• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Clips - Should We Welcome More 30FPS Games?

Robochobo

iameGc6.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Looks great in screeshots. Goes to shit in motion though.

I prefer playing in motion rather than drooling at screenshots myself.
It's good in motion though. It's not this fsr shite like alan wake 2 even in quality mode
The degree of pixel break up in dragons dogma 2 is way less severe.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I get a reminder of how shitty 30fps looks every time I go into a city so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
on ps5 it's not even 30fps int he cities lol. Yeah cities in dd2 are suffering.
Obviously you play on pc so going from 60 to 30 hurts. And you probably disabled motion blur too.
But after the patch, I locked the fps to 30 and I got used to it no problem. Dragons dogma 2 is heavy and slow. They use good motion blur too. Hence the good screenshots. Surprised how well it looks on ps5 at times.

Topher

Gold Member
on ps5 it's not even 30fps int he cities lol. Yeah cities in dd2 are suffering.
Obviously you play on pc so going from 60 to 30 hurts. And you probably disabled motion blur too.
But after the patch, I locked the fps to 30 and I got used to it no problem. Dragons dogma 2 is heavy and slow. They use good motion blur too. Hence the good screenshots. Surprised how well it looks on ps5 at times.

Glad that works for you. Yeah, if the console version doesn't offer a performance mode.......PC is automatic for me.

midnightAI

Heh, how did I know this was going to be about Hellblade 2 (or at least would be brought up) before I even entered the thread/watched the video. The answer is of course there are loads of 30fps games already, many just also happen to have 60fps modes, which is the right way of doing it

Last edited:

Stuart360

I'm still not convinced 30fps isnt still the console standard.
I think the reason why we have had so many 60fps games this gen so far is because of how long cross gen has lasted this gen.
Once we have started getting current gen only games, a lot of them have been 30fps. And that will continue even more as the gen goes on imo.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
nah man. Go to pc with this choice shit.
Consoles should be optimized about 1 experience that devs deemed their best.
I don't want to have to decide if I want to play 4k30 or 1080p60. That's not a choice. That's blackmail lol
Stellar Blade giving us multiple choices and it’s better for it in my opinion.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's a shitty take though. Everyone has to play the game on console the way you prefer........just because? Fuck that
Console strength is in a solid experience fine tuned by the devs. The choices often have too huge drawbacks. It's either 4k or soft yoghurt but 60fps. That's no way to make a game and give me a choice.

So you would rather have NO choice over choices?.
Another classic rotif take.
I think that's a valid opinion from me. Like I said above, choice wouldn't be bad if it wasn't broken. Nobody wants a choice "do you want 2 legs and 1 arm or 2 arms and 1 leg" because that's how the choice feels on consoles.
And without that chocie, I have "no choice" but to accept what they are giving me and just play the game.
I have an easier time accepting what I am served on console. But if there is a 4k mode for example, I will check it out, it often plays like shit and I will go "sigh... let's go back to yoghurt 60fps mode".
Like.... that's not so insane I think.

Stellar Blade giving us multiple choices and it’s better for it in my opinion.
Stellar blade us unreal engine game and got pretty good modes.
Not every game is bad in this regard. In stellar blade even 30fps mode is fine but I feel the performance mode shouldn't be there Balance is almost 60 and much higher res. Everyone got vrr. it's hdmi standard.
So the balance and performance mode only will result in someone picking performance mode and playing in 60fps instead of 58 but at much lower res.

Topher

Gold Member
Console strength is in a solid experience fine tuned by the devs. The choices often have too huge drawbacks. It's either 4k or soft yoghurt but 60fps. That's no way to make a game and give me a choice.

They have been doing that all gen and we've all had these choices in most of the games.

Somehow you have survived. I'm glad you've had to suffer through NOT playing in the same mode as me.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I get a reminder of how shitty 30fps looks every time I go into a city so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

To be fair, that's not because of 30 FPS, that's more because the game drops to 20 FPS or thereabout in the capital city, lol.

I haven't played the PS5 version myself, but on the Xbox at least, outside of the capital, the game is almost always north of that and near 40, which the 120hz VRR does a fantastic job look smooth and responsive.

