• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF face-off: Sleeping Dogs

No, I'm not in the beta. Using the standard dash (current, non-beta release).

That's great news, though.

Hopefully they'll be rolling it out soon, I think you'll be happier with how snappy it is and how fast your content loads.

There are still a couple of tabs between the dash and the games tab though, which is ever so slightly annoying. I had hoped they would move it closer as the E3 presser pic showed, but they haven't...yet. (still holding out hope they will, however vain it is)

because leadbetter hates sony,he trolls them since the days he was an editor for the sega saturn magazine

Sonyfan victim-complex is approaching Nintendo-esque levels. You'd think winning Gamescon would have made you all happy. Guess not.

Hopefully they'll be rolling it out soon, I think you'll be happier with how snappy it is and how fast your content loads.

There are still a couple of tabs between the dash and the games tab though, which is ever so slightly annoying. I had hoped they would move it closer as the E3 presser pic showed, but they haven't...yet. (still holding out hope they will, however vain it is)

Not anymore. Games is next to Social on my beta UI now. I think it happened yesterday.

it's just for comparison sake. they also usually offer screens at higher resolutions. it lets you see what the PC version is doing for the game BEYOND just increasing the resolution, which in this case seems to be quite a bit.

Fair enough, but it is misleading. If anybody wants to see what the PC version looks like n action, check out the screen grabs posted by people in the official thread. Lime this one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41128201&postcount=3124

The Giant Bomb quicklook is also a good representation. This really is the type of game, like Witcher 2 before it, that shows off the platform.

KageMaru

Haven't they rolled out the new dash yet? I thought he was talking about that one, not the old one, which was admittedly slow and somewhat hard to use.

Thank God for the mini dash, eh.

No the new dash hasn't been rolled out yet. =p

It was a bad, bad port. Low res, low draw distance, no AA, longer loading, worse performance, basically every aspect.

But I'd ignore DF, they're clearly lying, 360 fan boys. They aren't to be trusted!

I wouldn't really say it was a bad port per se, I just think the design of the game didn't agree with the PS3's architecture very well. Many of the cut-backs can be explained through bottlenecks in the system. I have a few friends who are still happy with the game on the ps3.

You mean Bierton? He wrote the face-off.

lol

No, I'm not in the beta. Using the standard dash (current, non-beta release).

That's great news, though.

It won't help your issue with the game cases, which I totally agree on, but my 98 games now load up in under 9 seconds.

because leadbetter hates sony,he trolls them since the days he was an editor for the sega saturn magazine

of course not

lmao I knew you were a poster not to be taken serious. Just another joke poster along with your buddy AgentP.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Multi-plats are rarely worse on the ps3 these days and the PS3 has provided some amazing games this gen. You're being a bit dramatic here.

It's true now and two years from now it will still be true. Right up until the end of PS3 lifecycle.

NinjaBoiX

it doesn't really matter who wrote the article here,as this is a game where the ps3 port is clearly inferior
Oh, so DF only lies when they think they might get away with it. Gotcha.

I guess they wait till the teacher is out of the room eh?

KageMaru

Not anymore. Games is next to Social on my beta UI now. I think it happened yesterday.

Wat o_0

I was playing last night and Games was not next to Social on my dash. Wonder if there's an update waiting for me when I get home.

it doesn't really matter who wrote the article here,as this is a game where the ps3 port is clearly inferior

So when Rich is the author, it matters because you can point the blame at his "bias" but when you're argument falls apart, it suddenly doesn't matter?

lol why not just admit you're wrong instead of digging a bigger hole, making yourself look worse in the process?

It's true now and two years from now it will still be true. Right up until the end of PS3 lifecycle.

It's only true in your head and obviously no one can convince you otherwise. I love the platform and don't get this kind of ignorant hate.

Majanew

Banned

Watching those vids makes it look like each version just gets better IQ than the other lol. The 360/PC comparison made it look like the PC is being held back again by this old ass console hardware there.

And a fat LOL at the transparent Sony fans' agendas backfiring.

Wat o_0

I was playing last night and Games was not next to Social on my dash. Wonder if there's an update waiting for me when I get home.

It didn't happen with an update that I had to download. After the last beta patch it was still on the (wrong)right side of video/tv, but yesterday I noticed it moved right next to Social.

sleepykyo

The 360/PC comparison made it look like the PC is being held back again by this old ass console hardware there.

Maybe if the master race would spend more on the publishers in comparison to their hardware, developers wouldn't have to satisfy the peasants.

Pranay

Watching those vids makes it look like each version just gets better IQ than the other lol. The 360/PC comparison made it look like the PC is being held back again by this old ass console hardware there.

And a fat LOL at the transparent Sony fans' agendas backfiring.

