• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Patch 1.04 Adds PS4 Pro Support

Reallink

So good to see some decent pro support. Outside of the Pro launch games very few have really taken advantage of it other than a resolution boost.... which isn't that exciting.

You probably won't even be able to pick out these "enhancements" zooming in on side by side screen grabs. AF will be the most significant, which shouldn't even be a Pro feature.

You probably won't even be able to pick out these "enhancements" zooming in on side by side screen grabs. AF will be the most significant, which shouldn't even be a Pro feature.

Nonsense. The implementation of screen space reflections alone is huge. This game relies heavily on them for it's art direction and I can't even imagine playing it without them.

Piggus

PS4 Pro still has multiple 60fps titles that's not present on PS4 like The Surge, Infamous SS and FL, No Man's Sky etc

That's just an indication that those are GPU-bound games, not CPU-bound games. Not all games utilize the hardware in the same way.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So after some time the SSR, texture improvements, and AF improvements are obvious but the framerate still isn't as good as it was at launch. Maybe a frame pacing issue? I have trouble telling that apart from some minor frame drops and it seems the issue sprung up from whatever they did to improve the input lag.

What a bunch of bullshit that this wasn't released on Day 1. No excuse for releasing this 3 weeks after release. I just beat the game.

I hear you. Luckily I decided to wait for such a patch and now will restart my playthrough. Suck it is nowadays, getting a game day one is a hazard now.

Just tried it out on a Pro.

The framerate is super smooth now, and deadzones seem to be increased.

I wish the game released with this instead of getting this when I'm 3/4 done.

Awesome!

Looks like the perfect time for me to jump in as soon as i wrap up Nioh :D

jiiikoo

Banned
Hmm, maybe I should pick this up. Watched Markiplier play it for a few minutes and it looked like something I would enjoy. Hmm.

Great news and just in time too.
Bought the game for 30€ and get a fully patched version with PS4 pro support.
Compared to 69€, a mediocre performance and no PS4 Pro support on launch - what are the benefits of preordering or day one again?

Great news and just in time too.
Bought the game for 30€ and get a fully patched version with PS4 pro support.
Compared to 69€, a mediocre performance and no PS4 Pro support on launch - what are the benefits of preordering or day one again?
The preorder bonuses publishers employ to entice fans to give more money for an inferior product.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Working on a video for Prey today. A lot has changed since the launch of the game! It sure doesn't run well anymore, though, huh.

Lucreto

I still have to buy the game. Still working through the backlog.

A quick question, is there a way to buy health packs and ammo in the main game?

The demo didn't have one and ran out if both and no amount of getting good would have gotten me out of it.

I still have to buy the game. Still working through the backlog.

A quick question, is there a way to buy health packs and ammo in the main game?

The demo didn't have one and ran out if both and no amount of getting good would have gotten me out of it.

You need a fabrication plan and enough materials to craft medkits and ammo

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Disappointed that there's no support for higher resolutions, it's my favourite feature of the Pro. 1080p looks soft to me nowadays.

ookami

Seeing how developers were reluctant on having more work because of the PS4 Pro at the last GDC survey I'm not even surprised. We're getting a development cycle on console closer to PC.
As to the mention of PS4 Pro support you might want ask Bethesda and not Arkane Studio. The publisher handle advertising, marketing and manufacturing.

BeeDog

Just booted up an older save file and ran around to check the improvements. Controls feel a little bit refined over the previous patch, the texture streaming is indeed better, the screenspace reflections are quite obvious and a nice touch but the juddering and tearing is still driving me crazy.

I'm still split over whether I prefer better controls and judder/tearing/framedrops over perfect consistency and input lag... Gah. Too bad they can't just fix it all :(

twisted89

Didn't they say every game had to launch with pro support when it initially released? I don't think patching in a couple weeks later counts.

bacardi

There's really no excuse for this game to run so poorly on the Pro, I guess it boils down to budget and development times. Seeing games like Horizon (i can live with 30 fps in that game) makes me feel that anything with the graphics quality of Prey should do 60 FPS without a sweat on the Pro.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There's really no excuse for this game to run so poorly on the Pro, I guess it boils down to budget and development times. Seeing games like Horizon (i can live with 30 fps in that game) makes me feel that anything with the graphics quality of Prey should do 60 FPS without a sweat on the Pro.
This game can hold a stable 30fps on consoles with ease - that's not what's causing the performance issue.

