactly Bayo like, but it doesurly share similarities. You'll have to go PS3 or PC for it though.

Thanks for your suggestions! Already played MG:R and really, really liked it. But it looks like I can't find a physical copy of DMC4SE for the PS4 anywhere. I'll search some more.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thanks for your suggestions! Already played MG:R and really, really liked it. But it looks like I can't find a physical copy of DMC4SE for the PS4 anywhere. I'll search some more.

Unfortunately, DMC4SE is digital exclusive in the west. Hard copies of the Asian version are available online, and are fully playable with full English, Japanese, and English subs. Make sure to get the Asian version and not the Japanese version if you go that route.

Unfortunately, DMC4SE is digital exclusive in the west. Hard copies of the Asian version are available online, and are fully playable with full English, Japanese, and English subs. Make sure to get the Asian version and not the Japanese version if you go that route.

Oh, didn't know that, but that explains why I can't find it anywhere. Will look out for the Asian version then. Thanks again!

Sesha

Play DMC (directed by Kamiya, has great atmosphere and bosses, the best enemy design and some of the best environments in the series. Different from the later games in terms of gameplay, though), then DmC DE, then DMC4SE, in that order.

The only other Bayonetta-like game on PS4 (in terms of combat) I can think of are NieR Automata and Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi and Sanada Yukimura-den. Look up Malicious Fallen as well. Maybe you'll find it interesting.

Play DMC (directed by Kamiya, has great atmosphere and bosses, the best enemy design and some of the best environments in the series. Different from the later games in terms of gameplay, though), then DmC DE, then DMC4SE, in that order.

The only other Bayonetta-like game on PS4 (in terms of combat) I can think of are NieR Automata and Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi and Sanada Yukimura-den. Look up Malicious Fallen as well. Maybe you'll find it interesting.

Alright, sounds like a plan. I'm already looking forward to NieR Automata, but I don't really like the more "historical" approach in the two games you mentioned. Malicious Fallen looks to be right up my alley though and I haven't heard anything of this game before! Will keep an eye out for it when it releases! Thanks!

Sesha

Alright, sounds like a plan. I'm already looking forward to NieR Automata, but I don't really like the more "historical" approach in the two games you mentioned. Malicious Fallen looks to be right up my alley though and I haven't heard anything of this game before! Will keep an eye out for it when it releases! Thanks!

There's a lot of cool stuff that can be done in SB4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFvLSP4Gens. But I understand if it's not your thing. About Malicous Fallen, announced today, it launches on February 21st.

Sesha

Did SB4 not get a western release aswell? Because the only version I can find is the Japanese version with Japanese subtitles only...

And wow, Malicious Fallen is coming on February 21st to Europe too! Looks like a sure buy for me!

No Western release for SB4. SB has been mostly Japan-only except for SB1 and SB3, neither of which did well.

Top Bottom