• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF face-off: Sleeping Dogs

Derrick01

Banned
I'm very happy with the PC port and their next gen rainy nights. It's some seriously impressive stuff and I'm not even running the game on max settings.

gdt

I'm very happy with the PC port and their next gen rainy nights. It's some seriously impressive stuff and I'm not even running the game on max settings.

I swear its a rainy night 75% of the time....they know what looks best haha.

Read Dead Redemption on 360 disagrees with you
Red Faction Guerilla PS3/360 disagrees with you
Batman Arkham City PS3/360 disagrees with you
Saint's Row 3 PS3 disagrees with you
Infamous 1/2 disagrees with you
LA Noire PS3 disagrees with you

I could go on...

how is the PS3 port of Red Faction Guerilla? I loved it on PC and do want to play it again ASAP!

JB1981

from LOT, yikes at PS3 version:

sleepingdogs_01cwu3u.gif

sleepingdogs_022wu1r.gif

all i'm seeing is severe black crush on 360 .... edit: and i guess some texture differences.

danwarb

No, it doesn't. It might cost more if you start your project with a convoluted engine on the 360, and then attempt to port it over to the PS3 at the last minute, because at that point you've already set yourself up for failure.

But if you start the game on the PS3, it just makes it easier to port things over to the 360.

It still takes more to get things up and running on PS3. More time and effort required for optimisation relative to other platforms.

This is a pretty much a PC game with console ports no? Developers shouldn't have to create their games on the most awkward hardware, simply because it's the most awkward. If it was the biggest selling platform things would be very different.

LA Noire is on 3 discs and I believe lacks AO?
Saint's Row 3 gots bad screen tear

I See... Multi disc is usually not a issue for me (When it's not abused of course), but Saint's Row 1 screen tear was all over the place on 360... Guess it's still the same then xD

Derrick01

Banned
I swear its a rainy night 75% of the time....they know what looks best haha.

Yeah it does seem to rain a lot over there. Last night some song called rain wizard came on and it started raining about 3 seconds later. It's a little crazy but I can't get enough of those graphics.

KageMaru

all i'm seeing is severe black crush on 360 .... edit: and i guess some texture differences.

LoT is absolutely horrible in so many ways, people really should stop using them. Always thought they got the worst captures.

I See... Multi disc is usually not a issue for me (When it's not abused of course), but Saint's Row 1 screen tear was all over the place on 360... Guess it's still the same then xD

FWIW there is AO in the 360 version, it's just not as pronounced as the PS3 version. Also you can force v-sync on for SR3, but it impacts the frame rate. Would definitely get the ps3 version of SR3 if I were you. Some effects are slightly scaled back, but the overall performance is better.

You would think UFG would be pretty good with the ps3 after making Mod Nation and LBP karting.

Then again Mod Nation was a bit of a unoptimized mess so who knows...

Multi-disc is a stupid reason to not pick one game over another. In regards to Saints Row 3, it runs noticeably better on the PS3. It doesn't run that great on the PS3, but it definitely runs a lot smoother than the 360 version. The 360 version of Sleeping Dogs shits all over SR3 visually, and has a much better, livelier city.

You would think UFG would be pretty good with the ps3 after making Mod Nation and LBP karting.

Then again Mod Nation was a bit of a unoptimized mess so who knows...

They made a Kart game that couldn't maintain a solid framerate. That alone almost scared me off Sleeping Dogs.

meehan666

Neo Member
Yeah it does seem to rain a lot over there. Last night some song called rain wizard came on and it started raining about 3 seconds later. It's a little crazy but I can't get enough of those graphics.

Having lived in Hong Kong for a while (during Spring and Summer), I remember seeing many rainy days. Thus, the weather in the game seems somewhat realistic.

see5harp

I got the PS3 version from Gamefly and noticed the tearing and uneven framerate right away. Not sure how much better the 360 version is but the PS3 version definitely feels like a b-tier game as far as graphics, gameplay and polish go.

DanielJr82

Very happy I went with the 360 version. My local BestBuy had a bunch of PS3 copies in stock but the Xbox version sold out, I took the trip to Target to get it (got a $10 gift card, so yay!). Not dogging on the PS3, but why would multi-system owners buy ports for that console? They're repeatedly inferior, with a couple *rare* exceptions like Final Fantasy XIII.

