• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF:The Evil Within 2 PS4/PS4 Pro Analysis

CyberChulo

Had to buy the PS4 version. I tried this game on my i7-5820 with a 980 and even at 720P with the lowest preset setting, my game was struggling to maintain 48 to 55fps. Yes I know my card is old but I'm not buying a new card when I have another system that can run this at a stable frame rate.

I guess no one here cares that the game runs pretty good without Pro support. I honestly don't care as long as the runs fine.
Same here just want to play the damn game. If it get support in the future great and it really should I understand how this could set a bad precedent but I'm still planning on playing it.

rtcn63

Had to buy the PS4 version. I tried this game on my i7-5820 with a 980 and even at 720P with the lowest preset setting, my game was struggling to maintain 48 to 55fps. Yes I know my card is old but I'm not buying a new card when I have another system that can run this at a stable frame rate.

Like Dark and many people in the PC thread have hinted - you may have to settle on locking the game to 30fps and putting your settings to high/ultra. (At least for now) A stable 60fps is just very hard to hit even on upper-midrange hardware regardless of graphical settings, and it's likely because of the game engine. (Paragon stated that it has similar performance issues to the original TEW pre-patches)

Yeah, hadn't even thought about that. A lot of games on X1 are 720/900p, right? Imagine buying a shiny new "4K" console for your 4K TV and getting treated to that. Oof.

Exactly man. I'm not sure but i think the first one was 900p on Xbox One and i don't know if thats the case with the sequel but man would that suck. It does seem however that the majority of games get support though.

Lol and people thought that mid-gen console upgrades would be prefrable to PC upgrades. Paying extra for more beefy hardware then to be at the mercy of game devs to 'unlock' that power for you. Such a stupid setup.

Lol and people thought that mid-gen console upgrades would be prefrable to PC upgrades. Paying extra for more beefy hardware then to be at the mercy of game devs to 'unlock' that power for you. Such a stupid setup.

It is preferable to those of us who prefer console gaming over PC gaming.

I'm not asserting it's better but I'd personally rather invest in a Pro and XBX than upgrade my PC.

Also, are we now pretending that PC gamers don't sometimes have to wait for patches to optimize performance too?

Same here just want to play the damn game. If it get support in the future great and it really should I understand how this could set a bad precedent but I'm still planning on playing it.

I'm annoyed that the Pro support is lagging but I agree if the game is running at a steady frame rate at a native 1080p then I'm content.

Hopefully we'll get that delicious down sampling later with a patch.

The idea of a platform holder mandating that developers spend extra resources to accommodate features that were introduced years after the platform's launch is incredibly shitty and it's sad that many in here are demanding it when the industry has problems with budgets, crunch time, and lack of job security.

Why not just lock PC version at 30?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks like PC version is abit wonky. May consider PS4 if they got a Pro stable fps patch.

Based on the video, Pro + Boost mode = very very stable 1080p/30 FPS. So if a stable frame rate is your main concern, it's already in a good enough state.

belvedere

Junior Butler
It's extremely common...just not for big AAA releases.
There are hundreds of these since Pro launched. It's not common for AAA games, but for games in general it definitely is.

Really? You're saying more titles than not lack Pro support since the Pro launched? And you're referring to indie titles?

If that's the case than I guess "common" is an accurate term. But I consider myself a pretty active follower of all things gaming and its seemingly rare when titles that receive any kind of spotlight lack Pro support.

nOoblet16

Higher resolution than first game
Far better framerate
Quite a bit better visuals
A lot bigger areas

Yea this is a win, even if there's a lack of pro support

Sanctuary

Well, first impressions were positive but it's clear that there are issues.

The main thing I'm seeing is nasty stuttering when using the 60fps mode. It runs at a locked frame-rate but, for whatever reason, there are minor hitches that keep popping up during gameplay. It's not great even when dropping the resolution to 1080p.

