• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

kpaadet

Watching all this BF4 footage has really made it apperent that Dice is still at the top of their game when it comes to audio.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
to me it looks like the ps4 verison has a bug with the clouds. they are still there on the xbox one but look more natural. also looking at polygons images and we have the same results as digital foundry. the ps4 version is softened and blurred to a horrible extent and the xbox one is jaggy but sharper.

Does the ps4 not havea harware scaler this time?? i can't believe it if sony passed one up again after the ps3.

:/

its a bit upsetting that neither can downright be called the winner, in what the human eye see's but I personally am happier with my ps4 purchase as i know once develops get to grips with it, that there is more horsepower under the hood. I just pray that the ps4 doesn't havea software scaler and no hardware, that would be an absoultely stupid idea

Clockwork

Biggest takeaway?

The PS4 software upscaling sucks. But, the Xbox One hardware upscaler is awesome.

PS4 pushes ~50% more pixels but you sure don't see that huge gap onscreen.

Who confirmed the PS4 does software up scaling while XBOX One has hardware upscaling?

I think that was just an assumption DF made based on their capture results, which now appear to be flawed from the beginning,

Sadly this is how rumors start.

Kashinoda

Banned
Worked out real well for Sony last generation.

Will they? That's what Microsoft is banking on but they've really pushed their luck this time.

Like they did with xbox 360 when ps3 came out despite ps2 being the most popular console in the generation before it ?

I doubt the majority of 360 owners owned the original Xbox.

Like they did with the PS3->PS3 or Wii->Wii U?

You are wrong

Fair enough, its your money. But dont start "comparing" the versions when you have already before and after, decided which console to get. There are differences in quality, differences in price that matter to a ton of people. Enjoy your Xbox

Calm down guys, 'kin hell.

Price aside, the PS3 came out a year later and had little going for it. This isn't a comparable transition.

Also what's with the 'Enjoy your Xbox' comment? I'm sharing my thoughts about casual gamers. That has nothing to do with that console I buy (which is neither, though I've always gone Sony)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
a 7950 is sub-$200 and people are claiming a steady 60FPS with a mix of high and ultra.

i very, very much doubt the console versions are running at ultra, either.
I also very much doubt those people claiming a "steady" 60 fps. I'm using a GTX680 which performs faster in Battlefield and am unable to maintain a solid 60 fps without dropping the resolution scaler setting. At 1080p with high/ultra settings I cannot maintain 60 by any means and I don't believe those who claim they are doing on on a 7950.

There's a difference between holding 60 fps solid and getting a somewhat variable 60 fps.

Erasus

This is the most sensible thing written in this entire thread.

Xbone version looks fine, 1% will care about the difference and make out it's the most significant moment in gaming history.

Get some sleep people.

It does look fine when compared on its own, or vs the 360. Its does not look fine when comapred to the PS4 in IQ and frame-rate. And this is a launch title. Lower resolution, worse framerate and missing effects like SSAO.

The casuals follow the nerds to some extent "CoD feels smoother on 360", "Uncharted looks amazing", "I hear the games look better on PS4 -Why? -idunnololijusthearditXD" but they dont know shit about what resolution, effects or framerate is but everyone can feel and see a difference. Its why CoD is so popular "it feels smoother".

The thing with PS3vs360 was that the PS3 had a complicated architechture but it is a bit more powerful than the 360. The XOne seems to have a more complicated architechture than the PS4 AND worse in CPU/GPU power due to the slow DDR3 RAM patched with ESRAM that needs to be managed, and a straight up worse GPU. So even if devs use the ESRAM 100%, cloud powah 100% and the GPU to its fullest, if devs do the same on PS4, it will still be ahead.

Just watched PS4 Flood Zone mp footage and-

this guy was right:

44HqgAI.png

its freakin bizarre >_>

Into

This probably shows the largest difference yet it's not in OP. C'mon Newman.
HWb79lR.gif

So let me get this straight:

DF used some kind of tv sharpner feature and that made the XB1 look more pixelated and darker than it really is?

