• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF:The Evil Within 2 PS4/PS4 Pro Analysis

BeeDog

Really lame that the game doesn't currently support the Pro. All blame on Tango/Bethesda; I don't see why Sony should mandate anything when Pro support is such free marketing for the developers.

At least let's hope they patch in something.

the first game had issues that got improved with patches, and the PC version runs great. I'm hoping that the same becomes true (eventually) with the sequel.

Jinroh

the first game had issues that got improved with patches, and the PC version runs great.

The pc version doesn't run great without messing with the settings. I have a GTX 1080 / G-sync and the framepacing was a constant nuisance. It never felt like the game was running at 60 fps, even though it did.

Fredrik

Is this Bethesda's way of voting with their wallets? They explained early on when Pro was a rumour what they thought about the upgrade idea, so it shouldn't be a surprise if they aren't fully aboard. Still disappointing now that I've warmed up to the upgrades myself. I assume Xbox One X will get the same treatment.

kennyamr

No/delayed Pro support huh?

I definitely expect that from 'Godlike Bethesda.' They are always like that.

Actually it would be weird if it had support.

On a personal note, I never liked any of their games before and I was not planning to start buying now so it's not a big loss for me, thankfully.

Was waiting for DF video to see what kind of Pro enhancements it has before buying. No Pro features at all means its gone from day 1 now to wait n watch.

sasliquid

Well I guess I can wait on picking it up for now then, really want to support the game but I might as well wait till the improvements are available

Not a good sign for Wolfenstein tho

Wordstar

Neo Member
at this Point Sony should mandate Pro Support for all Titles released on the PS4 Plattform! This is getting ridiculus!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Was gonna pick it up for the weekend, but now I'll be waiting until they patch it. This is fucking unacceptable. Just earlier this week I was arguing with someone here that said Bethesda had nothing to do with Prey's lack of Pro support, and that it was all Arkane's fault. That's two games in a row now. If smaller budget games like The Surge and Hellblade can have excellent Pro support at launch, no reason Bethesda-backed games shouldn't either.

Is Wolfenstein next?

bosseye

No pro support, shame. I'll wait and see if it's patched in later, if not then I'll just get it second hand somewhere next year.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
the first game had issues that got improved with patches, and the PC version runs great. I'm hoping that the same becomes true (eventually) with the sequel.
Well, PC version is much better than consoles but it still seems pretty sluggish.

It's a 2014 game with mediocre visuals and a Titan Xp is unable to hold 60fps at 4K which just seems crazy. I can't think of any other games from that period which struggle like the original Evil Within.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Well, PC version is much better than consoles but it still seems pretty sluggish.

It's a 2014 game with mediocre visuals and a Titan Xp is unable to hold 60fps at 4K which just seems crazy. I can't think of any other games from that period which struggle like the original Evil Within.

Arkham Knight maybe? Unless they fixed it.

Eusis

No Pro support in certain is really getting unacceptable. Sony really needs to put their foot down on this shit.
At a minimum just "natively use that extra horse power even if it's not 60 FPS or over 1080p." Maybe for some low end games it won't make a difference, but I have to imagine for a lot of games that were stressing the system with a cap on you'd at least get consistent performance.

dark10x

Arkham Knight maybe? Unless they fixed it.
Oh, good point, though Arkham Knight is still one of the most visually striking games on the market versus Evil Within which is quite pedestrian in comparison.

I do think AK runs better than Evil Within now, though.

Markitron

Oh, good point, though Arkham Knight is still one of the most visually striking games on the market versus Evil Within which is quite pedestrian in comparison.

I do think AK runs better than Evil Within now, though.

Yea that game still looks great even running on base PS4. Could only wonder what a Pro patch would do for it.

valkyre

I have been saying this a lot but people seem to just defend Sony anyways and just placing blame on the developer only...

But Sony's support of the Pro, even now, a few days before the arrival of XBOX ONE X, is embarrassing...

They need to pick up the phone and start sending emails towards devs, or else they are going to shoot themselves on the foot.

CrayToes

If you’re not buying the game based on the fact that it runs at 1080p 30fps as opposed to 1440p 30fps then I find it hard to believe you were ever truly interested in it. Having said that, Tango need to get their shit together.

00ich

They need to pick up the phone and start sending emails towards devs, or else they are going to shoot themselves on the foot.

Or the numbers are in and Sony concluded that mid-generation refreshes are a bust and the console industry is already on their way out.

