• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nintendo NX Powered By Nvidia Tegra! Initial Spec Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big fucking super-Vita with the full future Nintendo library with no known competition for next gen handhelds securing a shitload of weird third party support?

Sure. I'm game. I was way more invested in the successor to the 3DS than I was the Wii U.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
But he even points out that it is for multiplayer.

Think of it this way. This controller peripheral which can be attached to the main controller, can double as a functional controller on its own too

LCGeek

formerly sane
Eurogamer says NX Tegra is Maxwell iinm

Nintendo could be using old tech?

even if they are Maxwell shits on anything nintendo has ever put in to their own systems so far. Considering what maxwell alone can do in terms of API/Features some people really should be more happy.

Old doesn't mean bad.

Jimrpg

I still think the most likely scenario is the system will be downclocked when used as a handheld. Have a 540p display around 5" and then when in the dock for use as a console it will run at full performance and output at 1080p.

720p is nice, but 540p on a 5" screen is still quite good and would equate to much better battery life. An X1 or X2 even at that should still be able to provide ample AA and AF for improved IQ.

If they for some reason go with a decidedly not portable screen size and go the 7-9" tablet sized route then yeah something like 720p, if not 1080p, is an absolute must. But that would be a very odd choice as that would be far more expensive and be a much great battery drain.

Definitely 5" for a handheld.

In fact im holding my iPhone 6 right now in landscape. The home button could be the analog nub. And I don't see why Nintendo can't fit four small face buttons where the speaker currently is.

I don't want a gigantic controller like the Wii u controller. Kids can't get their mitts around the thing.

I still think the most likely scenario is the system will be downclocked when used as a handheld. Have a 540p display around 5" and then when in the dock for use as a console it will run at full performance and output at 1080p.

720p is nice, but 540p on a 5" screen is still quite good and would equate to much better battery life. An X1 or X2 even at that should still be able to provide ample AA and AF for improved IQ.

If they for some reason go with a decidedly not portable screen size and go the 7-9" tablet sized route then yeah something like 720p, if not 1080p, is an absolute must. But that would be a very odd choice as that would be far more expensive and be a much great battery drain.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I never understood the 1080p 5 inch screens. I have a 2 different 5 inch screen devices, one is 1080p and the other is 720p. At 5 inch, I'm more annoyed how small everything looks at those resolutions.

Aliasing isn't even noticeable at such a small screen. I'm pretty sure my android games don't even have AA.

Renekton

even if they are Maxwell shits on anything nintendo has ever put in to their own systems so far. Considering what maxwell alone can do in terms of API/Features some people really should be more happy.

Old doesn't mean bad.
DF just did an analysis on Tegra RE5, aaand it sucks. Plus the old 20nm process is craptastic, ask Qualcomm and Samsung.

Nvidia managed to dump its old tech on Nintendo <_< instead of giving them Parker.

Definitely 5" for a handheld.

In fact im holding my iPhone 6 right now in landscape. The home button could be the analog nub. And I don't see why Nintendo can't fit four small face buttons where the speaker currently is.

I don't want a gigantic controller like the Wii u controller. Kids can't get their mitts around the thing.

iPhone are a good comparison, actually! The 6/6s is 16x9, 4.7", the 6+/6s+ is also 16x9, 5.5". I'd be totally down with a 5.5" screen since I'm used to carrying this 6s+ around, but I can see 5-5.2" being a good compromise

LCGeek

formerly sane
DF just did an analysis on Tegra RE5, aaand it sucks. Plus the old 20nm process is craptastic, ask Qualcomm and Samsung.

Nvidia managed to dump its old tech on Nintendo <_< instead of giving them Parker.

Owell you think it sucks but consideing what you want in other threads and have championed for, why are you wasting your time in here?

Also before you bring up that line. Nintendo told nvidia to take a hike on tegra tech before. Unlike sony or ms who got ripped off. Don't try it bro, plz don't, but if you do I'll be your huckleberry. Nintendo won't pay for parker and I bet you a new console form, price, or power concerns are making nintendo not even want to try. Parker in sub 300$ product, come on son.

AmyS

How do you know NX won't be using Tegra X2 / Parker ? The dev kits Eurogamer / DF claim they know about could be older.

Anyway, Tegra X1 isn't old like K1 (Kepler) is.

And if you listen to the video, they clearly said it's because it's running on Directx and the over head from the android OS. Neither of which will be used in the NX. DX is Microsoft's API and Android is a google OS designed to work on a huge amount of devices. None of these will be an issue for the NX.

Buggy Loop

There's always a way to fuck up a port, its not representative of a chipset's power.

https://youtu.be/LzHRWb6PPzs

Eurogamer says the devkit has the X1, actively cooled (psst, that means overclocked). Early dev kits that have previous chipset versions @ higher speeds is not uncommon.

Nvidia is unveilling next tegra in august

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...its-next-gen-tegra-mobile-chip-in-august.html

schaft0620

There's always a way to fuck up a port, its not representative of a chipset's power.

https://youtu.be/LzHRWb6PPzs

Eurogamer says the devkit has the X1, actively cooled (psst, that means overclocked). Early dev kits that have previous chipset versions @ higher speeds is not uncommon.

Nvidia is unveilling next tegra in august

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...its-next-gen-tegra-mobile-chip-in-august.html

Let's hope the NX stands for Next version of the X1

Vena

I posted in the nvidia thread and the phillips speculation was more right than the amd side. I'm not risking shit considering the stink people are involving me in that I've been dead set against hyping and exactly because of a day like this. People should still be questioning obvious financials cause nintendo is making quite an exotic setup.

