• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

OniBaka

Apparently the OG PS4 version of RE7 does not look good. Don't you dare pull something like this with DMC5 Capcom.

Looked fine when I played the beginning hour on OG PS4, I can only assume it will look better on the full game but I only have pro now.

I'll be fine if DMC5 graphics were similar to NieR.

Looked fine when I played the beginning hour on OG PS4, I can only assume it will look better on the full game but I only have pro now.

I'll be fine if DMC5 graphics were similar to NieR.
The initial beginning hour (the only one that I played) looked okay, but this video was very bad. Finger crossed that they can improve on the IQ with updates down the line.

As for the graphics for DMC5, I guess it depends on how big it is and how it is designed (structure wise). If it's linear like past entries then I expect it to look good. But if it's more open and have hub-like environments then I would be satisfied with NieR-like visuals.

EVO 2017 (fighting game tournament) has a players choice category and the game with the most donations is put in the tournament. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is one of the choices.
I see. Thanks for the answer. Not really interested in EVO so I didn't know about that.

Dahbomb

I already did two donations of $100 each. Marvel 3 is in the lead now, I will probably donate again on the last day and it will be bigger sizes.

Also any amount helps and matters. Don't get discouraged, it's actually pretty close all around.

Sesha

I donated $2 for Mahvel 3, even though those cheeky buggers at Generosity asked for an additional 2 bucks in fees. I'll just avoid buying a couple of small things to make up for it.

Ah, I see then. What a shame though, the game looks like fun, even if I'm not sure if I'm willing to consult online guides for crafting etc.

Playing games in Japanese is easier then one would assume. I played and completed Xenosaga 3 and FF12 in Japanese back in 2006 or 2007, and that was only after about a year of studying Japanese at a basic level.

Sesha

Capcom was doing better financially in 2015-16 than they were in 2013-14. SFV, DR4 and RE7 all started development around 2013-14. So if Itsuno started development sometime in 2015 then hopefully DMC5 will have a bigger budget than it would have had if they started development earlier.

138 days until E3. The wait is hopefully almost over.

Resident evil managed to make a comeback imo... this gives me hope for DMC5 quality, especially with Itsuno at the helm

You can tell they took time off to think about where series should head and they believed in that vision. Pretty sure the DMC team is doing the same. Hopefully it ends up being great.

Dahbomb

Yeah it seems like the RE team was able to do what they wanted to do and deliver a game that gamers of today's age are enjoying.

Curious to see what happens with REmake 2. That has me hyped up.

Speaking of RE, it would be cool if DMC could get just one CG/anime movie. Bayonetta even had one (though I heard bad things about it).

So long as the game isn't dependent on it, I'd be down for another (good) anime/movie. The loose structure of the universe lends itself really well for these things, and the premise of a half-human mercenary hunting demons...How did they fuck it up the first time?

Sesha

I just saw a video on bows in video games, and it got me thinking. If a future game has a bow as a weapon, would you want it to be a Devil Arm or a firearm? I'm not sure if I have a personal preference, although there's certainly more more that could be done with a Devil Arm.

You can tell they took time off to think about where series should head and they believed in that vision. Pretty sure the DMC team is doing the same. Hopefully it ends up being great.

Not only that, but Capcom seems to be willing to experiment with their franchises to a limited extent. Perhaps as a side effect of their economic situation. Where smaller budgets means a smaller scale and less risk, but which makes it safer to experiment. Sometimes it can work out (RE7) and sometimes it doesn't (SFV, DR4). Maybe I'm speculating blindly and drawing conclusions where none are. But it'll be interesting to see what they do with DMC5 at any rate.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just saw a video on bows in video games, and it got me thinking. If a future game has a bow as a weapon, would you want it to be a Devil Arm or a firearm? I'm not sure if I have a personal preference, although there's certainly more more that could be done with a Devil Arm.

Id personally prefer to see a bow hydrid Devil Arm that functions as both bow and another weapon like a polearm, or separates into tonfas... Sort of similar to Kung Jin from MKX, and how Nevan was both a long range guitar and scythe hybrid. I think it opens up a lot of options and creative flexibility.

Something I've just thought of-

I think in DMCV styles can change to behave like stances in Nioh. Not to have one button do something different, but maybe change the parameters of certain abilities like having more dashes or melee weapons do more damage. Obviously your combos and the abilities you can perform differs from styles.

Also, more and more I wonder if having only a single melee button a good idea... Sure it gives the series something unique but it feels like it's also limiting itself.

dohdough

After playing FF15 and Fallout 4, I realized that I'm tired of rpg's and fps'. I need a true character action game like DMC to really satisfy me. All I need is DMC, Bayonetta, Revengeance, and Onimusha to make me a happy gamer and it absolutely kills me that we'll only see DMC again.

After playing FF15 and Fallout 4, I realized that I'm tired of rpg's and fps'. I need a true character action game like DMC to really satisfy me. All I need is DMC, Bayonetta, Revengeance, and Onimusha to make me a happy gamer and it absolutely kills me that we'll only see DMC again.

If we're lucky this could be Kamiya's next project since Scalebound got cancelled.

Id personally prefer to see a bow hydrid Devil Arm that functions as both bow and another weapon like a polearm, or separates into tonfas... Sort of similar to Kung Jin from MKX, and how Nevan was both a long range guitar and scythe hybrid. I think it opens up a lot of options and creative flexibility.
Bow/double naginata makes the most sense visually, IMO.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Capcom's fiscal report is out. I'll pore over it a bit later, but it looks like DMC HD Collection sold another 100,000 (it's now at 1.1 million on the Platinum list).