KageMaru

Not dogging on the PS3, but why would multi-system owners buy ports for that console? They're repeatedly inferior, with a couple *rare* exceptions like Final Fantasy XIII.

That's not really the case these days. Usually they are pretty close to parity with both systems having a few minor strengths. Rarely do we see a FFXIII or RDR situation anymore.

Very happy I went with the 360 version. My local BestBuy had a bunch of PS3 copies in stock but the Xbox version sold out, I took the trip to Target to get it (got a $10 gift card, so yay!). Not dogging on the PS3, but why would multi-system owners buy ports for that console? They're repeatedly inferior, with a couple *rare* exceptions like Final Fantasy XIII.

Aguirre said:
dont care, i love dual shock 3.

This

And also, when it comes down to it, I'll notice the visuals initially but in the end, it comes down to the overall gameplay experience, which, if that's identical, I tend to not give a shit, hence I sold my 360 awhile back.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Playing this on the 360 right now, the performance is solid with slight tearing--which is tolerable. Overall, a stunning game tech-wise.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not dogging on the PS3, but why would multi-system owners buy ports for that console? They're repeatedly inferior, with a couple *rare* exceptions like Final Fantasy XIII.
Well, they're pretty much even for most games these days.

As a collector, I simply find the PS3 more appealing. The cases are of MUCH higher quality and I just prefer using the system itself. The XBOX360 UI has become so slow and bloated for me that it actually interferes with my gaming to a degree. I try to avoid using it when I can for that reason.

I typically go PC these days for performance reasons, but I never feel as if I'm building my collection there.

Hard to explain why, but that's how I feel.

That's why selling systems that are still "alive and kicking" is not smart.

I'm also hoping for a Darksiders 2 face-off before the game releases here in Europe, the game sounds too awesome so I guess I have to deal with the frame-rate problems on the console versions. :(

Sold my launch 60gb PS3 three months ago and no regrets at all. Only non-crappy, cheaper PC versions from now on. Got this for $30 and it looks insane. That launch PS3 netted me over 100 PC games during the Steam sale with some cash left over.

To me, it has gotten to the point where it is utterly stupid to pay $60 for console versions given how cheap and how much better looking PC versions are. The difference in cost over the course of about a dozen games pays for a decent PC. I got Deus Ex, Darkisers 2, Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2 etc. all day and date with console versions for $25-$30 less a piece.

eso76

I find the lack (or worse implementation anyway) of Anisotropic Filtering surprising, since it's tipically the x360 that struggles with it.
I think i'll get the pc version anyway.

KageMaru

That is always their intention, Leadbetter loves him some 360.

This is such rubbish. Sure let's ignore all the technical analysis and praising he's done for ps3 games, sure let's ignore how the conclusions he comes up with are evident in the videos and pictures in the article, and sure let's ignore that you'll just disappear from this thread like every other thread where you get called out for acting like a corporate shill for Sony.

Well, they're pretty much even for most games these days.

As a collector, I simply find the PS3 more appealing. The cases are of MUCH higher quality and I just prefer using the system itself. The XBOX360 UI has become so slow and bloated for me that it actually interferes with my gaming to a degree. I try to avoid using it when I can for that reason.

I typically go PC these days for performance reasons, but I never feel as if I'm building my collection there.

Hard to explain why, but that's how I feel.

Bloated and slow 360 UI? You're crazy, it's as fast as it's ever been and you don't even have to deal it with it if it upsets you that much, just set your games to boot from the disc tray instead of having the console load the dash first.

Bloated and slow, what utter nonsense.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's 2012 and PS3 versions of multiplatform games are still worse.

Stupid architectural hardware decision by Sony has fucked this console for it's entire generation.

NinjaBoiX

page not found
Really dude? The note explaining is like right above the link!
Oh wow, do people really still think this? What's in it for DF to give PS3 a poor write up? And let's not forget, Xbox gets a similar bashing when it's called for. Remember FFXIII?

And anyway, even if they were biased, the assets are there to make your own decision.

But they aren't biased, it's just that in general, games run better on Xbox. Sorry, I'm impartial and heavily invested in both consoles, but that is simply the case, like it or not.

