• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF article GTA V - X360 vs PS3

Do you REALLY think all the games that'll come out on this coming "next generation" will be rock solid 30/60 FPS ?

This is what happens when you push closed/fixed old, out dated hardware to it's absolute limits. Something's gotta give.
Soul Calibur had 60 FPS and it came out 14 years ago.

Your nuts. The Nextgen version will be a relatively easy port from the PC version. That's the beautiful thing about the next gen console architecture(particularly the PS4's)

It wouldn't surprise me if the PC/PS4 version of GTA5 was out by March 2014

Well they haven't announced a PC version but I'm sure that will at least happen. As far as easy goes with next gen, in theory, you are right but I'm not so sure it will be as smooth sailing when put into practice! It still takes time and money and I think people are not going to buy it at the same price 6-8 months later. I don't believe they have been working on a next gen version as some people have rumoured because obviously their focus has been on the 360 and PS3.

Vire

please elaborate..? texture nonsense..?

I mean the lack of anisotropic filtering that was mentioned in the Digital Foundry analysis that causes textures to look blurrier at a distance on the 360.
Soul Calibur had 60 FPS and it came out 14 years ago.

Really?...

Call of Duty is 60 FPS this generation as well, that doesn't mean that it didn't come at great sacrifices.

When will people realise it's not happening!!

If you understood in game development time x cost strategy plans, it's not financially viable. They are currently not in the works for a next gen version and it will take them the best part of 8 months from now if they decided tomorrow and by then the game would have lost it's new game value. It's not a matter of hitting a convert button. It's not a considered decision from a profitable business standpoint!
LOLWAT. The "next-gen" (PC) version has been in development for more than a year. They've had One and PS4 devkits for months.

Hanmik

I mean the lack of anisotropic filtering that was mentioned in the Digital Foundry analysis that causes textures to look blurrier at a distance on the 360.

distance..?

article said:
However, it's apparent that the PS3 version has an undeniable advantage in one area: even to the naked eye, ground textures on 360 are blurred as a result of what appears to be unoptimised asset streaming. Glitch or not, this basically amounts to concrete and grass textures appearing fuzzier beneath the feet of Trevor, Michael or Franklin, while the PS3 version's remain crystal clear

Vire

distance..?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering

Anisotropic_compare.png

I'm sad. I honestly got this for the graphics and it's not the best it could be :<

Nothing made by humans is ever the best it could be.

You done good rockstar, I shall repay your effort by double dipping if it comes to next gen ;)

I really didn't like GTA IV, but I'm falling for this thing all over again. It's hard to resist such a huge budget. Hopefully they'll do a female version of Ballad of Gay Tony for the next DLC though ...

I know the memory thing is overplayed, but stretching the ps3 ram so far makes me wonder what rockstar have planned for next gen, since fast memory is beneficial to open world games.

nkarafo

GTA 4 was nearly unplayable for me on 360 because of the low frame rate. So, all i care for is for GTA5 to be smoother than that. DF article shows a 25-26fps average. Is that smoother than GTA4 or the same? If its the same i'll pass.

:/

Well I had both versions pre-ordered and I went with the 360 version.

If anyone wants to buy my 360 version off me just PM me.

Vire

but THIS article isn´t talking about distance is it..?

beneath the feet..

I'm not sure why you are arguing this point, all I said was that the framerate was more consistent on the 360 if you want to put up with texture filtering issues.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Are you somehow confusing the huge open and seamless world of GTA V to a corridor shooter type game?

Pretty sure Soul Calibur is a fighter, and not a corridor shooter :p Not that it makes any difference in the argument lol.

GTA V is absolutely stretching the resources of the PS3 and 360. Nothing short of a technical accomplishment.

Umm I think I won't be buying GTA V anyway but one question out of curiosity to classic PS3 owners should I change my mind: If Rockstar used the PS3's potential this well is GTA V another case like The Last of Us where you have to fear to get a YLOD with a phat PS3 since it starts to sound much louder than normal? :(

Vire

GTA 4 was nearly unplayable for me on 360 because of the low frame rate. So, all i care for is for GTA5 to be smoother than that. DF article shows a 25-26fps average. Is that smoother than GTA4 or the same? If its the same i'll pass.

It's pretty much the same as it was before. It may appear slightly smoother, as GTA 4 had an uncapped framerate which allowed it fluctuate above 30 fps, giving the appearance of constant drastic changes.

Controller latency has also been significantly improved from what they say.

Pretty sure Soul Calibur is a fighter, and not a corridor shooter :p Not that it makes any difference in the argument lol.

GTA V is absolutely stretching the resources of the PS3 and 360. Nothing short of a technical accomplishment.

I wasn't talking about Soul Calibur specifically rather the logic that GTA V should be 60 fps like Soul Calibur or like Call of Duty.

It just seems to me that Rockstar sacrificed frame rate for native 720p and IQ, i don't see anything wrong with it. If the game was sub 720p, people would've been complaining about the low resolution even if the performance was solid.

Ploid 3.0

Got the PSN version. Not noticing pop up but maybe because of the frame rate stuff and being used to 60fps. Very playable though, good to hear both versions are good enough that you can't go wrong with whatever you pick.

Vire

Framerate never bothered my that much unless I can check my watch between frames. It simply doesn't bother me while I'm playing a game. Low res textures however, make me sad.

Well prepare to be sad, because both versions have plenty of them.

nib95

Banned
I'll take frame rate ant day of the week. Seeing a more consistent frame rate on 360 pits that ahead for me

Not exactly. They say the 360 version has a better frame rate in areas, whilst the PS3 version in others. Also states that the 360 version also sometimes suffers from judder when the frame rate goes above 30fps, so it's not that clear cut.

