• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Snake Pass PS4/Switch Comparison.

hoserx

2486879-reggie.jpg

"Two words you're going to hear a lot on Nintendo Switch. 675p and 30 fps."

Just playing, Reggie. In for a copy on Switch. :p

It may not be 1080p on either system but DF said the AA solution still delivers a great image quality. Hitting 1080 isn't everything if the end result is still pleasing.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sub 900p and 30 fps on the Ps4, not demmanding at all! :p.

Game looks good, though. If I had a Switch I would buy this asap, but I don't. It would probably look spectacular on my PC though. Thinking about it.

For those who haven't yet watched the video, John talks a bit about how effective UE4's temporal upscaling helps improve the IQ despite the low native resolutions. I wonder if this kinda thing is more common with UE4 than we might think.

No, that is incorrect. It is in the description of the video. Stop spreading fake news.

Oh, I hadn't expanded the description, my bad. Still, it only talks about the framerate, not the resolution.

It's not even a little telling once you consider the circumstances that lead to the assumption.

Huh? Again, the fake video didn't show anything at 60fps (despite apparently saying it in the description), and I honestly have no idea how to tell the exact resolution from a youtube video.

Interfectum

man that was a pretty fast port for Switch.

I give the developers some props for not having something super buggy

For sure... I'm just really disappointed about the resolution on Switch. Sub-native resolution bugs me almost as much as bad framerate. I'd much rather have reduced textures, effects, etc.

Shiggy

Is this simply related to the developer or is the game somehow very demanding? Other games look much more detailed and run at full resolution. With this being a budget release I wouldn't be surprised if the team was rather small and had other priorities.

Others here are already jumping to conclusions. By their standards, X-Men Destiny was one of the most demanding PS3 titles I guess.

NeoRaider

It's probably just badly optimized game. I mean it really doesn't look demanding at all. I simply can't believe that this is sub 900p and 30fps on PS4 and only 1080p on Pro. Just wow.

BigEmil

So PS4 Pro is 1080p 60fps?

Early footage showed the game running at an uncapped framerate, but they locked it down to 30 in the final game on base hardware. That being said, people have been saying that the game does hit 60 fps on PS4 Pro in 1080p mode, so the dream isn't entirely dead.

Ah, they shouldn't have locked it in the later patch should give an option atleast for PS4. No wonder PS4 Pro is stable 60fps

Is this simply related to the developer or is the game somehow very demanding? Other games look much more detailed and run at full resolution. With this being a budget release I wouldn't be surprised if the team was rather small and had other priorities.

Others here are already jumping to conclusions. By their standards, X-Men Destiny was one of the most demanding PS3 titles I guess.

Noodle's fairly complex physics could be part of it.

Disappointing on both platforms IMO. Was waiting to pick this up on Switch but I think I may just go for a Steam copy instead for 1080p/60

Good look for Switch tho tbh. Considering the spec difference between PS4 this is closer than I expected.

bomblord1

Banned
Given how well the Switch holds up to the more powerful PS4 I'm really interested to see how well it compares to the Xbox One.

Recall

but of course it is this is HARDCORE GAMING neogaf.

It's repetitive,

The games themselves are never the conversation it's just frame rate and resolution is if those things are the ONLY things that matter.

There are so many posters who say they will refuse to play games that aren't 1080p and 60fps. I guess it's sad but hey, it's the same demand people have had for eons but I survived the days where 16 fps was the norm and so did many others.

Games are not defined by frame rate or resolution.

Ridley327

Yeah, after all they said that the Switch version was a quick port , maybe they didnt want to make a huge gamble on this game.

It astonishes me that the Switch version came out so well in what amounted to weeks of development time. Great news for both Sumo Digital's efficiency even with limited time and resources, as well as UE4 ports in the future.

Eusis

So 30 FPS on base PS4 and not native resolution there either? Yeah, I'd go Switch then. And if this keeps happening with UE4 games I might even do that for Bloodstained.

shiyrley

Banned
b07ek6Y.png

Doubt it means much but welp.

