• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/Eurogamer: First Xbox 3 Devkit leaks, 8 Core Intel CPU, nvidia GPU, 8-12GB RAM

Nizz

I think DaE is trolling the industry lol

now he says that it's a AMD.

DEA-1.jpg
Pic's not showing up. Is it a tweet or something?

I think DaE is trolling the industry lol

now he says that it's a AMD.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-IcWLvM34TuA/UBamBr4IEhI/AAAAAAAAAZY/gpysP8cQTDU/s786/DEA-1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

An AMD-what? CPU or GPU? If I had such a devkit, I would post HD pictures of every inch of that thing.

[quote="purple cobra, post: 40437243"]Pic's not showing up. Is it a tweet or something?[/QUOTE]

[url]https://twitter.com/superDaE/status/229819790250876928[/url]

yeah, he says: "also for the record it's AMD, i never said it ONLY had 8gb"

also, the windows programme that he has a capture of, is that not really easy to fake? forgive my naivety, i'm pretty clueless with this stuff.

Very easy to fake.

Also "only 8 gb" lol... I can understand 8 of DDR3... its double the density of GDDR5... but MORE than that is absolute crazyness. The board complexity at 8 is one thing, along with the heat output... but above 8? Nope.

Sid

Very easy to fake.

Also "only 8 gb" lol... I can understand 8 of DDR3... its double the density of GDDR5... but MORE than that is absolute crazyness. The board complexity at 8 is one thing, along with the heat output... but above 8? Nope.

So 4gb gddr5,i5-2500k level cpu and an underclocked gtx 680 equivalent gpu is possible within $450 at retail with ms taking a loss?

So 4gb gddr5,i5-2500k level cpu and an underclocked gtx 680 equivalent gpu is possible within $450 at retail with ms taking a loss?

Rumors are high amounts of Ram in xbox3, so it's not GDDR5, as that would be very expensive, unless they went with a split pool... would still be very expensive if not more than just going with DDR3.

Not i5, this rumor says "intel atom" which is (apparently, dont take my word) comparable to AMD's Jaguar. The Jaguar is the rumored PS4 CPU.

Sid

Rumors are high amounts of Ram in xbox3, so it's not GDDR5, as that would be very expensive, unless they went with a split pool... would still be very expensive if not more than just going with DDR3.

Not i5, this rumor says "intel atom" which is (apparently, dont take my word) comparable to AMD's Jaguar. The Jaguar is the rumored PS4 CPU.

Oh ok,so to keep the costs down the final unit may have 2gb gddr5 vram+ 2gb ddr3?does that sound possible with the aforementioned specs without going over $450 while taking a loss?

plans can change?
The usually impartial mods got so tired of him that they gave him a tag so that other posters would not continue to be mislead by him, that is how bad the mods think steviep is. The fact that people still listen to him after him being constantly wrong and having that tag is completely baffling. He's claimed to have insider contacts for a long time yet he hasn't divulged anything of value, that should tell you all you need to know about him.

Oh ok,so to keep the costs down the final unit may have 2gb gddr5 vram+ 2gb ddr3?does that sound possible with the aforementioned specs without going over $450 while taking a loss?

The XB3 is rumored to have closer to 6 if not 8. No more than 8 though, I don't see how it's possible. I see cost savings in the area of GPU and CPU with a cheap SOC (system on chip) design. That's why other rumors only said (including the leaked document) saying only a "6x" increase of performance over the 360.

Has anybody taken into account that Microsoft might be going for a console that does cost 600-700 dollars, or maybe even more? I know there is a lot of debate about the large amount of ram v the quality of the ram.

I mean, do we have any record of how popular the $99 subsidize plan has gone? Has it has been successful or not?

The possibility is there that they may launch hardware that costs 600-700 dollars, but have it be subsidized on a 2-3 years plan....$200 bucks up front, 25 bucks a month for 2 years, and requiring a yearly xbox live gold subscription for those two years.

They recoop all their hardware cost and then some.

Has anybody taken into account that Microsoft might be going for a console that does cost 600-700 dollars, or maybe even more? I know there is a lot of debate about the large amount of ram v the quality of the ram.