From a developers perspective the curve from "Pro support will grant additional sales" to "no Pro support will cost sales" is remarkable anyway.

kc44135

Why is John implying that it's "common" for games to skip PRO support!? A major AAA game skipping PRO support completely isn't common at all.
I have been saying this a lot but people seem to just defend Sony anyways and just placing blame on the developer only...

But Sony's support of the Pro, even now, a few days before the arrival of XBOX ONE X, is embarrassing...

Neither Sony or Microsoft have ever mandated any kind of PRO/X support. Therefore, lack of support for either system is on Devs.

valkyre

Or the numbers are in and Sony concluded that mid-generation refreshes are a bust and on their way out.

From a developers perspective the curve from "Pro support will grant additional sales" to "no Pro support will cost sales" is remarkable anyway.

Yeah you are not wrong about this. If sony decided that Pro was a mistake they probably dont care now.

But still that makes them douchebags in regards to customer support...

kc44135

Or the numbers are in and Sony concluded that mid-generation refreshes are a bust and the console industry is already on their way out.

So, "the console industry is on it's way out" despite all three consoles selling incredibly well? Sony decided this based off the PS4 being their second best selling console ever?

00ich

So, "the console industry is on it's way out" despite all three consoles selling incredibly well? Sony decided this based off the PS4 being their second best selling console ever?

Out of mid generation-refreshs, not console manufacturing.

Markitron

If you're not buying the game based on the fact that it runs at 1080p 30fps as opposed to 1440p 30fps then I find it hard to believe you were ever truly interested in it. Having said that, Tango need to get their shit together.

I can assure you I was very interested to play it. People like me bought a Pro for a more premium experience, they have a right to feel slightly aggrieved that a game releasing a year after the console launched hasn't bothered supporting it. This is compounded by the fact that it's the second Bethesda-published game in a row to do this, and people don't want to support that.

Tbh I suspect most of these posters are like me and have simply downgraded it from a day 1 purchase. There's so much else to play right now that it's not that much of a problem.

dark10x

How exactly is the console industry on its way out?

How exactly is the console industry on its way out?

Tales from his ass!

It's puzzling not to see Pro 'enhancements' (annoys me when people call it Pro 'support' the Pro supports the game, it's just not enhanced!)

I would have thought they could have bumped up the resolution for some better clarity. Maybe they will work on such a thing but who knows.

Weird wording from John though, to imply its "common" for new games to have no Pro support at all.
It's extremely common...just not for big AAA releases.

Interesting reaction to this. It of course sucks for PS4 Pro users but that's kind of on Sony for marketing the box in a specific way, chiefly that every game will see benefits.
Very close to every game does see benefits. Even this video pointed out that Evil Within 2 runs marginally better on Pro due to Boost Mode. People understandably want more, but the Pro does exactly what it's been advertised to do.

Wow Sony really doesn't give a shit about the Pro it seems. Why aren't they making support mandatory?
Because supporting Pro costs more money, and platform holders try to minimize their interference in devs' budgeting.

List out all the games which don't have any Pro support at all.
There are hundreds of these since Pro launched. It's not common for AAA games, but for games in general it definitely is.

Is this the first biggish game with no Pro support at all post Pro launch? Not counting late localizations like Persona 5.
We still don't know if WWE 2K18 or South Park will have support. Gundam Versus might not, LEGO Ninjago might not, Pillars of Eternity Complete, Warriors All-Stars, Naruto: UNS Legacy, Dead by Daylight, Friday the 13th.... Some of these may actually have support that just hasn't been announced or deduced, but I doubt all of them do. Going back further, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 definitely does not have Pro support, and neither do any of the recent Telltale games.

kc44135

Out of mid generation-refreshs, not console manufacturing.

All right, so then where is this narrative that PRO/X are a failure coming from? So far, Sony has said that the sales of PRO have been satisfactory, and all signs point to X being at least moderately successful as well. Beyond all that, Sony not mandating PRO support is not them giving up on PRO. They never mandated it in the first place. As far as AAA publishers skipping PRO support goes, only Bethesda has done so, thus far.

Let's just hope this won't be happen more often because otherwise One X owners will basically be stuck with the Xbox One version, so its resolution unless it's dynamic and other crap too. Just when you think under 1080p is finally gone with the new One X. Not saying it will happen and I sure as hell hope Wolfie2 gets a proper patch.

kc44135

Let's just hope this won't be happen more often because otherwise One X owners will basically be stuck with the Xbox One version, so its resolution unless it's dynamic and other crap too. Just when you think under 1080p is finally gone with the new One X. Not saying it will happen and I sure as hell hope Wolfie2 gets a proper patch.

