• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF article GTA V - X360 vs PS3

Raydeen

Oh for god sake, stop encouraging Digital Foundry.

One again no difference you can see whatsoever unless you sit 1/2 a foot away from your TV with your eyes pressed to the glass.

But why not add that 3rd option if its there? If being so serious about the differences.

Lets be honest. A PC that plays everything on highest settings/60fps is not that expensive.

Yes it is. It's more than any console will cost and the upgrades are a lot more common (non existent on consoles) (source: I'm a PC gamer with a 'decent' rig).

And why not add the third option? Because it wasn't asked. PC gamers (even though I am one) are like Vegans. How do you know someone is a PC gamer? Because they'll tell you ... over and over.

This is really OT though, which means OFF TOPIC, as in, the PC shouldn't be mentioned in this thread at all when it's between 360 and PS3 versions.

the texture thing is a glitch, this should easily get fixed on the 360 with a title update.
It is not a GLITCH.

There's a few others mentioned in the article though they're not as big ..

- 360 has better reflection on indoor mirrors
About the minor graphical difference, they have next to none impact. Especially not as big as asset streaming issue.

Here is a comparison of the Trees on both version.
360_033.bmp.jpg

PS3_033.bmp.jpg

The lack of proper aliasing doesn't make the trees any better on 360.

Indoor Reflection being lower quality on PS3

Nothing much significant here. It's not like the reflections are of particularly high quality on 360.

rallaren

I feel the 360 controller more. I'd like to further know how they took advantage of the PS3 hardware now that they did not do before.

Cornbread78

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day DF picked the PS3 version of a MP game.... Since the two games are so close though, it sounds like it's great for gamers, with no obvious "$hit copy" out there like Skyrim or Bayonetta.

MercuryLS

Banned
I had the same texture and geometry pop-in issues with the PSN version. If you're getting the PS3 version, get the disc one. This game is obviously optimized to stream from two places at once.

thelastword

Banned
For someone who desperately waits for DF comparisons to determine which version and platform is superior, someone is having a hard time accepting the fact that their own choice of platform this time wasn't DF's preferred platform to play GTAV on.
What's also strange is that he was the one who posted the last two faceoffs on Gaf where 360 got the nod, but was somehow late on this one for some odd reason.

Nymphae

Banned
Yes it is. It's more than any console will cost and the upgrades are a lot more common (non existent on consoles) (source: I'm a PC gamer with a 'decent' rig).

Agree completely. PC gaming is not cheap to get into if you are starting from nothing or a junk computer. I don't see how people are building sweet ass rigs for anything under $1000 unless they are waiting for crazy deals or something. I built a computer last year, researched everything I needed for a LONG time before buying (which is daunting and a hell of a task in itself when you aren't familiar with the stuff), and compiled what I thought was a pretty good system for games, and I spent around $1700. And I didn't even go nuts on the graphics card or any frills of any kind.

I've made my point abundantly clear about it in previous posts and I feel like I'm going in circles here. If you would like to know why I think they aren't clear, go ahead and read my post history.

Your damage control in this thread has been amusing. Funny enough, the 360 version doesn't even need it.

scsa

So no difference in practical terms, great. The 360 had held up quote while given it is a year older to the ps3 in the market.

It's funny though how almost no one goes bonkers over multiple disks in the 360 version. They was one true tech limiter in the console.

ALM5252

I want to get the PS3 version, but the 8GB mandatory install is why I can't. I only have the 40GB model, and I'm pretty much out of space. I need to buy a new hard-drive, but I'd much rather get a new PS3 at that point as future proofing.

Anyways, I have a 250GB model of the 360, which is why I'm leaning towards buying it for that. Guess the best thing is to just wait it out. Maybe I'll get a newer PS3 in the future or a PS4 and GTA V will be announced for that.

acm2000

their conclusion is odd

if you dont install the play disc on 360, both stream assets at the same rate, or if you do install the play disc, install to usb storage

if you install both discs on the hdd, then you get streaming asset issues (same as psn edition)

Yeah the 360 version has a texture load bug but has a better frame rate.

