• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
FXAA is also post-process and was developed before God of War 3 shipped. Nice try, though.

Copenap

Why is it every time the discussion is about graphics some people quickly start to bring up the point "the average Joe will not care about the difference".

Why would I give a fuck about the average Joe? This is a gaming board, I (we) care about these differences. Sure graphics aren't everything and I play more indie games than "AAA" games but if it's the same freaking game on both platforms I do care about this stuff. Imo Videogamer sums it up nicely:
To some people, the difference will be negligible. [...] Both versions offer a noticeable step up over the current-generation far beyond just the frame-rate, and while there are subtle differences in quality between the top-end PC version and next-gen console, few PS4 players will likely complain about the magnificent visual experience on offer here.

But to those that do care (presumably those of you reading this), the difference in image quality between the two consoles is clearly visible. In the Xbox One’s case – a hugely important launch title for Microsoft’s machine- it makes the step up to next-gen that little less spectacular, signifying a trait players have been used to for years on current-gen consoles and an obvious step down from PC.

Fair enough, its your money. But dont start "comparing" the versions when you have already before and after, decided which console to get. There are differences in quality, differences in price that matter to a ton of people. Enjoy your Xbox
Who are you to tell me that I can't compare?
Off course quality and price tags matter and I'm not deciding which console to buy simply because of BF4, that would be stupid.
I'm deciding because of the games, the controller, the UI and more.
Am I worried about the xbone keeping up in the future ? YES ! But they will probably and I godly hope so, will use the clod as they say to make games keeping up and better MP.
So why not buy the PS4 now and get the better experience? Then when the Kinect actually has a use (like you said a few years) buy that system.
As said above ;).

Into

I don't mind debating, my calm down was to the sheer volume of posts saying the same thing within about 5 minutes.

The N64 launched over a year after the PS1, just like the PS3 launched a year after the 360.

If those launches were aligned who could really say how they would have fared differently?

The PSX would have destroyed the N64 regardless, carts vs. cds etc. Wii U launched a year ago, nobody gives a shit. Despite the Wii winning this gen and according to your theory should have more mind share than Xbox or Playstation brands, since it sold more than both.

This is not a sales thread, so this is off topic. Past accomplishments do not carry much weight in this industry, there is evidence for that everywhere. You will see for yourself in a few months

Durante

I'd like to note a few things, which I've been saving for this occasion:
  • The PS4 version has 56% higher resolution than the XB1 version. In various theoretical metrics, its GPU is between 45% and 90% faster than the XB1 GPU. So much for theoretical performance not mattering "in the real world".
  • Clearly, a high-end PC can substantially outperform both of these new consoles at launch. Sounds obvious, but it's still not something that everyone agreed with a scant few months ago.

In conclusion, everything is just like you would expect from the specs. No secret sauce, no massive factor of console magic. How surprising.

Chinner

Banned
Dark10x (who another poster said works for DF) has surmised that DF used their own capture device but didn't have time to really configure it properly for the new systems, while the other outlets all used the same Elgato capture device that DICE provided. That's why DF's is the only one that looks massively different.

they must have had some time to configure it, the xb1 capture has additional filters and colour changes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
word of advice to some of you...don't ever get your tv calibrated. they turn your sharpness down to 0 and everything gets all blurry without the artificial edge enhancement.
To be fair, how I (and others) calibrate a TV isn't always the best fit for games. The standards are aimed at film content.

Game content, however, has no real standard so it's impossible to properly calibrate a TV to work with it. I always like to do one "picture mode" to ISF specification, copy it, and then modify a second mode to produce an image more pleasing for games. Of course, I still keep sharpness disabled along with anything else "dynamic" as that ruins the image.

The problem here is that some people actually think these artificial enhancements look great. Why is that a problem? If people like the look of something, why not use it? The issue arises when the type of content switches. Those dynamic settings can look acceptable with certain types of imagery but, switch to something else, and suddenly the picture looks terrible. A bright outdoor scene looks vibrant and sharp, for instance, but a dark underground, dimly lit area will be completely missing detail while colors (such as skin tones) are destroyed often appearing more red/orange. Basically, those enhancements are poorly suited for ALL content.

Calibration is designed to provide an even, accurate experience across all range of content which matches what you were intended to see. As I said, it doesn't really apply to games as much due to lack of standards, but the results are still similar with some scenes being ruined by these enhancements.

