• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF on Zelda Switch: Docked has major frame drops, portable doesn't (no score talk)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'll probably end up playing this mostly in portable mode, but that is some really disappointing news. I definitely want to enjoy it on my TV with a Pro controller, too, but performance drops like that certainly are discouraging.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wait till they get to the tropical biome. Just Cause 3/Dark Souls 1 blighttown levels of performance ugh.

Yeah, the gameplay demo from that area ran like shit when they briefly showed it off. I hoped they would iron that out, but I guess not.

BumRush

And lol to these who are whimpering about the score, it's so obvious that you're completely salty that it rated better than your favorite game. Keep it going, it's music to my ears.

I'm not one complaining about the score, but I have read this thread...shouldn't the performance of a game have SOME bearing on the end score? It seems as though it was overlooked completely in the raw scores. Just a question since you called folks out for it.

That sounds like a long time to me.
The game wasn't finished yet, and it was with three different specs: Wii U, Switch-portable, and Switch-console. It looks like portable mode was the biggest focus, while Console-mode may need a few more optimizations.

phanphare

Banned
I'm not one complaining about the score, but I have read this thread...shouldn't the performance of a game have SOME bearing on the end score? It seems as though it was overlooked completely in the raw scores. Just a question since you called folks out for it.

it did

NSESN

You know what, i am not feeding this argument again. This is a performance thread and not a review one.

Myriadis

That's why it is 98 instead of 100. I mean even Mass Effect 2 got a 96 for the Xbox.
I'm sure it would've gotten a better score of not for this issue.

That said, it looks like relatively easily fixable on the switch, considering that it looks like irregular hiccups. Hope they find a way at least for the switch version

sense

I do believe reviews have looked past technical issues because the game is Zelda.

I am hyped to play the game myself but recent games such as Dragons Dogma, Just Cause 3 and Driveclub lost points for technical issues (rightfully so) as it impacted on the game.
Totally agreed. I realized the Zelda bias among critics when skyward sword got those perfect scores.

Repeating what Steve said:

Also, I think it's worth pointing out that this is a technical thread and not the review thread. We really should quit discussing whether or not this calls into question the current Metacritic score. That's really derailing the discussion here.

Feel free to air disappointment in performance and such, but the arguments about review score and Metascore are just going to go around in circles and invite fanboy bickering.

ec0ec0

And not to mention the custom Tegra in the switch has way less memory bandwidth than a standard Tegra, in other words this is a bottleneck that will take a hardware revision rather than a patch to solve.

Is that the case? Just asking for a confirmation.

Wil348

I've been playing for about a day now and the drops don't really hinder the experience for me. A patch would be nice though. I'm more inclined to think it didn't have enough time to be optimised that well for docked mode than it being an issue with hardware, since handheld mode can run it at almost the same graphical fidelity with a stable 30fps on half the clock speed.

jett

D-Member
goddammit. now when my switch and game get delivered today it'll go right into the trash. fuckers.

giphy.gif

Be sure to give it a good thrashing first. That'll teach it!

raw

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is a bummer. Performance and resolution aren't scaling up as much I would expect from the clock differences. I figured 720p>1080p would be easy for the docked mode and that performance would be identical.

Wait till they get to the tropical biome. Just Cause 3/Dark Souls 1 blighttown levels of performance ugh.

Blight town yep, maybe even slightly worse in some specific areas.
It's been a while since i played dark souls 1, i recall blight town being very bad but not to the extremes that zelda gets in specific later areas.
It's crazy as i would never expect nintendo to ship a game in this condition knowing that a lot of people will be playing it in docked mode.

Again, this forum will go nuts in a few days once people start reaching certain areas if they think 20fps is bad.
Expected far better from nintendo for such an important game and i'm certain they will improve it with patches before the dlc hits.

Just started watching this myself. So much shimmering, Christ. Nintendo needs to discover anti-aliasing, stat.

This. I can't stand that they disrespect their artists so much that they still won't give them a machine that doesn't ruin the the graphics, in this day and age. I have no doubt the game is insanely good though, but come on.

Will wait till december before i buy a Switch. If at all, at this point.

Will they do a WiiU version comp.?

Jezan

It's fair to say that handheld performance is solid, so that would have to factored into the issue.
This is the issue I have with the Switch, are games going to be optimized only for one mode? I don't want to play portable, I want to play it in a big screen.

Tain

Maybe if I wait to play the game for the Hard Mode DLC (which is probably the smart thing to do anyway) I'll also get a patch that makes it stick to 30fps in the dock.

