• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF article GTA V - X360 vs PS3

omonimo

Banned
the texture thing is a glitch, this should easily get fixed on the 360 with a title update.

Will be interesting to see if DF revisits after the eventual title updates to see the differences.

There's a few others mentioned in the article though they're not as big ..

- 360 has better reflection on indoor mirrors
- 360 has better frame rate in in-engine scenes.
- PS3 can randomly pull out more frames in action scenes, it flip flops on either.

... I don't call it exactly a glitch.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
This is an issue when played from either disc or HDD install.

It's simply the case that some 360 ground textures don't ever load in to the same quality as PS3 during cut-scenes, and those directly in front of the player when standing still.

It's often obvious how mushy the 360 textures are while playing.
It can often look really bad:
amarec20130917-112938r7snx.png

Disappointing, hope it can be fixed.

I hope they just forgot to enable anisotropic filtering.

Zornack

Then you don't understand at all. Read it again, it's pretty clear.

Both discs installed = great difference, large streaming issue for the 360.

One disc installed = small difference, pretty much the same, but PS3 still has better ground textures.

Vire

This is an issue when played from either disc or HDD install.

It's simply the case that some 360 ground textures don't ever load in to the same quality as PS3 during cut-scenes, and those directly in front of the player when standing still.

If that is the case, why would you write this?

Running straight from disc, then, there's little to distinguish the PS3 and 360 releases when it comes to environmental detail

Simply put, having both discs installed to the 360's HDD appears to create a bottleneck for the engine as it attempts to draw these assets from the same source, but playing straight from disc gives us comparable results to PS3.

You should revise your article as it is rather poorly written.

Krilekk

Banned
OK I'm confused...at the end of the article he said this:

So are the streaming issues fixed with playing from the disc as R* suggested or not? o_O

Sure looks like they didn't rework the whole article after receiving word yesterday about how to fix streaming issues. Installing Disk 1 in HDD and Disk 2 on USB seems to beat every other solution. No streaming issues for me.

nib95

Banned
Then you don't understand at all. Read it again, it's pretty clear.

I think you're confusing texture streaming issues (which happen even without the install of the second disk, and instead simply with the mandatory install of disk 1 alone) with the issues that occur with the install of disc 2, which cause additional issues such as "the frequency of geometry and texture pop-in during quickly-cut cinematics". I think the latter is what is sorted out playing from the disc, whilst the texture streaming issues are there regardless.

Metfanant

You should revise your article as it is rather poorly written.

its actually written just fine and quite easy to understand...you're just confusing two different things...

1. The blurry ground textures: Worse on the 360...does not matter if you install disc two or not...PS3 better...no way to avoid it

2. Geometry/texture pop-in: Happens when you install disc 2 to the 360's HDD...you can avoid this by not installing disc 2 to the HDD...or APPARENTLY by installing it to a USB drive...basically as long as disc 1 and disc 2 are not installed in the same spot...

Vire

its actually written just fine and quite easy to understand...you're just confusing two different things...

1. The blurry ground textures: Worse on the 360...does not matter if you install disc two or not...PS3 better...no way to avoid it

2. Geometry/texture pop-in: Happens when you install disc 2 to the 360's HDD...you can avoid this by not installing disc 2 to the HDD...or APPARENTLY by installing it to a USB drive...basically as long as disc 1 and disc 2 are not installed in the same spot...

The article cites that environmental detail (twice in the article) is comparable on both versions, when it clearly isn't the case.

From what you are describing, they are not comparable, one is clearly superior than the other. I'm sorry, it's very poorly worded.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
dark10x said:
the image was full of severe dithering which kind of ruined the visuals.
Given the amount of shadow judder, LOD pop and other nasty IQ problems that title had (and I'm talking about running PC version maxed out here), resolution was the least of its issues.
GTA5 so far seems to be a lot more - visually-stable experience from what I've seen on PS3 (albeit I still don't care much for the visuals tbh).

Feindflug

It looks like complete absence of any form of AF which is weird since RDR on 360 had a good amount of AF...so maybe the 360 version has no texture filtering at all AND streaming issues on top of that?

This is like last gen levels of texture blurriness right there and it looks really really bad...between this and the streaming assets problems on the 360 version I think it's pretty clear that the PS3 was the lead platform this time around.

Billen

Banned
Dips to 20 while driving in the city? That sounds horrendous. While I am very impressed with the looks of this game considering the aging hardware, dips to 20 frames per second is just horrible.

