• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nintendo NX Powered By Nvidia Tegra! Initial Spec Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pure conjecture to me unless there is some leaked insider info. The reality is that RSX cost more than Cell, underperformed, and Nvidia are loathe to give concessions on cost cuts.

Nintendo will be hurt by this decision.

I'm not terribly tech-minded so maybe this is hogwash, but what if Nintendo looked at those deals that Sony and Microsoft made with Nvidia a many years ago and perhaps learned from them and negotiated better terms? What if Nvidia was not economically in a position to burn a 3rd bridge with a major hardware firm?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tegra X1 uses 20w in devices like Drive PX, which uses a higher clocked dual X1 soc to hit 2.3Gflop. A single X1 at 1Ghz (512Gflops) is far below that TDP.

X1 uses 20w in devices like the shield when it actually does something that isn't just streaming Netflix that fucking toasters can do.

Not that any of this matters as none of this rampant speculation is the actual NX chip.

I hate this thread with a passion.

Lol, OK. Newsflash. Something can sell worse than its competition, and still be making very good sales. If PS4 weren't in the picture, Xbox One would be among the fastest selling consoles of all time, hell, it is still among the fastest despite the massive lead Sony has.

To make sure people realize why this is relevant since the original post is pages back. The entire point was to illustrate that cutting edge hardware isn't necessary for great sales. A goofball decided to come along and suggest the Xbox One was proof that lesser hardware leads to bad sales. They are wrong.

This is so true. People lose sight of this it seems. Unless something is selling more than the PS4, it is a failure I guess.

Just like I see people saying that handhelds are dead, but the 3DS family has sold 58 million units (although they are in decline, but I personally think that is due to the aging tech more than anything).

rekameohs

Banned
Thing sounds like a beast of a handheld if it's rocking top-of-line mobile tech. A far cry from what we're used to in their handhelds.

Vanillalite

The negativity on the first page is surprising considering how positive the dude was in the video.

It's not about being positive or negative. It's about accurate information vs semi accurate speculation based on similar but not the same chips.

ZOONAMI

If it's true they are using active cooling and ocing the x1 dev kits, it basically confirms the final chip will either be a heavily customized x1 or a pascal tegra.

Also I think this is going to have geforce now as part of a nintendo monthly online subscription option, with a cut going to nvidia. Basically a work around for third party support.

ethomaz

Banned
This is so true. People lose sight of this it seems. Unless something is selling more than the PS4, it is a failure I guess.
You don't need even put PS4 in the talk.

Xbox One is selling bad at it own or MS is doing constants price cuts because they are dumb lol

LCGeek

formerly sane
The negativity on the first page is surprising considering how positive the dude was in the video.

Some people are more practical about what a system can do vs always wanting super powered highly tuned console pcs.

Personally I enjoyed it, but NX threads have always had more hype than reality. Hopefully in the next 2 months nintendo is more clear. I'm surprised others aren't talking about revisioned devs kits that are due out soon.

Cerium

Thing sounds like a beast of a handheld if it's rocking top-of-line mobile tech. A far cry from what we're used to in their handhelds.

Even if it's just a stock X1 it would be by far the most powerful handheld ever by orders of magnitude. Significantly more power than the WiiU, in a handheld. It's possible that console gamers will find it a letdown but for us handheld enthusiasts this is all very exciting.

Gattsu25

Banned
You know what? I actually really like this news. I'm especially excited by the speculation at the end.

A Tegra X1 powered handheld with a lower-level graphics pipeline + Nintendo software? This is going to be the most powerful handheld on the market.

ZOONAMI

Xbox One is selling bad at it own or MS is doing constants price cuts because they are dumb lol

Selling 20-25 million Xbones in 3 years honestly isn't that bad. I'm sure lifetime it will break 40-50 million. Xbox one s units will be sub $200 by fall of 2017.

Yep the best way to look at this thing is a handheld and not a replacement to a "home console". When looked at that way it's hardware is impressive as hell and light-years ahead of where the 3DS is

-Horizon-

Even if it's just a stock X1 it would be by far the most powerful handheld ever by orders of magnitude. Significantly more power than the WiiU, in a handheld. It's possible that console gamers will find it a letdown but for us handheld enthusiasts this is all very exciting.
Game Freak will find a way to still make their games run badly on it ;)

Kimawolf

Some people are more practical about what a system can do vs always wanting super powered highly tuned console pcs.

Personally I enjoyed it, but NX threads have always had more hype than reality. Hopefully in the next 2 months nintendo is more clear. I'm surprised others aren't talking about revisioned devs kits that are due out soon.

so does this kinda match what you know? without getting yourself in trouble or anything can you tell us anything else? If its too risky i totally get it.

Or they are just trying to get more market penetration? It has been outselling the 360 at the same point - was that also bad?

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread.