Into

Who are you to tell me that I can't compare?
Off course quality and price tags matter and I'm not deciding which console to buy simply because of BF4, that would be stupid.
I'm deciding because of the games, the controller, the UI and more.
Am I worried about the xbone keeping up in the future ? YES ! But they will probably and I godly hope so, will use the clod as they say to make games keeping up and better MP.

Because it comes across as disingenuous for you to compare anything when you have already decided on what to buy, so its about you justifying your purchase rather than objectively comparing them, which is pointless.

No problem with you getting a Xbox, enjoy it. Yes the "clod" will make everything better.

Wait wtf. Looks like the Jackfrag video shows off better lighting on the X1 than what DF is showing? What the hell is happening?

So the difference sums up to:

Better AA on PS4
Sharper picture on the XB1.

Wow. All that drama for THIS? Jeez.

My god, you have some very nice selective reading skills if this was the only things you took away from the comparisons. PS4 is better in many more areas.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Not had a chance to properly disect things as I'm on my phone but the difference is huge. Over a 50% resolution advantage and better effects and yet the PS4 still runs at a higher frame rate. Despite What you may think of the visual impact in this particular case, that's a huge and damning assessment of the performance chasm between these two machines.

Pretty much, and it aligns nicely with the armchair calculations that we did during the last months. The gap is actually larger than expected due to differences in framerate dips and AA.

Personally, I care more about framerate dips than resolution. The fact that both versions fail to hit 1080p leaves me generally disappointed in this respect, although this is not really news.

In conclusion, everything is just like you would expect from the specs. No secret sauce, no massive factor of console magic. How surprising.

+1

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So the question is. How much of this is down to the lack of hardware power and how much of this is down to the lack of maturity of the development tools for both systems. Because if a next gen game console can't run a game like this in native 1080p then why did the platform holders even bother?

they must have had some time to configure it, the xb1 capture has additional filters and colour changes.

I'm just writing what Dark10x posted. It's way too many pages back to try to find the specific post at the speed this thread was moving at the time.

Regardless of what the specific issue is, something happened with DF's capturing because none of videos captured by other outlets match it. So as the odd man out, it's comparison has to be disqualified for this game at least.

Edit: Quadraphonic linked it below, so I'm editing the original post into this one. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87932265&postcount=2560

This is coming from someone who isnt incredibly tech savvy, but come on man...

For the people saying PS4 is blurry, compare that to what the pc looks like. Theyre for the most part pretty much the same. With the PC obviously having the much better AA.

I dont think people realize how disgusting those jaggies are gonna look on their 50 inch TV when they turn on their xbox.

I have a feeling many of you who are trying to downplay this discrepancy in resolution, AA, and frame rate will be a little taken aback by what you see come launch day.

I can't bother to follow this thread back and forth to determine which version REALLY is the super-slightly better looking version.

The difference is clearly minute, so I'm just going with whichever version my friends play.

Why is it every time the discussion is about graphics some people quickly start to bring up the point "the average Joe will not care about the difference".

Why would I give a fuck about the average Joe? This is a gaming board, I (we) care about these differences. Sure graphics aren't everything and I play more indie games than "AAA" games but if it's the same freaking game on both platforms I do care about this stuff. Imo Videogamer sums it up nicely:

Totally. I don't go onto audiophile websites and tell them, "the average person doesn't care and will just download it from iTunes." Well of course, but so what? That's not why any of us are here.

Will it outsell the likes of the big boys? Nah. That's almost impossible. But it will likely become at least that secondary title, if not a "must-have," for FPS fans that buy PS4s, if only to show what the system can do when it "stretches its legs" a bit. If I were buying a launch PS4, I'd certainly be picking up a copy. I'm thinking this will be a lot of folks' first Killzone game too, (especially folks who were 360-only gamers last gen who are making the switch,) so it's good Guerrilla made the decision to make this game a sort of a reboot of the franchise too.

You just summarized my point of view perfectly. Switching from Microsoft to Sony this generation and have only played portions of previous Killzone games. After the videos I am debating picking up BF4 as well.

c0de

I'd like to note a few things, which I've been saving for this occasion:
  • The PS4 version has 56% higher resolution than the XB1 version. In various theoretical metrics, its GPU is between 45% and 90% faster than the XB1 GPU. So much for theoretical performance not mattering "in the real world".
  • Clearly, a high-end PC can substantially outperform both of these new consoles at launch. Sounds obvious, but it's still not something that everyone agreed with a scant few months ago.

Generally you are completely right. But perhaps we also have to take into account that by now the dev-tools by MS also seem to be like a mess which doesn't help to squeeze out performance of the box. But either way definitely worse looking on Xbone side.