Yeah, hadn't even thought about that. A lot of games on X1 are 720/900p, right? Imagine buying a shiny new "4K" console for your 4K TV and getting treated to that. Oof.

d9b

Banned

Laughing out loud!

That’s two “big” games now Bethesda, please Machine Gun Games come through on Wolfe . My only real concern is being locked into regular Xbox One resolutions/framerates if there’s going to be delayed/no Pro/X support, for games that I want to play day 1. I was planning on picking up Wolfenstien and playing it on my X launch day.

Can Sony really force devs to do pro support on games? I mean clearly they can't but ppl seems to be advocating that they should which is weird to me.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Played it at 1440p on a 770 4GB. Was decent at the time. Didn't knew it scaled that badly, though.

Markitron

Can Sony really force devs to do pro support on games? I mean clearly they can't but ppl seems to be advocating that they should which is weird to me.

Realistically, they don't seem to need to. AFAIK Prey and TEW2 are the only high-profile games that have shipped without Pro support since launch.

Jacob4815

Sony and Bethesda:

giphy.gif

kc44135

Realistically, they don't seem to need to. AFAIK Prey and TEW2 are the only high-profile games that have shipped without Pro support since launch.
Yeah, for AAA games, it's pretty much a given (not so much for indie games, but that's understandable given budget constraints and such, and it's not as though anyone plays those for "teh graphx" anyway...). That's why TEW2's complete lack of PRO support is so bizarre/troubling. Even with Prey, PRO support was listed on the back of the box, so we knew it was coming, which Arkane confirmed shortly after release, IIrc. We haven't even gotten that much with this game, which is very concerning.

Sony and Bethesda:

giphy.gif

"I briefly sampled the PC version of the game and initial performance impressions are quite positive"

Hmmmm

John's machine is killer and very up-to-date (and he mentions that as the caveat). If someone has an older i5 or older i7, it seems a bit CPU limited at the moment in the PC Performance thread as far as I am reading. And you also have to remember that people on PC are used to targeting 60 fps or more....

That is concerning just because those are some big CPUs still...

Foxxsoxx

Well I've been playing it on my Pro and even at 1080p this game looks very good.

Way more clean than the original for sure. I wouldn't let the lack of a pro patch deter you guys from the game, it's very, very good.

kc44135

Well I've been playing it on my Pro and even at 1080p this game looks very good.

Way more clean than the original for sure. I wouldn't let the lack of a pro patch deter you guys from the game, it's very, very good.

I'm sure the game is great (I loved the original), and I already know it looks great on PS4 just from DF's vid. It's not the quality of the visuals or the game itself deterring me here. It's the principle of the matter. As a PRO owner, I don't want to buy this game and send the message that it's OK for a major AAA release to simply skip PRO support like this. Until there is at least confirmation of a PRO patch on the way, I won't buy this game, even if it's the sequel to one of my favorite games of the generation thus far.

xrnzaaas

Nice to hear about solid performance on the standard PS4, I will be getting the game when it's on sale at the end of the year. :)

dark10x

"I briefly sampled the PC version of the game and initial performance impressions are quite positive"

Hmmmm
Well, first impressions were positive but it's clear that there are issues.

The main thing I'm seeing is nasty stuttering when using the 60fps mode. It runs at a locked frame-rate but, for whatever reason, there are minor hitches that keep popping up during gameplay. It's not great even when dropping the resolution to 1080p.

Switching to the 30fps cap, however, eliminates almost all stuttering. I've been playing at native 4K using ultra settings with the 30fps cap. I'd prefer 60 but it looks fantastic at 4K.

It seems like a moderately OK port but not a great one. Clearly you need a powerful machine.

I'm using an i7 5820k as always (6 cores) with an overclock to 4ghz + GTX Titan Xp installed on a Samsung EVO SSD.

It seems to be using all cores and threads but core 1 is getting the most workout. GPU usage at 4K with the 30fps cap hovers around 50%, though, so lots of headroom. Uncapped drives usage up to the max with frame-times ~15-20ms on the GPU most of the time (at 4K). Which means you end up with ~45-50fps most of the time at that res with the stutters.

Here's a shot downscaled from 4K with all settings maxed.

eN6c.jpg

I hope that DF will test PC version not only with Titan XP ��
I will try. I'd like to sample it on more PCs, it's just a matter of how much time I can dedicate to this project. I'm not really looking to benchmark the game, per se, rather showcase the various settings differences and discuss performance on a top end GPU. If it's struggling there you can extrapolate that lesser hardware will have more of an issue.

I'll try it on my 970/i5 machine if possible.

Top Bottom