Nymphae

Banned
Well prepare to be sad, because both versions have plenty of them.

The comparison pictures I saw were fine, people complain way too much about anything these days. This game looks better than any GTA ever has. Sounds good to me.

Hanmik

I'm not sure why you are arguing this point, all I said was that the framerate was more consistent on the 360 if you want to put up with texture filtering issues.

I just find it strange that you say the opposite of the article.. they say you will never notice the 1-2 Fps difference, but you will notice the blurry textures, that´s why they say the PS3 version is just slightly better..
But you seem to think otherwise, and try to dismiss the article as poorly written or something..

solarus

Damn why the fuck did I change my order to 360. Rockstar finally decides to make an excellent port with no compromises for ps3 (even max payne 3 still had an edge on 360). Fuck and I have to pay for gold now. I make terrible decisions.

I'll take frame rate ant day of the week. Seeing a more consistent frame rate on 360 pits that ahead for me
For cutscenes, the 360 does have a 2 fps on average advantage but when it comes to in-game gameplay, PS3 holds better in chaotic gang battles.

As per DF
Digital Foundry said:
For unsynchronised play involving cop chases through busier segments of the city, it's common to see drops to 20fps on both platforms as well, though a clear performance leader is hard to parse out here. Trevor's more explosive battles with rival drug dealers in the outback areas also suffer, during which the PS3 seemingly takes an advantage despite the chaotic excess of fire and smokes effects. Ultimately, the variability of this lead shows attention has been duly paid to the strengths of the PS3 architecture, where the difference is practically imperceptible to the naked eye.

Could any 360 owners chime in on how bad the texture issue really is, I don't mind the disc thing since my launch fat ps3 is twenty times louder because of dust embedded within. I'd also prefer the 360 controller and I'd imagine multiplayer is going to be better on live. Are the textures super blurry or is it managable, all of the compression on the streams makes it hard to see.

Well, I didn't notice any blurry textures and I'm sitting like two meters in front of my 60 inch screen. Whenever (if ever) it happens, it must be on such rare occasions that you (most likely) won't notice.

Given the almost non-existent differences, this whole discussion about a superior version is a farce. Just another console warrior ammunition, nothing more.

ufo8mycat

Damn why the fuck did I change my order to 360. Rockstar finally decides to make an excellent port with no compromises for ps3 (even max payne 3 still had an edge on 360). Fuck and I have to pay for gold now. I make terrible decisions.

If you are going to make a decision where small differences impact your purchase, why not go PC? :D

ufo8mycat

Well, I didn't notice any blurry textures and I'm sitting like two meters in front of my 60 inch screen. Whenever (if ever) it happens, it must be on such rare occasions that you (most likely) won't notice.

Given the almost non-existent differences, this whole discussion about a superior version is a farce. Just another console warrior ammunition, nothing more.

I totally agree. It's kind of funny when people zoom in on textures and analysis this and that. But its also funny to read :D

Vire

I just find it strange that you say the opposite of the article.. they say you will never notice the 1-2 Fps difference, but you will notice the blurry textures, that´s why they say the PS3 version is just slightly better..
But you seem to think otherwise, and try to dismiss the article as poorly written or something..

I'm not dismissing the article as poorly written because they chose the PS3 version, I don't give a shit about that. I'm accusing it as poorly written because they didn't properly explain their points clearly.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm pretty sad that the 360 version is slightly inferior to the PS3 version. I've been been with 360 & PC gaming this gen, so I had to go with the 360 version. I wonder if installing the second disc to a flash drive would help

Hanmik

I'm not dismissing the article as poorly written because they chose the PS3 version, I don't give a shit about that. I'm accusing it as poorly written because they didn't properly explain their points clearly.

And yes, for some people 2 FPS average increase out of 30 is marginally enough to warrant one version or the other. I mean I can tell you I rather have 30 fps than 28.

I would love an 30fps over an 28fps to.. but here we are talking about a game that is lower and not 30fps at all times.. so why even bring that up..? the article even states that it´s in Cutscenes that the fps is a little better on X360, but in gameplay it´s better on PS3.

the article clearly describes the differences and I can´t see why you would think otherwise.

Vire

I would love an 30fps over an 28fps to.. but here we are talking about a game that is lower and not 30fps at all times.. so why even bring that up..? the article even states that it´s in Cutscenes that the fps is a little better on X360, but in gameplay it´s better on PS3.

the article clearly describes the differences and I can´t see why you would think otherwise.

I've made my point abundantly clear about it in previous posts and I feel like I'm going in circles here. If you would like to know why I think they aren't clear, go ahead and read my post history.

SRTtoZ

Lazlow was on Opie and Anthony last week and they asked about which was the the better version and he said PS3 by a slight edge. Good looks Lazlow.

ufo8mycat

Honestly though

People making the decisions based on these differences, for these same people, why not just go for PC?

I really don't understand - when you base your decisions on all these Technical analysis reviews, then it clearly impacts your choice, so why not go PC?

That way you don't have to worry about these Technical Head2Heads anymore.

I am not just talking about GTA V (We all know it's coming to PC), I mean in general.

Giving an opinion on the pros and cons of each version is good for multiconsole owners. Anyone who thinks that's 'console warrior ammunition' is clearly projecting.

If you are going to make a decision where small differences impact your purchase, why not go PC? :D

He/She probably wants to play GTAV

Top Bottom