Raide

So the question is. How much of this is down to the lack of hardware power and how much of this is down to the lack of maturity of the development tools for both systems. Because if a next gen game console can't run a game like this in native 1080p then why did the platform holders even bother?

Pretty much this.

Will be interesting 2 years down the line for BF5 on Next-Gen and PC only.

Huh, weren't there reports the PS4 version was 1080p or was that Ghosts?

Looks pretty average in any case and certainly nothing like the E3 footage, that looked incredible...this looks like a severe downgrade and then some...

Cross-gen, development tools, launch title, etc. Many factors can be attributed to the whole thing.

But as for the bolded, the declining hardware sales for consoles.

BigDug13

I'm not sure, but isn't this the only sub-1080p game that has even been announced for PS4? (besides the widescreen aspect ratio of The Order at 1920x800 pixels)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Protip: The Xbox One version of the game is intentionally botching accurate colors and image reproduction in favor of over sharpening and oversaturation.

Which is leading people to call the PS4 washed out. I think it started this gen when higher contrast and crushed blacks suddenly (negative) = sharper graphics (positive).

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Looks pretty average in any case and certainly nothing like the E3 footage, that looked incredible...this looks like a severe downgrade and then some...

Thuway said 900p. Mort said he heard 1080p. Ghosts is 1080p on PS4, rumored 720p X1.

Sec0nd

Colours of the PS4 are so washed out. I much prefer the more saturated and contrasted colours of the Xbone. But the PS4 looks undeniably a bit sharper. Meh. Lame next gen is lame.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Ghosts.

Most reports have been talking about BF4 running at a lower resolution for a while now even suggesting that the PS4 version was running at 720p.

bGanci

Banned
For anyone still doubting there's a real difference...

First watch JackFrags XB1 capture of the Fishing in Baku campaign mission
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ycN0re_5A

Then watch the Gametrailers review which has PS4 campaign footage (you'll know if it's PC or PS4 by the queues on the screen, or the PS4 UI icons in the top right).
http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/oxobi5/battlefield-4-review

XB1 single player footage is noticeably worse. There's no way you can claim they look the same. You don't need to compare screens, just look at the actual footage.
Do we have footage if that mission being played on the Ps4? If not then you can't use it as a example. The comparison shown has x1 looking better in most scenes. Which surprises me.

I feel kind of sorry for the legitimate non-crazy and/or non-shill Junior Members who get a bad rap as a result. The spate of people banned as obvious social marketers basically has me doubting every post from people with Junior Member tags.

The good ones will be fine. Don't feel sorry for us, I'm having fun. That's the point right?

There's some crazy comments coming from a handful of members here as well.

Clockwork

Colours of the PS4 are so washed out. I much prefer the more saturated and contrasted colours of the Xbone. But the PS4 looks undeniably a bit sharper. Meh. Lame next gen is lame.

But only the DF video is like this. You can achieve the same disgusting results on either platform via your tv remote.

eso76

Do we know if the console (XB1) was set to output in 720p or 1080p from the dashboard in either capture ?

because that might be the reason why footage looks different / sharpened.

If not, i'm curious to see the differences.

And console war aside, i think the game looks great for a 60fps launch game.

I must admit that the PS4 does look better.. It's not apparent right away, but it is if you look more closely.

Is there any chance the gap will be smaller in the future (thanks to better ESRAM tools etc..)?

You are forgetting that PS4 outperforms Xbone while rendering 50% more pixels. If the Xbone had to render at the same resolution the performance difference would be massive.

FXAA is also post-process and was developed before God of War 3 shipped. Nice try, though.

Are you going to answer my question? What form of AA do you think the PS4 version is using, we know it's using something, and it's almost guaranteed to be a form of post processing AA (FXAA)?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Generally you are completely right. But perhaps we also have to take into account that by now the dev-tools by MS also seem to be like a mess which doesn't help to squeeze out performance of the box.

However, the state of tools doesn't make it impossible to squeeze all the juice out of the system. I bet that games like Ryse are doing quite well. Generally, I don't think that the gap in "optimization" is that large. Especially since it is very probable that the system with the most problems got the most manpower budget to get the game ready for release.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
the software scaler does suck and sony should have used a hardware one. I've seen screenshots from other sites where it looks blurry on ps4. its gutting i know but FOR this game, it is sadly true. it has the gasoline look on ps4
It's because of FXAA, which I'm guessing it's using , and the fact that it's being upscaled in the first place, not because of type of scaler.

Top Bottom