• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nintendo NX Powered By Nvidia Tegra! Initial Spec Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCGeek

formerly sane
how can there be a spec anaylisis so soon? o_O
specially when Nintendo always customizes their chips

It's a light moderate primer. Until we have the retail units examined like Wii and WiiU won't even begin to tell what they did to it. Short of someone leaking the design we are SOL but nintendo has assassins built just for that.

it will be a big jump from the Wii U :O

Not that much. Like 2x to 4x, that is at stock clocks. I doubt the handheld will run at stock, 1ghz clock. I'd lean more toward the 300~400mhz range so 150~200Gflops.

It's a light moderate primer. Until we have the retail units examined like Wii and WiiU won't even begin to tell what they did to it. Short of someone leaking the design we are SOL but nintendo has assassins built just for that.

Let's remember Eurogamer think it's an X1 based on what they heard. Not that this is an X1. Could be K1 for what it's worth. Could be just that they licensed Tegra and are making a custom chipset. Unless Nintendo unveil specs or Nvidia do so, we wont know for sure until released and wide open... Or judging on games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's just that I wanted to see what a proper metroid game would look like if retro had ps4 neo equivalent power to play around with. Maybe next decade

<_<

What did Metroid look like on the Gamecube and Wii(8gflops and 11 gflops respectively)

They still hold up on dophin at high resolutions. Let me reiterate. METROID PRIME 1 LOOKS FUCKING AWESOME ON GAMECUBE FROM 2002.

Now...what does a Metroid game look like a 400 to 500gflops!?

Come on fam...come on..come on now

I really don't think Nintendo will risk using the X2 on a a handheld. They've had issues with Nvidia supplying chips before. I think they'd just rather cut the price and move on with it.

Remember what happened to make the 3DS use the PICA instead?

Inuhanyou

Heh, with these specs at least we'll get a better looking Monster Hunter game.

Nah, Capcom's secret is that they just phone in monster hunter games intentionally so they dont have to spend money on investment in higher end rendering to make more profits.

I expect it to still look like the Wii U Monster Hunter 3 port, but full 1080p hopefully and locked 30

wapplew

Sadly, I think it's safe to say that third party support is once again thrown out the window.

Western AAA third party to be specific. Plenty of Japanese third party, indie, western AA support I think.
All together, I think it will have more games than Xbox one.

Doctre81

Have we reached the "let's post random images out of context" part of the rumor discussions already?

I mean if Nintendo is willing to stick that in a regular home console I'm all for it.

But it ain't going to cost $300 I can tell you that.

lol that is the performance with 2 gpus and two Parkers.

Kodaman

Sadly, I think it's safe to say that third party support is once again thrown out the window.

This really changes nothing regarding third parties...
There's no scenario in which Nintendo was going to get day one third party support.

IF the thing sells third parties will be there.

Inuhanyou

Western AAA third party to be specific. Plenty of Japanese third party, indie, western AA support I think.

My question is how much overlap will there be between Vita/PS4 games and NX

NX is right in between them both technologically(closer to PS4 than Vita but still).

random25

As long as the usual Japanese 3rd party devs on 3DS goes on board with this, I'm fine with it. The important thing is to make this thing region-free for goodness sake.

sirap

Nah, Capcom's secret is that they just phone in monster hunter games intentionally so they dont have to spend money on investment in higher end rendering to make more profits.

I expect it to still look like the Wii U Monster Hunter 3 port, but full 1080p hopefully and locked 30

Shame they can't share assets with the team behind MHO. That game looks phenomenal on Cryengine.

AzaK

I agree. I think it'll be the x2 as well. No reason for them to overclock the 1.
All the doom and gloom people need to relax imho. Nintendo knows the Wii U
failed from it being under powered. I don't see them turning around and giving
us another under powered console.

My prediction is that it will use a x2 or custom x1(thus them needing to overclock the current chip)

Price? X2 is cutting edge no? That's gotta cost.

wachie

3fee940dcccd7e0f09b0442fea3768ba.png
That 2x Unknown Pascal is now known Pascal GP104 aka GTX1060.

Not a fat rat's ass Nintendo is going to come close to even 15% of the power of the 1060, forget dual 1060s.

Inuhanyou

Shame they can't share assets with the team behind MHO. That game looks phenomenal on Cryengine.

Sad that China is the only time when one of Capcom's biggest IP's looks great.

Vita is 28gflops and PS4 is 1843gflops.

I'm not sure there's a right in between :p

<_< You know what i mean dude. You know

And i am referring really to Japanese support of the platform. i expect 3DS/NX ports...maybe PSVita/3DS/NX/PS4 ports, and everything in between except for games actually taking advantage of PS4's power

antonz

Someone better tell those hundreds of millions of people gaming on portables, phones and tablets!

The point of a Video Game Device is to not offer the same throw away experiences as tablets and phones. I mean that has been Nintendo's entire argument. If Nintendo decides to abandon that as their purpose of existence that is fine but then stop wasting our time with proprietary hardware. and no one can accuse me of being anti-Nintendo around here as its quite the opposite.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

No it won't. This console will most likely sell 3DS equivalent numbers. Third parties won't ignore that.

Maybe just not the third party games you're expecting.

spock

Perhaps with that device patent for those "power up" boxes or however we should describe them could be the plans for adding on via tegra 2 down the line.

wapplew

My question is how much overlap will there be between Vita/PS4 games and NX

NX is right in between them both technologically(closer to PS4 than Vita but still).

Most Japanese third party can't fully utilize PS4 power anyways, NX fit right into that pocket.

Xellos

Tegra X1 is fine by me. Not XB1/PS4, but a nice step up from Wii U. Tegra X2 (Pascal) would be really interesting, but I have a hard time imagining Nintendo using the latest and greatest when X1 is good enough and probably cheaper.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Let's remember Eurogamer think it's an X1 based on what they heard. Not that this is an X1. Could be K1 for what it's worth. Could be just that they licensed Tegra and are making a custom chipset. Unless Nintendo unveil specs or Nvidia do so, we wont know for sure until released and wide open... Or judging on games.

I do remember this hell just a few posts ago I blurted out I want nintendo show off whatever this SOC chip is. Just things are happening it seems and I'm quite joyus, sadly overwatch is calling me.

I'm not owning up to what is considering we don't have final units. Just pumped team green is lending some assistance and nintendo feels it could be worthwhile. We don't know where the bullseye is but having a place to hit is a lot better than what may was.

Qwyjibo

Hopefully there will be a handheld-only version without the controllers, dock, and whatever else.

I love my 3DS while my Wii U gathers dust. I don't need another Nintendo home console. If they can continue their games library from the 3DS though, I'm in for a handheld (depending on price). Portability will be important too.

Toni

No it won't. This console will most likely sell 3DS equivalent numbers. Third parties won't ignore that.

Maybe just not the third party games you're expecting.

That is overwhelmingly positive for a video game console not named the PS4.

Sony has a near-monopoly on the console industry right now. I don't think Nintendo has the power to disrupt that if Microsoft couldn't.

For NX to sell 3DS like numbers, it will have to pull a PS4-like or Wii-like success which probably won't ever happen again.

People are too hyped right now and just not thinking.

Sad that China is th only time when one of Capcom's biggest IP's looks great.

<_< You know what i mean dude. You know

And i am referring really to Japanese support of the platform. i expect 3DS/NX ports...maybe PSVita/3DS/NX/PS4 ports, and everything in between except for games actually taking advantage of PS4's power

To answer your question, it's hard to tell. It's all about clockspeed. Think of it as PS3/PS4 for the handheld specs (I mean, X1 not at 1ghz but more like 300mhz).
If when docked it can reach full TDP and clockspeed, then think of it as XB1/PS4, but with a wider gap.

I'm gonna reapeat what I said last night. People expecting Tegra x2 are in for (another) disappointment.

I said yesterday: you guys should low your expectations whent it comes to Nintendo. Even if this hybrid thing eventually turned into something good, do not expect it to be anything near the PSbone.

Nintendo will not pull out another $300 fiasco. It's gonna be something between the 150-200 price tag.

Oh, and don't trust rumors...

That is overwhelmingly positive for a video game console not named the PS4.

Sony has a near-monopoly on the console industry right now. I don't think Nintendo has the power to disrupt that if Microsoft couldn't.

For NX to sell 3DS like numbers, it will have to pull a PS4-like or Wii-like success which probably won't ever happen again.

People are too hyped right now and just not thinking.
Portable gaming demand is a real thing.

I do remember this hell just a few posts ago I blurted out I want nintendo show off whatever this SOC chip is. Just things are happening it seems and I'm quite joyus, sadly overwatch is calling me.

I'm not owning up to what is considering we don't have final units. Just pumped team green is lending some assistance and nintendo feels it could be worthwhile. We don't know where the bullseye is but having a place to hit is a lot better than what may was.

Yup, in any case, even worst case with K1, it's still a dramatic improcement on tve handheld side.

I'm gonna reapeat what I said last night. People expecting Tegra x2 are in for (another) disappointment.

I said yesterday: you guys should low your expectations whent it comes to Nintendo. Even if this hybrid thing eventually turned into something good, do not expect it to be anything near the PSbone.

Nintendo will not pull out another $300 fiasco. It's gonna be something between the 150-200 price tag.

Yeah, this thing's success will be predicated on being impulse-purchase cheap, and moving a bunch of software while cutting down on duplication in Nintendo's software development expenses. I don't see them putting in an expensive new chip.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Considering it will be far more close to X1 than WiiU will ever be I don't see that as true. If you changed your statement to be Scorpio/PS4k that would be very valid.

Telling nintendo fans in a speculation thread to cool it on gaf, people should be showering you with gif replies.

Leatherface

Call me an optimist but the guy brings up a good point. Why so tight lipped about the Tegra x2? I think Nintendo knows if it is going to have longevity with this new device, it needs to come out of the gate with better tech than the x1. I think they will.

Call me an optimist but the guy brings up a good point. Why so tight lipped about the Tegra x2? I think Nintendo knows if it is going to have longevity with this new device, it needs to come out of the gate with better tech than the x1. I think they will.

I think you're overthinking it. Downclocked X1 is already best case scenario in a gaming handheld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom