• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker |OT| at Last

BlackJace

Took forever in line.

lol so I forgot how weird and varied the main character's responses can be.

And the volume of the battle BGM is disappointingly low, even with headphones... Maybe that's the fault of the 3DS though.

L95

It's been forever since I've played the original, so idk if that was always there, but I swear the hit sfx in fights is too loud compared to the other sounds :c

Took forever in line.

lol so I forgot how weird and varied the main character's responses can be.

And the volume of the battle BGM is disappointingly low, even with headphones... Maybe that's the fault of the 3DS though.

Was same with DeSu 1 at least this one lets you increase volume of voices.

Got the game. Glad to see the protagonist can still be as much of a goofball as ever. Gonna go for
Al Saiduq's
ending before I start the new stuff.

Got a few hours in so far. Aside from certain boobs looking weird, this is some really good shit. Looking forward to playing more.

tumblr_mxmm0rVaso1t4gbcqo1_500.jpg
(The other requisite Devil Survivor 2 picture)

Xenoflare

Let's play the "Hey it's that voice!"

So far I can only tell that Io is probably Lauren Landa. Makoto sounds like PQ Naoto (Valarie Arem)

Joe sounds like Yosuke :/

So I have the original DS version and never played. Is the original mainline story in this any different at all? Gameplay improvements or anything? Or are all the changes based on adding the new storyline and voicework and stuff?

I'm trying to figure out if I should just play the DS version, or get this one and go for the whole deal.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Anyone know what font they're using in this game? I can't for the life of me find a perfect match...

Majestad

Banned
So I have the original DS version and never played. Is the original mainline story in this any different at all? Gameplay improvements or anything? Or are all the changes based on adding the new storyline and voicework and stuff?

I'm trying to figure out if I should just play the DS version, or get this one and go for the whole deal.

Read the OP.

Read the OP.

I know that, but I'm specifically talking about gameplay tweaks, things like any additional conveniences to demon auction/fusing, rebalancing of skills or stats, etc. that make the game just play better in general. I didn't see much in the way of that in the OP section on new features, so I was hoping for confirmation in that regard

I know that, but I'm specifically talking about gameplay tweaks, things like any additional conveniences to demon auction/fusing, rebalancing of skills or stats, etc. that make the game just play better in general. I didn't see much in the way of that in the OP section on new features, so I was hoping for confirmation in that regard

There's the spotpass and DLC stuff, which affects the original game as well. Besides that, I don't know of any balance changes.

Ronin Ray

I am stuck on the last boss in the first game. I made so many mistakes learning the shin megami tensei rules. Hopefully I do better in all my future shin megami tensei experiences

Gears

So is the game going for more of a comical approach with the characters? I think I'd like that for once instead of everyone being edgy. Though I do enjoy the edgy ones too

So is the game going for more of a comical approach with the characters? I think I'd like that for once instead of everyone being edgy. Though I do enjoy the edgy ones too

In many ways, this game is way more light hearted than the first game. Theres moments of seriousness but for the most part theres a lot of levity weirdly enough. Lots of messed up shit happens but the game never really explores the full ramifications of the apocalyptic setting like the first game did. In many ways its similar to the tonal differences between Personas 3 and 4.

Majukun

man,after the first game the story of this one was such a disappointment...but the gameplay is still really good if i remember correctly,this series is probably the one i prefer the most between the SMT games

Tom_Cody

The producer is Shinjiro Takada. He worked on some of the Langrisser and Growlanser games, no Fire Emblems as far as I can find.
Ok, I had jumbled things around in my dead. He work on those series and he is now working on Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem.

I don't believe it is a more comical approach, but the response selections are much more lighter than the first one or other games SMT games.

For anyone that overlooked the first one. Please try this one. It is truly amazing and quite a gem. I am glad this came out.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I love skill cracking. Very satisfying, some of my favourite parts in the Devil survivor games.

Damnit, I said I wouldn't but I ended up buying this after seeing the beautiful packaging. I already beat the original story on my DS so I think I'm just going to start from the triangulum arc.

My copy surprisingly came today! It wasn't supposed to arrive till Saturday. Thank you BestBuy!
Can't wait to start this up, a bit busy these next couple of days but will definitely try to start it up by the weekend.

kunonabi

I am stuck on the last boss in the first game. I made so many mistakes learning the shin megami tensei rules. Hopefully I do better in all my future shin megami tensei experiences

That last boss was something else. I was down to just my MC who would have died with one more attack and I managed to get the final blow with my weakest attack moments before he wiped me out. I'm not sure I would have even a tried a second time if I had lost that battle.