The Developers have done their best what they could do for the platform.

Such posts will just lead to system wars which is not required.

Developers should lead on PS3 ! Than you create product parity and that's what is best for consumers.

how do you justify spending more time and resources on one version to have parity when they're both $60? that extra time spent on the PS3 could be used to polish the 360 version. In effect, a small amount of your purchase will go towards funding the other game.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's only true in your head and obviously no one can convince you otherwise. I love the platform and don't get this kind of ignorant hate.

It's okay. I'll remind you in a couple of years time when we still keep getting sub standard PS3 ports. Maybe your Sony rose tinted googles will have fallen off by then.

And yes. I've got a PS3 as well as a 360 (as well as a Wii and a PC). I think I'm a little less biased then you.

Haunted

Great news reading the impressions on the PC version, btw. Seems like they hit pretty much everything I'd expect from a console up-port.

Returners

Just sad though, I thought UFG developed Modnation which was a PS3 exclusive, I would hope that they understood the PS3 architecture enough.

Nevertheless, unless there is a serious performance issue (Double Agent yuck), I would always get the PS3 version.

Violater

I have slowly become a PC gamer for the rest of this Gen for multi-plat games.
At the res I game my little 5770 out performs consoles now.
Though to be honest I still have to use my DS3.....

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Just sad though, I thought UFG developed Modnation which was a PS3 exclusive, I would hope that they understood the PS3 architecture enough.

Nevertheless, unless there is a serious performance issue (Double Agent yuck), I would always get the PS3 version.

Considering how Modnation Racers supposedly ran on PS3, why would you expect this to be any better on PS3?

NinjaBoiX

Did you play Modnation? Dat loading screen...

I saw the UFG logo on one of the Sleeping Dogs previews and immediately winced. Game turned out pretty well though all things told!

mxgt

Banned

Not really, the videos are compressed 720p which makes them look a lot closer than it is.

In reality a 1080p/1400p/1600p max setting SD on PC is going to look light years better than the 360 version, not that it's really a surprise.

Kind of surprised how bad the IQ is on the PS3 version seeing how well the dev did with the PC version.

ironcreed

Banned
Man this thread is angry.

I take it most people have this game already?

I have the PS3 version and it plays and runs fine. It does not look quite as crisp as the 360 version texture-wise, but it still manages to look alright. People are acting like the PS3 version is some unplayable, broken mess and I find that hilarious. Got to love 'TeH SyStEm WaRz.'

KageMaru

It didn't happen with an update that I had to download. After the last beta patch it was still on the (wrong)right side of video/tv, but yesterday I noticed it moved right next to Social.

Good to know, thanks.

how do you justify spending more time and resources on one version to have parity when they're both $60? that extra time spent on the PS3 could be used to polish the 360 version. In effect, a small amount of your purchase will go towards funding the other game.

Publishers push for parity because the gamers expect it. If you're developing on the PS3 anyways, you might as well code your game well for the system since that type of engineering usually benefits the 360 as well.

Given the studio's experience with the ps3, I thought it was the lead platform.

It's okay. I'll remind you in a couple of years time when we still keep getting sub standard PS3 ports. Maybe your Sony rose tinted googles will have fallen off by then.

And yes. I've got a PS3 as well as a 360 (as well as a Wii and a PC). I think I'm a little less biased then you.

Lol look at my post history and you'll see I'm not wearing any glasses. I just don't care for extreme comments that are rarely based in reality. The 360 also receives some inferior ports these days as well yah know.

Also, claiming you lack bias because you own a system or systems is a joke. All that tells me is you're willing to spend extra money to troll.

The difference between these games are borderline negligible compared to the PC version, it seems almost comical.

Sonyfan victim-complex is approaching Nintendo-esque levels. You'd think winning Gamescon would have made you all happy. Guess not.

Is that why you joined Neogaf, to spread your videogame allegiance?
They were all at Chuck E Cheese celebrating Sony's birthday.

They don't give a shit about Gamescom. Can't blame Sony for going. They're in last place in the console and handheld biz. Use every opportunity to remind people that you haven't gone out of business yet. And then throw some money at IGN to write you a love letter. Bing bang boom. Success!

PKB.

mxgt

Banned
I don't understand. Isn't the ps3 architecture completely different to that of a PC?

I know they aren't related and I don't really know the ins and outs of PS3 development but it's been out for 6 years, why are sub HD games still being produced?