So if they hadn't done that, the differences would be even less visible? Wow.

Do you not see the jaggies on the Xbox version, look at the gun and the car to the left. Lack of details in the cloud?

The contrast is jacked, look at the chopper in both versions. The Xbox one has black holes of no detail because the contrast has been jacked. You can do that with your 360 right now and achieve the same effect.

But you cannot remove the jaggies and lack of effects by merely fucking with the remote

Raide

Biggest takeaway?

The PS4 software upscaling sucks. But, the Xbox One hardware upscaler is awesome.

Xbone has a few jaggies, but PS4 doesn't look as sharp...weirdly blurry in places where it shouldn't be.

Seems so. While the PS4 does have the higher numbers, both sides should be very happy with the game looking really good and at stable framerates. Also getting the real BF feel with full maps and 64 players is also most welcome.

T.O.P

Banned
Yup Xbone for Exclusives and PC for Multis as i already planned

@was expecting more of a difference between the two, not bad

HMC

I'm not paying a 100usd more to get the same game that I could have had on ps4. I'm actually paying a 100 bucks more, because I'm confident in kinect ( Yes, I said it). I believe people actually are underestimating the kinect and it's just matter of a few years before we actually get a ground breaking thing with it, but don't ask me what, I'm no dev.
I'm not paying, I'm investing, I believe I will get a better experience with the xbone and if that not the case, then I'll buy a ps4 later on and play gret exclusives on there too.

Agree. People seem to have a hard time grasping the desire to purchase Kinect.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why not use hardware upscale ? I dont get it.
Frostbite 3 has its own internal scaling feature which can be used on the PC as well.

so the df comparison video is basically worthless?
I don't think so. It still very clearly shows the major differences while providing a performance graph. The contrast issue doesn't suddenly eliminate the primary differences. Provided you understand that it should be easy to look beyond those issues.

derwalde

ITT: reality flipping...?! so there are people who are telling to themselves, that the xbone version is on par now? dat buyers remorse...

Wait wtf. Looks like the Jackfrag video shows off better lighting on the X1 than what DF is showing? What the hell is happening?

So the difference sums up to:

Better AA on PS4
Sharper picture on the XB1.

Wow. All that drama for THIS? Jeez.

Lol, better AA isn't the only advantage of the PS4 version. And even if we assume that the PS4 version is indeed less sharp than the X1 version, which is debatable when it seems DF had problems with capturing, the fun begins when we begin comparing the rest of the games on both platforms. Because, you know, BF4 is the only PS4 title with <1080p. CoD will be interesting, 720p vs 1080p.

sTaTIx

I must admit that the PS4 does look better.. It's not apparent right away, but it is if you look more closely.

Is there any chance the gap will be smaller in the future (thanks to better ESRAM tools etc..)?

I think the difference should be higher, at least in the short term future. This is because DICE somehow botched the scaling or AA somewhat, resulting in an unnecessarily blurry PS4 image. If the PS4 didn't have that blur filter on it, the huge technical advantage over the 720p Xbone would be even more apparent.

Looking in the long-term, one could argue that devs will get more used to utilizing ESRAM. But on the flipside, 32MB of ESRAM is not very much, and could very well be a permanent bottleneck that doesn't get any better--or even gets worse--considering how many, many games will be using more sophisticated deferred rendering engines in the future. Deferred rendering seems to be the bane of the Xbone's ESRAM.

Into

Calm down guys, 'kin hell.

Price aside, the PS3 came out a year later and had little going for it. This isn't a comparable transition.

Also what's with the 'Enjoy your Xbox' comment? I'm sharing my thoughts about casual gamers. That has nothing to do with that console I buy (which is neither, though I've always gone Sony)

It is a comparable situation, you just do want it to be. Wii U is doing horribly, despite Wii flying off the shelves. N64 did badly despite SNES dominating its generation.