9th anniversary combo vid for dmc4 got released. large range of skill in there- lots of contributors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl0JlxSpBTo&feature=youtu.be

i've got 3 combos in there but it's a pretty lengthy vid, haha

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing! I wish they showed the contributor for the combos, but I think I can guess a few of these being yours. :p

Capcom's fiscal report is out. I'll pore over it a bit later, but it looks like DMC HD Collection sold another 100,000 (it's now at 1.1 million on the Platinum list).

They need to port it to PS4 already.
So long as the game isn't dependent on it, I'd be down for another (good) anime/movie. The loose structure of the universe lends itself really well for these things, and the premise of a half-human mercenary hunting demons...How did they fuck it up the first time?
I wouldn't necessarily be surprised to see DMC5 get a (low budget) tie-in animated movie to sort of catch people up on the plot and set the stage for wherever it's going to go. I don't think that worked out super well for FFXV but for DMC in particular it'd be helpful to straighten out what the canon is for people and where the status quo lies, et cetera.

They need to port it to PS4 already.
And put in a package alongside 4SE and DE.

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised to see DMC5 get a (low budget) tie-in animated movie to sort of catch people up on the plot and set the stage for wherever it's going to go. I don't think that worked out super well for FFXV but for DMC in particular it'd be helpful to straighten out what the canon is for people and where the status quo lies, et cetera.
Though I wouldn't mind seeing another anime that actually expands on the world this time around, I don't think they should look at XV for anything story related. The story and the way it was presented in XV was an absolute mess.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Latest sales numbers by title:

K1Q8ovz.jpg

Sesha

There's no real reason to buy the PS360 versions unless you only own either console and don't even have a decent PC. Capcom fucked up by not putting DmC DE on Steam.

Sesha

Someone made a DMC3SE graphics mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYRD33W5dc4

It promises the following features:

Ambient Occlusion (SSAO)
Ambient Light
HDR
Bloom
FXAA
SMAA
LumaSharpen
Vibrance
ColorCorrection (Filmic Curve - Technicolor - Colormod)

I haven't tested it yet, so I can't vouch for anything other than that the Technicolor effect and bloom looks wrong.

haha, yeah. they're not too hard to spot but i ended up uploadin' them on my own channel anyways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_weUcc5xks

definitely not 100% what i wanted and quite sloppy but they're still cute, i think

I didn't catch your combos on watching the 9th anniversary vid the first time, so thanks for sharing them anyway. There's no doubt you're still the best Trish player.

Dahbomb

What DMC3 needs more is better textures all around. Most of those new effects just lower what atmosphere was in the game to begin with.

It's no DMC/Bayo, but man, you guys are really missing out here.
xDQ8F7Y.gif

Seriously guys, the game is out of stock in almost every big retailer so it's not about selling the game anymore. It's a legit fun and deep 3D brawler game. Even if you can't get it right now, make sure to pick it up down the line. There are tons of things that you can mess around with in the combat.

What DMC3 needs more is better textures all around. Most of those new effects just lower what atmosphere was in the game to begin with.
This is also one further reason I hope DMC5 is composed of dozens and dozens of mini-missions: I want DMC3 enemies and weapons and bosses ported to it (same with DMC1 and DMC4) and I'd love to be able to do the classic Temen-ni-Gru Vergil battle with PS4 level graphics.

I don't ever expect a full remake of the game to happen (and I'd prefer new DMC games anyway) so that much would be ideal. Better textures if they re-port the 123HD collection would be great, though, of course.

And yeah, the mod looks awful IMO.

xDQ8F7Y.gif

Seriously guys, the game is out of stock in almost every big retailer so it's not about selling the game anymore. It's a legit fun and deep 3D brawler game. Even if you can't get it right now, make sure to pick it up down the line. There are tons of things that you can mess around with in the combat.
I'd just play god hand instead..

Dahbomb

xDQ8F7Y.gif

QTEs and a bunch of slow mo. Nah man.

I'd just play god hand instead..
You can play both... they are both pretty unique.

QTEs and a bunch of slow mo. Nah man.
This is just me messing around with some of the stuff, pretty early in the game. Slow-mo is bummer but you can use it in interesting ways. You can also do a lot of things in each style without even getting the slow-motion effect.

And there is no QTE during normal fights. The finishing move in the end happens cause I have met a certain conditions (Brawler style + 3 heat bars + grabbing enemy near a metal fence) but I still could've easily not use it.

354cUmvf3.gif

Edit: I should probably do a combo video for this game once I've finished it and have gotten used to all of the moves and abilities. Right now, I just have these gifs from pretty early in the game and they are not really doing it justice. For instance, in the above gif I could've easily thrown the motorcycle before doing the last hit in the combo but I wasn't accustomed to Kiryu's move-set with this weapon at the time, so I did an extra pointless attack that broke the flow of combat.

Kaztinka

surprised no one went nuts over "Ethan must die" mode in RE7

xDQ8F7Y.gif

probably gonna get it after Nioh
and For Honor
and Nier Automata....
fuck!

Sesha

One of my friends has decided to buy Y0, SoS. I'm not gonna, though. It's not high enough priority for me, and even if it was, I can't afford it, nor will I have time to play. I'm gonna have to pass. Sorry. Maybe in, like, a year.

This is also one further reason I hope DMC5 is composed of dozens and dozens of mini-missions: I want DMC3 enemies and weapons and bosses ported to it (same with DMC1 and DMC4) and I'd love to be able to do the classic Temen-ni-Gru Vergil battle with PS4 level graphics.

That's doable with a NG2 Mission Mode/Bayonetta 2 Tag Climax-style mode.

Top Bottom