Zornack

The article cites that environmental detail (twice in the article) is comparable on both versions, when it clearly isn't the case.

From what you are describing, they are not comparable, one is clearly superior than the other. I'm sorry, it's very poorly worded.

Comparable does not mean exactly the same, it means comparable, which they are. They are very close. If you install disc two they're not close at all, the PS3 preforms much better, but when only disc one is installed they are comparable... but the PS3 version is still slightly better.

And anyways below the picture of the ground texture issue is this:

The biggest contrast between the PS3 and 360 versions is the blurred ground textures on Microsoft's platform. Regardless of whether disc two is installed via the Xbox dash, the textures in front of the lead character suffer from a filtered look.

skybald

Have a hard time taking Digital Foundry seriously since the bullshit pieces they have been publishing recently.

However, glad my buddy picked up the PS version for us to play.

kitch9

Banned

After years of shit ports and being told that I'm paying the same money for an inferior product I have to say that selfishly, this pleases me.

omonimo

Banned
Dips to 20 while driving in the city? That sounds horrendous. While I am very impressed with the looks of this game considering the aging hardware, dips to 20 frames per second is just horrible.

It's a free roaming. It's pratically the normality (for this generation).

nib95

Banned
I'm with Vire on this. I get what they were saying, but I had to double take. I also think it's poorly written and should be re-worded or formatted to be more clear. It's not immediately clear that the author does not include texture streaming issues in his use of the term "environmental details", which he is using to refer only to the pop in and other issues that can be avoided by not installing the second disk.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
After years of shit ports and being told that I'm paying the same money for an inferior product I have to say that selfishly, this pleases me.

He was obviously joking.

javac

I went for the PS3 version on the grounds that I didn't have Gold for online. Both however seem to be good overall.

at the end of the day it's choosing the lesser bad version if you have to play it now. that's why i hold out for the PC/PS4 one.

i saw both version live and i wouldn't want to play either.

Vire

I'm with Vire on this. I get what they were saying, but I had to double take. I also think it's poorly written and should be re-worded or formatted to be more clear. It's not immediately clear that the author does not include texture streaming issues in his use of the term "environmental details", which he is using to refer only to the pop in and other issues that can be avoided by not installing the second disk.

Thank you.

Also, did they run a test on the PSN version that is completely installed to the hard drive? Hopefully that doesn't suffer from similar issues. :(

I'm so ready for this generation to be over.

Hanmik

Thank you.

Also, did they run a test on the PSN version that is completely installed to the hard drive? Hopefully that doesn't suffer from similar issues. :(

no... retail versions only.

Metfanant

No, lol...youre really just missing the point...

yes, environmental detail is almost completely the same on both versions...pixel for pixel nothing is scaled back on either console...HOWEVER there are two small issues with the 360 version...

1. There seems to be a bug/glitch/something that causes ground textures further away from the character to be blurry...

2. IF...IF!! you install disc 2 to the HDD then you will get some geometry/texture pop in because youre messing with the streaming that R* has built into their engine...

the PS3 has its own set of disadvantages (reflections of indoor mirrors, SLIGHTLY lower overall framerate, less voluptuous palm trees)

nib95

Banned
Thank you.

You and me both dude. As much as I think the game looks beautiful in videos, is really pushing the systems, and will no doubt be spectacularly fun, looking at DF's screen gave me an eye sore. After spending the last few months pixel peeping next gen screens and videos, I just realised how much better they were in terms of IQ and resolution compared to current gen. Next gen can't come soon enough!

And no, states on the left they used retail versions only.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Isn't all this a bit premature without GTA V Online performance comparisons? Or is that accounted for already?

Vire

No, lol...youre really just missing the point...

yes, environmental detail is almost completely the same on both versions...pixel for pixel nothing is scaled back on either console...HOWEVER there are two small issues with the 360 version...

1. There seems to be a bug/glitch/something that causes ground textures further away from the character to be blurry...

2. IF...IF!! you install disc 2 to the HDD then you will get some geometry/texture pop in because youre messing with the streaming that R* has built into their engine...

the PS3 has its own set of disadvantages (reflections of indoor mirrors, SLIGHTLY lower overall framerate, less voluptuous palm trees)

Based on what I have bolded, then environmental detail is not almost completely the same. I understand what you are saying, but if ground textures away from the character are blurry, than it is not the same. Or remotely similar.

This is semantics at this point and it is silly to argue, I stand by what I said, it's a poorly written article.

Top Bottom