Peterthumpa

The game is now clearly struggling to reach its 30 FPS target. Frame pacing and tearing seems to be an issue as well.

My guess is that the backlash about no Pro support prompted the devs to add it quickly and the whole thing ended up being half assed.

The important thing imo, which is IQ, hasn't improved at all. What a disappointment.

Tarnpanzer

The game is now clearly struggling to reach its 30 FPS target. Frame pacing and tearing seems to be an issue as well.

My guess is that the backlash about no Pro support prompted the devs to add it quickly and the whole thing ended up being half assed.

Maybe. Guess we need another patch to fix performance issues.

What about input-lag? Has this been fixed?

psychotron

Working on a video for Prey today. A lot has changed since the launch of the game! It sure doesn't run well anymore, though, huh.

Shit. I was hoping they'd fix the performance, on Pro at least. It runs well enough on XB1 but I've had a few areas with odd drops, such as shipping and receiving. This game deserves so much better.

nOoblet16

Why does it need a PS4 Pro for 16x anisotropy? That's a weird one.
It's not weird at all. Pro has more bandwidth available than base.

And contrary to what people think AF these days is not free, not even on PC. You can see a good 3-5FPS drop between 16xAF and no AF. And this is on PC, on consoles this gap can be larger because console games are engineered to use every bit of bandwidth available which means when it comes to AF, i.e. something with a lower priority than other bandwidth intensive tasks, not much is left and as such you can't do 16xAF while maintaining the performance. Even something like ~3FPS is already ~10% of 30FPS..which is what most console games target...so it is significant.

BeeDog

The important thing imo, which is IQ, hasn't improved at all. What a disappointment.

The game started struggling already with the previous patch. This Pro patch doesn't seem to have noticeably worsened the performance since 1.02.

FHIZ

::hears added pro support::

Hmm. Hope Best Buy has a sale soon

::hears tearing and frame pacing now a problem::

Well, not too soon

nOoblet16

I'm waiting for dynamic lighting for the flashlight, although i already finished the game on PC : /
You mean turn the flashlight into a shadow casting lightsource ?

It's amazing how it wasn't already a thing, a current gen CryEngine FPS that doesn't have a shadow casting flashlight is just weird.

Tyaren

That is some nice 1080p support that we see rarely on Pro. After Paragon and Tomb Raider I had hoped that much more games would concentrate on a 1080p mode which improves the visual fidelity considerably.

horkrux

This this false. You spread this misinformation frequently.

Pro Support is, in fact, what you label as Pro Enhancements

They are the same

A game running on the Pro is not Pro Support as that compatibility is natural, its the same gen, its still PS4. ?

Games were all supposedly required to launch with proper Pro Support, meaning enhancements , even if all that meant was improved FR stability or higher resolution output (with no other benefits) for 4k displays

The standard has not been met by many devs this far and it's a problem that Scorpio is aiming to mop the floor with the Pro in regards to

These are facts

No, he's pretty much right. 1080p and same or better FPS is all you have to do. That's the standard. Real enhancements were never required. Every new release is pretty much required to run in Pro mode, but that seems to happen automatically when you compile the game, so it's not like you can ship it without it.
I guess it's kind of disingenuous to use that sticker when you add nothing, but that's a different story.

I don't know how Scorpio is supposed to fix that, I don't think they said anything about mandatory enhancements? They said they wanted to retroactively add AFx16 and Vsync to older titles, but I don't know how this will be handled with newer releases.

Budi

It's pathetic that bethesda shipped the game with pro support labeled on the box and took almost a month to patch it in.

Sony should not allow a situation like prey to happen again. Luckily i didn't buy the game but I've already beaten it.

You want them to go into retail stores attaching stickers to already shipped game boxes when their planned improvements hit? And (under) a month isn't really that long of time.

Even GTA V PS3 version has "2-16 players" back at the box. But there was no multiplayer at launch.

Top Bottom