KageMaru

Bloated and slow 360 UI? You're crazy, it's as fast as it's ever been and you don't even have to deal it with it if it upsets you that much, just set your games to boot from the disc tray instead of having the console load the dash first.

The older/original metro UI is pretty clunky and slow. The new updated version is much much better though.

It's 2012 and PS3 versions of multiplatform games are still worse.

Stupid architectural hardware decision by Sony has fucked this console for it's entire generation.

Multi-plats are rarely worse on the ps3 these days and the PS3 has provided some amazing games this gen. You're being a bit dramatic here.

Jigsaw

Banned

yeah you can tell easily,when the 360 wins,the article is often online before the game is even released,but if the ps3 version is better it takes him weeks after the release to make the comparison,to the point where it's useless since everybody bought the game already

The older/original metro UI is pretty clunky and slow. The new updated version is much much better though.

Haven't they rolled out the new dash yet? I thought he was talking about that one, not the old one, which was admittedly slow and somewhat hard to use.

Thank God for the mini dash, eh.

Regardless there's quite the distinct advantage for the xbox360 version of this game. The fact that the ps3 is upscaling such a low resolution image is horrendous. That being said I don't believe games have ever been checked for parity to such a degree as they are currently. Shoddy ports have been a thing since, well since forever.

dark10x

It's not too bad if you're booting discs, I suppose, but getting to your downloadable titles always annoys me. It runs smoothly, but it's very slow to LOAD just about anything. If you try to move between different sections and bring up lists of stuff on your system you see the spinning icon constantly.

The PS3 isn't great either in that regard, but you can at least navigation everything even while loading is happening.

The main strike against 360, though, really are the dirt cheap cases. Only in cases where there is no PC version and the PS3 version sucks do I go 360 these days (exclusives too, of course).

720p comparisons

Who the heck plays PC games at 720p? I'm also not sure what settings they are using and if they have the HD texture pack installed. All I know is my PC is several years old and a fairly mdest rig and the game looks far better than those images. Check out the Giant Bomb PC quick look for a better idea of what the PC version looks like.

NinjaBoiX

yeah you can tell easily,when the 360 wins,the article is often online before the game is even released,but if the ps3 version is better it takes him weeks after the release to make the comparison,to the point where it's useless since everybody bought the game already
Oh wow, you guys are just too much!

Are you actually serious? Why would they do this? What's the point?

And as a side note, do you own both consoles?

Who the heck plays PC games at 720p? I'm also not sure what settings they are using and if they have the HD texture pack installed. All I know is my PC is several years old and a fairly mdest rig and the game looks far better than those images. Check out the Giant Bomb PC quick look for a better idea of what the PC version looks like.

it's just for comparison sake. they also usually offer screens at higher resolutions. it lets you see what the PC version is doing for the game BEYOND just increasing the resolution, which in this case seems to be quite a bit.

It's not too bad if you're booting discs, I suppose, but getting to your downloadable titles always annoys me. It runs smoothly, but it's very slow to LOAD just about anything. If you try to move between different sections and bring up lists of stuff on your system you see the spinning icon constantly.

The PS3 isn't great either in that regard, but you can at least navigation everything even while loading is happening.

The main strike against 360, though, really are the dirt cheap cases. Only in cases where there is no PC version and the PS3 version sucks do I go 360 these days (exclusives too, of course).

Are in the current 360 dash beta? They've improved the loading issue with regard to downloaded games, they load as soon as your dash does now, which is a pretty impressive feat, especially if you have a 100+ games on there.

They've also improved general browsing/moving between the different tabs. I just use the RB button to skip ahead though, so it's never really been an issue for me. They've also introduced pins, which are a godsend considering how much content there is on there now.

dark10x

Are in the current 360 dash beta? They've improved the loading issue with regard to downloaded games, they load as soon as your dash does now, which is a pretty impressive feat, especially if you have a 100+ games on there.

They've also improved general browsing/moving between the different tabs. I just use the RB button to skip ahead though, so it's never really been an issue for me. They've also introduced pins, which are a godsend considering how much content there is on there now.
No, I'm not in the beta. Using the standard dash (current, non-beta release).

That's great news, though.

Top Bottom