• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker |OT| at Last

LegendX48

Is this on par with the first game? Loved the first despite not liking the genre and just paid off my pre-order for this one.

Cleve

I completely forgot this was coming out. Guess I'll stop by the store after work. I really liked the first remake on 3ds.

Got a $50 eShop card for my birthday that I wanted specifically for this game. Will download tomorrow.

Liked Overclocked but never played 2 because I was waiting for a 3DS remake. It has finally come. Finally. Fucking finally.

Vamphuntr

The DLC for it seems rather gross. Here's a map with free money, here's one with all the skills and another one with free XP. Really.

Nachos

So based on the description, would it be correct of me to assume the new arc takes place after the anguished one's route? Or I guess maybe the secret version of the ending where you reset time?
Spoilers for the end of the first scenario:
The new scenario is based on a mix of Saiduq's Kingmaker ending and Daichi's Triumphant
ending (his full ending).

The new scenario is based on a mix of Saiduq's Kingmaker ending and Daichi's Triumphant

Yeah, looked it up. Honestly, though, based on the description, it could still be canon with the Saiduq route given that the decision to rewind the akashic record could have happened after the new world was created once they realized how fucked the world would be without doing so

Ondore

The DLC for it seems rather gross. Here's a map with free money, here's one with all the skills and another one with free XP. Really.

It's something different than the Free Battles, though I can understand the trepidation considering this is already a $50/$60 game. I had access to it and didn't use it all that much, though.

(Disclaimer: I reviewed the game for Nintendo World Report - 8/10)

cj_iwakura

Not familiar with Daichi's. Figured it would've been based off the Yamato/Law ending. At least we get the Saiduq one.

Hubb

Well, they are optional. Be as gross as you want and don't knock the people that wish to partake.

Kazerei

Banned
After playing DS1 Overclocked, it was kinda hard to then play the original DS2 because of the ugly, tiny font.

I'm also really looking forward to having multiple save slots!

Is this on par with the first game? Loved the first despite not liking the genre and just paid off my pre-order for this one.

I'd say better in terms of gameplay, worse in terms of story/characters.

I figured there'd be no dual audio based on Overclock, but still pretty bummed out about it, since I absolutely love the Japanese cast for AO, Yamato, Fumi, and Keita.

Will definitely get this when it goes on sale. Love customizing demons.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Yay, been playing this all day. Love it.

At Last indeed.

vall03

Do we still have the Grade store for New Game+? I goddamn hate that system, I just want to carry over everything not a select few. Was planning to skip it but there's an easy mode so I might play it again, although the original difficulty was never a problem.

MikeDip

Do we still have the Grade store for New Game+? I goddamn hate that system, I just want to carry over everything not a select few. Was planning to skip it but there's an easy mode so I might play it again, although the original difficulty was never a problem.

I hope so (and think so)

The grade store is awesome.

Nintendo Life wrote this:

New content isn't the only thing added for Devil Survivor 2's 3DS début. The translation's had a touch-up, every event is now both fully voiced and skippable (excellent for replays and reloading save files)

does this mean that I can finally skip whole events instead of fast forwarding text? This was a serious problem for me in the original DS games and Overclocked. I'd be thrilled if they fixed this.

An-Det

Looks like my copy is ready to be picked up tomorrow at Best Buy. Between gcu and the remains of a gift card it only cost about a dollar, so all the better. Glad it seems to have turned out well after the long wait.

Hikami

Nintendo Life wrote this:

does this mean that I can finally skip whole events instead of fast forwarding text? This was a serious problem for me in the original DS games and Overclocked. I'd be thrilled if they fixed this.
settings say message skip is R + Y
just tried it now and nope, only fast forwards the text. don't see any other option to skip the whole event

MikeDip

Anyone know what the day one v1.1 patch actually patched? I downloaded it but it didn't really say anything. Maybe just a prepper to dlc?

Nudull

Banned
I got burned by the original DS2's difficulty (and this is from someone who loved DS1 and Overclocked), and I didn't feel that 2's story was compelling enough to soldier on, but it sounds like Record Breaker's made some genuine improvements. I may give it a shot.

Thoraxes

It's been a long what, 3 years since the initial announcement and "delay"?

It's about time. Picking up my copy tomorrow.

BestBuy shipped my copy this morning, probably won't get it till end of the week, but I am looking forward to it.
At last indeed!

Amazon shipped my physical copy a few hours ago. I wish I could transfer my save from digital to cart copy of the game to save space on my memory card lol. Either way great OT. Can't wait to get tico tico on my laptop :3

I got free shipping from Amazon so I wont be getting my copy for another few days but I'm actually OK with that. I actually don't plan to play this for quite awhile because I already beat the original on DS and have quite a few other games stealing my attention at the moment.

None the less I'm super excited for this because I love the Devil Survivor series. I played the hell out of Overclocked, even more so then the original, so I cant wait to do the same for Record Breaker.

I personally loved just about everything about DS2 over DS1, especially the character designs. Only thing slightly weaker is the story because it is kind of similar to the first one.

Bardiche

My copy shipped today as well.
I am one of the few that feels that this is better than the original; I don't know, the characters, storyline, and the music is far superior IMO.
I don't know if I could play this for a while though since I've just started Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

random25

On the overall package, no doubt DS2 is better than the original. Larger compendium, additional post-game content and little more interaction between the cast are some of the improvements added to DS2. But I prefer DS1 on the story part and the branching paths, so each game on the Devil Survivor Series have their own selling points.

That said, can't wait to play the new story added to Record Breaker.

MikeDip

The game is better than I remembered it ever was. Loving every second.

I loved DS1 for that story and everything it did, but something about this game always seems to grab me. I don't like it better, but then sometimes I do? I don't know.

yea, this definitely pushed me to wait even longer before buying. godmode + paytowin pushed the game into cheap experience territory.

This is a single player game. If you want to play on Apocalyptic you're free to do so and to ignore the DLC and you'll literally be harmed in no way at all. Its not like there's an online leaderboard showing who beat the game fastest or with fewest deaths. There's not even any special content in the DLC (unlike SMT IV), the extra demons are Spotpass not DLC.

Joqu

I'm looking forward to some impressions, I held out on buying DeSu 2 because of this! Can't wait until Autumn 2015 haha... :l

Hooray
is what I'd say if I wasn't in Europe.
What was the reason for the retranslated script, just tidying things up so it reads better with the voices?
Wait. They re-translated the script? Why? What did they change?

Overclocked was re-translated too. Yeah, I think it's because they had to fully voice it now and they felt like certain things wouldn't work well said out loud. From the comparisons I've seen I tend to prefer DeSu 1's original script though, but it's not that big of a deal.

MikeDip

Taking things slow. Just beat the first boss. I love Joe.

Top Bottom