• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nintendo NX Powered By Nvidia Tegra! Initial Spec Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mass market? I'm thinking Nintendo fans will be willing to drop $299. Let's not get carried away with mass market talk. This is a Nintendo console after all.

Nintendo probably wants this to see a level of success closer to the 3DS than the Wii U. "Mass market" appeal matters, and if the Wii U is any indication then Nintendo fans don't.

I hope they go X1 over X2. It'll be underpowered no matter what compared to the regular versions of the other consoles much less Neo and Scorpio. An X2 also wouldn't suddenly get them third-party support.

If it allows them to have to less work into graphics and producce games cheaper and faster I'm all for that.

Wii U has some stunning games based on art style. Nintendo doesn't need the extra power.

Donnie

X1 also uses 15W - 20W? in 1GHZ.

X2 can bring down that TDP to 5-10W and still have 512 gigaflops in a tablet form.

Tegra X1 uses 20w in devices like Drive PX, which uses a higher clocked dual X1 soc to hit 2.3Gflop. A single X1 at 1Ghz (512Gflops) is far below that TDP.

Haines

Banned
One thing is the market this seems to appeal to would be ok with these graphics in this form factor.

No longer looking silly when placed beside along and MS.

I'm absolutely buying one at launch and can see this being the Wii all over again.

Is it too soon for a dragon ball comparison?

Seriously, can watch the video since I'm on the phone but competitively to which platform it is more similar?

I'm worried they force too much wii u from the screen. Can they just use it in sketch and mp options like ps4 and one does with phones.

Really don't want more star fox issues

I hope they go X1 over X2. It'll be underpowered no matter what compared to the regular versions of the other consoles much less Neo and Scorpio. An X2 also wouldn't suddenly get them third-party support.

If it allows them to have to less work into graphics and producce games cheaper and faster I'm all for that.

Wii U has some stunning games based on art style. Nintendo doesn't need the extra power.

For the most part I agree. Graphics have gotten to a point where more and more poly's doesn't necessarily grant you a better image or a better experience for any given game.

Donnie

Sure. But you also have to have the right memory with enough bandwidth to utilize that GPU power. LPDDR4 isn't near current GDDR5 speeds. HBM is too expensive.

Or have a more efficient architecture, wether that's GPU/CPU features and/or memory structure. XBox One doesn't have GDDR5 after all.

Hope it's the X2. X1 is a fine power boost from the Wii U, but games will pretty quickly look outdated on the NX compared to the new versions of the Xbone and PS4 releasing next year, and the lack of power combined with cross-gen ports of games being pretty much over almost guarantees a lack of 3rd party support if they choose to go with the X1.

Either way is good news for handheld fans, though. 3DS' swan song games don't look much better than games that were coming out 2-3 years ago.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sony didn't really get screwed by nVidia. nVidia had to hand something to Sony pretty quickly to compensate for Cell problems . cell screwed Sony .

Yep. Nvidia gave them the best they had for a 2005 launch. Is just that ATI's experimental design was better.

Ryoku

Or have a more efficient architecture, weather that's GPU/CPU features and/or memory structure. XBox One doesn't have GDDR5 after all.

To be fair, I don't doubt Nintendo's RAM choices. I'm sure they'll choose what's best for them even if there are small drawbacks. It usually has worked out really well for them anyways.

I'm only concerned about CPU and GPU power, so we'll see. I still don't think we'll be getting a 1.5TFLOP handheld/hybrid, but I don't know anymore. I was also extremely adamant that we will not get a hybrid, but look where we are now :p

RexNovis

Banned
I don't get why it would run better in docked mode. So I can play a gimped version of the game on the go but the real version at home? Or is the tablet gonna have a shitty low res screen so it needs the bump to actually output at 1080?

And Nintendo using the newest chips would be totally out of character for a company that releases the most barebones hardware it feels it can charge for.

My guess is it would likely just be a lower resolution screen for the handheld unit. Maybe 720p or something around there. Then for the docked mode it would out put full 1080p with the same visuals and effects just at a higher internal rendering resolution.

Donnie

To be fair, I don't doubt Nintendo's RAM choices. I'm sure they'll choose what's best for them even if there are small drawbacks. It usually has worked out really well for them anyways.

I'm only concerned about CPU and GPU power, so we'll see. I still don't think we'll be getting a 1.5TFLOP handheld/hybrid, but I don't know anymore. I was also extremely adamant that we will not get a hybrid, but look where we are now :p

Maybe around a 1Tflop GPU with a well designed/balanced memory architecture, around XBox One performance. I'd be happy with that. No idea if this really is NX though (as in their is no stand alone console). Seems to contradict everything Nintendo said to my memory.

VanWinkle

Man. 2015 tablet hardware in a 2017 home console from one of the big three. I'm PRAYING that, like the video hypothesizes, it's placeholder hardware for an updated Tegra chip. (edit: although I guess it's not strictly a "home console." That was a little unfair of me.)

The dream NX SOC.

6 to 8 whatever best price / perf arm core from this list.
512 SPs at >800mhz, ~1 teraflop.
128bit bus, 8-12 GB LPDDR4, 50-68 GB/S.

or 64bit bus, 6GB LPDDR5, 34 GB/S + 32mb sram.
I don't think the CPU will be anything impressive, because Nintendo. And I'd also caution against too high expectations out of the RAM, also because Nintendo.