-

Other recent games like FF16 and Rebirth are also both better in their respective 30 FPS modes for various reasons too. Despite me clowning on him for his Forspoken stuff, I can see rofif's point here.

Killer8

Developers targeting 30fps on consoles can be preferable for one reason - they can really push the visuals hard and don't have to worry so much about performance. This allows the game to look the absolute best it can possibly look for the ages, and chances are that a later PC version will then be able to give you the 60fps+ you desire. An uglier 60fps game is ugly forever.

Topher

Gold Member
To be fair, that's not because of 30 FPS, that's more because the game drops to 20 FPS or thereabout in the capital city, lol.

I haven't played the PS5 version myself, but on the Xbox at least, outside of the capital, the game is almost always north of that and near 40, which the 120hz VRR does a fantastic job look smooth and responsive.

-

Other recent games like FF16 and Rebirth are also both better in their respective 30 FPS modes for various reasons too. Despite me clowning on him for his Forspoken stuff, I can see rofif's point here.

I'm playing on PC. It is absolutely because of 30fps. I don't get drops to 20. It is fairly constant in the 30 range and it sucks.

I mean......this is hardly the first game I've played at 30fps. Entire last gen was 30fps. When we got 60fps patches for games like AC Odyssey and Origins, people rejoiced and for good reason.

If you don't mind 30fps then that's fine, but rofif's "point" is that no one else should have a say besides people who agree with him. You sure you want to be on that side of the argument?

Yes. Thank god Dragons Dogma 2 was 30fps on ps5. Played rebirth in 30 too and it was fine. Looked fire too.

if it was 60fps it wouldn't look like this on ps5
6P2dQLm.jpeg

0bUY1Zp.jpeg

H21Z4WK.jpeg

Agree ...still devs should at least be adding multiple performance profiles, if for no other reason that to future proof the game for the next hardware iteration. So in the case of DD2 they did it right by having an unlocked fps mode

One of the most depressing aspects of this gen is that we have these powerful consoles (relative to ps4 pro/one x etc) but because so many games last gen only had a 30 fps capped mode, we're stuck playing those games at 30 fps
..and we're totally dependent on lazy devs and greedy pubs to patch those games which takes years or just never happens a la kingdom come deliverence, rdr2, Mafia remake, dishonored 2, driveclub etc!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol yes. i love how gaf has an existential crisis about how graphics havent improved this gen one week then turns around next week and demands 60 fps or nothing. you cant have both with $500 10 tflops gpus. It was a raw 5x tflops increase and around an 8x increase in computing power. thats not enough for 2x resolution, 2x framerate AND also provide next gen graphics.

thats why we are seeing so many 720p games which have effectively halved the resolution of PS4 titles just to get next gen graphics at 60 fps. the only problem is that besides the resolution, they also cut down on graphics settings and the insanely low resolutions coupled with upscaling artifacts produce a shitty image that is devoid of the next gen look devs intended.

so clearly the compromise isnt enough so fuck it, go 30 fps on consoles and push 60 on PC and Pro consoles.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Yes. Thank god Dragons Dogma 2 was 30fps on ps5. Played rebirth in 30 too and it was fine. Looked fire too.

if it was 60fps it wouldn't look like this on ps5
6P2dQLm.jpeg

0bUY1Zp.jpeg

H21Z4WK.jpeg
It doesn't even look that good outside of these downsampled screenshots, let's be real here. Hell, DMC special edition and RE4 are way batter looking and run at 2-3 times the franerate of DD2

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I've said before and I'll say it again :
The problem, isn't necessarily the 30fps, it's the fact that nowadays a good percentage of users out there have OLED TVs which have judder with lower than 60fps content (24fps for movies, 30 for games) - couple that with 30fps games which by the way, not each one is the same when it comes to framepacing etc and...there's the problem.

Frankly, while i always preferred 60fps games, I had no problem playing 30fps ones on the previous gens of consoles, thing is, back then I had LCD and Plasma TVs which were/are better at handling motion with lower framerate content.