Jigsaw

Banned
So when Rich is the author, it matters because you can point the blame at his "bias" but when you're argument falls apart, it suddenly doesn't matter?

when one port runs in 720p and the other in 640p it doesn't matter who writes the article,it's a bad port and anyone can see this,i don't have problems with it when he destroys bad ps3 ports (that's what the lazy developers deserve),i just can't take it when he on the other hand defends bad 360 ports

he made oblivion win on 360 (600p vs 720p on ps3),he made ninja gaiden 2 a tie (585p with 1 digit framerate at times vs 720p mostly smooth),he put so much passion in the ff13 article to defend the 360 hardware and put the blame on square while on bayonetta he just said over and over what a trainwreck the ps3 hardware is

abracadaver

Will buy the PC version on Steam for 2,49€ in a few months

Is there a comparison of hd texture pack installed vs not installed ?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I know they aren't related and I don't really know the ins and outs of PS3 development but it's been out for 6 years, why are sub HD games still being produced?

Weak GPU, split RAM and an architecture that is still hard to code for when you're doing multiplat games and don't have the luxury of being allowed to focus on a single architecture.

dummydecoy

I got the PS3 version from Gamefly and noticed the tearing and uneven framerate right away. Not sure how much better the 360 version is but the PS3 version definitely feels like a b-tier game as far as graphics, gameplay and polish go.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad Eurogamer does this kind of reviews. Another game off my to buy list. I just can't stand screen tear and frame dips. Red Dead Redemption was such an eye sore, especially in towns like Thieves Landing.

Perhaps I'll just play this someday when I get a decent PC, or I hope they rerelease these games again with better performance on nextgen consoles.

NinjaBoiX

Oh, I agree. Sub-HD shouldn't still be "a thing". I was just confused as to why you thought the ps3 version would be good based on the PC version. This would make more sense regarding the 360 version, but ps3 and PC architecture are a world apart, hence the difficulty porting.

The difference between these games are borderline negligible compared to the PC version, it seems almost comical.

Is that why you joined Neogaf, to spread your videogame allegiance?

PKB.

Ooooo we got ourselves an Internet Detective here! All those posts point out the inherent stupidity of declaring the only company to show up at a trade show the "winner". If you want to use that in some mythical System War you're waging, go for it. I just buy all the consoles and attempt to make myself happy with game choices.

NinjaBoiX

he put so much passion in the ff13 article to defend the 360 hardware and put the blame on square while on bayonetta he just said over and over what a trainwreck the ps3 hardware is
Isn't this justified, when like 90% of the time the 360 version is better? If a certain horse wins races again and again and again, then suddenly, with a jockey new to the horse, it performs really badly, you're more likely to blame the jockey than the horse right?

KageMaru

Part of knowing a system is knowing it's bottlenecks. I'm not entirely familiar with what's going on with Sleeping Dogs, but depending on how the engine is set up, there could be legitimate reasons why each version turned out the way it did.

when one port runs in 720p and the other in 640p it doesn't matter who writes the article,it's a bad port and anyone can see this,i don't have problems with it when he destroys bad ps3 ports (that's what the lazy developers deserve),i just can't take it when he on the other hand defends bad 360 ports

he made oblivion win on 360 (600p vs 720p on ps3),he made ninja gaiden 2 a tie (585p with 1 digit framerate at times vs 720p mostly smooth),he put so much passion in the ff13 article to defend the 360 hardware and put the blame on square while on bayonetta he just said over and over what a trainwreck the ps3 hardware is

Yeah, you'll have to provide specific examples and such because it's really hard for me to take someone serious when they have an obvious bias.

I've read all those articles and he usually provides a theory or explanation why one version turned out the way it did. Sometimes, as with the case of FFXIII, he also questions why a version turned out the way it did when there is no logical explanation presenting itself from the analysis.

Judging by your posts, you likely don't understand half of what he talks about, so how can you question the validity of his findings or opinions?

Oh, I agree. Sub-HD shouldn't still be "a thing".

There's no reason sub-HD shouldn't exist today. If anything, sub-HD should be more commonplace with developers trying to do more and more on these aging systems.

Ooooo we got ourselves an Internet Detective here! All those posts point out the inherent stupidity of declaring the only company to show up at a trade show the "winner". If you want to use that in some mythical System War you're waging, go for it. I just buy all the consoles and attempt to make myself happy with game choices.

lolz internet detective? I read that yesterday. You call out buddy for accusing X media for being biased and you just called IGN for being biased along with a bunch of Neogaf members.

omonimo

Banned
Isn't this justified, when like 90% of the time the 360 version is better? If a certain horse wins races again and again and again, then suddenly, with a jockey new to the horse, it performs really badly, you're more likely to blame the jockey than the horse right?

:/ Crystal engine was born on ps3, I think it's normal to expect a badly FFXIII porting in so little time...by the way I found Leadbetter the worst gender of fanboy: he tried to cover its preferences behind the technical knowledge...you need to read this article from understand: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xiii-how-will-it-work-on-360-article it's hilarious.

Top Bottom