History has shown you are wrong.

And please, do not tell us to "calm down". You made a bad argument and we corrected you.

Guymelef

Wait wtf. Looks like the Jackfrag video shows off better lighting on the X1 than what DF is showing? What the hell is happening?

Better AA on PS4

I would expect no less from you.
Thanks for the laughs.

Do you not see the jaggies on the Xbox version, look at the gun and the car to the left. Lack of details in the cloud?

The contrast is jacked, look at the chopper in both versions. The Xbox one has black holes of no detail because the contrast has been jacked. You can do that with your 360 right now and achieve the same effect.

But you cannot remove the jaggies and lack of effects by merely fucking with the remote

I certainly see the jaggies but the PS4 version is a blurry mess.

Just look at this:

Perkel

Banned
Biggest takeaway?

Xbone has a few jaggies, but PS4 doesn't look as sharp...weirdly blurry in places where it shouldn't be.

PS4 upscaler doesn't suck.

DF botched capture. In IGN video both games have same colors.

keuja

This is the first of many videos. There was already an apology made.

If they continue to mess up like this, then sure, but pre-launch, all of this stuff is a mess of VERY VERY controlled situations with no real shot of second chances. Every so often one little setting is wrong. Cut 'em some slack for now.

Where?

Metfanant

Bullshit.

You're not going to get comparable performance at 1080p Ultra on a sub-$200 GPU. The framerate will be dipping far below 60 fps on such a card. You're massively underestimating the requirements.

its just one of the classic arguments the PC Elite use to bash the consoles...they love to point out that the $500 laptops from 4 years ago are more powerful then the PS4/Xbone...

then of course the recommended requirements for the new games started to come out and they were shitting bricks....

Better AA on PS4

annnnnnnnnnd 56% higher resolution....higher average framerate...effects that dont exist on the Xbone version....

yeah...

I dont think my tv (panasonic viera) has edge enhancement!

i remember reading awhile back on some forums that Panasonic sets had some built in edge enhancement, and dont have a menu option to turn it off...if thats the case then just try lowering the sharpness

cchum

People need to watch the JackFrags videos. The IGN one is also better than digital foundrys.

Edit: make sure you set them to 1080p

Chinner

Banned
Basically . If DF had not applied that sharpening filter to the x1 output its textures would match the ps4 and also result in less aliasing

why would they even apply a sharpening filter and change the colours? doesn't that invalidate the comparison. i mean if you're going to be consistent, at least apply the same filters and changes to both version.

Teletraan1

Banned
If I had more time, it would be interesting to collect all the crazy things said by juniors in this thread. This thread might have the record for useless shit said with most people disregarding the discussion that is going on.

Some of it is the OP is not updated to reflect the DF screw up. The comparison pics in the OP show a washed out blurry mess of a PS4 vs Super Sharp Dark Abyss XB1. I had to skip ahead to get to the actual discussion.

I'm not paying a 100usd more to get the same game that I could have had on ps4. I'm actually paying a 100 bucks more, because I'm confident in kinect ( Yes, I said it). I believe people actually are underestimating the kinect and it's just matter of a few years before we actually get a ground breaking thing with it, but don't ask me what, I'm no dev.
I'm not paying, I'm investing, I believe I will get a better experience with the xbone and if that not the case, then I'll buy a ps4 later on and play gret exclusives on there too.

So why not buy the PS4 now and get the better experience? Then when the Kinect actually has a use (like you said a few years) buy that system.

Ty4on

Wow. So uh, why does the Xbox One version look sharper?

Better lighting and AA on PS4 though.

Poor captures. The One almost looks like it has gone through a sharpening algorithm (not really in a positive way as it really makes the jaggies noticeable) and at least in DF's comparison it is oversaturated which makes the PS4 and PC look a bit washed out, but that is the intended look of the game.

Top Bottom