• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Worst. Summary. Ever.

Kind of accurate though. You can say PS4 has more pixels until you are blue in the face and it has better frame rate but just looking at the screens or vids you wouldn't know.

Most noticeable is the horrible jaggies on XBone and the blurriness on PS4.

sTaTIx

I certainly see the jaggies but the PS4 version is a blurry mess.

Just look at this:

ihrijghdqxM3C.gif

Nope. Don't see anything even remotely resembling a "blurry mess."

By your logic, the PC version is also a blurry mess, by virtue of the fact that neither the PS4 nor the PC version feature the retardedly overdone edge sharpening effect.

Piggus

Calm down guys, 'kin hell.

Price aside, the PS3 came out a year later and had little going for it. This isn't a comparable transition.

Also what's with the 'Enjoy your Xbox' comment? I'm sharing my thoughts about casual gamers. That has nothing to do with that console I buy (which is neither, though I've always gone Sony)

If you've been paying attention at all over the past five or six months, you'd know that the Xbox One has a significant disadvantage in pre-order numbers and interest in general. Go out an actually talk to people about what they're interested in and you will see that Microsoft's decisions have had a very negative impact on their fanbase. Almost every hardcore Xbox fan I know in real life has no plans to get an Xbone and wants a PS4 instead. On Facebook (casual haven), forums, Youtube, gaming sites, you name it... the interest level for these systems is extremely lopsided.

Duxxy3

Just look at this:

You obviously haven't read the entire thread.

The digital foundry footage is screwed up. The xbox one video is completely messed up. Crushed blacks that don't exist in any other videos, and a sharpness filter that isn't there either.

Korezo

People seem to think sharper = clarity. Sharpness = roughness which ruins picture. Being sharper isn't good which is why the Xbone version looks so rough and terrible, while the ps4 shots are clean.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow, and there I was thinking this new generation would be an end to poor image quality - dodgy upscale blur on PS4 and massive aliasing on XBone.
There's no way to not have some level of blurring when upscaling. With any kind of realtime upscaling algorithm anyway. I have to say KZ:SF does look a lot more appealing than this. I just went back to this thread, and... yeah. 60FPS be damned, image quality and overall look are so nice in KZ.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=703051

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Wait wtf. Looks like the Jackfrag video shows off better lighting on the X1 than what DF is showing? What the hell is happening?

So the difference sums up to:

Better AA on PS4
Sharper picture on the XB1.

Wow. All that drama for THIS? Jeez.
Exactly! You tell em Senjut- Salvador bro. Set some of these fools straight that think there is an actual difference between the two version. If anything, the Xbone version will have the upper hand due to the custom scaler and audio chip.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
But Penello said there was no way that MS would hand over a 30% performance advantage to Sony.

On a different subject. Has anyone explained why both versions aren't using the same textures?

why would they even apply a sharpening filter and change the colours? doesn't that invalidate the comparison. i mean if you're going to be consistent, at least apply the same filters and changes to both version.

Dark10x (who another poster said works for DF) has surmised that DF used their own capture device but didn't have time to really configure it properly for the new systems, while the other outlets all used the same Elgato capture device that DICE provided. That's why DF's is the only one that looks massively different.

Danielsan

I see the Xbox is still a fan of crushed blacks.
People seem to confuse natural colours for blurriness. If you like your contrast out of whack just change your contrast settings in the game or on your TV.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
PS4 upscaler doesn't suck.

DF botched capture. In IGN video both games have same colors.

the software scaler does suck and sony should have used a hardware one. ive seen screenshots from other sites where it looks blurry on ps4. its gutting i know but FOR this game, it is sadly true. it has the vasoline look on ps4

RedAssedApe

Banned
word of advice to some of you...don't ever get your tv calibrated. they turn your sharpness down to 0 and everything gets all blurry without the artificial edge enhancement.

stupid professionals!

But Penello said there was no way that MS would hand over a 30% performance advantage to Sony.

On a different subject. Has anyone explained why both versions aren't using the same textures?

Apparently randomly generated. Hence why some things between the PC, PS4 and Xbox One are different like camo configurations and ground textures. The textures should be the same.

SRTtoZ

1) Penello was sort of right, its not 30%, its more.

2) The ground textures and camo textures are randomly generated.

The differences are lot more pronounced on a wide-screen TV. It's not the best representation, because of YT and video-player compression, but try connecting it to your TV. The jagginess is annoying.

Shamaylan twist : He was talking about PC, not Xbox vs PS4. /s

Seanspeed

Banned
We all knew the Xbox One version wasn't going to look as good.

For me, I was interested to see how close next-gen was to the PC version. I'd say its about the same jump from X1 to PS4. Noticeable, but still impressive.

I think people looking to buy this on a next-gen console should be fine, either platform. Obviously if BF4 is of paramount importance, it could sway somebody over to buy a PS4, but if you had your heart set on an Xbox One, I wouldn't be upset by this or anything.

With PS4 MP footage dropping to 50s and high 40s constantly, Guerilla Games can safely start promoting full 60fps multiplayer for KZSF now.

GAF screamed beause KZSF could not maintain 60fps when 24 players dropped grenade at the same time. Seems so insignificant now that BF4 has much larger problems. Sure that happens only in 64 maps, but still.

Yeah. It must be said that Sony's decision to launch Killzone: Shadowfall with the PS4--a decision that was derided by some--looks like it may pay off well.

So many naysayers were baffled at the decision to have Guerrilla kick off the PS4 launch, rather than a SSM or ND, saying a Killzone game couldn't possibly serve a purpose in a launch that included two monster FPS franchises like CoD and Battlefield. But now, looking at the current landscape, that may turn out to be a key decision. Killzone is clearly going to be the tentpole console FPS title for launch as far as pure eye candy is concerned. Nothing else in the FPS genre will scream "next gen" nearly as loudly.

Will it outsell the likes of the big boys? Nah. That's almost impossible. But it will likely become at least that secondary title, if not a "must-have," for FPS fans that buy PS4s, if only to show what the system can do when it "stretches its legs" a bit. If I were buying a launch PS4, I'd certainly be picking up a copy. I'm thinking this will be a lot of folks' first Killzone game too, (especially folks who were 360-only gamers last gen who are making the switch,) so it's good Guerrilla made the decision to make this game a sort of a reboot of the franchise too.

That being said, These PS4 videos from Jack have me excited for Battlefield 4, even if it isn't nearly as technically stunning as KZ:SF. Dice knows how to get the pulse moving, and there's always something about the BF games that just clicks for me. It's exciting to know I'll be able to play it soon. I won't be there for launch, but I will be there.

Racer1977

Let's face it, the goalposts will keep moving, and people will rationalise their purchase.

This time last week, some were adamant 3rd party launch titles would have forced parity, today we see the PS4 version of BF4 pushing 40% more pixels, with a better framerate.

History also tells us console power discrepancies become more noticeable over time, not less. Thankfully, this time around, I can actually save money purchasing my prefared console, that doesn't happen very often!

Kashinoda

Banned
It is a comparable situation, you just do want it to be. Wii U is doing horribly, despite Wii flying off the shelves. N64 did badly despite SNES dominating its generation.

History has shown you are wrong.

And please, do not tell us to "calm down". You made a bad argument and we corrected you.

I don't mind debating, my calm down was to the sheer volume of posts saying the same thing within about 5 minutes.

The N64 launched over a year after the PS1, just like the PS3 launched a year after the 360.

If those launches were aligned who could really say how they would have fared differently?

Into

Just look at this:

DF made a mistake, there is even a member in this thread adressing it. Here is the PS4 version captured better:

Done!

PS3
th9s.jpg

PS3 "Xbone Mode"
6umi.jpg

Xbox One
2cbu.jpg

If you think we are bullshitting you, grab your remote controller and you can achieve both effects on your current consoles. You can make Halo Reach look sharp as fuck, but jaggies are still present. You can also make it look blurry.

Not had a chance to properly disect things as I'm on my phone but the difference is huge. Over a 50% resolution advantage and better effects and yet the PS4 still runs at a higher frame rate. Despite What you may think of the visual impact in this particular case, that's a huge and damning assessment of the performance chasm between these two machines. It will be interesting to see how that performance delta is used in other multiplatform titles; resolution and HBAO won't be the only thing differentiation multiplat titles going forward.

sTaTIx

Exactly! You tell em Senjut- Salvador bro. Set some of these fools straight that think there is an actual difference between the two version. If anything, the Xbone version will have the upper hand due to the custom scaler and audio chip.

Jesus christ man, you're feeding him.

Duke2k

Neo Member
Biggest takeaway?

The PS4 software upscaling sucks. But, the Xbox One hardware upscaler is awesome.

PS4 pushes ~50% more pixels but you sure don't see that huge gap onscreen.

Xbone has a few jaggies, but PS4 doesn't look as sharp...weirdly blurry in places where it shouldn't be.

+1

Xbox 720p+Scaler > PS4 900p+Scaler

Maybe the PS4 can output native 900p?

Paganmoon

Nope. Don't see anything even remotely resembling a "blurry mess."

By your logic, the PC version is also a blurry mess, by virtue of the fact that neither the PS4 nor the PC version feature the retardedly overdone edge sharpening effect.

Thing is, edge sharpening, and overly saturated colors is the exact thing that sells to the average consumer. Just walk around any given electronics stores TV department. TV's are set at crazy settings out of the box to "wow" the consumer. I've got the feeling this is exactly what's going to happen for the Xbox One, people are going to be wowed by the picture looking sharper, and see the Xbox One version as the better one.

Might be sad, but it's the truth.

Wow.. lot's of juniors in here making some insane comments. Bish is going to have fun tonight.
I feel kind of sorry for the legitimate non-crazy and/or non-shill Junior Members who get a bad rap as a result. The spate of people banned as obvious social marketers basically has me doubting every post from people with Junior Member tags.

Mahonay

Banned
For anyone still doubting there's a real difference...

First watch JackFrags XB1 capture of the Fishing in Baku campaign mission
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ycN0re_5A

Then watch the Gametrailers review which has PS4 campaign footage (you'll know if it's PC or PS4 by the queues on the screen, or the PS4 UI icons in the top right).
http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/oxobi5/battlefield-4-review

XB1 single player footage is noticeably worse. There's no way you can claim they look the same. You don't need to compare screens, just look at the actual footage.

Top Bottom