Switching to the 30fps cap, however, eliminates almost all stuttering. I've been playing at native 4K using ultra settings with the 30fps cap. I'd prefer 60 but it looks fantastic at 4K.

It seems like a moderately OK port but not a great one. Clearly you need a powerful machine.

I'm using an i7 5820k as always (6 cores) with an overclock to 4ghz + GTX Titan Xp installed on a Samsung EVO SSD.

It seems to be using all cores and threads but core 1 is getting the most workout. GPU usage at 4K with the 30fps cap hovers around 50%, though, so lots of headroom. Uncapped drives usage up to the max with frame-times ~15-20ms on the GPU most of the time (at 4K). Which means you end up with ~45-50fps most of the time at that res with the stutters.

Here's a shot downscaled from 4K with all settings maxed.

eN6c.jpg

I will try. I'd like to sample it on more PCs, it's just a matter of how much time I can dedicate to this project. I'm not really looking to benchmark the game, per se, rather showcase the various settings differences and discuss performance on a top end GPU. If it's struggling there you can extrapolate that lesser hardware will have more of an issue.

I'll try it on my 970/i5 machine if possible.

I tried pretty much every setting for resolution, frame rate, and nothing resolved the stutterfest with those options. I even disabled most of the graphical options (certainly those that would actually be the more demanding ones) or turned them on low if they couldn't be disabled. Didn't help. The game would run at "60fps" (not a single frame drop below either) but jerk every few seconds like Bloodborne at its worst. It literally felt like playing the worst version of a multiplat game on a console that I can remember. Something like Dragon's Dogma or Skyrim on the PS3 (which I fortunately didn't have to play) I guess.

Before finally giving up, I changed one option. This shouldn't have caused such a drastic difference at all, but turning Camera Motion Blur off at least mostly resolved the game looking and feeling like it was suddenly slowing down to a crawl while stuttering. It didn't eliminate the pacing problems, but they became much less pronounced. This shouldn't be happening.

lol. Are there really people who will not play the game just because it not justify the buying of their Pro?

It's more like not supporting developers who don't support your hardware. If they can't be assed to do a tiny bit of work to add Pro support then why would I be assed to pick their game instead of the plethora of others?

This game looks good.... but so does GT Sport and South Park. And I ain't made of money.

adamsapple

lol. Are there really people who will not play the game just because it not justify the buying of their Pro?

Yes.

Why is that so surprising ? I still want to play the game but right now, really not inclined on paying the full price for it.

Gator86

It's more like not supporting developers who don't support your hardware. If they can't be assed to do a tiny bit of work to add Pro support then why would I be assed to pick their game instead of the plethora of others?

This game looks good.... but so does GT Sport and South Park. And I ain't made of money.

Basically. This year has been absolutely jam packed with games. Even the slimmest of reasons to spend money on one game over another matters. If someone's choosing between half a dozen games to play, why wouldn't they wait for this to get the support it should have had at launch and play something else that launched with support for their hardware?

Perfectly said.

South Park has Pro support?

South Park has Pro support?

South Park is a cartoon. It doesn't really matter if it has Pro support.

Actually getting that on PS4 because of Denuvo on PC version. Another thing I avoid handing my money over to is shit DRM. If I don't like something I don't hand my money over anyway hoping for the best like a sheep.

Astral Dog

PS4 version is solid
It doesn't? Thats weird

Actually getting that on PS4 because of Denuvo on PC version. Another thing I avoid handing my money over to is shit DRM. If I don't like something I don't hand my money over anyway hoping for the best like a sheep.

But Pyre has 4K Pro support and is a 2D game. Just curious why South Park gets a pass in your above example. Instead, it seems like you were probably not all that likely to buy The Evil Within 2 anyways, and the lack of Pro support is the justification you needed to instead direct your dollars to games you intended to purchase anyways.

Which is fine. It’s your money. But using the lack of Pro support to hold off on a game you actually wanted to play, when by all accounts it runs fine at 1080p, doesn’t make sense.

