• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Patch 1.04 Adds PS4 Pro Support

Games were all supposedly required to launch with proper Pro Support, meaning enhancements , even if all that meant was improved FR stability or higher resolution output (with no other benefits) for 4k displays

The standard has not been met by many devs this far and it's a problem that Scorpio is aiming to mop the floor with the Pro in regards to

These are facts
No, they absolutely are not facts. You could not be more wrong.

First, games were never required to have enhancements. Sony said they'd ask their partners to do so, but devs were free to do as they wished with Pro.

Second, Scorpio is almost completely the same. Just like Sony, Microsoft have said that devs are free to address the new machine however they like. If they decide not to have any enhancements, then AF will automatically be bumped up. But that's the only thing Scorpio will do that Pro doesn't. All other enhancements, for both machines, require explicit dev patches.

burgerdog

You mean turn the flashlight into a shadow casting lightsource ?

It's amazing how it wasn't already a thing, a current gen CryEngine FPS that doesn't have a shadow casting flashlight is just weird.

This was almost a deal breaker when I first played the demo. Huge missed opportunity.

BigEmil

The game is now clearly struggling to reach its 30 FPS target. Frame pacing and tearing seems to be an issue as well.

My guess is that the backlash about no Pro support prompted the devs to add it quickly and the whole thing ended up being half assed.

The important thing imo, which is IQ, hasn't improved at all. What a disappointment.
Sounds about right

Gator86

Working on a video for Prey today. A lot has changed since the launch of the game! It sure doesn't run well anymore, though, huh.

Interested to see how it goes. Tearing is really the only unforgivable performance issue for me. It is so distracting and irritating I can't deal with it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The game is now clearly struggling to reach its 30 FPS target. Frame pacing and tearing seems to be an issue as well.

My guess is that the backlash about no Pro support prompted the devs to add it quickly and the whole thing ended up being half assed.

The important thing imo, which is IQ, hasn't improved at all. What a disappointment.

The performance issues have existed since patch 1.02. I think it has to do with how they tackled the input lag, which bums me out. The release version already had it reduced from the demo and it wasn't bad with smooth performance. Now the performance is distracting.

Can we please just focus on visuals and frame rates not resolutions.

giphy.gif

Ummm...isn't the Pro advertised as a 4k console? Why wouldn't you attempt to get that resolution?

Prey is deal of the week on PSN. It is not heavily discounted but still good enough for those who want to try the new PS4 PRO enhancements.

I'm waiting for dynamic lighting for the flashlight, although i already finished the game on PC : /

It's amazing how it wasn't already a thing, a current gen CryEngine FPS that doesn't have a shadow casting flashlight is just weird.

Weird that that they didn't include sth as basic even on standard PS4. I hope they add it soon at least on PS4 PRO.
I wonder how close now the PS4 PRO version to the maxed out settings especially if they kept the same resolution and are still running at 30 FPS.

BigEmil

Lol I wouldnt even be shocked to discover it was both the same footage and they tried to do the pepsi challenge there
I wouldn't be surprised if this is PC footage tried to look like base PS4 then just up some settings according to the patch notes on the other.
ElAnalistaBits comparison channel was exposed doing that lol with the Snake Pass Switch vs PS4 comparison where Switch had higher settings than it actually does

nOoblet16

Prey is deal of the week on PSN. It is not heavily discounted but still good enough for those who want to try the new PS4 PRO enhancements.

Weird that that they didn't include sth as basic even on standard PS4. I hope they add it soon at least on PS4 PRO.
I wonder how close now the PS4 PRO version to the maxed out settings especially if they kept the same resolution and are still running at 30 FPS.
It won't be added, even the PC version lacks it.

nkarafo

Yes.

I actually found one of those scattered light source items/lamps that did cause shadow casting (most of them don't). So i picked it up and explored a dark room with it. It looked amazing and much more atmospheric. I have no idea why they didn't at least add an option to toggle this on/off for the PC version, if they were so worried about performance (i didn't notice any performance hit on my mid-range PC tbh).

I mean, flashlights with no dynamic lights are so 2001.

Top Bottom