So- comparabled to desu1- is this game sadistic to depressing levels like that one was at times?

If you mean gameplay; There is a ton of variety in the sheer nonsense and unreasonable odds they'll start throwing at you the deeper you go in. Spoilers for one of the final bosses:
There is a boss that has a skill called "Null-Human"

Story-wise; The game isn't as overbearing with the making you feel like shit thing (assuming you manage to save everyone and don't let anyone die) as DeSu1 was. But it won't pull any punches.

Tried the Wal-mart, Best Buy, and EB Games at my local mall, but none had it. :( Have to go to another EB Games tomorrow, which I know has in stock but wasn't in the area today.

Soulflarz

Banned
If you mean gameplay; There is a ton of variety in the sheer nonsense and unreasonable odds they'll start throwing at you the deeper you go in. Spoilers for one of the final bosses:
There is a boss that has a skill called "Null-Human"

Story-wise; The game isn't as overbearing with the making you feel like shit thing (assuming you manage to save everyone and don't let anyone die) as DeSu1 was. But it won't pull any punches.

Oh okay. Yeah, the inevitable idea of screwing over SOMEONE always in desu1 felt bad.

AND OH JOY.

I made my friend agree to get this as his first smt. He must know our pain :3

Hacker girl. I was fighting her with mediocre teams. Leveled teammates to 12 and MC to 15. I could actually kill her very easily at 10, its just the adds.

I'm at this battle now. Had my first game over. Trying again. Don't think my party is at the same level.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm at this battle now. Had my first game over. Trying again. Don't think my party is at the same level.

I mean, for story missions, you may want to just kill the middle enemy, acknowledging 50% exp isnt that bad considering free battles will make it up down the line.

Hilariously, I just roadkilled the day 2 boss after getting stuck on that fight you're doing. Just go level up a little :3 Maybe grab some new demons?

Velcro Fly

Starting this right now, as if I don't have a ton of other games I'm also playing. Have high hopes for the game though. Going to do my best to stick with Apocalypse difficulty

Would it have given me a game over if I
had wanted to give up on life?
I was too squeamish to do that to myself :(

BlackJace

Starting this right now, as if I don't have a ton of other games I'm also playing. Have high hopes for the game though. Going to do my best to stick with Apocalypse difficulty

Would it have given me a game over if I
had wanted to give up on life?
I was too squeamish to do that to myself :(

lol yup, first thing I tried. MC don't want any of this bullshit.

ohlawd

going physical or magic is viable. not mixed tho. you got your other members for that, I guess

the original DS1 and 2 weren't that bad. unless you're strapped for time amd just wanna speedrun, you should stick with Apocalypse

Soulflarz

Banned
going physical or magic is viable. not mixed tho. you got your other members for that, I guess

the original DS1 and 2 weren't that bad. unless you're strapped for time amd just wanna speedrun, you should stick with Apocalypse

DeSu1 could be very unforgiving if you werent set up for the situation/you were underleveled and didnt want to grind a lot.

On day 3, just did
the optional battle against ghost q in the morning. He ran away after I massacred his minions in a 1v1, which brought me from a 17 to a 19

So yeah, start of day 3 and level 19 with 18 teammates, I'm happy with my levels :3

Did it first try but I lost two of my teams and was running out of mojo with the two remaining ones. Definitely going to go do some free battles now before continuing with the story.

spiritfox

DS1 has Baldr.

Soulflarz

Banned
DS1 has Baldr.

And it was my first SMT.
Let me put that into plain english- I went a slightly str build and kept my other stats decently balanced.

Thats literally signing my own funeral.
On that note, SMT is kind of obnoxious, because going into one blind I dont think one would reasonably assume to do otherwise (because with the exception of luck, why would I completely ignore something!)
But whatever, I've played a half dozen now, so I guess I now don't even think about it?

But yeah, with DeSu1 having weird things like physical reflect as common things...the game screwed you over.
It's not like "pierce resist" and you can use a diff type- they basically ruined your entire build :/
Also some obnoxiously powerful bosses.

I wanted to like DeSu1, but it was simply too cruel for going in blind.

Top Bottom