Maybe they are using the standard handheld GPU speeds and they can upgrade to the 384 MHz mode?

Remember there are 3 modes. Handheld standard, handheld boost, docked

Also 864p vs 675p and 30 FPS vs 30 FPS is a MUCH, MUCH better situation for Switch than 1080p vs 720p and 60 FPS vs 30 FPS.

The games themselves are never the conversation it's just frame rate and resolution is if those things are the ONLY things that matter.

Oh my gaaaawd. My eyes rolled so hard at you right now. Get your head out of your ass. We can all tell that you don't like technical discussion, obviously. That doesn't mean you should trot out this stupid old bullshit.

Anyone can take a look at the main page and see thousands of threads where the games themselves 'are the conversation'. You're just trying to overstate people's concerns over performance in order to make them seem unreasonable. Anyone with half a brain can see clear through that shit, though, so just quit it. Quit crying when people bring up framerate and resolution. It's a part of every game, it impacts people's enjoyment of games enough to discuss and analyze, and if you don't like that -fact- or the entire conversation then guess what

there's hundreds of other fucking threads you can post in that aren't DF threads. Kay?

Looks great on switch.
Can't wait to try it out tonight docked.
Really surprised that it's sub 900p on ps4 though, it makes the fact that it looks so good on switch with a short dev time even more impressive.
Really hope they can further optimise the game with patches for both platforms though

SURGEdude

It's repetitive,

There are so many posters who say they will refuse to play games that aren't 1080p and 60fps. I guess it's sad but hey, it's the same demand people have had for eons but I survived the days where 16 fps was the norm and so did many others.

Games are not defined by frame rate or resolution.

This is a tech thread. People are talking tech, not gameplay or art. This shouldn't surprise anybody who walks into a DF thread.

It's an interesting and tricky thing. On the one hand, the game clearly has a lot of moving objects that could be demanding of the CPU, especially with the additional lighting and shadow effects. On the other hand, that it's running a sub-native 1080p while also only being 30 fps on the PS4 - capping both ends of visual performance - suggests something strange, where you would nominally expect running at 30 fps to be the compromise for 1080p on the PS4.

I figured Snake Pass would have been interesting at the Switch's first multi-platform comparison, but I didn't realise it'd be this interesting.

Drencrom

Not sure how they weren't able to get the game running in 1080p on base PS4. Nothing in the footage looks very taxing and the game plays fairly slow on top of it too.

Rodin

Decision to get it on PC vindicated lol

Shouldn't be a huge problem to get it to run at 1080p 60fps on a 970. These resolutions are atrocious, wondering how much a bit more time in the oven could have helped here.

I thought it was 60fps on Pro? Why are they only comparing against peasant-spec PS4? And what about XBO?

In the video he says that's coming later. They just wanted to focus on PS4/Switch as that's probably the most interesting comparison to make, seeing as we have very few actual examples of multiplats on Switch.

Branduil

I think the fact that a lot of people assumed the PS4 was 1080p 60fps and it's apparently neither is frankly pretty telling about how important these numbers are.

Anyway this is a very interesting comparison and bodes quite well for the Switch when it comes to UE4 titles.

Good TAA covers a multitude of resolution sins.

jett

D-Member
I guess Unreal Engines can't help but be really taxing on consoles. :p

Good work from Sumo Digital on the Switch, it looks really close.

AmFreak

Yes. With a couple rare drops here and there it's almost completely locked 60fps.
Wow that's really strange.
Could have been a last time decision to lock to 30fps.
So before they had 1536 x 864 @ 60fps and it didn't work good enough and then they dropped to 30 without changing the res due to time constraints to test.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow that's really strange.
Could have been a last time decision to lock to 30fps.
So before they had 1536 x 864 @ 60fps and it didn't work good enough and then they dropped to 30 without changing the res due to time constraints to test.
I'm guessing that's right as older PS4 footage is unlocked (looks like 45-50fps or so on average).

Top Bottom