But a 16nm process and a beefy GPU (for the power constraints) is entirely plausible.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the CPU will be anything impressive, because Nintendo. And I'd also caution against too high expectations out of the RAM, also because Nintendo.

But a 16nm process and a beefy GPU (for the power constraints) is entirely plausible.

After the N64, Nintendo doesn't skimp on RAM.

RexNovis

Banned
The mobile mode will possible have a screen lower than 1080p resolution so rendering at that resolution will be a waste of processing power... so they can render the game at lower and native resolution for the small screen using less power (downclocked CPU/GPU) and render at 1080p for the docked mode (full clocked CPU/GPU).

The mobile screen will be small so even at lower resolution you will think the game looks better in mobile than HDTV.

ONly if they dont cheap out on the display which has been a trend for them with handhelds. Good color depth and accuracy is paramount for smaller displays. Hence why the OLED vita screen gets so much praise despite being technically sub HD resolution.

Renekton

Sony didn't really get screwed by nVidia. nVidia had to hand something to Sony pretty quickly to compensate for Cell problems . cell screwed Sony .
Isn't that just conjecture/projection from the a single comment "Cell could replace the GPU"?

Nvidia's RSX cost more than a Cell and underperformed.

Yep. Nvidia gave them the best they had for a 2005 launch. Is just that ATI's experimental design was better.
2006. Nvidia already had new tech by then.

Donnie

I don't get why it would run better in docked mode. So I can play a gimped version of the game on the go but the real version at home? Or is the tablet gonna have a shitty low res screen so it needs the bump to actually output at 1080?

And Nintendo using the newest chips would be totally out of character for a company that releases the most barebones hardware it feels it can charge for.

Stop thinking in terms of the mobile phone resolution race and remember that currently we play 1080p games on 50+ inch screens. This will probably be a 6-8 inch screen, 720p games would look far from shitty on a screen that size.

Ryoku

Isn't that just conjecture/projection from the a single comment "Cell could replace the GPU"?

Nvidia's RSX cost more than a Cell and underperformed.

I actually think Sony was going to go ahead and literally stick with only 2 CELL CPUs (no discrete GPU because hurdur CELL!). Maybe it isn't too farfetched to suggest that Nvidia was forced into a tight schedule because of Sony. Of course, all of this is speculation, so I don't really know. But it could make sense.

ethomaz

Banned
Partner with any other vendor.

Sony and Microsoft both got screwed badly by Nvidia.
There is no other lol

Tegra is the best option for what they want.

BTW Sony did fine with them and just changed to AMD because nVidia didn't have a x86 CPU.

Donnie

GPU might end up the more impressive component in this system. But I think relative to current gen consoles the CPU is actually the most likely component to be above the competition. Purely due to the poor performance of PS4 and XBox One's CPU's.

sfried

So, if any of this Nvidia buisness is true, does this make "Team Red" Team Mario and "Team Green" Team Luigi?

2017 might just end up becoming yet another Year of Luigi if that was the case.

Renekton

I actually think Sony was going to go ahead and literally stick with only 2 CELL CPUs (no discrete GPU because hurdur CELL!). Maybe it isn't too farfetched to suggest that Nvidia was forced into a tight schedule because of Sony. Of course, all of this is speculation, so I don't really know. But it could make sense.
Pure conjecture to me unless there is some leaked insider info. The reality is that RSX cost more than Cell, underperformed, and Nvidia are loathe to give concessions on cost cuts.

Nintendo will be hurt by this decision.

Scum

The fact that NCL are going to have a piece of hardware that's filled with modern insides is fantastic news. So long, 200X PowerPC!

Yeah that doesn't support that Xbox One is selling well. It's not.

Lol, OK. Newsflash. Something can sell worse than its competition, and still be making very good sales. If PS4 weren't in the picture, Xbox One would be among the fastest selling consoles of all time, hell, it is still among the fastest despite the massive lead Sony has.

To make sure people realize why this is relevant since the original post is pages back. The entire point was to illustrate that cutting edge hardware isn't necessary for great sales. A goofball decided to come along and suggest the Xbox One was proof that lesser hardware leads to bad sales. They are wrong.

Pimpbaa

Plus the old ROM cartridges in the N64 era seemed relatively faster and that system had much less RAM to fill - there will likely be some degree of loading on NX depending on the game

Current 3ds/vita games can have loading just as long as current consoles. In some case ports of portable games load considerably faster on ps4. Of course NX carts might be faster, they better be considering games will be bigger and much more data has to be loaded into system ram.

Man. 2015 tablet hardware in a 2017 home console from one of the big three. I'm PRAYING that, like the video hypothesizes, it's placeholder hardware for an updated Tegra chip. (edit: although I guess it's not strictly a "home console." That was a little unfair of me.)

Home console ? Where ?

ultrazilla

And I am convinced its an X2 in there. Why else put a overclocked Tegra X1 in their with a loud fan?

I agree. I think it'll be the x2 as well. No reason for them to overclock the 1.
All the doom and gloom people need to relax imho. Nintendo knows the Wii U
failed from it being under powered. I don't see them turning around and giving
us another under powered console.

My prediction is that it will use a x2 or custom x1(thus them needing to overclock the current chip)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom