• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Clips - Should We Welcome More 30FPS Games?

Topher

Gold Member
The nature of the poll self-selects for those who care the most about frame-rates though! So its untrustworthy even before factoring in the statistical insignificance of the sample size.

If you care that much just buy a PC or otherwise get yourself into a position where you have a power surplus above target.

The point King Dazzar King Dazzar derives from that poll is that a significant number of people do care about performance modes in consoles. And he is correct. We see that here on this forum as it is a highly debated topic.

"Just buy a PC" works for either side of this debate though regardless if someone wants the highest fidelity graphics or the best frame rate. Neither are found on console.

BbMajor7th

Sounds like more damage control for MS. I'm old enough to remember when Tom Morgan spent an entire video clobbering the PS4 remake of Ratchet and Clank for being only 30FPS in a generation where a) it was standard and b) the visuals were outstanding. Funny how those tables turn.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The point King Dazzar King Dazzar derives from that poll is that a significant number of people do care about performance modes in consoles. And he is correct. We see that here on this forum as it is a highly debated topic.

"Just buy a PC" works for either side of this debate though regardless if someone wants the highest fidelity graphics or the best frame rate. Neither are found on console.

Its not intrinsic to PC, its just a matter of running software on hardware rated way above spec.

Because its obvious that when dealing with fixed hardware there is a always a "hard" ceiling on resources meaning that making maximal use inevitably demands compromise in some area.

This is what pisses me off so royally about people rabbiting on about "optimization". Optimized against what? There is no singular metric.

Topher

Gold Member
Its not intrinsic to PC, its just a matter of running software on hardware rated way above spec.

Because its obvious that when dealing with fixed hardware there is a always a "hard" ceiling on resources meaning that making maximal use inevitably demands compromise in some area.

This is what pisses me off so royally about people rabbiting on about "optimization". Optimized against what? There is no singular metric.

There is a "hard ceiling" for either graphical fidelity or frame rate. There is a compromise in either direction. Essentially the choice is higher resolution or higher frames.

Killjoy-NL

Well.....since I have no idea if my answer matches yours.....I offered it. Why that makes you snarky....no idea.
It does match mine, because I already pointed it out in my first post.

My question was directed at the other guy and stated "ask yourself".

TheFawz

No, we shouldn't. I'm okay with offering optional non-default 30/40FPS modes for higher fidelity, or leveraging 30FPS in things like PhotoModes or Cinematics, but anything with user input gameplay should run at 60FPS minimum

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
But...but..."i UseD To PlAy OcarInA oF TiMe aT 22FPS aNd i hAD a BLaST !11!" :messenger_beaming:
This example is really funny to me because like... yeah ocarina of time ran at 20fps on N64.

That's why ship of harkinian exists lmao.

The FPS was so terrible people reverse engineered the code of the fucking game to get it running on PC at 60 and 120.
Same for Mario 64 running at 30.

And you can bet that most of the progress PS4 emulation has been seeing is there for 60fps bloodborne.

Not to mention that if Kaze Emanuar is any indication Nintendo could've easily squeezed the hardware some more with extensive code optimizations to get the original N64 version running at 60fps on original hardware.

Same visuals. Same game. Just runs a lot better.

There is no excuse for 30fps on consoles. Even a performance mode is a compromise. These devs should be squeezing the most out of these configurations

Last edited:
When I was growing up it was Nintendo vs Sega. Didn't matter what you picked, the other side thought you were a knob.

Here we are years later... its frame rate now lol.

King Dazzar

A lot of people will get disappointed when GTA6 ends up running at 30fps only.
Apparently not. As only an insignificant tiny number of gamers care about framerate. Apparently.

We're to ignore all the effort Sony first party studios put into providing Quality, Balanced, & Performance modes. And all the other studios and games which do have 60fps modes - apparently, they shouldn't have bothered. Because the option will only appease a tiny tiny insignificant niche audience.

Then there's the media that went to great lengths to silence 30fps only games critique as "creative choices". But if the audience wanting 60fps is so tiny, why bother even mentioning it?

But we know the answer: Rule number one. Don't like others opinion - trivialise their point of view.

But for me I believe you're right. Many people will be unhappy. Lets wait and see though. GTAVI I think may yet surprise, at least on Pro.

Killjoy-NL

Apparently not. As only an insignificant tiny number of gamers care about framerate. Apparently.

We're to ignore all the effort Sony first party studios put into providing Quality, Balanced, & Performance modes. And all the other studios and games which do have 60fps modes - apparently, they shouldn't have bothered. Because the option will only appease a tiny tiny insignificant niche audience.

Then there's the media that went to great lengths to silence 30fps only games critique as "creative choices". But if the audience wanting 60fps is so tiny, why bother even mentioning it?

But we know the answer: Rule number one. Don't like others opinion - trivialise their point of view.

But for me I believe you're right. Many people will be unhappy. Lets wait and see though. GTAVI I think may yet surprise, at least on Pro.
Completely missed the point, huh?

Killjoy-NL

As you have mine?
Not really.

Even if 60fps would be standard and they would move away from 30fps, people will complain about visuals not being pushed as much as people expect.

So there will always be 30fps. It isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

King Dazzar

Not really.

Even if 60fps would be standard and they would move away from 30fps, people will complain about visuals not being pushed as much as people expect.

So there will always be 30fps. It isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, as I've already tried to convey. I'm fine with 30fps modes and boosted visuals. But I also need 60fps options too for me to be dropping spondolics on it. And on that front I'm not worried either. Its great that PlayStation give people like me a further option with the Pro too.

Umbral

All well and good that you want 60fps. As long as you are ready to accept that graphical fidelity will be more limited on console. Its the same for PC too, cough up for higher end parts or play at lower framerates and settings.
Gameplay is priority.

Last edited:
Top Bottom