I mean, do we have any record of how popular the $99 subsidize plan has gone? Has it has been successful or not?

The possibility is there that they may launch hardware that costs 600-700 dollars, but have it be subsidized on a 2-3 years plan....$200 bucks up front, 25 bucks a month for 2 years, and requiring a yearly xbox live gold subscription for those two years.

They recoop all their hardware cost.

I would love to have a 600-700 bucks console, that would mean they have cut no corners and made a beast console. People buy 600 buck iPads, I'm just sayin.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea what those specs mean. How many 360s duct taped together is that?

Problem is, is the ones that care about power & graphics are in the minority of the entire gaming world. The average consumer doesn't give a damn about graphics & power, they just want to play games (& average consumers makes up about 90% of the gaming world every generation).

The average gamer doesn't buy many games. Most average gamers I know buy madden and nothing else all year, or Fifa and nothing else, or CoD and nothing else, or Mario games only, and maybe Zelda. A few average gamers I know didn't buy a single wii game beyond the Wii Sports that came bundled with it.

This is why console makers want to target the gamers that actually buy lots of games and who friends and family members turn to when they want to know what console to buy, and and game forums is a fairly solid sample of those types of gamers.

It stands to reason that many of those who spends hundreds on games every few months and spend many hours gaming each week also read up on and talk about games in online gaming communities.

KageMaru

They recoop all their hardware cost and then some.

I can see both Sony and MS launch 2 SKUs at $400 and $500. I don't see either really going as high as you think, that just wouldn't work.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Problem is, is the ones that care about power & graphics are in the minority of the entire gaming world. The average consumer doesn't give a damn about graphics & power, they just want to play games (& average consumers makes up about 90% of the gaming world every generation).
If that's the case then why do the best selling core titles usually have such great graphics? If the average consumer didn't care then couldn't they get away with awful graphics and still sell millions? Or is the 10% driving that market?

Yeah like that time he guaranteed the 720 would be out in mid-2012. Or the time that he said that >4GB was a fanboy pipedream. Or the time that he said that Halo 4 would be a cross-generational title.
Did he really predict the first and last things? I have never seen him talk about that. I know the ram thing was because no one thought MS would use slow or split ram.

I'm in. Where do I sign up.

I love PC gaming buy why does every single god damn game have to reinstall directX just to play. Plus the constant updates with drivers and the worry that it's going to break something.

Give me a closed box any day.

You can hit cancel when a game wants to install DX if you already have the correct version installed.

Did he really predict the first and last things? I have never seen him talk about that. I know the ram thing was because no one thought MS would use slow or split ram.

Yes and Yes.

Also some great gems about the leaked specs before the PS4 launch in fall 2012.

Edit: I don't come into these threads just to call people out by the way. But it's really annoying to see the same handful of posters for the past 18 months making spotty predictions, and then shouting everyone else down with condescension. If you don't have sources, it's quite easy to present your opinion as just that, opinion. This particular poster has been of the opinion that MS and Sony's new consoles will be released near or alongside the Wii U, and only be marginally more powerful. Nearly everything that's happened this year (and nearly every current hw rumor) has contradicted that stance.

That isn't even necessarily true anymore. Consoles have basically doubled the fanbases for games like Skyrim, Battlefield, and now Minecraft.

Skyrim and Battlefield are not PC-oriented games anymore. Skyrim had the worst UI known to man and Battlefield lacks the Commander mode from BF2. Minecraft has still sold much more on PC, even with all the hype. Even so, Skyrim PC outsold the console versions in the US according to Bethesda (source: PCGamesN)

I can see both Sony and MS launch 2 SKUs at $400 and $500. I don't see either really going as high as you think, that just wouldn't work.

I think it would work if they wold it as I said. $200 bucks up front, $25 bucks a month for 2 years.

I can see a lot of people, especially casuals, be suckered into that.

KageMaru

Skyrim and Battlefield are not PC-oriented games anymore. Skyrim had the worst UI known to man and Battlefield lacks the Commander mode from BF2. Minecraft has still sold much more on PC, even with all the hype. Even so, Skyrim PC outsold the console versions in the US according to Bethesda (source: PCGamesN)

BF3 is probably the most "pc-centric" game on consoles, and I think for a good reason. Also Minecraft was out for the PC for far longer. Though really this isn't the thread for this since it isn't a PC vs console topic.