Every DF thread. Performance issues are either downplayed or over exaggerated depending how a poster feels about the game.
Very true.

-Poster likes game: "The game is awesome! The frame drops irk me but I can get past it."
-Poster dislikes game/feels it's MC is too high: "Unacceptable to have frame drops in 2017. How did this game get a 98 metacritic?"*

*Be on the lookout for the same posters making these comments in the future - guaranteed some head over heels with future games released on more powerful hardware with frame rate issue and suddenly drops won't be a problem.

That said, hope we get a patch that improves performance. This is running in Wind Waker HD territory.

Chaos17

Finally, we've Digital foundry analysis so we can get over it.
I want Nintendo to patch the game and release the potential of Switch so we can have a Zelda similar to te one they showed at previous E3.
I know Nintendo didn't wanted to make Wii U users angry but I think they should do it for the Switch sake.

Nintendo need to make a clear difference between the two version and not just patch it.

Edit: and yes, it's not like Nintendo do let this happen, so I want them to patch game asap.

ec0ec0

Ah yes, remember kids that all scores are meaningless and the proof is in the pudding when given another extensive look at an effects heavy beginning area where most of the bigger frame drops occur, but not actually the whole game.
That's not the case. Framerate is worse in towns, even more so if you add weather effects(if it is raining). Others areas like death mountain and the tropical area also have worse framerates. Those are just some examples given by people in this very thread.

This is the issue I have with the Switch, are games going to be optimized only for one mode? I don't want to play portable, I want to play it in a big screen.

Didn't splatoon 2 previews suggest the same thing, that it was really good in portable mode but dodgy when docked.
i know it's still in development but i'd guess that nintendo is prioritising portable mode first and foremost.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
That's not the case. Framerate is worse in towns, even more so if you add weather effects(if it is raining). Others areas like death mountain and the tropical area also have worse framerates. That's are just some examples given by people in this very thread.

Are the framerate drops persistent/continuous throughout those areas, or do they happen occasionally and then return to normal gameplay?

NSESN

Didn't splatoon 2 previews suggest the same thing, that it was really good in portable mode but dodgy when docked.
i know it's still in development but i'd guess that nintendo is prioritising portable mode first and foremost.

It isn't dodgy docked, it is the exact the same docked, iirc.
The only Nintendo game so far that is better docked is MK8D.

KORNdoggy

It would be funny if the wii-u version ends up performing better than the switch version on account of its lower resolution.

ec0ec0

Are the framerate drops persistent/continuous throughout those areas, or do they happen occasionally and then return to normal gameplay?
Can you comment on this Griss? (He's the user who mentioned it in this, and other, threads. He has the wiiu version). I think that, regarding towns, he said that it was constant, if i recall.

Jon

I have only played it for a little bit, and the framerate drops are noticeable, don't get me wrong. My fiancee asked me, "is it ok that the game is jittering like that?", and I told her that it had been reported in the previews and reviews. However, and I don't mean for this to sound like I am glossing it over, but when you're actually playing it and your mind is occupied but everything going on in the game itself, or trying to climb this, or explore over there, it isn't as jarring an experience as watching it happen from the sidelines.

KooopaKid

Banned
I have only played it for a little bit, and the framerate drops are noticeable, don't get me wrong. My fiancee asked me, "is it ok that the game is jittering like that?", and I told her that it had been reported in the previews and reviews. However, and I don't mean for this to sound like I am glossing it over, but when you're actually playing it and your mind is occupied but everything going on in the game itself, or trying to climb this, or explore over there, it isn't as jarring an experience as watching it happen from the sidelines.

Same for me.

That said, in portable mode, it's just perfect. Next-gen portable experience right there. Very impressive, so beautiful.

sirap

Framerate fluctuates when you're roaming around in empty plains, but they're constant in towns and definitely in tropical areas.

bumpkin

I noticed it last night while I was playing on the TV but paid it no mind besides a fleeting bit of disappointment. I know, I know, "Nintendo fans are blindly loyal and stupid." Whatever, I love the console and the game!

Kilvas

Stuff like this just justifies my decision to wait. Although I'd mostly play in portable anyway. BF uses the big tv for the ps4 >_>

psychotron

About to pick up my Switch, and this has me upset. Can we set the system to output 720 for a performance gain in docked mode?

I just started the game and I noticed it a lot in the very beginning right when you get out from the cave but not so much later on. We'll see about it as I go on.

Top Bottom