• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF:The Evil Within 2 PS4/PS4 Pro Analysis

dr guildo

Link

- No pro support
- Native 1080p with solid 30 fps with boost mode
- Regular ps4 only drop fps during cutscenes.
- Visually much better than original game with no black bars.

No pro support is highly disappointing. second Bethesda game with no pro support

giphy.gif

Did they find a workaround to add planar reflections on all mirrors that was very frustrating in the first game especially if use them most of the time? It's not that hard to replicate part of the room and the character to mimic reflections in the other side.

I was getting tons of microstutters yesterday, today I haven't come across even one. I donno what I did, I just closed some background applications and ran it in exclusive fullscreen mode instead of borderless and used the 60FPS cap instead of display based cap.

I get stutters too if I run with display cap instead of 60 fps cap.

So hold on, it's still planned to have One X support or is that gone as well? I guess this will be like Prey, a patch a few weeks later. Isn't this the first game to not have a patch (yet)? I mean they had one for Skyrim and Fallout 4 for Pro, and Dishonored 2 had one too?

belvedere

Junior Butler
So hold on, it's still planned to have One X support or is that gone as well? I guess this will be like Prey, a patch a few weeks later. Isn't this the first game to not have a patch (yet)? I mean they had one for Skyrim and Fallout 4 for Pro, and Dishonored 2 had one too?

Its anyone's guess. Like others have said, maybe there's a possibility that X and Pro will be patched around the same time once the X launches.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's listed as an Xbox X enhanced game on the Xbox website:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/evil-within-2

But it also lists PS4 Pro Enhanced on Sony's US website:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/the-evil-within-2-ps4/

Neither Bethesda nor Tango have directly commented on either version(s) support or the lack there of.

Its anyone's guess. Like others have said, maybe there's a possibility that X and Pro will be patched around the same time once the X launches.

Again, if it turns out to be true, a real bullshit move.

Traxtech

Damn, with Boost Mode on too, right? This is garbage! Where's my PRO support, Bethesda!? :(

Yep, boost mode on too and also on a ssd(which I doubt even changes anything but load times) so I'm pretty unhappy with the overall performance, that plus the input lag and bad controls when aiming on the higher difficulty (no aim assist) is jarring

kc44135

Yep, boost mode on too and also on a ssd(which I doubt even changes anything but load times) so I'm pretty unhappy with the overall performance, that plus the input lag and bad controls when aiming on the higher difficulty (no aim assist) is jarring

Wow, horrible.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What did they do for Prey? I remember it was pretty terrible patch.

The first Pro patch was terrible and added a lot of frame pacing related issues. They fixed it eventually. All told, the Pro updates were pretty bare bones. The game remained at 1080p with just some (not too noticeable) extra visual effects like increased draw distance for light shafts, extra reflections etc over the OG PS4.

The first Pro patch was terrible and added a lot of frame pacing related issues. They fixed it eventually. All told, the Pro updates were pretty bare bones. The game remained at 1080p with just some (not too noticeable) extra visual effects like increased draw distance for light shafts, extra reflections etc over the OG PS4.

I don't think so. SSR alone change the look of the game drastically. Try playing without them and you will see the difference.

So the PS4 Pro version beats out PC, even without Pro options?

No. You can lock the PC to 30 to get equivalent or better to the Pro. But it's not an Arkham Knight situation- plenty of people (myself included) can still get 60 fps on PC. But if you are playing with something less than a 1070 or insist on resolution of 1440p or above then you will probably need to lock to 30.

I find that the engines derived from ID Tech Engines like The Void engine and Stem engine are kinda unoptimized compared to ID Tech 6 which runs very smoothly on all platforms. Dunno if they should have stuck with the base engine rather than their own custom ones.

DOOM is only a little more than a year old. Dishonored 2 and TEW2 were in development too long to wait on iD to finalize iDTech 6.

So the PS4 Pro version beats out PC, even without Pro options?

How is that? Is the PC version that laggy? I saw the exaggerated config needed for recommended but I don't know how the game performs on PC.

I find that the engines derived from ID Tech Engines like The Void engine and Stem engine are kinda unoptimized compared to ID Tech 6 which runs very smoothly on all platforms. Dunno if they should have stuck with the base engine rather than their own custom ones.

I assume some games will not have Pro support until One X is released.

It's listed as an Xbox X enhanced game on the Xbox website:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/evil-within-2

But it also lists PS4 Pro Enhanced on Sony's US website:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/the-evil-within-2-ps4/

Neither Bethesda nor Tango have directly commented on either version(s) support or the lack there of.

Again, if it turns out to be true, a real bullshit move.

Hmmm, does by chance MS have marketing rights for this game? It could be the case. The game looks good and I'm sure in 4K it would look even better. And again, I wonder what resolution it is on Xbox One now because if it's 900p or below, man that shit needs a X patch BAD!

Papacheeks

Banned
DAT UNPRECEDENTED PRO Support!

Yea, I'm with the people in the PC performance thread. It feels weirdly un-optimized.

GPU utilization is pretty high, yet cpu is super low.

No wonder there isn't any meaningful pro features.

nOoblet16

How is that? Is the PC version that laggy? I saw the exaggerated config needed for recommended but I don't know how the game performs on PC.

But idTech 6 is derived from idTech 5 as well. Just because it has a higher number doesn't mean it's totally different, unrelated, written from scratch engine. idTech 6 is just as much of an idtech 5 fork as Void and Stem. They were all created by heavily modified idTech 5 engine according to the developer's needs.

idTech 6's smoothness I had more to do with id itself working on it with ex Crytek employees such as Tiago...who are some of the best in business.

To answer your question over why they made their own custom engine. Tango already developed new tools and workflow for their fork of idTech 5 when they were making the first game, since they had to heavily modify the engine back then when they decided to add dynamic lighting and shadowing to it and also add modern rendering features. So it was natural that they'd make the second game using the same tools that they created and improve something they already knew about (and then slap a new brand name to it to call it their own)...rather than taking on completely new tools yet again !

Although I don't know why Arkane chose to develop their idTech 5 fork when their previous game used Unreal Engine and they had never used idTech 5 before.

Although I don't know why Arkane chose to develop their idTech 5 fork when their previous game used Unreal Engine and they had never used idTech 5 before.

I suspect they didn't have a choice- as DH2 was their first game developed entirely under Bethesda I imagine they were mandated to use an internal engine and idTech 5 would be the current state of the art in 2012.

So many complaints about the lack of pro support... I get it, you were suckered into buying an overpriced console upgrade with minimal enhancements and want all your games to take advantage of it but Sony never mandated it so blame them, not Bethesda.

Renekton

So many complaints about the lack of pro support... I get it, you were suckered into buying an overpriced console upgrade with minimal enhancements and want all your games to take advantage of it but Sony never mandated it so blame them, not Bethesda.
Blaming Sony is not more rational than blaming Bethesda...

Blaming Sony is not more rational than blaming Bethesda...

There's no one forcing Bethesda, or any publisher, to add Pro Support. Ideally, Bethesda would add Pro Support but who knows the reason why they haven't done it. It's Sony's fault for over hyping the Pro and acting as if Pro Support would be mandatory (to the point where some people, even in this thread, are still confused and thought it was mandatory).

Renekton

There's no one forcing Bethesda, or any publisher, to add Pro Support. Ideally, Bethesda would add Pro Support but who knows the reason why they haven't done it. It's Sony's fault for over hyping the Pro and acting as if Pro Support would be mandatory (to the point where some people, even in this thread, are still confused and thought it was mandatory).
AFAIK they didn't, maybe you can gimme a source here.

Ultimately adding Pro support is Bethesda's decision, why would you blame Sony for Bethesda's own decision?

Wish every publisher had a developer like Nixxes attached to them. Nixxes did such a phenomenal job with Rise of the Tomb Raider which still is the best implementation on PS4 Pro from a major third party release!

Top Bottom