I think it would work if they wold it as I said. $200 bucks up front, $25 bucks a month for 2 years.

Well I can definitely see MS offering a contract deal like they are now for the 360. They will still offer a standard cost though for people who are willing to pay it.

Mithos

I don't because the $25 each month on this console-side ain't getting to the buyers advantage its just there as a payment plan to lower the up front cost, nothing like when you pick up a phone with a subscription, you get the phone for $1 and every single cent you spend each month on the subscriptions for getting the phone that cheap you can call up or sms/mms up, EVERY SINGLE CENT that's why people "go for it" when it comes to phones and subscriptions.

JAYinHD

I would love to have a 600-700 bucks console, that would mean they have cut no corners and made a beast console. People buy 600 buck iPads, I'm just sayin.

iPads are on a whole different level when it comes to the consumer. a $600 to $700 console is almost a sure fire failure.

clashfan

Yes and Yes.

Also some great gems about the leaked specs before the PS4 launch in fall 2012.

Edit: I don't come into these threads just to call people out by the way. But it's really annoying to see the same handful of posters for the past 18 months making spotty predictions, and then shouting everyone else down with condescension. If you don't have sources, it's quite easy to present your opinion as just that, opinion. This particular poster has been of the opinion that MS and Sony's new consoles will be released near or alongside the Wii U, and only be marginally more powerful. Nearly everything that's happened this year (and nearly every current hw rumor) has contradicted that stance.

I have no problems with people making conjectures base on the info we have. That's what internet forums are for but to pretend to be a developer or have insider info is just clueless...

DoomGyver

I can definitely see two SKUs and three price points. $399 and $499 and an optional two year contract that will eventually pay for the console itself and two years of XBL at $39 per month.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If Intel is building an 8 core CPU, the cores would look alot more like Atom than anything in the Core line.

Intel could easily build an 8 core i5 if they pulled out the GPU there would be plenty of space to have 8 cores on the same size chip

For me, I see a mobile phone like console bill as a fail. I don't know if the general public would feel the same, but I can't see ANY casual Kinect player paying a monthly bill for the privilege, and I definitely can't see parents getting one for their kids. Doing that they'd be alienating themselves from massive chunks of the market.

iPads are on a whole different level when it comes to the consumer. a $600 to $700 console is almost a sure fire failure.

Owning an iPad is a status symbol that says you're one cool wanker; owning a $600 console just says you're a wanker.

Well I'm not much of a specs guy so I'm not very good at parsing out what this all means for what the games would be capable of (graphically and otherwise). But in general I'm willing to pay more up front to have a relatively future proof system. So I hope these rumors are accurate or if they're not, that MS has something equally powerful in store for us.

Well I can definitely see MS offering a contract deal like they are now for the 360. They will still offer a standard cost though for people who are willing to pay it.

Oh yes, definitely, completely agree.

I just think it will be the way to get not only the gamers that are willing to spend 600 dollars on a console at launch, but get people that aren't that dedicated and willing to spend that much money up front.

It's basically a marketing ploy. Take one home for $200 bucks up front and pay measly $25 dollars a month for the next two years.

Most consumers, not all, are short sighted and probably would not see that they are paying more in the long run, or, they just won't care. They will have the latest xbox and that's good enough for them.

KageMaru

Oh yes, definitely, completely agree.

I just think it will be the way to get not only the gamers that are willing to spend 600 dollars on a console at launch, but get people that aren't that dedicated and willing to spend that much money up front.

It's basically a marketing ploy. Take one home for $200 bucks up front and pay measly $25 dollars a month for the next two years.

Most consumers, not all, are short sighted and probably would not see that they are paying more in the long run, or, they just won't care. They will have the latest xbox and that's good enough for them.

Well with their current plan on the 360, you don't end up paying more, it's roughly $10 cheaper IIRC. So it can still be a good deal for those consumers, they just will be stuck with the console for the remainder of the contract. I guess that's what you get if you want a cheaper console now instead of waiting for a price drop.

Top Bottom