Since I got my LG OLED...I just can't do 30fps anymore and it's not because I got used at playing 60fps games but because of said judder which no amount of in-game motion blur can hide.
Remember people throwing a fit with Bloodborne's uneven framepacing back in the day ? That's every G'damn game for me now (even worse I'd say), they just feel "off" due to the friggin judder.
Best case scenario, I can perceive the judder, worst case scenario like - say - Demon's souls remake on quality mode...it's migraine inducing since it feels like you're wading through molasses (there's something seriously wrong with the game's 30fps quality mode).

This is on a PS5, maybe the XSX fares better with 30fps due to Low framerate compensation support but I wouldn't know since I didn't try 30fps games on my OLED while I had my XSX.

Basically, it's got to do with A) the 30fps implementation in each game and B) the OLED near instant response fuckery which alongside (A) can lead to some pretty bad results.

Had i witnessed OLED judder beforehand I'd seriously have opted for a FALD/MiniLED set - it's that bad for me personally.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I said before and I'll say it again :
The problem, isn't necessarily the 30fps, it's the fact that nowadays a good percentage of users out there have OLED TVs which have judder at a lower than 60fps content (24fps for movies, 30 for games) - couple this with 30fps games which by the way, not every 30fps game is the same when it comes to framepacing etc and...there's the problem.

Frankly, while i always preferred 60fps games, I had no problem playing 30fps games on the previous gens of consoles, here's the thing though, back then I had LED and Plasma TVs which were/are better at handling motion with lower framerate content.

Since I got an LG OLED...I just can't do 30fps anymore and it's not because I got used at playing 60fps games but because of said judder which no amount of in-game motion blur can hide.

Remember people throwing a fit with Bloodborne's uneven framepacing back in the day ? That's every G'damn game for me now, they just feel "off" due to the friggin judder.
Best case scenario I can perceive the judder, worst case scenario like - say - Demon's souls remake on quality mode...it's migraine inducing since it feels like your wading through molasses (there's something seriously wrong with the game's quality mode).

This is on a PS5, maybe the XSX fares better with 30fps due to Low framerate compensation support but I wouldn't know since I didn't try 30fps games while I had my XSX.

Basically, it's got to do with A) the 30fps implementation in each game and B) OLED fuckery which alongside (A) can lead to some pretty bad results.

Had i witnessed OLED judder beforehand I'd seriously have opted for a FALD/MiniLED set - it's that bad for me personally.
The fact is that OLED has motion interpolation for 24fps film that makes film watchable (and no I am not talking about soap opera effect) so that's a non-issue.

You are correct in that OLED is just plain awful for 30 fps games. Just awful. YoU CAN use motion interpolation, but it introduces so many artifacts and input lag.

Ironically that's basically what frame generation is. Motion Interpolation at the GPU level.

MikeM

On consoles? Yes.

On consoles, you can have industry defining, bar raising, state of the art visuals or you can have 60fps. Not both.

40fps would be a fine compromise as well.
No. These devs need to take a crash course from Sony. You absolutely can have your cake and eat it too.

30fps needs to die. Its 2024 and thats the only standard that has yet to move forward.

Topher

Gold Member
No. These devs need to take a crash course from Sony. You absolutely can have your cake and eat it too.

30fps needs to die. Its 2024 and thats the only standard that has yet to move forward.

I'd say leave in there for the folks that prefer to see the high resolutions. Options are good. But folks are going to have to explain to me why having a 60fps option for consoles is so incredibly difficult for devs. It is literally a matter of changing some settings in the game to get close to 60fps and then saving off that as a preset. Boom......performance mode.

If I can get my old RX 580 PC running Cyberpunk 2077 running at 4k and averaging about 45 fps (with low settings, ultra performance FSR, etc.) in around ten minutes then how in the world is a performance mode in these much more powerful consoles such a horribly difficult thing? I'm calling bullshit on that nonsense.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Graphics look good enough nowadays to be able to offer 60fps on most if not all games at lower resolutions.

it's always the same people from the graphics thread that come to these threads and try to push universal 30fps.

If you wanna wank over puddles and textures you are very much welcome to do so. Me personally I'd rather not play a slideshow or spend my time in photo mode.

Top Bottom