But even if Nintendo doesn't come anywhere near the dedicated consoles' (PS4, X1) numbers, it can still be a great success for the company. Nintendo got back to profitability and turned a profit this past fiscal year again, and that is with the Wii U around its neck.

DonMigs85

So just to be sure, there isn't going to be a dedicated home console anymore right? This device is it?
I'm probably still gonna get it, but not for more than $250

ZOONAMI

Yep the best way to look at this thing is a handheld and not a replacement to a "home console". When looked at that way it's hardware as impressive as hell and light-years ahead of where the 3DS is

I think we will see a more traditional home console from nintendo to compete with ps5 and scorpio, 2018 or so.

antonz

X1 uses 20w in devices like the shield when it actually does something that isn't just streaming Netflix that fucking toasters can do.

Not that any of this matters as none of this rampant speculation is the actual NX chip.

This thread is in response to information put out. right or wrong it is on topic of whats been shared. If you have information that counters it then do share it.

Leizt

Neo Member
I realized that some of you are having problems visualizing the concept so I made this mock-up explaining all of the possible uses for the NX concept based on the original drawing from Eurogamer.

In this first picture, you can see the NX in its most basic form a simple device that can play simple games like Professor Layton or even Mario Kart with its motion sensors and touch screen.

If you turn it in portrait mode the NX plays mobile games (ported or created for mobile like Nintendo upcoming mobile games.) like a champ.

Once things get more complex let's say, Zelda, you slide in the control modules.

(I think that sliding it instead of attaching it will help with durability) as you can see in this picture each of the controller pieces being connected have their own simple gyros as well and could be used as a Wii-Mote.

In this form, you can play games as you would with a 3DS (but with a full set of buttons) when not using the main unit you slide the controllers in a simple shell in order to have a standard controller.

Now you can use the main unit in its base connected to a TV or use the main unit as a monitor.

And using the stand you can enjoy video apps.

Finally, when connected to its doc outputting to the TV the screen could show some basic info (like the gamepad) or be turned off (like the gamepad) in order to charge faster .

I hope this helps to illustrate the NX concept.

Vanillalite

This thread is in response to information put out. right or wrong it is on topic of whats been shared. If you have information that counters it then do share it.

Nobody has info.

It's either an X2 which nobody on the plant really knows about or a custom X1. Even the X2 will probably be customized.

The whole point is semi accurate info gets dispersed and laid as fact.

PS: If it's in response to my wattage comment just check the wattage benchmarks for actual games being played on the damn box.

ethomaz

Banned
Selling 20-25 million Xbones in 3 years honestly isn't that bad. I'm sure lifetime it will break 40-50 million. Xbox one s units will be sub $200 by fall of 2017.
It is indeed bad and MS actions shows that.

Or they are just trying to get more market penetration? It has been outselling the 360 at the same point - was that also bad?
Source? Because 360 was close to reach Xbone at end of 2015 and it is tracking better this first semester.

I believe even this excuse can't be used anymore... well even MS is not using anymore.

Yep the best way to look at this thing is a handheld and not a replacement to a "home console". When looked at that way it's hardware is impressive as hell and light-years ahead of where the 3DS is

Well, it's clearly replacing Wii U as well.

That's fine though, because it's a decent bit more powerful than Wii U and it'll be enough for great looking Nintendo games on the TV.

And true, as it's also replacing 3DS, it's a beast of a portable device.

Well, it's clearly replacing Wii U as well.

That's fine though, because it's a decent bit more powerful than Wii U and it'll be enough for great looking Nintendo games on the TV.

It is.....to a degree. I still think Nintendo will focus more on the aspect that it's portable and look at home gaming as an "added feature".

I'm not sure we will ever see a strictly home based system ala Wii U from them again

Disappointed it's not more of a leap forward graphically. Having seen what Nintendo could do using Wii U hardware I got all excited at the prospect of something like mario kart 9 running on hardware comparable to ps4. Wonder how long I'll have to wait for that.

It is.....to a degree. I still think Nintendo will focus more on the aspect that it's portable and look at home gaming as an "added feature".

I'm not sure we will ever see a strictly home based system ala Wii U from them again

I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing a dedicated home console again from Nintendo either. Which is why I think they'll market this equally as both a home device and a portable unit. Particularly in the west. I'm sure in Japan, it'll be mainly advertised as the successor to 3DS.

Spladam

Well... worst case scenario, Nintendo's one step closer to going third party.
This is the best case scenario.

Hahaha. Agreed.

It is indeed bad and MS actions shows that.

Source? Because 360 was close to reach Xbone at end of 2015 and it is tracking better this first semester.

I believe even this excuse can't be used anymore... well even MS is not using anymore.

I'll be honest, I don't really keep up with these things as I'm not into warz or sales numbers (and I game on all platforms), but I did just look, and the X360 sold 25.8 million over the first 3 years. The X1 is about the same now that it has slowed some (and it is hard to get concrete numbers now).