There are other nuggets that were mentioned networking/streaming wise that have never once been disagreed about, though that won't make most gamers happy. I'm not most, I was a mixed bag in May but August alone should be interesting from what I'm hearing again. Some are focused on sept, which is cool but if more real info will come out to really see who has good knowledge august devkits leaks will happen like crazy if some people want to keep their reps. Which is odd cause nintendo could've made their E3 more interesting, seems mid year hijinx for PR.

While some people may feel one group has to fall on their swords that's not what's really happening. Not only that there is no finality to the a very fluid SKU. Maybe in this thread most people involved can be sensible till nintendo makes up their mind, its clear they are juggling things.

I'm gonna be super curious if the next set of devkits you talked about give us a better idea on the internals. Right now we're, as you said, in a fluid toss up between the X1 and the X2 (and the custom designs therein).

Thanks as always!

That said, you've seemingly become much more positive on the outlook of this thing over the months, lol.

Renekton

How do you know NX won't be using Tegra X2 / Parker ? The dev kits Eurogamer / DF claim they know about could be older.

Anyway, Tegra X1 isn't old like K1 (Kepler) is.
From Eurogamer:

It is worth stressing with a firm emphasis that everything we have heard so far points to Tegra X1 as the SoC of choice for Nintendo NX

antonz

If it ends up just being an X1then yeah it will be disappointing. People keep trying to spin it as this is a handheld but that is not what it is at all by what's been stated. Its meant to be both and if the best they can do is a souped up Wii U for their console then yeah it sucks.

Vena

From Eurogamer:

It is worth stressing with a firm emphasis that everything we have heard so far points to Tegra X1 as the SoC of choice for Nintendo NX

It won't be an X1 regardless. The X1 is in the devkits as of right now.

Nintendo has a license with nVidia so the part will be almost-definitely custom and not just an off-the-shell X1 (which ultimately makes this comparison rather moot). Its generally not their MO to not tinker heavily with the chipset, and just look at Geek's other posts about the updated kits coming out and that the whole thing is fluid.

The question is why is this, seemingly old, devkit running an OCed X1. Is the custom beefier or more efficient? Is it X2? Is it some middle-derivative of X1/X2?

If it ends up just being an X1then yeah it will be disappointing. People keep trying to spin it as this is a handheld but that is not what it is at all by what's been stated. Its meant to be both and if the best they can do is a souped up Wii U for their console then yeah it sucks.

If it were just a home console, then it would suck. But since it's both, it's fine. Unless you never, ever, ever plan on using it as a portable device I guess.

Has a console ever actually shipped with overclocked hardware? My guess is they're targeting a future iteration of the Tegra line if that rumor is true.

Yeah, that's why it would be overclocked. A temporary solution.

Doctre81

3fee940dcccd7e0f09b0442fea3768ba.png

antonz

If it were just a home console, then it would suck. But since it's both, it's fine. Unless you never, ever, ever plan on using it as a portable device I guess.

That basically seems to be the gamble Nintendo is possibly making. More or less abandoning the Home console market but keeping a toe in it by letting their handheld connect to a tv

Vena

Yeah, that's why it would be overclocked. A temporary solution.

That basically seems to be the gamble Nintendo is making. More or less abandoning the Home console market but keeping a toe in it by letting their handheld connect to a tv

Well, X2 may be too expensive. Look at Geek's note on the price of where Parker likely sits at the moment.

But a customized and updated X1.5 (let's call it) may be considerably better than an off the shelf X1.

That basically seems to be the gamble Nintendo is possibly making. More or less abandoning the Home console market but keeping a toe in it by letting their handheld connect to a tv

I hope not. Hybrid makes bad handheld and bad home console. I just hope the handheld connecting to TV thing is just a way to offer a cheap console and allow 100% shared library with same controls.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Like some here, I am more excited by the fact that this portable console will be a gigantic jump over the 3DS.

It will move from having iPhone 3G tech to going past iPhone 6S.

I also hope that they use 16nm for better battery life, what her inspired by X1 or more.

Like some here, I am more excited by the fact that this portable console will be a gigantic jump over the 3DS.

It will move from having iPhone 3G tech to going past iPhone 6S.

I also hope that they use 16nm for better battery life, what her inspired by X1 or more.

It'll be a gigantic leap over Vita too, for those concerned.

120v

going by past nintendo hardware it's probably the most realistic outcome to expect. i think this X2 stuff is pie in the sky talk, personally, because again it doesn't really pair with their hardware design philosophy.

"last gen" tech got mileage that lasted over a decade, most of this gen has been upres'd ports so we still aren't fully removed from it, shouldn't be a surprise nintendo is willing to ride it out further

Azriell

I mean, initial devkits of both the ps4 and xb1 were stronger than the final hardware by a decent margin iirc

Dev kits have to have extra resources because you're running unoptimized code plus whatever overhead and tools or whatever. At least I think I've read that somewhere before.

On an unrelated note, I'm personally very excited to have a portable console that's at least as powerful as Wii U. I just hope you don't have to put it down and detach a controller play, and that it's comfortable to hold.

Astral Dog

I hope not. Hybrid makes bad handheld and bad home console. I just hope the handheld connecting to TV thing is just a way to offer a cheap console and allow 100% shared library with same controls.

according to the newest rumors supposedly no traditional console option, wich is indeed qite strange when rumors a few months ago from developers told they didnt even knew there was a handheld NX .

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
From Eurogamer:

Well they are developing on a development kit with announced and already available components including X1. Giving them a kit with X2 will means potential leak for both Nintendo and Nvidia end.

Renekton

There's another article from DF stating a source informed them these X1 chips are overclocked in dev kits.
Devkits have more overhead anyways, for debugging and other purposes.

Nintendo has a license with nVidia so the part will be almost-definitely custom and not just an off-the-shell X1
Back in 2013/2014, Nvidia expressed disdain towards console semi-customs. Not sure why they would change their minds now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom