• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Patch 1.04 Adds PS4 Pro Support

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
PS4 Pro Support added for:
- Enable Screen-Space Reflections
- Higher quality shadows
- Improved texture appearance
- More texture memory (stable streaming)
- Anisotropy 16x (from 4x)
- Improved visual fidelity
- Less LOD usage
- Dynamic lights show up further
- Particles are allowed to draw more pixels per effect

Full notes here: https://www.reddit.com/r/prey/comments/6eau6p/prey_playstation_4_update_v_104_patch_notes/

Visual updates sound good. Hopefully it also stabilizes the framerate after 1.02 messed it up.

Vashetti

Banned
Don't have the game, but kudos on them for finally delivering.

Scummy how the physical copy advertises Pro support/features though and they've only just added them.

I've had Prey from Gamefly for weeks but due to other games and a ton of commitments, I haven't been able to play it. Glad I waited!

jayu26

Well at least now the back of the box is not a straight up lie.

Digital Foundry, do your thing. Hopefully the framerate is also improved.

Crayon

Gosh on one hand I get it becasue it's just a bit late... on the other... nah fuck the other. They could have just explained this clearly and it would have went over a lot better.

Sounds like a pretty good update, the kind of update that makes it sound like it's going from medium to higher settings when you essentially have like half a GPU of rendering power left over.

The Pro's GPU makes for an an excellent 1080p level card to go with higher settings really if you don't try to focus it just on higher resolutions.

x-Lundz-x

Been waiting for this patch, hope all the deadzones and frame pacing issues are fixed. Will need to confirm before I buy it.

Hostile_18

Banned
So good to see some decent pro support. Outside of the Pro launch games very few have really taken advantage of it other than a resolution boost.... which isn't that exciting.

kc44135

This is very good news. Prey was (AFAIK) the first major AAA game released after the Pro's launch to not offer any kind of support for it, and that was a bit concerning. I'm hoping that, at the very least, every major AAA game released from here on out will offer support and enhancements for both PRO and Scorpio. Still disconcerting that it's not mandatory for Devs to do so, nonetheless.

Man, I really hope all future games have the pro support straight on the disc. At least when the box art mentions it. It shouldn't be a pro "patch". Pro support should be supported right from the beginning, included in the full game.

thelastword

Banned
Sounds very good, seems like everything is Ultra on the PRO. The way it should be frankly...

Ehh, nothing on resolution though, perhaps 1440p????

Though I wished devs would use more checkerboarding....1800p.

Can we please just focus on visuals and frame rates not resolutions.

But that's arguably the point of the Pro. I have a 4K TV and a res bump is infinitely more noticeable than visual fidelity. I'm super happy with this update though and my preference is simply that, a preference!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Has the input lag been fixed yet?

Demo was horrible to play.
The release version was improved from the demo and they've addressed it further in every subsequent patch, unfortunately those messed up the framerate in exchange. Hoping this patch gets it right.

This is what I call real PS4 PRO support. What about the resolution? And the demo? Did they add those features for the demo too? I know many who wnat to try the Demo and expect some PS4 PRO improvements.

Sound very good, seems like everything is on Ultra on the PRO. The way it should be frankly...

Ehh, nothing on resolution though, perhaps 1440p????

Though I wished devs would use more checkerboarding....1800p.

I thought the game already ran at 1440p on PS4 PRO. Anyway even with those improvements, I still think the game could run at 1440p.

Cyriades

So good to see some decent pro support. Outside of the Pro launch games very few have really taken advantage of it other than a resolution boost.... which isn't that exciting.

That's what I'm saying. Lets get a stable 60 frames on 1080p before raising resolutions. These mid gen consoles are not really 4K capable machines.. so why force it

BigEmil

You missed out the 'particle refraction enabled' in the patch note too whatever that is
Anything about adjusting FOV would be nice too
Also seems they improved input lag according to the notes

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is what I call real PS4 PRO support. What about the resolution? And the demo? Did they add those features for the demo too? I know many who wnat to try the Demo and expect some PS4 PRO improvements.

I thought the game already ran at 1440p on PS4 PRO. Anyway even with those improvements, I still thnik the game could run at 1440p.
I don't think they plan on updating the demo since it's old code.

The game shipped without any PS4 Pro enhancements.

thelastword

Banned
Can we please just focus on visuals and frame rates not resolutions.

What are you talking about? Resolution is a top priority for visuals, so why would one be concerned about visuals and not resolution?

In any case, the PRO version will still be 30fps, so don't expect an update to 60fps here. A resolution boost with these visual boosts is pretty much what's expected here. As it stands, the game is already running pretty solid (framerate-wise) on the OG PS4.

Curufinwe

That's what I'm saying. Lets get a stable 60 frames on 1080p before raising resolutions. These mid gen consoles are not really 4K capable machines.. so why force it

You're not going to get 60 FPS in a lot of console games. Doesn't matter what the resolution is.

Why does it need a PS4 Pro for 16x anisotropy? That's a weird one.

I would (kind of blindly) assume that because the PS4 shares memory between the CPU and GPU that AF is more costly than it would be if you had a dedicated GPU with it's own memory bus. Also, I think parallax mapping affects AF cost (maybe not in Prey, though, not a lot of those from what I've seen).

Top Bottom