It for some reason Last of Us 2 or God of War decided to skip Pro support, we’d all buy it anyways because those are games we actually want.

Lack of Pro suport from a AAA publisher is a huge bummer. Ninja Theory supported the pro and that was a 12 man team on a paper thin budget.

But Pyre has 4K Pro support and is a 2D game. Just curious why South Park gets a pass in your above example. Instead, it seems like you were probably not all that likely to buy The Evil Within 2 anyways, and the lack of Pro support is the justification you needed to instead direct your dollars to games you intended to purchase anyways.

Which is fine. It’s your money. But using the lack of Pro support to hold off on a game you actually wanted to play, when by all accounts it runs fine at 1080p, doesn’t make sense.

It for some reason Last of Us 2 or God of War decided to skip Pro support, we’d all buy it anyways because those are games we actually want.
Don't worry, I'll be sure to PM you a pic of my copy if they add Pro support. As long as it's not a half assed effort like Prey.

Someone please clear this up for me.

Purely based around some posts I've seen on GAF, if I'm understanding this correctly, there is basically a trivial amount of work for a dev to at least enable downsampling on the Pro without affecting performance. As I understand it, 4K tv owners can set their display to 1080p and the Pro will downsample to it. Is that correct?

If so, it's fucking bonkers that the Pro version of TEW doesn't have that as a standard pro feature for owners of a 1080p tv

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Purely based around some posts I've seen on GAF, if I'm understanding this correctly, there is basically a trivial amount of work for a dev to at least enable downsampling on the Pro without affecting performance. As I understand it, 4K tv owners can set their display to 1080p and the Pro will downsample to it. Is that correct?

If so, it's fucking bonkers that the Pro version of TEW doesn't have that as a standard pro feature for owners of a 1080p tv
Developers have to implement super sampling and it has to run at a higher res than 1080p on a 4k display for supersampling to even be relevant. This just has a boost mode benefit.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Downsampling doesn't even come into play with this game as it never renders higher than 1080p in any mode.

adamsapple

You're mixing two points here. This game does not have any Pro upgrades at all. On a PS4 Pro, it runs the same as it does on an OG PS4. The same native 1080p resolution.

The only benefit Pro owners can get is a bit more smoother performance when enabling boost mode, a system-level feature meant for non-Pro patched games to utilize the extra system resources to iron out performance kinks.

This game shipped without any Pro upgrades whatsoever. No extra resolution. No added visual effects, no nothing. So, it doesn't matter if you're playing this on a 4K TV or a 1080p display. It will be the same on both.

Traxtech

It should have pro support, no ifs or buts. I bet wolfenstein will have it in spades yet evil within can't even get a simple res boost to 1440p which would help significantly

RedAssedApe

Banned

yes? considering the launch period i don't get why its "lol"

plenty of games to play if you don't pickup this one up right away. not to mention most of us have backlogs. if its anything like prey we're hoping that they at least patch in some pro enhancements later on.

Im not going to call it a trivial amount of work, but Cerny said it would add about 1% to their budget for a pro mode, a AAA publisher should be able to handle that.

nOoblet16

I was getting tons of microstutters yesterday, today I haven't come across even one. I donno what I did, I just closed some background applications and ran it in exclusive fullscreen mode instead of borderless and used the 60FPS cap instead of display based cap.

I was getting tons of microstutters yesterday, today I haven't come across even one. I donno what I did, I just closed some background applications and ran it in exclusive fullscreen mode instead of borderless and used the 60FPS cap instead of display based cap.

Shader Cache build up?

I bought and played TEW1 at launch and I loved the game but despised the letterboxing. They went on to patch it out. Now TEW2 comes along and has no Pro support? Fool me once...

Will buy at a discount when Pro support is added. Also it's frustrating that Sony isn't more stringent with this stuff.

Top Bottom