To not declare them even is weird.

You missed the part where the framerate is sometimes better on PS3 too. To declare them even would be weird. They are clearly different, and the pros and cons do not simply cancel each other out.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh for god sake, stop encouraging Digital Foundry.

One again no difference you can see whatsoever unless you sit 1/2 a foot away from your TV with your eyes pressed to the glass.
Why exactly are people against this kind of examination? The only reason "I" could see someone being against it is if they had a stake in the "console war", really.

It's interesting stuff and demonstrates how developers tackle different problems and overcome challenges.

Also, in most cases, the differences aren't that close so it's good to have information that spells out the differences for those that care. If YOU don't care, however, just ignore it and realize that the articles aren't for you.

thelastword

Banned
@DarkLordMalik;82295985

Here is a comparison of the Trees on both version.

I don't know if it's my browser, but I'm not seeing this comparison

The lack of proper aliasing doesn't make the trees any better on 360.

Yeah it was mentioned that the trees does not look appealing as a result

Indoor Reflection being lower quality on PS3

Nothing much significant here. It's not like the reflections are of particularly high quality on 360

Wasn't that only in regards to one (single) mirror in the player's apartment, I don't believe it was based on all reflections in the game, so if anything maybe this can be patched similar to the big daddy texture issue in bioshock PS3, what do the kids say these days....errrr... a glitch.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It is not a GLITCH.

It looks very much like a glitch/streaming error, in some places its like there's one layer of textures missing from the ground textures, very reminiscent of the skyrim issue.

Yeah the 360 version has a texture load bug but has a better frame rate.

To not declare them even is weird.

Watching the videos is a better indicator, the green and blue lines are almost always apart. The frame rate difference is understated.

NBtoaster

their conclusion is odd

if you dont install the play disc on 360, both stream assets at the same rate, or if you do install the play disc, install to usb storage

if you install both discs on the hdd, then you get streaming asset issues (same as psn edition)

Install first disc only: mushy textures
Install second disc to HDD: mushy textures+ pop in
Install second disc to USB: no one has tested yet

OmahaG8

Ugh. Debating about whether opening my 360 SE or getting a PS3 SE on the way home from Target - because I am that picky of an asshole.

Gotta love the "hahaha PS3 is winnar" posts. Reading the article seems to indicate negligible differences, other than the ground texture issue. But I guess those that own PS3 exclusively need to claim their scare multi-platform related victories when they can.

What's interesting is that I was at a friend's house last night and we noticed several texture related pop-in issues on my PS3 and far fewer on his 360. Maybe the difference is that I have an older PS3 and he has a newer slim model 360?

I wonder if this might be a "your mileage may vary" type of thing.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does anyone have the controller layouts for the 360 and PS3?

I think I could deal with slightly blurry textures in front of me if it means I don't have to use the PS3's triggers to shoot...

is PAL version same as NTSC version though? different screen resolution for example (and refresh rate though that shouldnt matter)

I bailed on 360 version due to this DF article and picked up PS3 instead, but image looks a bit blurred to me like over aggressive anti aliasing or something

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gotta love the "hahaha PS3 is winnar" posts. Reading the article seems to indicate negligible differences, other than the ground texture issue. But I guess those that own PS3 exclusively need to claim their scare multi-platform related victories when they can.
It's pretty silly especially with the PS4 having an advantage next gen. The PS3 vs 360 stuff is academic at this point, really.

I've played both versions and I just can't really grasp how they can sway the recommendation so heavily in favor of the ps3.

There's a real weird vibe going on... ontop of the leaked files showing a ps4 and PC version but no mention of an Xbone version. I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but I feel all this is leading up to another GTA exclusive deal with Sony once the new generation gets started and what we are seeing now is just the beginnings of that relationship.

Top Bottom