EDIT: actually, I may have looked at that wrong and the X360 sold less than that first 3 years. Anyway, I'm not going to be pressed to spend time looking it up, as it isn't that important to me. Maybe someone else inclined will do the research and give the correct first 3 year number.

Granted, the 360 accelerated in its fourth year and the X1 isn't going to do that (or at least I can't see that happening), but I wouldn't call those numbers a failure by any means.

Not that any of this matters anyway (I sold MSFT a LONG time ago, and I have no investments in any of their competitors).

EDIT: actually, I may have looked at that wrong and the X360 sold less than that first 3 years. Anyway, I'm not going to be pressed to spend time looking it up, as it isn't that important to me. Maybe someone else inclined will do the research and give the correct first 3 year number.

RedSwirl

The idea of something like Breath of the Wild or Smash Wii U but with even better graphics/performance on a device I can take with me sounds absolutely fantastic.

Honestly, I'm not banking on NX getting ports of major console games. Maybe other people will be disappointed, but since I'm already buying those games on PC, what I need most from Nintendo is good handheld games. Nintendo just needs to get indies and Japanese handheld game developers on this thing.

Just think of it as a Vita 2, but with an HDMI out and Nintendo games.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Don't look at the comments

face-melt-o.gif

But that's alright I suppose since at this stage they aren't really too limited from a technological angle. They'd still be able to make games like Breath of the Wild just fine with this system.

Western Developers would not have given one notice to whatever Nintendo's doing after the first year, but I expect Japanese developer support to be rather strong as the mid tier supporting platform following the Vita. And Indies would have a good time. So there's more than likely going to be games to play on the go or where ever. Lots of potential good here, I'm hoping they pull it off.

ethomaz

Banned
I'll be honest, I don't really keep up with these things as I'm not into warz or sales numbers (and I game on all platforms), but I did just look, and the X360 sold 25.8 million over the first 3 years. The X1 is about the same now that it has slowed some (and it is hard to get concrete numbers now).

Granted, the 360 accelerated in its fourth year and the X1 isn't going to do that (or at least I can't see that happening), but I wouldn't call those numbers a failure by any means.

Not that any of this matters anyway (I sold MSFT a LONG time ago, and I have no investments in any of their competitors).
Look at NPD sales this year... nope Xbox One is no where near 25 million unless you think they sold 5x more outside US than US itself.

BTW XB1 is already cheaper than 360 at it 3rd year.

Hakai

I realized that some of you are having problems visualizing the concept so I made this mock-up explaining all of the possible uses for the NX concept based on the original drawing from Eurogamer.

In this first picture, you can see the NX in its most basic form a simple device that can play simple games like Professor Layton or even Mario Kart with its motion sensors and touch screen.

If you turn it in portrait mode the NX plays mobile games (ported or created for mobile like Nintendo upcoming mobile games.) like a champ.

Once things get more complex let's say, Zelda, you slide in the control modules.

(I think that sliding it instead of attaching it will help with durability) as you can see in this picture each of the controller pieces being connected have their own simple gyros as well and could be used as a Wii-Mote.

In this form, you can play games as you would with a 3DS (but with a full set of buttons) when not using the main unit you slide the controllers in a simple shell in order to have a standard controller.

Now you can use the main unit in its base connected to a TV or use the main unit as a monitor.

Finally, when connected to its doc outputting to the TV the screen could show some basic info (like the gamepad) or be turned off (like the gamepad) in order to charge faster .

You know there are TWO controllers attached right?

But that's alright I suppose since at this stage they aren't really too limited from a technological angle. They'd still be able to make games like Breath of the Wild just fine with this system.

Western Developers would not have given one notice to whatever Nintendo's doing after the first year, but I expect Japanese developer support to be rather strong as the mid tier supporting platform following the Vita. And Indies would have a good time. So there's more than likely going to be games to play on the go or where ever. Lots of potential good here, I'm hoping they pull it off.

Yeah lots of good points here. At first I was rather down on the concept but it's growing on me

ubiblu

This honestly sounds like a very sexy upgrade to the Wii U given the better specs, but crazy when you consider it is a handheld device. Consolidation of Nintendo dev focus onto a high-res, hdmi-rnabled portable device is a gamechanger imo.

IMO, Nintendo art style has always trumped raw power output of their competitors, and a crisper version of Wii U is enough to keep most graphic-sensitive fans satiated for many years to come.

Colour me pretty f'n excited.

KAP151

Where does the other controller go?

entremet

I'm actually relieved it's a hybrid.

More and more I do most of my media consumption on smaller screens--phone, tablet, laptops.

I just know why people thought Nintendo would try the Sony/MS approach. That's a very boring strategy, not to mention highly crowded as MS is learning.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
"You can think of X1 as a turbo powered last gen console if you like"

Isn't that what the Wii-U was supposed to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom