• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF face-off: Sleeping Dogs

dummydecoy

There's no reason sub-HD shouldn't exist today. If anything, sub-HD should be more commonplace with developers trying to do more and more on these aging systems.

Yep. What should not exist, though, is sub-30 framerates and screen tear, coz I believe shit like that affects gameplay, which is most important. I'd gladly play a lower resolution game. Hell, I played Doom 3 at 640x480 on my old-ass PC back then. So good.

I hope DF releases their performance review of Darksiders II soon.

Returners

Did you play Modnation? Dat loading screen...

I saw the UFG logo on one of the Sleeping Dogs previews and immediately winced. Game turned out pretty well though all things told!

Considering how Modnation Racers supposedly ran on PS3, why would you expect this to be any better on PS3?

True. That just got me worried for LBP Karting. Oh well, at least there isn't another version to compare it too.

sleepykyo

:/ Crystal engine was born on ps3, I think it's normal to expect a badly FFXIII porting in so little time...by the way I found Leadbetter the worst gender of fanboy: he tried to cover its preferences behind the technical knowledge...you need to read this article from understand: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xiii-how-will-it-work-on-360-article it's hilarious.

Was it wrong? A lower resolution to keep the HDR was a possibility that he acknowledged instead of his ideal downgrade the lighting and upgrade everything else. He just seemed a little extra angry that was the approach that SquareEnix actually did that.

Few games on 360 run with ‘proper’ HDR. Halo 3 is one of them, but this comes at a cost of a sub-HD resolution and no anti-aliasing. In the case of Final Fantasy XIII, the drop down to MDR simply makes more sense as opposed to savagely cutting down resolution or anti-aliasing.

omonimo

Banned
Was it wrong? A lower resolution to keep the HDR was a possibility that he acknowledged instead of his ideal downgrade the lighting and upgrade everything else. He just seemed a little extra angry that was the approach that SquareEnix actually did that.

It's supposed FFXIII would run better just because 360 has the super edram (he love so much the edram, never forget to mentione that) but don't know anything how works FFXIII engine... what said in the article it's just speculation, no more. & in fact FFXIII-2 continue to run better on the ps3.

NinjaBoiX

:/ Crystal engine was born on ps3, I think it's normal to expect a badly FFXIII porting in so little time...by the way I found Leadbetter the worst gender of fanboy: he tried to cover its preferences behind the technical knowledge...you need to read this article from understand: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xiii-how-will-it-work-on-360-article it's hilarious.
I don't really get your point. This article is based purely on conjecture, with no actual 360 code to work from.

Aside from that, he appears to have been correct on a lot of his points. I really don't see how this tells us anything, other than the guy know what he's talking about to be honest.

:/ indeed.

KageMaru

It's supposed FFXIII would run better just because 360 has the super edram (he love so much the edram, never forget to mentione that) but don't know anything how works FFXIII engine... what said in the article it's just speculation, no more.

Yeah, that's not what he's saying at all.

Edit: Saw you added to your original post. Of course it's speculation, well part of it anyways. There's no way to know everything for sure without having the game code sitting in front of us. Regardless, he's more knowledgeable than most of GAF, but people question him anyways because they don't agree with his findings.

sleepykyo

It's supposed FFXIII would run better just because 360 has the super edram (he love so much the edram, never forget to mentione that) but don't know anything how works FFXIII engine... what said in the article it's just speculation, no more. & in fact FFXIII-2 continue to run better on the ps3.

Which was predicated on changing the lighting.

danwarb

There's not a lot wrong with that article to be fair. There were some strange decisions made for the 360 port, which didn't turn out very well. The sequel got a resolution upgrade. Still not great.

With comparisons, I think they've been accurate. Emphasising how slight the differences generally are with most multi-platform titles, "overall experience is similar" and so on. Providing videos and screenshots. The comparisons are about whatever differences exist. Not which version is shite.

lolz internet detective? I read that yesterday. You call out buddy for accusing X media for being biased and you just called IGN for being biased along with a bunch of Neogaf members.

Not really. Called him out for being silly. He's being silly. The 360 version of SD isn't better because DF said so, it's better simply because that's how the devs made it. He can't accept it for some reason, and apparently it boils down to some great conspiracy. I find that funny. Don't you? Feel free to take this to PM if you want to discuss it. I have no desire to shit up this thread any further with offtopic back and forth. Peace.

All I know or care about is it looks and runs great on 360. Managed to tear myself away from Dust for a few mins and I liked what I saw and played.

Slightly peeved by the heavy controls of the vehicles though or maybe I just keep jacking the wrong ones.

Seance

Banned
all i'm seeing is severe black crush on 360 .... edit: and i guess some texture differences.

Weird. PS3 version looks a lot more blurry to me. Especially noticeable on the text on the crate.
Maybe i'm just biased because i have a 360 and no PS3.

SRG01

I'm playing on the PS3 and I have to say the texture/blurry/upscaling work is nowhere near as bad as they say it is. It's marginally better on the 360, but both are trumped by the PC version.

DonMigs85

SSAA seems to be an incredibly wasteful method, render at a much higher res then downscale. It's hardly coding genius, more a brute force technique.

MSAA is the best balance of resources and ability. FXAA, while cheap, is, well, cheap looking. SSAA is like using a sledgehammer to crush a walnut. MSAA is a happy middle ground.

Not sure about on the PC, but MSAA doesn't play well with deferred lighting setups right?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
They should always make the PC version superior, so I can reasonably double dip...

HiiiLife

For people that have experience with the major gaming platforms.. Would it be wise to pick up multiplats on PC from now on?

LiK

For people that have experience with the major gaming platforms.. Would it be wise to pick up multiplats on PC from now on?

depends on the port. some PC ports are incredibly broken or buggy compared to console release. and some PC ports don't offer controller support which i prefer. but for games like Sleeping Dogs, the PC is the way to go.

HiiiLife

depends on the port. some PC ports are incredibly broken or buggy compared to console release. and some PC ports don't offer controller support which i prefer. but for games like Sleeping Dogs, the PC is the way to go.

Ah see that's what I hate. As bad as it sounds I always want to hope PC will be the best version. It also doesn't help that my game library is a complete mess. I'm OCD to the point that I wanted exclusives for their specific console and multiplats and PC games from Steam (cause I save money from their sales). But instead, I got multiplats here, multiplats there and more on PC. It seriously fucks with the habit of trying to keep what I think is "organized". I might just screw it all and get the multiplats on PC regardless of the port job.

LiK

Ah see that's what I hate. As bad as it sounds I always want to hope PC will be the best version. It also doesn't help that my game library is a complete mess. I'm OCD to the point that I wanted exclusives for their specific console and multiplats and PC games from Steam (cause I save money from their sales). But instead, I got multiplats here, multiplats there and more on PC. It seriously fucks with the habit of trying to keep what I think is "organized". I might just screw it all and get the multiplats on PC regardless of the port job.

yea, it's always good to wait for reviews if you're unsure.

NinjaBoiX

Anyone who read it before, has anything fundamental changed in this version?

Wonder why it was taken down.
I had a quick glance, there didn't seem to be any changes. EG usually have an "UPDATE" message at the top when there is an edit. I think it was just an accident, or maybe too early.
Most of it is in the OP anyway, see you can see for yourself. It got taken down before I could grab the PC stuff. You've just reminded me, ill update the OP.

LiK

I had a quick glance, there didn't seem to be any changes. EG usually have and "UPDATE" message at the top when there is an edit. I think it was just an accident, or maybe too early.

my guess would be the videos embedded on the site. maybe they had to re-render them.

B-Dex

I have it for PS3 and honestly on my 1080p display it looks better than those images. And I never once noticed any screen tear or frame dips.

nasos_333

I have it for PS3 and honestly on my 1080p display it looks better than those images. And I never once noticed any screen tear or frame dips.

Almost any game i have played looks a lot better on my HDTV comparing to screenshots on a PC screen

It is the extra color saturation and brightness probably that make colors pop a lot better, depends on the HDTV too

From what i see this game is about same as Skyrim case, PS3 seems to have a bit better AA but looks more blurry due to that

360 looks a bit crisper with a bit less AA, both versions would look rather fine on an actual HDTV imo

Bittercup

I have it for PS3 and honestly on my 1080p display it looks better than those images.
Of cause it does look better. Every game does :D
It's partly because of what nasos_333 says, the quality of your TV/monitor, but a big part plays the viewing distance as well.
Console games are developed to be played on a TV and normally you sit a bit further away from your TV than from a PC monitor. And this lessens the negative impact of lower AA, texture quality etc on the image quality to a certain degree.
I have unfortunately no TV, only a monitor I use for both, PC and console games, but for console games the first thing I do before playing is moving my chair back to get a comparable distance like I had with a TV since without that even games like Uncharted 3 look very mediocre from such a short distance instead of jaw dropping it normally does.
Therefore graphic comparisons like this are almost never a 100% accurate representation of how the game looks, but they're still interesting for comparison because not only does the PS3 version look in reality better than on these pictures, the Xbox360 version does as well and in the end has the better image quality in this case. For multi console owners good to know.

Haunted

From now on?

Has been the way to go for years now. There's the occasional botched port, but even barebones ports usually look better and all around outperform their console counterparts. And then you get into the decent and good port range and there's just no comparison.

Bittercup

I disagree, I played Uncharted 3 on both my PC monitor and my HDTV and the game looked very good each time.
Maybe you have a better monitor than I do, mine was a cheap one (or a not so good TV :D) At least for me there is a very significant difference.

Eideka

Banned
Maybe you have a better monitor than I do, mine was a cheap one (or a not so good TV :D) At least for me there is a very significant difference.

Yes, on a very good gaming monitor this is not a problem anymore.

By the way, an HDTV does not magically "enhance" a console game, Uncharted 3 is the same game whether it's being displayed on my Bravia or on my Asus monitor.

My point is that the DF comparison is objective and accurate, you don't judge graphics by standing 6feet away from the display. It's not "unfair" IMO to compare the three versions in this way.

KageMaru

I imagine it may have been pulled since face offs are usually posted on Saturdays. Maybe it was posted too early.

I'm playing on the PS3 and I have to say the texture/blurry/upscaling work is nowhere near as bad as they say it is. It's marginally better on the 360, but both are trumped by the PC version.

Do you have the 360 and pc versions along with the ps3 version?

Not sure about on the PC, but MSAA doesn't play well with deferred lighting setups right?

Correct, which is why games rarely use or offer it when deferred rendering is used.

It does, but at the cost of a significant performance hit.

Wouldn't a massive performance hit mean it doesn't play well? =p

Bittercup

My point is that the DF comparison is objective, you don't judge graphics by standing 6feet away from the display.
Yes that's what I meant with the last sentence of my post.
The pictures might not look exactly the same as they do on ones TV but they are still good for comparison as they show the actual graphic of a game and that's enough for an objective comparison which version has better textures, resolution etc.

KongRudi

Banned
I find that 90% of the times multiplatform-games are supposedly running like crap, run fine at my PS3. :-/ Also kind of strange that the 360 picture on the last page with close-up of the dude, were full of jaggies under his arms, while it's non of that on PS3, but supposedly the AA were much better on 360. :-/

The most annoying thing about these kind of articles, is that they never take into account what kind of sound there is. - They just mention the standard formats, but there is a huge difference if there is bass-heavy music on DTS and DD, while if there is more tinny chip-music, the difference is negligable.

Reiko

Banned
I find that 90% of the times multiplatform-games are supposedly running like crap, run fine at my PS3. :-/ Also kind of strange that the 360 picture on the last page with close-up of the dude, were full of jaggies under his arms, while it's non of that on PS3, but supposedly the AA were much better on 360. :-/

The most annoying thing about these kind of articles, is that they never take into account what kind of sound there is. - They just mention the standard formats, but there is a huge difference if there is bass-heavy music on DTS and DD, while if there is more tinny chip-music, the difference is negligable.
It looks that way due to upscaling and FXAA on PS3

Top Bottom