• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Patch 1.04 Adds PS4 Pro Support

BigEmil

CPU is the main bottleneck for framerate on the Pro. It's only a 31% increase in CPU power compared to base model while it has a 230% increase in GPU.
PS4 Pro still has multiple 60fps titles that's not present on PS4 like The Surge, Infamous SS and FL, No Man's Sky etc

Cyriades

CPU is the main bottleneck for framerate on the Pro. It's only a 31% increase in CPU power compared to base model while it has a 230% increase in GPU.

No, I don't think it's technologically feasible on a PS4 Pro for all games, and even if it were, the focus simply isn't there.

Resolution vs graphics quality, what is more important?
Pro owners will give you two different answers because there are two different answers.

Some want 4K resolution, some want better 1080p performance and visuals. Pro patches usually (but not always) provide both.

Personally, I'm all about solid framerates and strong AA at 1080p. But 4K TV owners want that high resolution action too.

Why does it need a PS4 Pro for 16x anisotropy? That's a weird one.

4x AF has been pretty common this gen.

I would (kind of blindly) assume that because the PS4 shares memory between the CPU and GPU that AF is more costly than it would be if you had a dedicated GPU with it's own memory bus. Also, I think parallax mapping affects AF cost (maybe not in Prey, though, not a lot of those from what I've seen).

I wish The Order 1886 was updated to support PS4 PRO. The game had great textures with good parallax mapping but the lack of anistropic filtering at long distance was killing it and when it had good AF, the textures lacked some bumps.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just tried it out on a Pro.

The framerate is super smooth now, and deadzones seem to be increased.

I wish the game released with this instead of getting this when I'm 3/4 done.

Cyriades

Pro owners will give you two different answers because there are two different answers.

Some want 4K resolution, some want better 1080p performance and visuals. Pro patches usually (but not always) provide both.

Personally, I'm all about solid framerates and strong AA at 1080p. But 4K TV owners want that high resolution action too.

So true, we could get all games on PRO 4k 60 with low graphic settings.. but who wants that?

For instance, say you have a computer that could run some game on low at 1440p smoothly, but at 1080p you can run it medium/high. Which will provide the best experience, the extra pixels or the smoother textures?

I'm with you, I rather have solid framerates and strong AA at 1080p.

Just tried it out on a Pro.

The framerate is super smooth now, and deadzones seem to be increased.

I wish the game released with this instead of getting this when I'm 3/4 done.

Thanks for the impressions! I'm glad I stopped right when you get the boost pack then.

RedAssedApe

Banned
fyi 39.99 at target this week. for some reason you can't currently buy it on amazon but they usually will pricematch if enough people submit competitor pricing

i think dishonored 2 still doesn't have any pro support (might just be 1080p users though)?

Xe4

Banned
Playing it on Xbox, but glad it's got pro support now. Maybe some people will buy it. It's an amazing game that gets far too little recognition. Probably my GOTY as of now.

napata

PS4 Pro still has multiple 60fps titles that's not present on PS4 like The Surge, Infamous SS and FL, etc

That just means those games were mainly GPU depended even up to 60 fps. You won't find a lot of those. Infamous SS has an unlocked framerate that's often in the 40's so it's hardly a 30 -> 60 fps jump. I couldn't really find any FPS tests either so I don't know how stable the framerate is on the Pro. What's FL btw?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
fyi 39.99 at target this week. for some reason you can't currently buy it on amazon but they usually will pricematch if enough people submit competitor pricing

i think dishonored 2 still doesn't have any pro support (might just be 1080p users though)?
Dishonored 2 is 1440p but doesn't downsample

It's pathetic that bethesda shipped the game with pro support labeled on the box and took almost a month to patch it in.

Sony should not allow a situation like prey to happen again. Luckily i didn't buy the game but I've already beaten it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Great to see they added Pro support. I can finally pick the game up now when it goes on sale.

Loved Dishonored 2 and based on everything Ive read this is just as good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That just means those games were mainly GPU depended even up to 60 fps. You won't find a lot of those. Infamous SS has an unlocked framerate that's often in the 40's so it's hardly a 30 -> 60 fps jump. I couldn't really find any FPS tests either so I don't know how stable the framerate is on the Pro. What's FL btw?
FL is First Light, the standalone expansion to Second Son

Neither are locked but they stay upper 50s most of the time. They also do have 1800c modes with the same performance profile as the base PS4

thelastword

Banned
I believe PRO can do 1080p 60 frames with high graphics.. withstanding developers
Well tbh, we don't disagree here, some people may say the CPU's are weak, but I don't believe this game is so CPU bound....The RX 480 run this at over 100fps at 1080p on very high settings, the 1060 reaches highs of 155fps at the same rez at best settings too, so I think 60fps/1080p at very high settings is possible on PRO...

Hell, even if it's CPU bound, which I very much doubt looking at this title, I believe an unlocked mode with ultra settings would play much better than a plain 30fps....on PRO.

Resolution vs graphics quality, what is more important?
We disagree here, I believe both are important...I was never one who ranked up all graphical settings to play at 480p resolution. Visuals are increasingly crisper and sharper at high rez and you can resolve much more of that detail at a higher resolution. It makes no sense to have the best textures on or the best filtering or the best shadows on when your resolution remains low....

In any case, the PRO can do the best visuals with a nice boost in resolution. You don't have to sacrifice one for another in this scenario....

The best bet here is for the devs to offer us a 1800cb -2160cb 30fps mode and a 1080p 60fps mode as well.....

Smokey

It's pathetic that bethesda shipped the game with pro support labeled on the box and took almost a month to patch it in.

Sony should not allow a situation like prey to happen again. Luckily i didn't buy the game but I've already beaten it.

Definitely agree. They need to take more control of the Pro situation.

thelastword

Banned
I wish The Order 1886 was updated to support PS4 PRO. The game had great textures with good parallax mapping but the lack of anistropic filtering at long distance was killing it and when it had good AF, the textures lacked some bumps.
Hey, I swear, update The Order 1886 and Driveclub to 1800CB or 2160CB with 16xAF, 8XMSAA with TAA and I will ask for nothing more...I swear.....

Come to think of it, I hope Sony has some surprise PRO patch announcements ready for E3....Apart from those mentioned above...Bloodborne, Until Dawn and Unity would be nice to have patched.....However, if they only gave us 1886 and DC...I'd be fine.....

Not even 1440p? The rest of the improvements sound good, but that's kind of lame tbh
I don't think we have all the receipts on the patch yet.....

Is this something you turn on in the menu or does the game automatically know its running on a PRO and switch on the higher effects on its own?

cakely

I was under the impression that it Pro support was in (according to the back of the box) and that it just did nothing.

I wonder what happened?

Skatterd

Just got the game on Sunday and was pretty disappointed, but it runs great now! Even more glad I got it (and it's a great game either way)

thelastword

Banned
I was under the impression that all "AAA" games were supposed to support Pro features at launch 😶.
Well technically, once the PRO supports 1080p resolution and is not worse in performance than the base PS4, that's considered PRO support, but we expect more because the GPU uplift is strong enough to do much more than that....and veritably so because we bought that pro for better performance, 4k, Checkerboarding resolutions, 16xAF, better AA and all that Jazz.....so anything below that is uncivilized....( a la Hulk Hogan)...

psychotron

I'll be buying a Pro copy after I finish my XB1 version. Game is amazing and I'd love to play through again with these improvements.

SenkiDala

They probably had no intention to buy it anyways. It's like that every thread.

Well I'm talking for myself obviously, but since 2 years I wait to buy games because 1: prices drop fast, and 2: I then buy the "all patched" version, which is what I want to play.

I've been kinda upset by some "unfinished" games on this gen, like Witcher 3 for exemple (but it's obviously not the only one). And pay 50€ day one for a game that will be priced 25€ by the time it's fully patched... well, it's not for me anymore.

But yes I'll buy Prey, I've really been looking forward to it.

I've been kinda upset by some "unfinished" games on this gen, like Witcher 3 for exemple (but it's obviously not the only one). And pay 50€ day one for a game that will be priced 25€ by the time it's fully patched... well, it's not for me anymore.
That's the lesson most game releases this gen have put forward. Waiting for an update or two makes for a great time to jump in. Prices are lower and the biggest gripes are usually tackled in some form by then if not altogether fixed.

Every game I've waited a few months on has been worth it.

Well technically, once the PRO supports 1080p resolution and is not worse in performance than the base PS4, that's considered PRO support, but we expect more because the GPU uplift is strong enough to do much more than that....and veritably so because we bought that pro for better performance, 4k, Checkerboarding resolutions, 16xAF, better AA and all that Jazz.....so anything below that is uncivilized....( a la Hulk Hogan)...

This this false. You spread this misinformation frequently.

Pro Support is, in fact, what you label as Pro Enhancements

They are the same

A game running on the Pro is not Pro Support as that compatibility is natural, its the same gen, its still PS4. ?

Games were all supposedly required to launch with proper Pro Support, meaning enhancements , even if all that meant was improved FR stability or higher resolution output (with no other benefits) for 4k displays

The standard has not been met by many devs this far and it's a problem that Scorpio is aiming to mop the floor with the Pro in regards to

These are facts

From what I've played of Prey, it's a bit more open but has a scale similar to the Bioshock Collection which targeted 60fps on standard PS4. Prey isn't much of a looker compared to Bioshock either. Maybe it's the engine they used that prevented it from running better.

BigEmil

From what I've played of Prey, it's a bit more open but has a scale similar to the Bioshock Collection which targeted 60fps on standard PS4. Prey isn't much of a looker compared to Bioshock either. Maybe it's the engine they used that prevented it from running better.
There's alot of physics in Prey, physics is demanding.

Also, cryengine isn't so optimised for performance.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Whelp, glad I didn't buy the game before it was patched. Here's hoping we get a DF or NXGamer video on this soon so we can see the improvements and specifically what (if any) improvements are in the controls.

edit: would have loved a resolution boost as well. Homefront shows that you can do a great Pro patch, increase resolution to 1440p and not lose performance.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They probably had no intention to buy it anyways. It's like that every thread.
PS4 version of this game (maybe Xbox as well I don't know) was plagued with most severe input lag I've seen since probably KZ2 or UC3 at launch, before they patched it. It seriously affected playability. On top of that, they wrote on the box that Pro is supported, but not only it wasn't, they didn't even comment if it ever will be. You have to admit that this combo wouldn't exactly instill confidence in a potentially undecided buyer. I liked the stuff that happened in the demo, but decided this was a definite wait and see, just because of the input lag alone. I was actually debating just the other day whether I should buy the PC version for my laptop, which is noticeably weaker for gaming than Pro, just to have a version that will be easier to play, even if it's uglier. When I gravitate towards buying a game for a weaker hardware on which I don't normally prefer playing games, it should tel you enough how much I thought the PS4 version was compromised.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Playing now and the framerate still feels kind of sketchy. Haven't been in a good area to show off many improvements either, although texture improvements are noticeable.

Already finished it and unless they releas a patch to substantially reduce the abhorrent load times, I'll look into the PC version on the cheap for a future playthrough.

Top Bottom